Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Music (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Official Jazz Theory Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116892)

MalteDK 09-02-2004 01:21 PM

[url]www.wholenote.com[/url] has a pretty extensive section of jazz lessons (scales, some chord progressions and "little jazzy riffs"). All the lessons are made in tabs so you can easily figure them out. this is really a useful site, for beginners and advanced people.

(if you wanna know anything about modes/scales just search the database at wholenote, and you will definatly get a lot of results)

go check that out, and if you still dont understand it; just come back here again - someone will surely help you out! :thumb:

LiL_MaN 09-02-2004 07:14 PM

yea..i been there before, it helps a bit, but takes me a while to finger the chords and stuff....thanks, i got some stuff from there...

any one else got ne scales or riffs?

Spastic: How long hav you been playing/learning?

spastic 09-03-2004 10:36 PM

I've been playing guitar for almost 3 years now, and although I've always studied theory (mainly learned some scales), I really started learning theory about a year and a half ago.

jazzfunkboy 09-10-2004 07:12 PM

i have a questin about a chord symbol:

what does this mean: G/C?

is it a cmaj chord with g as a bass note? or is it a combination of both chords? or something else all together?

spastic 09-10-2004 09:14 PM

Almost got it, but it's a Gmaj with a C in the bass.

jazzfunkboy 09-11-2004 10:27 AM

ahh, okay thanks :)

masone81 09-28-2004 02:33 PM

Which is actually Cmaj9 with no 3rd. And that's the way I think of it. It's easier for some people to think G/C, however. It just depends on how you learned.

My name is Mason, btw. I'm a 23 year old jazz pianist from Pittsburgh. Nice thread you have here.

Mason

jazzfunkboy 09-28-2004 05:32 PM

[QUOTE=masone81]Which is actually Cmaj9 with no 3rd. And that's the way I think of it. It's easier for some people to think G/C, however. It just depends on how you learned.

My name is Mason, btw. I'm a 23 year old jazz pianist from Pittsburgh. Nice thread you have here.

Mason[/QUOTE]

hey man, welcome. id probably play the G triad or something, but add an E somewhere so it sounds like its a G major and a C major at the same time.

XAsTheRootsUndoX 09-29-2004 11:19 PM

i like to analyze with Lydian Chromatic Concept of Tonal Organization, in which each small phrase is analyzed as a certain chord in a certain lydian scale, changing chords and scales but the same degree [ie, D7 (II in C lydian) to E7b5 (II in D auxiliary diminished lydian)

different lydian scales are (all degrees are relative to major):
Lydian : I II III +IV V VI VII
Lydian Augmented : I II III +IV +V VI VII
Lydian Diminished : I II bIII +IV V VI VII
Lydian Flat Seventh (Dominant) : I II III +IV V VI bVII
Auxiliary Augmented : I II III +IV +V bVII
Auxiliary Diminished : I II bIII IV +IV +V VI VII
Auiliary Diminished Blues : I bII bIII III +IV V VI bVII

the tonic of the phrase is based on the type of chord:
Chord Type - Chord Degree That Is the Tonic
Major/Altered Major - Tonic
Seventh/Altered Seventh - m7
Major With 3rd in Bass/Minor +5 - m6/+5
Minor Seventh b5/Major with +IV in Bass - o5/+4
Major With 5th in Bass - P5
Minor/Altered Minor - m3
Major With 7th in Bass/Seventh With b9 - m2
Seventh +5 - M3

Those are the basics, as complicated as they are.

Samuel 10-18-2004 10:17 PM

Can we get a mod to delete this stuff?

Frankenstrat 10-22-2004 09:24 PM

This is a good thread i didnt go through all of it but maybe someone should post some stuff on harmonic movement (Where you imply different chord tones). Also its great that all the scales and stuff are listed but you cant just play a scale over a solo! Ive seen many a player(including myself) just go up and down scales and it sounds horrible. ALl the great jazz guitar players used simple arpeggios and made lines, created movement, used space.

spastic 10-25-2004 04:54 PM

Of course, but those arpeggios come from scales. Musicians should understand the connection between scales, chords, and arpeggios. They are pretty much one and the same.

jazzfunkboy 10-25-2004 05:07 PM

[QUOTE=spastic]Of course, but those arpeggios come from scales. Musicians should understand the connection between scales, chords, and arpeggios. They are pretty much one and the same.[/QUOTE]

you have to know the scales before you can improvise in them. thats why we stress the fact that scales are mandatory to learning to improvise. but you definatly cant just run up and down scales when soloing. that is all the math with no feeling.

Lenny Breau 10-28-2004 11:16 PM

One question, is a dominant 7th a 1 3 5 and a flat 7 or sharp 7

spastic 10-29-2004 04:28 PM

Flat 7.

Zappa 10-29-2004 08:42 PM

Sorry it took me so long to delete all those, I don't read this thread much. I'm also sorry I can't do anything more than that ugly "soft-delete" deal.

safarovnet 11-08-2004 07:02 PM

JAZZ-MUGHAM !?
listen here [url]http://www.safarov.net[/url]

ZEROthirtythree 11-09-2004 08:12 PM

I would like some explanation of time signatures. I know 19/8 means 19 8th notes in each measure, and 3/4 is 3 quarter notes in each measure, but...:

I need to know how to find the time signature in songs, and how to make songs using time signatures.

Omega Red 11-11-2004 11:43 AM

oh i have a quick question.
does a 9, 11, or 13th chord indacate that a dominant 7 should be play if its written like this
C13 - A13 - F13 - D13

MikeJump 11-11-2004 12:51 PM

[QUOTE=ZEROthirtythree]I would like some explanation of time signatures. I know 19/8 means 19 8th notes in each measure, and 3/4 is 3 quarter notes in each measure, but...:

I need to know how to find the time signature in songs, and how to make songs using time signatures.[/QUOTE]

tap your foot.. find a beat
then use your best judgment.

if its your songs.. make sure it timed perfectly.. with a metronome these work in any time i think

jazzfunkboy 11-11-2004 06:31 PM

[QUOTE=quatre07]oh i have a quick question.
does a 9, 11, or 13th chord indacate that a dominant 7 should be play if its written like this
C13 - A13 - F13 - D13[/QUOTE]

yes those chords would be dominant. a major 13 would look like this: Cmaj13

Omega Red 11-12-2004 02:34 AM

[QUOTE=jazzfunkboy]yes those chords would be dominant. a major 13 would look like this: Cmaj13[/QUOTE]
thought so thanks,
now what does G-7 mean??

spastic 11-12-2004 02:43 AM

Gmin7

Dashes mean minor, triangles mean major, little circles (like degrees) mean diminished, and a little circle with a line through it means half-diminished (min7b5).

Charlemagne 11-15-2004 02:58 PM

I apologize if a similar question has been asked or answered at some point but there was something that confused me... In one of those lessons at the beginning I read this...

"Sometimes chords will list alterations in its usual tensions, and it is very important to pay attention to these. For instance, sometimes you will see a C b9 b13. This means that the normal tones (1, 3, 5, 7) willbe dominant, but the tensions will be b9, 11, b13. So, a C b9 b13 will be played like C E G Bb Db F Ab."

The construction of this chord confuses me. I know in C major there are no sharps or flats, so the normal tones would be C E G B of a 1 3 5 7, I think... and then the b9, 11, and b13, tensions are added the chord would be... C E G B Db F Ab. Again I apologize and that Bb might be a typo or something but is C E G B Db F Ab the correct tones for that C b9 b13?

spastic 11-15-2004 06:09 PM

The chord I was listing was a dominant chord. It actually should have been written C7 b9 b13, which means the chord tones would be 1 3 5 b7 b9 11 b13, or C E G Bb Db F Ab. If the chord was a major chord, then you would be correct (although a b9 and b13 on a major chord would be very odd, but hey, it could happen).

jazzfunkboy 11-15-2004 06:12 PM

[QUOTE=Charlemagne]I apologize if a similar question has been asked or answered at some point but there was something that confused me... In one of those lessons at the beginning I read this...

"Sometimes chords will list alterations in its usual tensions, and it is very important to pay attention to these. For instance, sometimes you will see a C b9 b13. This means that the normal tones (1, 3, 5, 7) willbe dominant, but the tensions will be b9, 11, b13. So, a C b9 b13 will be played like C E G Bb Db F Ab."

The construction of this chord confuses me. I know in C major there are no sharps or flats, so the normal tones would be C E G B of a 1 3 5 7, I think... and then the b9, 11, and b13, tensions are added the chord would be... C E G B Db F Ab. Again I apologize and that Bb might be a typo or something but is C E G B Db F Ab the correct tones for that C b9 b13?[/QUOTE]

when a chord is listed as dominant it means the seventh is flatted. so the major 7 of a C chord (B) would become (Bb).

i also have a question on this passage. the word "tensions" in this sense means added tones that are out of key, right? sort of like its what gives that chord its color?

ZEROthirtythree 11-15-2004 06:13 PM

[QUOTE=MikeJump]tap your foot.. find a beat
then use your best judgment.

if its your songs.. make sure it timed perfectly.. with a metronome these work in any time i think[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll try.

Quick Question: What is the highest note on a 24 fretted guitar? I know the lowest is E2.

Maveryck 11-15-2004 07:24 PM

[QUOTE=ZEROthirtythree]Thanks, I'll try.

Quick Question: What is the highest note on a 24 fretted guitar? I know the lowest is E2.[/QUOTE]

E6.

(Not to be confused with the chord. :p)

spastic 11-15-2004 09:07 PM

[QUOTE=jazzfunkboy]when a chord is listed as dominant it means the seventh is flatted. so the major 7 of a C chord (B) would become (Bb).

i also have a question on this passage. the word "tensions" in this sense means added tones that are out of key, right? sort of like its what gives that chord its color?[/QUOTE]

Color is a better term than out of key, but you have the idea.

Mr. Orange 11-19-2004 08:53 AM

I am glad i found this site, i have many questions haha, but i read through this thread and i thought it was very helpfull. Here's my first question. I learnt the basic, Dorian and the rest of those major modes, i gues you would call them. But i saw thta there are many more different types , and some were to (2cn degree) and (5th degree) what dose that mean? So what is a degree? and is dorian and phrygian in one group and for example the harmonic minor in a different group with an entire different set of modes to accompany it? if so where would i find out what modes go with other modes? thanks in advance bro