Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Archives (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Muse and Radiohead - The same? (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258880)

vallely2004 10-31-2004 11:24 AM

Muse and Radiohead - The same?

This is inspired by a comment in the Flaming Lips thread about Radiohead and Muse sounding the same and that Muse are a poor man's Radiohead.
This is my argument:
I have all albums from both bands and the fact is Muse, for a majority of the time, are based on energy and catchy riffs, yes they have become a bit more alt. and moved away from their rock roots with 'Absolution' but underneath they are still the same, whilst Radiohead alot of the time are based on melodies and lyrics in my eyes. They have a karma about them that Muse don't, also Radiohead, again in my eyes, are alot more experimental and 'alt.' than Muse, I mean look at the other stuff they have done outside the band, Greendwood for example wrote a whole soundtrack for a movie and the whole band messed around with samples and such for a ballet to dance to.

anyways I have other points but Im too tired...

Master Arkam Kannon 10-31-2004 11:47 AM

and this has been another useless moment, brought to you by vallely2004 and bad scotch, thank you for listening, please, dont forget to brush your teeth and dont smack your face on the way out.

Luxor 10-31-2004 11:59 AM

:mad:

neal_672 10-31-2004 01:19 PM

I really have to disagree, because Radiohead are boring and Muse are not...

*awaits flaming* :wave:

RIPJoeStrummer 10-31-2004 01:30 PM

The only similarity is their voices.

Oli_m 10-31-2004 04:01 PM

[QUOTE=neal_672]I really have to disagree, because Radiohead are boring and Muse are not...

*awaits flaming* :wave:[/QUOTE]

/flames

I kinda didnt understand this thread. Muse and Radiohead are different, its a fact.

illuminati 10-31-2004 04:21 PM

Muse have only been influenced by Radiohead in the music they play.

i don't see many similarities, only a few songs here and there. you could say that about most bands tho.

Zappa 10-31-2004 04:22 PM

Muse have always sucked, and Radiohead put out two great albums before starting to suck. There's your difference.

NothingGetsCrossedOut 10-31-2004 04:32 PM

I love radiohead

and have not listened to much Muse

br3ad_man 10-31-2004 04:49 PM

[QUOTE=RIPJoeStrummer]The only similarity is their voices.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. :thumb:

Another difference is that Muse have made 3 great records, while Radiohead have made 3 genius records, 2 great ones and one pretty average one.

neal_672 10-31-2004 04:52 PM

Am i the only person in Alt/Indie who really isn't bothered about Radiohead? :confused:

br3ad_man 10-31-2004 05:01 PM

Zappa is very worried about them.

Ornery Cephalopod 10-31-2004 05:37 PM

No no no, you're all wrong.

The facts of the matter are thus: Muse put out one great album and 2 mediocre albums, and Radiohead put out one great album, 2 pretty darn good albums, and 3 albums that I won't even give the time of day to.

Don't deny it, it's scientifically proven.

joe_bass 10-31-2004 05:43 PM

[QUOTE=Ornery Cephalopod]No no no, you're all wrong.[/QUOTE]

Don't state your opinion as if it were a fact.

Radiohead and Muse are two different bands period.

Senseless Apprentice 10-31-2004 05:43 PM

I see Muse as kindof a "poppy" version of Radiohead. Muse is really easy to get into, while Radiohead is not as easy to get into. However, in the End, Muse will get boring, but Radiohead will continue to BURN strongly in our hearts.

Another example of this comparison is : Nirvana to Smashing Pumpkins

Anyway...yeah...vocal style is one similarity indeed. Muse is way more rockin and energetic than Radiohead. Too many people don't listen beyond vocals these days.

Ornery Cephalopod 10-31-2004 05:55 PM

[QUOTE=joe_bass]Don't state your opinion as if it were a fact.

Radiohead and Muse are two different bands period.[/QUOTE]

Don't treat my nonserious post as if I were stating a fact. (See also: "How to Calibrate Your Sarcastometer", "Help! How to Set a Broken Funny Bone When Backpacking Through the Wilderness", or the controversial paper of that crackpot Dr. K. Kazman, "A Man Without Humour is a Man Without a Soul and Should be Burned at the Stake After Several Kicks to the Shin Have Been Administered".)

Janitor 10-31-2004 06:48 PM

[QUOTE=Senseless Apprentice]Another example of this comparison is : Nirvana to Smashing Pumpkins
[/QUOTE]

I've never noticed a single similarity between these two bands.

Ornery Cephalopod 10-31-2004 06:51 PM

[QUOTE=Medopalis]Is this a second account, or are you my favourite new person on these forums? And Muse and Radiohead are only similar in that Bellamy's and Yorke's voices can be very similar...the music itself is very different, with Muse being heavier and more riff-oriented at every stage than Radiohead.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I used to be KazooVirtuoso. I got tired of the name. Technically this is my 3rd account (Paradigm -> KazooVirtuoso -> Ornery Cephy), but the first one was from back in the day when I didn't post much.

no surprises 10-31-2004 07:52 PM

They're both British. And they're both very good bands. Different from each other, yes, but both very good.

I'll admit the first time I heard [I]Absolution[/I] I thought the vocals were similar. After that I realized they are very different.

Iai 10-31-2004 07:58 PM

[QUOTE=Zappa]Muse have always sucked, and Radiohead put out two great albums before starting to suck. There's your difference.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Iai 10-31-2004 08:00 PM

Remember that all these comparisons happened because Muse broke onto the scene at a time when Radiohead were simply the biggest thing around, and EVERYONE got compared to them. Travis got it, Coldplay got it, Mansun got it, and Muse got it.

Reaganista 10-31-2004 08:30 PM

I can't stand either of them, so that's a similarity.

Tangy zizzle 10-31-2004 09:39 PM

Basless, useless thread.

Tomahawk 10-31-2004 09:46 PM

Yes. They are exactly the same.

Tapeworm 11-01-2004 07:36 AM

I thought they were the same band.

Clunge 11-01-2004 10:15 AM

They are both very good but I prefer Muse - I can't see much similar between them except they are both bands that are a kinda 'aquired taste'

guitarbaz 11-01-2004 10:30 AM

[QUOTE=Senseless Apprentice]I see Muse as kindof a "poppy" version of Radiohead. Muse is really easy to get into, while Radiohead is not as easy to get into. However, in the End, Muse will get boring, but Radiohead will continue to BURN strongly in our hearts.

Another example of this comparison is : Nirvana to Smashing Pumpkins

Anyway...yeah...vocal style is one similarity indeed. Muse is way more rockin and energetic than Radiohead. Too many people don't listen beyond vocals these days.[/QUOTE]

i've always thought of muse as radiohead with nitrous oxide.
but yeah, i got bored with muse after 1 album, the initial effect kind of wore off on me and i was no longer impressed.

radiohead have a much more promising future than muse, they just need to stop being so f.ucking miserable.. :lol:
i really need to see them live tho, apparently that's when it all comes together and makes sense so i'm told by my fellow band members.

Sep 11-01-2004 12:12 PM

The influence is obviously there, but I don't think they are the same, at all. I find Muse a lot more enjoyable personally.

Master Arkam Kannon 11-01-2004 01:21 PM

i like both, ive seen both, i am uncool. :(

The Ashtray Girl 11-01-2004 04:55 PM

Love both, but never even understand the comparisons. :confused: it's bizarre to me.