Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Jam Session (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   The**OFFICIAL**Voice/Singing Help Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370155)

ILOVESCREAMO 07-30-2005 04:54 PM

i need help on singing screamo

i really need help on singing screamo. my voice is wierd and i cant really "scream". when i try my voice turns into a whisper scream. i want to know how to sing screamo. like what to do when im screaming. i need big help so please give me some tips. i wanna be able to do screamo like underoath. there new and old stuff

HitHardDrums55 07-30-2005 09:31 PM

dont worry about singing like a certain person....its altering your voice and its not good for you...keep it your own and unique if you have a distinctive voice, more power to you! more people will remember your voice...can definately be a good thing i think coheed and cambria is the only one id say its a bad thing for...everybody else...amazing

crazyguy832 07-30-2005 09:45 PM

Hey, uh, I was wondering if anyone knew some exercises to improve screaming stamina. Right now, I can only scream for about 10-15 seconds straight, and 1-2 minutes with breaks before my throat starts to hurt and I stop (don't wanna damage the poor thing >_<).

FYI, I'm doing low screaming.

HitHardDrums55 07-30-2005 09:53 PM

drink A LOT of water
it will keep it moist obviously and will sort of help keep it from being damaged
practice gradually screaming longer and longer every day...but dont go too fast or you will damage your throat
if you start to ruin your throat, see a throat doctor as soon as possible and get it checked out, and take a break from screaming...thats all i really know just the obvious stuff im not much of a scream kind of guy

Merkaba 07-31-2005 06:14 AM

[QUOTE=crazyguy832]Hey, uh, I was wondering if anyone knew some exercises to improve screaming stamina. Right now, I can only scream for about 10-15 seconds straight, and 1-2 minutes with breaks before my throat starts to hurt and I stop (don't wanna damage the poor thing >_<).

FYI, I'm doing low screaming.[/QUOTE]
Screaming stamina comes from singing stamina. You have to be able to hold the cords shape. Lower screams means that your cords are thicker which allows for more pushing but this means more force...so if youre squeezing your throat or just using too much push, you'll know it sooner or later....usually sooner. As i always say...practice singing more...singing harder...but making sure that youre getting a good note....meaning that the cords are holding their shape. You can get stronger from trying to squat 500lbs, But you'll get their faster if you work out with the 300 that you can do now , then add 50lbs per month, and you also run way less of a risk of hurting yourself. ....Same thing here!

[QUOTE=ILOVESCREAMO]i really need help on singing screamo. my voice is wierd and i cant really "scream". when i try my voice turns into a whisper scream. i want to know how to sing screamo. like what to do when im screaming. i need big help so please give me some tips. i wanna be able to do screamo like underoath. there new and old stuff[/QUOTE]
Practice singing normally and holding notes normally, then add more push, then more then more. But you have to be able to sing hard and hold the note before you can scream obviously. Screaming or adding the rasp will come naturally when you can push hard enough...but if your cords and muscles arent strong enough to hold their shape...unvibrated air will just slip through and you'll get whisper sounds, breaks, and just general shltty sound. Fortunately for me I have a very, almost scary range of influences, so I can sing Sarah Mclachlan songs that I like,Prince to work on something else, or Mudvayne. Crazy. So many of you guys that only like to sing underoath type of stuff need to be careful as you attempt to jump across the gap of normal vocal growth.

ILOVESCREAMO 07-31-2005 08:39 AM

ok ill practice singing with force cuz i know how to sing. i was forced to be in choir for two years straight. so ill work on screaming. thx

Merkaba 08-01-2005 05:32 AM

check out my voicehelp hotline too. It should be on this 1st or 2nd page or the next of the jams session.

csyn 08-01-2005 08:30 PM

Okay so I learned how to scream recently. Which is cool and its good, but I can't seem to get the falsetto scream down. I think I'm doing it right, but when it comes out it comes out like a deep scream. Any advice

Merkaba 08-02-2005 12:46 AM

I would say keep practicing. Most falsetto screams arent really falsetto voice anyways, but are head with alot of rasp.

fenderplayer1100 08-02-2005 09:59 AM

Hey, I just started singing a month ago...I don't have a vocal coach or anything, but the singer that i'm TRYING to mimic is Freddie Mercury....Well first off when I wake up and try to sing along with Queen songs I can't hit certain notes because of flem blockage in my through. How do i get rid of the flem....and could u tell me some warm-ups that u guys use to prepare for singing. And did Freddy Mercury use his head voice in the song "Killer Queen". Oh and another thing...Sometimes when i try to hit some really high notes I end up sounding like Kurmet the Frog...Does anyone know how to stop that from happening? Thanks

HitHardDrums55 08-02-2005 10:47 AM

[QUOTE]Sometimes when i try to hit some really high notes I end up sounding like Kurmet the Frog[/QUOTE]

hahaha to me, when glenn danzig does realllllly low notes sometimes he sounds like that!

Merkaba 08-03-2005 12:51 AM

[QUOTE=fenderplayer1100]Hey, I just started singing a month ago...I don't have a vocal coach or anything, but the singer that i'm TRYING to mimic is Freddie Mercury....Well first off when I wake up and try to sing along with Queen songs I can't hit certain notes because of flem blockage in my through. How do i get rid of the flem....and could u tell me some warm-ups that u guys use to prepare for singing. And did Freddy Mercury use his head voice in the song "Killer Queen". Oh and another thing...Sometimes when i try to hit some really high notes I end up sounding like Kurmet the Frog...Does anyone know how to stop that from happening? Thanks[/QUOTE]
Keep your tongue relaxed...it will help with the kermit thing. Try to keep the tip maybe barely on your bottom front teeth. Not pushing hard though. And try to feel the back of your tongue wanting to rub your top back teeth. (cuspids? bicuspids? whatever). Now dont take this to the extreme but just see if youre close to it or what your tendencies are when singing higher true voice that is. Falsetto is kinda a different animal but in general you just dont want your tongue to stiffen or to push back and or down.

Majic 08-03-2005 01:26 AM

[b]Primadonna Or Stage Fright?[/b]

[QUOTE=ThePinkPanther]oh and a question for the thread, i don't think my singer likes his voice, but its perfectly fine. Is there any way to make him more confident.[/QUOTE]
It's easy to dismiss this as a personality problem, but speaking as someone who had a very hard time with this, I don't think this is something you can sweep under the rug and expect to go away.

It takes some serious cojones to be able to stand up in front of people, look them in the eye, and sing. And it takes the big brass variety of cojones to stand up in front of people, look them in the eye, and [i]blow it[/i].

When a guitarist hits one off into the weeds during a solo, he can usually recover and people will generally understand that guitar solos are hard. No big deal.

When a vocalist hits a sour note, however, well, that's not only a sign of a bad vocalist, but a bad [i]person[/i] as well.

Sound a bit much? Think about your own reactions to each of these situations and decide for yourself.

A vocalist who misses notes gets absolutely no respect -- much less than instrumentalists who do likewise.

[b]Therapy In Your Face[/b]

For a skittish vocalist, my recommendation is to confront the issue head-on, which is mainly one of self-consciousness and self-confidence.

Veterans of drama class are familiar with various exercises for getting rid of stage jitters. Most of them involve doing things that are outrageous and generally not socially acceptable.

Your vocalist needs to learn that he is a person that sings, not a person [i]because[/i] he sings, and there's a huge difference.

Be sensitive to the problem, but be honest about it. He needs to take himself less seriously, learn how to separate his ego from his art and practice being able to look people in the eye while singing [i]terribly[/i] without flinching.

Once he can do that, he's ready to perform [i]brilliantly[/i].

Confronting the problem at its roots and using drama class style exercises (like getting up in each other's faces and screaming maniacally before performing) to loosen up is the best way to solve a problem like this.

My $0.02, anyway.

Merkaba 08-04-2005 05:50 AM

Well yea. But I dont get it...If youre a singer...then youre a singer. If you want to be a singer, or a performer. then youre not a singer. Youre just still wanting to be. So if you say youre a singer in a band...then that means you can sing and perform. Being in a band means you have to play in front of people. So I dont get it. Its like someone saying they want to be a singer because it looks cool. If you cant sing well enough to have the confidence to get up in front of people then you dont need to be in a band until you do. You cant make someone know they can sing...he has to find that out himself so that he knows it. If you know you can sing, but you just get stage fright, then you dont need to be in a band.

Rocket_Science 08-04-2005 10:40 AM

Isn't there some kind of software out there that can show you your voice while you practice singing so you can check your pitch and fix it on the spot?

csyn 08-04-2005 09:33 PM

Okay I'd like to try and sing like the lead singer from Bowling For Soup. I want to sing their son "Ridiculous"

Heres a link to the video because I can't find one for the song only.
[url]http://bowlingforsoup.com/videos.html[/url]

The one title "That Mystery Enhancement"

Tannayr 08-05-2005 04:16 AM

Software to check pitch.

I have seen a request for software to check pitch. I have found Anvil Studio ([url]http://www.anvilstudio.com/[/url]). The initial program is free, but there are extra tools you can buy for it. One of the tools is called Music Drills, within that tool is a voice training tool. Whether this works or not I have no idea, I haven't spent the 20 bucks on it.

Supposidly you sing the note into the microphone and it judges if you are singing too flat or too sharp or perfect. I have been tempted alot to try it and think I might one day soon just to find out.

Al Strzelecki 08-06-2005 11:09 AM

i've just started to learn how to sing, I'm trying to do lead vocals for a band. like 3 days now. my voice sounds somewhat sleepy. can i fix this? also, even when i hit a right note wchich does happen every once in a while, i sorta sound nerdy. is there any way to change this? i know i've only been learning for three days, but i'm just wondering.

Merkaba 08-06-2005 05:54 PM

sleepy and nerdy....not good words to define the voice if youre looking for help you gotta be specific. Or post a sample.

If by nerdy you mean nasal, then theres a thread open about that right now with some advice in it.

Al Strzelecki 08-06-2005 10:00 PM

not like nasal........i dunno how to explain......like....breathy sort of voice, it sounds like I'm just talking louder when i try to sing.

Rocket_Science 08-08-2005 04:58 PM

have you tried changing the way you breathe? You can change the entire sound of your singing voice by blowing more air through your larynx when you sing. Also it is important to visualise the tones you want to sing and push the air right from your gut. It sounds to me from your description that it might be a problem with your breath support.

hope it helps

Shy_times 08-08-2005 11:33 PM

i find bert mc crackens style works just smoke lol i do and it makes my voice raspy bad and i can go along with any screamer but it all sounds the same im working on adding pitch to my screaming by the way anyone know any bands in san antonio texas looking for a singer/screamer cause im looking for a band and cant find **** i would really like to be in one and i know i could sing my heart out no matter what i guess if anyone knows anything or even where i would post an ad like that on here let me know thanks and yeah

Well you never find it, if your looking for it!
Rather waste some time with you!
Shai

deat 08-09-2005 01:21 AM

I'd like to scream/growl like the singer of between The Buried And Me, but whenever I try screaming, my throat hurts, and I can only go for about 10 seconds before running out of breathe. :/

Suggestions?

Merkaba 08-09-2005 05:47 AM

[QUOTE=Shy_times]i find bert mc crackens style works just smoke lol i do and it makes my voice raspy bad and i can go along with any screamer but it all sounds the same im working on adding pitch to my screaming by the way anyone know any bands in san antonio texas looking for a singer/screamer cause im looking for a band and cant find **** i would really like to be in one and i know i could sing my heart out no matter what i guess if anyone knows anything or even where i would post an ad like that on here let me know thanks and yeah

Well you never find it, if your looking for it!
Rather waste some time with you!
Shai[/QUOTE]
Please noone take this advice.

Merkaba 08-09-2005 05:49 AM

[QUOTE=deat]I'd like to scream/growl like the singer of between The Buried And Me, but whenever I try screaming, my throat hurts, and I can only go for about 10 seconds before running out of breathe. :/

Suggestions?[/QUOTE] Yea stop. Because youre doing it wrong.

Go to the First page of this thread and read if youre serious. [url]http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219911[/url]

[QUOTE=Al Strzelecki]not like nasal........i dunno how to explain......like....breathy sort of voice, it sounds like I'm just talking louder when i try to sing.[/QUOTE]
You may be trying to sing in the wrong voice...like trying to stretch your chest voice up to head range. Chances are youre tensing the throat as well. Relax and try to mimic some opera type vocals. Figaro.....etc.

deat 08-09-2005 01:36 PM

Alright, thanks.

Shy_times 08-09-2005 08:42 PM

yeah dont take my advice im just as novice or unprepared as anyone else asking for help on here it was merely a joke i agree with the what a wonderful world thing work on making your voice that way and a normal talk or normal tone then gradually build it up till you can get the response you want i dont agree with smoking to do it but it really does make my voice raspy but then again i chain smoke so yeah there you go but yeah id go with the louis armstrong thing eventually you will find your voice and in all reality whos to tell anyone they are doing it wrong but yourselves you can find your own voice your own sound withing the results your getting and roll with that eventually you will get better and reach the outcome you would like till then i dont know have fun and still can someone answer my question is there another thread on here i can post i guess like an ad to see if any bands want a singer?

Shy_times 08-09-2005 08:49 PM

[QUOTE=fenderplayer1100]Hey, I just started singing a month ago...I don't have a vocal coach or anything, but the singer that i'm TRYING to mimic is Freddie Mercury....Well first off when I wake up and try to sing along with Queen songs I can't hit certain notes because of flem blockage in my through. How do i get rid of the flem....and could u tell me some warm-ups that u guys use to prepare for singing. And did Freddy Mercury use his head voice in the song "Killer Queen". Oh and another thing...Sometimes when i try to hit some really high notes I end up sounding like Kurmet the Frog...Does anyone know how to stop that from happening? Thanks[/QUOTE]

warm tea works good nothing thick like milk it will just make the flem worse i have asthma so i get alot of that stuff but warm tea or something thin like warm water or something will get through it or you could just loogy it :thumb:

blackbird2 08-10-2005 12:07 AM

Hey if any one could give me some tips i would be very thankful.

I want to be able to sing in a soft manor similiar to elliott smith. He sings usually fairly soft and sometimes hits beatiful high notes. My problem is that i can contstantly never get high enough for want i want to achieve. It sounds to bland. If anyone could give me tips on making my voice higher while still sounding good that would be awesome.

Merkaba 08-10-2005 05:55 AM

To sing higher than normal you have to have good technique...and work your cords til you can get enough strength to reach. There is no magic trick to improving range really. I give some things to work on in my voicehelp hotline.