Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bass Guitar (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   EMG passive VS DiMarzio (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427222)

backsidetailslide 12-27-2005 05:48 PM

EMG passive VS DiMarzio

alright i need an answer here. i want to know if EMG passive pickups (EMG P HZ)are worth buying. if not would DiMarzio will powers be any better? :smash:
thanks in advance!
:chug:

The Brad 12-27-2005 06:14 PM

I have EMG Hz soapbars in one of my basses currently, they are alright. I am not too much for or against them but I plan on replacing them eventually. If you are trying to mimic Jerry Only's rig I would go for the EMGs since someone showed that he uses those... but it's up to you really.
I'd just go by price and what seems would be better. Read reviews and listen to sound clips, etc.

backsidetailslide 12-27-2005 06:53 PM

any good review sites? where will i find sound clips of emgs?

The Brad 12-27-2005 06:57 PM

harmonycentral.com, bgra.net, talkbass.com, someone suggested the Seymour Duncan forums too. Um, I don't know where you would hear sound clips...I'll do some searching for you see what comes up.

backsidetailslide 12-27-2005 07:14 PM

thanks a lot, you are the man!

The Brad 12-27-2005 07:34 PM

Can't find any clips, but the reviews seem like the EMG is a pretty decent pickup. I dunno the way I wanna view this is EMGs are known for their active pickups so why bother with their passives and I just put a set of DiMarzio's in my guitar and love them, so I am really conflicted.

edgebass5 12-27-2005 07:38 PM

honestly, I think the HZ series EMG's are complete garbage. The only thing they're good for IMO is massive amounts of treble and upper-mids. To me they create unuseable D and G strings.

The Brad 12-27-2005 07:40 PM

I think mine sound rather balanced? I dunno though, I like the low-end I tune BEAD on the bass with them.

Low_End_Communications 12-27-2005 07:51 PM

I'm with Edge. The Hz and Select series EMG's are total crap. They have no roundness to them at all, just a brittle, sharp high end. If you're going to go EMG, go with their DC series.

That said, Dimarzio's are far superior, but what kind of tone are you going for?

Nickle Pickle 12-27-2005 07:52 PM

He's going for the tone of someone who uses EMG pickups. I don't see where the dilemna is backside.

The Brad 12-27-2005 07:52 PM

While we're discussing EMGs would you discourage the TW series? It's basically the DC and CS in one pickup with the push/pull knob to switch between the two.

Potatoe 12-27-2005 07:56 PM

backsidetailslide, how about you create an "Offical Help backsidetailslide build his bass" thread?

having one thread that tells everyone that you're building a jerry only replica bass should help prevent confusion, and tell people what tone you are going for...

backsidetailslide 12-27-2005 07:57 PM

well you see i didnt want anything active by emg but because they are gong on my devastator bass it would suit it (jerry only used emgs on his original) but i guess because im doing my own thing with his design ill just go with dimarzios. what do you think? will power p's or just the regular ps

Low_End_Communications 12-27-2005 08:03 PM

It depends. Look on their site at their 'tone chart' for both pickups. Of course, depending on your body and neck and fingerboard woods, you won't get exactly the tone the charts tell you. You may consider adding a pickup in the pridge position for tonal variation.

You don't want to go through all this trouble to sound EXACTLY like someone else, cuz you lose your personality that way, and also A LOT of gigs, cuz you'll have this big pointy (although cool) looking bass, thats gets a big scary tone.

Radiobass81 12-27-2005 08:27 PM

I'd go HZ.

I'm the minority, though.

morpcat 12-27-2005 09:50 PM

You may as well title the thread: "Dull vs. Sparkle".

The EMG HZ pickups lack any good characteristics. I would go so far as to say that they are so dull and bland they are undeserving of any name except "the mediocre one", but that's not true. They have one particular characteristic, which is that if you switch up the treble you get a bright but brittle and very scratchy top end. The lows sound dull and faded, the mids can growl a little if you get it right.

Maybe I'm being harsh, but after playing them for a couple of years, they are just such boring pickups. BORING.

The DiMarzio's on the other hand... Talk about midrange.

edgebass5 12-27-2005 10:19 PM

^^^I agree with everything you just said morp. My dilemma with them is that they seemed to create unuseable D and G strings, they were just too nasal and bright.

backsidetailslide 12-27-2005 10:44 PM

any other suggestions? any other brands or models?

edgebass5 12-28-2005 12:06 AM

^^^Well, you've never really said which pickup shape you're going to use (not 100% anyway)... so that would really help. My pickup preference (in general, not shape specific in any way) is the DiMarzio Model J. I've tried tons of pickups, and to me it doesn't get any better, especially in a band setting.

bottlerocket 12-28-2005 12:19 AM

^ I prefer the Ultra J's because I find I can do more with the UJ's. I like their hotter output; it gives me a bit more punch to work with. I like 'em more, but that's preference.

By the way, EMG Hz's aren't as bad as you're making them out to be. If you know how to use the onboard pre-amp and your amp's preamp, they can be fine. Mine are alright.

:thumb:

-Gav

The Brad 12-28-2005 12:40 AM

I am making some recordings of my Hz with flat EQ.
What do you want? Right now I just have each string ringing out and then I was going to record the two octaves of each note

[B]Edit:[/B] This recording, aside from being bad, features the bass playing each string: open, 12th and 24th.
[url]http://s6.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2FY3N1QZEES1X2JYD938NQBGEE[/url]

kilian 12-28-2005 04:34 AM

I would love to have a Dimarzio Model J in the bridge of any bass I get. That pickup really rocks out there. For the neck? A P-pickup or a Dimarzio UJ. I'm not [I]too[/I] fond of my Model J in the neck position. It lacks clarity/warmth for playing solo, in a bandsituation; these pickups still really rock.

Dimarzio Model J in the bridge (with series/parallel switch) and a EMG P might be an interesting combination if you're after a growling, still sharp tone. Why? You can perfectly use the Model J as a stand alone pickup, boost the lows with the series/parallel switch and dial in some weird highend with the EMG's. IF that's your sound. It wouldn't be my sound.. I would put a dirty P pickup in the neck position and a Model J in the back, each having their own tone/volume.

Well.. that's me. For you? First; really describe WHAT kind of tone you want.

tim_commerfordism 12-28-2005 04:48 AM

[QUOTE=edgebass5]honestly, I think the HZ series EMG's are complete garbage. The only thing they're good for IMO is massive amounts of treble and upper-mids. To me they create unuseable D and G strings.[/QUOTE]

Just about to say that...:amaze:

blizzard 12-28-2005 06:38 AM

[QUOTE=edgebass5]honestly, I think the HZ series EMG's are complete garbage. The only thing they're good for IMO is massive amounts of treble and upper-mids. To me they create unuseable D and G strings.[/QUOTE]

I hate the sound of the HZ series EMG's, they sounded like mud on the bass i played them with. They might sound better with an EQ because the bass i tried was all passive.

Low_End_Communications 12-28-2005 09:39 AM

Other models? Personally, I'd take an MM-style Nordstrand pickup in the sweetspot and call it a day.

But, my other choices of pickup are Nordstrand and Seymour Duncan.

backsidetailslide 12-28-2005 10:20 AM

ok so i think ill order the dimarzio willl powers. one set of precisions.
would that be a good idea or would it be better to have a combo?

Radiobass81 12-28-2005 10:39 AM

[QUOTE=I0Play0Bass]^ I prefer the Ultra J's because I find I can do more with the UJ's. I like their hotter output; it gives me a bit more punch to work with. I like 'em more, but that's preference.

By the way, EMG Hz's aren't as bad as you're making them out to be. If you know how to use the onboard pre-amp and your amp's preamp, they can be fine. Mine are alright.

:thumb:

-Gav[/QUOTE]

The Models aren't that great, I find...

Radiobass81 12-28-2005 10:42 AM

[QUOTE=kilian]
Dimarzio Model J in the bridge (with series/parallel switch) and a EMG P might be an interesting combination if you're after a growling, still sharp tone. Why? You can perfectly use the Model J as a stand alone pickup, boost the lows with the series/parallel switch and dial in some weird highend with the EMG's. IF that's your sound. It wouldn't be my sound.. I would put a dirty P pickup in the neck position and a Model J in the back, each having their own tone/volume.[/QUOTE]

There will be one problem, though. EMG pickups have great output, while DiMarzio models have very little in contrast, so the EMG would always be overpowering the other...

Wait... P overpowering a J has never been a problem... :D

backsidetailslide 12-28-2005 12:11 PM

alright so ive been doing a lot of reasearch and a pickup guy from a guitar store in toronto recomended some lace transentor pickups
[IMG]http://www.aampselectricguitarstore.com/images/1-lace-pbass-transensors.jpg[/IMG]
he totally recomended them and pretty much raved about them (hes tried many pickups before) so i was wondering if anyone else has tried them out. are they a good choice? i might be picking them up today

edgebass5 12-28-2005 12:41 PM

[QUOTE=Radiobass81]There while DiMarzio models have very little in contrast[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry man, but that's a completely incorrect statement. Model J's list at 150mV, but get this; in my custom, due to the tone circuit I used (or suprising lack thereof) the last time I hooked up a meter to my bass it was running right at about 320mV, no joke. You can drive a power amp once you get in the ballpark of 400mV.