Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Jam Session (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Has anyone gained a raspy voice without smoking? (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418522)

faisal 11-28-2005 05:10 AM

Has anyone gained a raspy voice without smoking?

And I mean people who didn't have raspy voices but worked to get it.
If so...how did you do it and how long did it take?

JessJansen 11-28-2005 08:57 AM

For me it didnt take long at all. The only thing you have to do is hold the note you are singing and just pull your throat down slightly. There should be a thread on this in Merkaba's voice help hotline.

faisal 11-28-2005 09:01 AM

[QUOTE=JessJansen]For me it didnt take long at all. The only thing you have to do is hold the note you are singing and just pull your throat down slightly. There should be a thread on this in Merkaba's voice help hotline.[/QUOTE]

Did u gain a permanent raspy voice?
What do you mean by 'pull your throat down' ?

Merkaba 11-28-2005 04:05 PM

You get a raspy voice by using the false vocal cords. If you lightly go ahh like youre clearing your throat you can feel this. Or if you make a monster sound, or a dog bark(think dmx or the guy from disturbed) or if you make the wrong answer annnk sound. Do this with little push and sound until you learn to manipulate it. "has anyone gotten a raspy voice without smoking?" WTF??

faisal 11-28-2005 04:48 PM

[QUOTE=Merkaba-1] "has anyone gotten a raspy voice without smoking?" WTF??[/QUOTE]
I said that becuz thats what I hear everywhere...
"Smoke a lot and scream your lungs out"...
Thats not something I wanna do...thanks for the tips:thumb:

ani_starkiller 11-28-2005 05:17 PM

why a raspy voice? why not a beautiful musical voice?

himynameistweek 11-28-2005 05:29 PM

because that's boring.

smoking is the last thing you want to do as a singer. and the rasp that you get from smoking is a nasty, unhealthy rasp that sounds like death.
take some time to learn technique. it's not too hard, it took me no time at all.

panthersfan16 11-28-2005 05:43 PM

strengthen your clean voice and play around with your throat and stuff. Find out what doesnt strain or cause pain in your throat and then work with it and after practice it comes together. If there is any kind of pain don't do it that way.

ani_starkiller 11-28-2005 05:48 PM

[QUOTE=himynameistweek]because that's boring.

[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

faisal 11-28-2005 07:03 PM

Thanks guys...
I have a couple of Q's:
First of all, Is practicing rasping my voice gonna have any effect on my range/potential range?

And can I gain a permanent raspy voice by practicing?

Classics_of_Love 11-28-2005 07:25 PM

You could always do like Tom Waits and spend an hour or so screaming as loud as you can into a pillow before you perform...Of course by now he probably couldn't sing normally if he wanted to, but hey.

Aus_rock_god 11-28-2005 08:41 PM

I've spent 6 years of my life smoking and I don't have a raspy voice.

himynameistweek 11-28-2005 10:26 PM

[QUOTE=ani_starkiller]:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
that was a joke.
you see, i responded to your worthless piece of **** ignorant comment with one of my own.

ani_starkiller 11-28-2005 10:53 PM

[QUOTE=himynameistweek]that was a joke.
you see, i responded to your worthless piece of **** ignorant comment with one of my own.[/QUOTE]

Ignorant...well, when it comes to music, not by a long shot.

If your post was at all serious, then your a moron

Aus_rock_god 11-28-2005 11:12 PM

[QUOTE=ani_starkiller]Ignorant...well, when it comes to music, not by a long shot.

If your post was at all serious, then your a moron[/QUOTE]

Your musical ignorance is starting to annoy me.

A raspy voice can be quite striking, and sound suprisingly good

[URL="http://artists.cpu.ie/bands/639/"]Example of a good raspy voice[/URL].

Open your mind to some new sounds motherfu*ker.:thumb:

ani_starkiller 11-28-2005 11:31 PM

musical ignorance...NO

his voice isn't bad at all, it's not what I think of when I think of raspy though. Also, I tend to like my music to be a little more melodic.

Open my mind...well, I do, and that is exactly why I'm into the kind of music I listen. I used to like allota rock back in the day, but I've when I picked up the guitar as a younling, I've since been turned on to to theory, so therefore jazz, classical, movie scores, jam bands, etc... Nowadays, most rock music just doesn't quite cut it for me. I like comlexity, art, dimension, and passion in music. The kinda stuff where an artist spends every second of their time composing, not just a few days or a week. Don't get me wrong, there are some "rock n roll" bands that are like this. I still like Zeppelin and about half of the Beatles stuff, both great groups of musicians.

Aus_rock_god 11-28-2005 11:50 PM

Okay, open minded = appreciating music for it's artform as well as it's complexity.

The music I listen to includes (man, this is going to take a LONG time to write): Rock, Alternative, Indie, Classical, Metal, Jazz, Jazz Fusion, Blues, Punk, Grindcore, Neo Metal, Heavy Metal, some Nu-Metal (again, underground stuff), Experimental, Progressive rock, Funk, Ska and Reggae.

I also dabble in World Music.

Music is not neccisarrily about complexity and difficulty (although, I do listen to Zappa, which is some of the most complex and difficult music ever composed), but about the art.

It really doesn't take much to sit for weeks on end making complex music, it's just a very long process. I argue that what is more difficult is for the artist to accurately download their own emotions and interpret it into sound.

Which is why my three favorite artists of all time are Pink Floyd, Mozart and Radiohead, because they are all capable of makeing you feel somthing (movie scores do too, but they're useless without the images).

Art, dimension and passion are all there in rock music, don't be so naive.

ani_starkiller 11-29-2005 12:35 AM

[QUOTE=Aus_rock_god]
It really doesn't take much to sit for weeks[/QUOTE] its takes lots of hardwork, devotion, and love

[QUOTE=Aus_rock_god]I argue that what is more difficult is for the artist to accurately download their own emotions and interpret it into sound.[/QUOTE]

of course. i couldnt agree more. that is what art is all about.

[QUOTE=Aus_rock_god]Which is why my three favorite artists of all time are Pink Floyd, Mozart and Radiohead[/QUOTE]

I love all three of em

[QUOTE=Aus_rock_god] because they are all capable of making you feel somthing[/QUOTE]

again, that is what art is all about. im actually really impressed that you understand that. i think differently of you now:thumb:

[QUOTE=Aus_rock_god](movie scores do too, but they're useless without the images).[/QUOTE]

i disagree with this... some composers have great sound tracks that express things very well without the actual movie. the most obvious example... John Williams

[QUOTE=Aus_rock_god]Art, dimension and passion are all there in rock music, don't be so naive.[/QUOTE]

i never said it wasnt. i just think allota rock music lacks it, especially new rock<--which allot of it lacks talent

Aus_rock_god 11-29-2005 12:43 AM

[QUOTE=ani_starkiller]

i disagree with this... some composers have great sound tracks that express things very well without the actual movie. the most obvious example... John Williams[/QUOTE]

Ah, John Williams, great guitarist too. Same as Danny Elfman (sp?). Both are 100% capable of creating scores that are works of art, but there are a lot of movie scores out there that sound very bland without the movie.

The soundtracks to ET and Lord of the Rings are easily my favorite scores.

[QUOTE=ani_starkiller]i never said it wasnt. i just think allota rock music lacks it, especially new rock<--which allot of it lacks talent[/QUOTE]

New rock isn't rock, it's pop music with guitars :thumb: .

ani_starkiller 11-29-2005 12:46 AM

[QUOTE=Aus_rock_god]New rock isn't rock, it's pop music with guitars :thumb: .[/QUOTE]

tis true

TheJarve 11-30-2005 05:53 AM

[QUOTE=Aus_rock_god]Ah, John Williams, great guitarist too. Same as Danny Elfman (sp?). Both are 100% capable of creating scores that are works of art, but there are a lot of movie scores out there that sound very bland without the movie.

The soundtracks to ET and Lord of the Rings are easily my favorite scores.

New rock isn't rock, it's pop music with guitars :thumb: .[/QUOTE]
thirded. and art is entirely subjective (which is one of the main reasons i think you shouldn't be marked on it)

look at this. its a visual artwork, but that's only different because you see it instead of listening to it:

[url]http://www.beatmuseum.org/pollock/images/bluepoles.jpg[/url]

that THING sold for $27m dollars. in my opinion it ain't exactly a mona lisa, but it says a lot to some people (and they're..... different :P)

but you can be melodic by screaming. example: i'm not the one- sum 41. if he isn't screaming, i'm not male (i am) but it suits the music

i'm not sure if i have made my point, but you get that

himynameistweek 11-30-2005 03:01 PM

the guy was asking how to improve himself on a style of singing, and you came in and said 'no, you should do it my way, because my way is better. your way is garbage and deserves no respect.'
close enough to ignorance.

Chris_lpp 12-01-2005 01:36 PM

[QUOTE=faisal]And I mean people who didn't have raspy voices but worked to get it.
If so...how did you do it and how long did it take?[/QUOTE]

Eat pussie . And eat lots of carrots.

And the odd beer

faisal 12-01-2005 04:14 PM

[QUOTE=Chris_lpp]Eat pussie . And eat lots of carrots.

And the odd beer[/QUOTE]

Thats how you did it?:lol:

Merkaba 12-02-2005 12:25 AM

[QUOTE=Chris_lpp]Eat pussie . And eat lots of carrots.

And the odd beer[/QUOTE]
Sounds like me....Dam...that might be it!

faisal 12-03-2005 03:38 PM

ok I have started getting better at rasping on a bit higher pitch thanks to all you guys...thanks for the tips:thumb:
However, I record my practice sessions and the rasping sounds really 'artificial' or 'unnatural'...(like as if im doing an eric cartman impression...something like that)
Are there any exercises which will help blend the rasp with my natural voice or will it come with practice?