Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hip Hop (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Late 80's To Early 90's *THE BEST EVER* (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572875)

nevertoolate 04-02-2009 07:29 PM

Late 80's To Early 90's *THE BEST EVER*

This was the Golden Age of Hip Hop. Who are your fave groups and albums from this era??

kingsoby1 04-02-2009 07:48 PM

i'm really not well versed. we're running "album of the minute" to catch up on older stuff/ classics people haven't heard. feel free to contribute to our essential hiphop discussion, as we'll definitely be needing golden age input.

Correction 04-02-2009 07:49 PM

overrated

illmitch 04-02-2009 09:25 PM

i love it, but i think the "golden age" appellation is just dumb. there were bad artists back then too (what, are Kris Kross hip hop classics?).

with that said, my favorite stuff from the era:
EPMD, Eric B and Rakim, Kool G Rap and DJ Polo, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul

NOOTH 04-02-2009 09:26 PM

the only good rapers were from 1991

StalkingButler 04-02-2009 09:33 PM

I love it all. All them classics, that's where I thrive. And I understand the people who call it overrated, but the influence was immense. Someone had to be the first and I try to wrap my head around being this age in 87 when Rakim spit "Paid in Full" or when NWA brought Gangsta Rap to the foreground. My head would of exploded with excitement.

Between the competition, the brotherhood, and/or what the artists had to overcome back then.. when you think about it.. there's a reason why it was the golden age.

Today, many of our hip hop stars have lost their hunger. Other than Dilla and the rich tradition, there's probably a much more sensible reason why Detroit is making some of the best artistic hip hop right now, just look at the turmoil hitting that city. Going from one of the big three cities to an unemployed state of emergency (you got it right Invincible). Those underground artists have something to say. Someone like Lil Wayne.. I couldn't say the same.

"I remember when a rapper was a go getta.. now all these rappers is some hoe niggaz" - Pimp C

illmitch 04-02-2009 09:44 PM

It's not like everything those rappers had to say was profound. Almost everything EPMD talked about was partying, girls, and money. Rakim mostly rapped about how good he was, and occasionally about money. Any of these topics sound familiar?

illmitch 04-02-2009 09:53 PM

Oh without a doubt. I'm not insulting them, but rather pointing out that they weren't necessarily all that different from modern rap. This might be blasphemy, but I don't think Lil' Wayne, for example, has that much a difference in lyrical content from Rakim.

StalkingButler 04-02-2009 09:56 PM

Success/money back then went to mostly good artists and few hacks (obviously there were many still). Nowadays it's pretty much the opposite. That's probably the biggest difference I guess. And that's a pretty good basis to call the prior the 'golden age'. It was the age where the mainstream, successful hip hop artists were also critically the best.

CaptainWaits 04-02-2009 09:57 PM

I only know of Eric B. & Rakim because of RATM's cover of Microphone Fiend. That songs pretty tight anyways...

niobium 04-02-2009 10:46 PM

this is probably my favorite era but i don't care about de la soul i like black sheep more

ATM 04-02-2009 10:52 PM

Justice System - Rooftop Soundcheck
Da Youngstas - No Mercy
Smif-n-Wessun - Dah Shinin'
Ghetto Philharmonic - Hip-Hop Be-Bop

StalkingButler 04-02-2009 10:53 PM

[QUOTE=Britney Diva;17159531]Success/money today goes to mostly good artists and few hacks.[/QUOTE]

In hip hop? well.. maybe not hacks.. but good artists? There's maybe a few good hip hop artists making big money that are coming out with top 10-20 albums of the year.. **** even Atmosphere is on the new CL album mentioning how he doesn't think he's made it big today.

I rated well over 50 albums last year in hip hop and the only semi big names in the top 20 were The Roots and Atmosphere (and Black Milk & Madlib as a stretch). In my bottom 10 were artists like Lil Wayne, T.I., The Game, & Common. Of course that's just my opinion on what was good and what wasn't, but still.

Rams 04-03-2009 12:05 AM

[QUOTE=StalkingButler;17159441]
Today, many of our hip hop stars have lost their hunger. Other than Dilla and the rich tradition, there's probably a much more sensible reason why Detroit is making some of the best artistic hip hop right now, just look at the turmoil hitting that city. Going from one of the big three cities to an unemployed state of emergency (you got it right Invincible). Those underground artists have something to say. Someone like Lil Wayne.. I couldn't say the same.

"I remember when a rapper was a go getta.. now all these rappers is some hoe niggaz" - Pimp C[/QUOTE]

Wayne does like 15 mixtapes and 2 albums every year. I can't stand him, but at least he tries.

"It will be bitten, rewritten, then performed for a $25 admission
Reviewed in The Source
You will listen then find somethin missin of course... it's skills"

"Yo this is curtains for these rappers that be frontin on the next man
Lookin down at brothers just because they gettin checks and
Havent got a skill but theyre large on the hum-bum"

nevertoolate 04-03-2009 02:51 AM

Sorry bout the "Goldan Age" thing I was feeling nostalgic but c'mon fellas theres heaps of awesome stuff.
Organized Konfusion anyone? 3rd Bass? Public Enemy? BDP? Now I'm not talking mainstream Hip Hop that was tedius...

nevertoolate 04-03-2009 02:53 AM

[QUOTE=niobium;17159689]this is probably my favorite era but i don't care about de la soul i like [B]black sheep[/B] more[/QUOTE]

Try Counting Sheep is an awesome track

nevertoolate 04-03-2009 02:55 AM

[QUOTE=illmitch;17159425]i love it, but i think the "golden age" appellation is just dumb. there were bad artists back then too (what, are Kris Kross hip hop classics?).

Yeah I meant NOT mainstream Hip Hop, I meant the real stuff.

with that said, my favorite stuff from the era:
EPMD, Eric B and Rakim, Kool G Rap and DJ Polo, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul[/QUOTE]

Above groups are what I'm talking about..

SugarCoatedSour 04-03-2009 05:35 AM

PRT, Jungle Brothers, Freestyle Fellowship, Leaders of the New School, Afrikaa Bambaata (or however you spell it), the Tang, and all its affiliates.

Iai 04-03-2009 05:50 AM

Tell me what you're gonna do
When they reminisce over you, my god

niobium 04-03-2009 06:07 AM

ditc
gang starr foundation
the whole 9