Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bass Guitar (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Casual - Once more with feeling (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571968)

gaslight 07-24-2009 09:55 AM

Oh mad, sounds like you have that rarest of beasts, the enjoyable fun wedding gig. Wicked man.

I really want an excuse to wear my suit though. My superstitious side insists that it's because I haven't bought a tie and a hat to complete it.

Epidemechanical 07-24-2009 09:59 AM

lol marriage what is your friend a masochist or something

gaslight 07-24-2009 10:02 AM

Yeah man I pity the first of my friend's to get married. Ah well, you never know, could be the one in a million right call.

Epidemechanical 07-24-2009 10:34 AM

inviting the government into your personal life is never the "right call."

and there is no evidence in human history to support the claim that we are by nature monogamous

we arent.

Epidemechanical 07-24-2009 10:36 AM

btw this girl ive been hanging out with is nervous about sex cause she says i have no feelings or emotions and it scares her

LoL!!!!!

BenJammin 07-24-2009 10:39 AM

Aw, but you're just a big cuddly teddy bear.

Epidemechanical 07-24-2009 10:39 AM

well yeah i am when we're being physical but in terms of long lasting feelings, love, whatever

lol yeah might wanna keep looking honey

Mr. Pickle 07-24-2009 10:54 AM

I have a wig

Epidemechanical 07-24-2009 11:00 AM

pickle i wanna be friends with you IRL

Mr. Pickle 07-24-2009 11:05 AM

where you live dawg?

Epidemechanical 07-24-2009 11:06 AM

chiggy town where do you live

FunkMetalBass 07-24-2009 11:12 AM

I've decided that I really like the Peanut body shape of a WishBass. I think I'll try my hand at building a bass (again) here in the next 3 weeks, and I want that body shape with a different headstock shape.

4-strings fretless
Aftermarket bridge
Walnut body
Maple neck
Purpleheart fretboard (if the piece I have is long enough)
MM-style pickup
Aftermarket preamp

Knowing what I know now about the process involved in making an instrument, I have much higher hopes for this build than my 7-string flop.

FunkMetalBass 07-24-2009 11:14 AM

[quote=Raayl;17387287]inviting the government into your personal life is never the "right call."

and there is no evidence in human history to support the claim that we are by nature monogamous

we arent.[/quote]

The only animal that is completely monogamous is (if memory serves) a tapeworm found in dogs. The reason it is monogamous is because after intercourse, both halves become joined and inseparable.

Fun factoid.

Epidemechanical 07-24-2009 11:22 AM

some say certain birds exhibit monogamy as well

BenJammin 07-24-2009 11:26 AM

[QUOTE=FunkMetalBass;17387369]I've decided that I really like the Peanut body shape of a WishBass. I think I'll try my hand at building a bass (again) here in the next 3 weeks, and I want that body shape with a different headstock shape.

4-strings fretless
Aftermarket bridge
Walnut body
Maple neck
Purpleheart fretboard (if the piece I have is long enough)
MM-style pickup
Aftermarket preamp

Knowing what I know now about the process involved in making an instrument, I have much higher hopes for this build than my 7-string flop.[/QUOTE]

Do you have most of these materials already? If not, just buy a Peanut bass from Wish and finish it off yourself. He builds them cheaper than you can probably.

FunkMetalBass 07-24-2009 11:27 AM

[quote=Raayl;17387386]some say certain birds exhibit monogamy as well[/quote]

I'm sure there are monogamous animals out there that, even though the potential exists for other mating, remain with only one partner. We just don't know yet for certain.

I'm just going on the only 100% provably monogamous creature.

Philosophy of Sexuality was a phenomenal class. My local community college offered it, and I think everybody should take it. It's absolutely fascinating.

Mr. Pickle 07-24-2009 11:32 AM

[quote=Raayl;17387360]chiggy town where do you live[/quote]

MN. **** a butt.

I'll be going to Chiggy Town sometime this year to see the Pixies.

gaslight 07-24-2009 11:37 AM

What does aftermarket mean?

FunkMetalBass 07-24-2009 11:37 AM

[quote=BenJammin;17387393]Do you have most of these materials already? If not, just buy a Peanut bass from Wish and finish it off yourself. He builds them cheaper than you can probably.[/quote]

I have a truss rod, a cheapy bridge, tuners from my squier, and a piece of purpleheart. The walnut and maple will, at most, run me $100. I don't have the pickup, but Wish would charge for the pickup as well, so I break even in that regard.

At it's basic form with supplying my own bridge and pickup, the bass will cost $450 on top of the cost of the bridge and pup, which could bring me to ~$550.

I am hoping to build this for $200 including the cost of the pickup and wood as I have everything else.

Besides, I'm modifying his design a bit based on the pickup choice and my preference for the angle at which bass hangs when standing. I'd also think the body style would be better complimented by a different headstock design.

Most importantly - I just want to build a bass.

FunkMetalBass 07-24-2009 11:58 AM

[quote=gaslight;17387411]What does aftermarket mean?[/quote]

Cheap, no-name knock-offs.

BenJammin 07-24-2009 12:07 PM

[QUOTE=FunkMetalBass;17387454]Cheap, no-name knock-offs.[/QUOTE]

Uh, no it doesn't.

Aftermarket means anything that you can buy to outfit something with. If you get an old car with a cassette player and you want to put a CD player in it, that's an aftermarket part. If you have a new Jazz bass and you want to put a BAII bridge on it, the BAII is aftermarket. There are definitely cheap aftermarket parts, but aftermarket =/= cheap.

Aftermarket is literally that: after the market. The market being the main venue from which you make your original purchase, the after market being all of the components, accessories, etc. which can be purchased AFTER in order to customize/repair/whatever the original acquisition.

Epidemechanical 07-24-2009 12:29 PM

[QUOTE=Mr. Pickle;17387403]MN. **** a butt.

I'll be going to Chiggy Town sometime this year to see the Pixies.[/QUOTE]

dude im in MN all the time

like 50% of my high school population went to college either in madison or the twin cities

where you at there?

im from wisconsin btw im up here right now

FunkMetalBass 07-24-2009 01:11 PM

[quote=BenJammin;17387466]Uh, no it doesn't.

Aftermarket means anything that you can buy to outfit something with. If you get an old car with a cassette player and you want to put a CD player in it, that's an aftermarket part. If you have a new Jazz bass and you want to put a BAII bridge on it, the BAII is aftermarket. There are definitely cheap aftermarket parts, but aftermarket =/= cheap.

Aftermarket is literally that: after the market. The market being the main venue from which you make your original purchase, the after market being all of the components, accessories, etc. which can be purchased AFTER in order to customize/repair/whatever the original acquisition.[/quote]

You're absolutely right.

I was just thinking in the narrow terms of what parts I'm going to put on it.

I don't really want a fretless, but I don't trust my fretting skills enough to try a fretted bass. Maybe I'll see a need for this fretless more than I will my other.

Mr. Pickle 07-24-2009 05:12 PM

[quote=Raayl;17387494]dude im in MN all the time

like 50% of my high school population went to college either in madison or the twin cities

where you at there?

im from wisconsin btw im up here right now[/quote]

I used to go to WI on a regular basis on the weekends. I'm probably a 45 minute drive (west) away from the University of MN. I live by Chaska and Chanhassen, which were apparently voted two of the best places to live in the U.S. at some point, or another.

Epidemechanical 07-24-2009 05:27 PM

sweet man we should definitely hang out sometime

maybe blaze you feel me homie hellz yea

Mr. Pickle 07-24-2009 05:32 PM

ya dooooo.; out of an apple or something. then eat the apple. cause apples r good 4 u.

Epidemechanical 07-24-2009 05:55 PM

LoL!!!!!

gaslight 07-26-2009 09:35 AM

Hey guys, time for a brainstorm to help me out okay?

In a few weeks I'll be uploading some songs for download, and they're going to be in either a .zip or a .rar

It seems to me like most people archive in .rar for download these days, I don't know much about it, so I'd like to know which would be a better option. The key point for me is for the archive to be openable by the largest possible number of people so it isn't inconvenient.

BenJammin 07-26-2009 09:41 AM

I'd zip it, as it's the most widely usable of the two. Most people can open rars, but not necessarily anyone. You want to be accessible to the greatest number of people.

Moon Flavor 07-26-2009 09:43 AM

[QUOTE=gaslight;17391364]Hey guys, time for a brainstorm to help me out okay?

In a few weeks I'll be uploading some songs for download, and they're going to be in either a .zip or a .rar

It seems to me like most people archive in .rar for download these days, I don't know much about it, so I'd like to know which would be a better option. The key point for me is for the archive to be openable by the largest possible number of people so it isn't inconvenient.[/QUOTE]

With your key point in mind, zip file is better since most people at least have winzip on their computer, even if they don't know what it does. If you use a rar file you'll have to explain where to go download it and how it even works and by that point most people who don't already know how to use it lose interest.