Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hip Hop (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   New Rap Is Equally Good To Old Rap (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617462)

Cardboardbox 11-14-2012 04:40 PM

New Rap Is Equally Good To Old Rap

I feel that, contemporary rap music is just as good and consistent as old rap
I would argue that nostalgia is holding back on the appreciation of modern hip hop.
Also that Mainstream is equally good as underground but that's another battle

matious 11-14-2012 06:15 PM

mindblown

HeathSchneibolk 11-19-2012 01:59 AM

I agree and disagree. Mainstream rap is different than it use to be...and yes nostalgia is holding me back. I like some of the newer rappers out there. Lupe isn't new, but in respect to the history of hip-hop he is a relative newcomer. He is somewhat of a throwback, but at the same time has his own spin on things. I like what Hopsin is doing, but we will have to see what his new album brings to to the table to see his true talent (when and if that will ever come out). MGK can be inconsistent, but his flow is always on point. In the end, there will always be new rap that is just as good as the oldies. The best performers are always few and far between and we will be blessed with a few gems every generation.

icebliink 11-19-2012 03:57 PM

Hahahahaha! Stop trolling.

Fort23 11-19-2012 06:48 PM

wait are you saying that new rap is lyrical. because old rap is lyrical

HeathSchneibolk 11-19-2012 10:16 PM

First I am not trolling...second old rap is just as lyrical and new rap is. I am just saying that I grew up with the older songs and have fond memories of them, which makes me inclined to like them more than the newer stuff. But as with every genre of music, there is always a ton of music constantly coming out, but only a small percentage of it is actually good.

EaglesBecomeVultures 11-19-2012 10:18 PM

This is awesome.

HeathSchneibolk 11-19-2012 10:56 PM

Hahaha why is this awesome?

WooHa 11-20-2012 02:49 PM

[QUOTE=HeathSchneibolk;18968411]I agree and disagree. Mainstream rap is different than it use to be...and yes nostalgia is holding me back. I like some of the newer rappers out there. Lupe isn't new, but in respect to the history of hip-hop he is a relative newcomer. He is somewhat of a throwback, but at the same time has his own spin on things. I like what Hopsin is doing, but we will have to see what his new album brings to to the table to see his true talent (when and if that will ever come out). MGK can be inconsistent, but his flow is always on point. In the end, there will always be new rap that is just as good as the oldies. The best performers are always few and far between and we will be blessed with a few gems every generation.[/QUOTE]

You are talking about new rap which i confess liking more that old rap too, but you are using as references some of the dumbest rappers you could possibly use. Lupe is aight, but Hopsin? No, thanks. MGK?!!!!!?????? LMAO.

Mr MFN eXquire and Big KRIT are the emcees you might wanna check out.

Fort23 11-20-2012 06:41 PM

or danny brown. or earl

Wrathful 12-04-2012 11:51 PM

The only contemporary rap I actually like listening are Cunninlynguists, Brotha Lynch Hung, Aesop Rock or Busdriver. Hopsin is good and no he's not that bad but... there's something missing. He makes good beats but I would like more visual or abstract lyrics from him. His lyrics and flows may be too pedestrian.

Ando! 12-06-2012 09:33 PM

[QUOTE=Wrathful;18973392]The only contemporary rap I actually like listening are Cunninlynguists, Brotha Lynch Hung, Aesop Rock or Busdriver. Hopsin is good and no he's not that bad but... there's something missing. He makes good beats but I would like more visual or abstract lyrics from him. His lyrics and flows may be too pedestrian.[/QUOTE]

[img]http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/1533_55671626998_2509_n.jpg[/img]

Daily Routine 12-07-2012 01:12 AM

youtubed hopsin thought he was good

Wrathful 12-07-2012 07:20 AM

[QUOTE=Ando!;18974269][img]http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/1533_55671626998_2509_n.jpg[/img][/QUOTE]

Your picture is somewhat true to what I prefer except I'm not really that big into 2Pac or Biggie. I admit that I can be a bit of an elitist but I don't really like new rap much. Even I don't really feel too motivated to listen to good rappers like Kendrick Lamar or Lupe Fiasco.

Ando! 12-07-2012 07:48 AM

rofl i didnt know assholes like you still existed

Daily Routine 12-07-2012 01:23 PM

why does that meme use a pic of a boyscout

EaglesBecomeVultures 12-07-2012 04:51 PM

Child/backpacker

JizzInMyPants 12-07-2012 07:15 PM

My first experience with Kendrick lamarr was that Asap Rocky song and he was waaaaaaaack

sockhead 12-09-2012 02:35 AM

Don't judge Kendrick off that a$ap track, i didn't like it either and im a fan of both asap and kendrick for the most part. i think the styles of production have changed the most since the 90s and now which is what makes me a bigger fan of modern rap. you can still find good lyricism if you look for it but its usually not present in most mainstream rap

chambered49 12-14-2012 04:39 AM

danny brown slays

Greyvy 12-14-2012 04:31 PM

Danny Brown does in fact slay.

LetsDance 12-17-2012 07:33 AM

I am not sure about the people who always claim that old hip hop better than the new stuff. all they see when they're looking back is Tupac, B.I.G. - some of them maybe even A tribe Called Quest and Gangstarr. When they look at the current charts, they only see artists like lil' wayne and nikki minaj. but there were always bad artists and good ones. just because they're mainstream and widely known, doesn't mean that they should be the impersonation of new hip hop. By the way - what means 'old' and 'new'?

EaglesBecomeVultures 12-17-2012 11:39 AM

But what about Atmosphere?

EaglesBecomeVultures 12-17-2012 11:40 AM

[QUOTE=JizzInMyPants;18974654]My first experience with Kendrick lamarr was that Asap Rocky song and he was waaaaaaaack[/QUOTE]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMR45VOKj58[/url]

MalleusMaleficarum 12-17-2012 01:32 PM

money trees is an okay song but kendricks flow on it puts me to sleep

icebliink 12-17-2012 05:17 PM

[QUOTE=LetsDance;18979004]I am not sure about the people who always claim that old hip hop better than the new stuff. all they see when they're looking back is Tupac, B.I.G. - some of them maybe even A tribe Called Quest and Gangstarr. When they look at the current charts, they only see artists like lil' wayne and nikki minaj. but there were always bad artists and good ones. just because they're mainstream and widely known, doesn't mean that they should be the impersonation of new hip hop. By the way - what means 'old' and 'new'?[/QUOTE]

I've always thought of it like this: The mainstream hip hop back in the day is superior to modern day mainstream hip hop. Therefore the generalization becomes that old school hip hop is better than newer hip hop.

To be honest, as someone who doesn't really listen to pac or biggie that much, I don't see how anyone can dispute that pac and big are leaps and bounds better than their new school counterparts (lil wayne, drake, minaj etc). In terms of lyrical content and soulfulness I think modern day mainstream hip hop is a joke. The topics that made hip hop what it was, the struggle of trying to make it in a new genre that wasn't accepted by everyone and the struggle of growing up in rough areas riddled with poverty, just arn't there anymore. Drake and Lil Wayne don't have the kind of passion that say Wu-Tang clan or Gang Starr had. Not to say that a struggle is essential to make good music, because there were plenty of heavy hitters back in the day talking about other things like De La Soul or Beastie Boys. That being said I do think the underground scene has been fairly consistent through time. I'd actually argue that it has gotten better if you consider the likes of DOOM, Cunninlynguists, Illogic, Blueprint, etc.

enjoimx 12-17-2012 06:43 PM

yeah, i was just gonna say the same thing about the mainstream rap/rappers.

I feel like this year was a huge step up though, same thing with next year. There's always been good "underground" rappers (for lack of better terms because i hate using that word), but whats making it huge is that all these young(ish) mc's that are coming up now like a$ap rocky, danny brown, eXquire, kendrick, schoolboy Q, even gambino, are all CONNECTED. It just makes the scene soooo much better, you got all these killer artists constantly collaborating, touring, and whatnot.

nahmean?

LetsDance 12-18-2012 09:36 AM

Okay, I understand...but I am getting really angry when people always claim that "old" hip hop is better than the "new" and base their arguements upon the stuff they are hearing either on the radio or while watching mtv - what's shown there is trying to form some kind of uniform mass opinion and is surely not the basis for a discussion about hip hop for me. But I see what you two mean...you're probably right bout that!

Daily Routine 12-22-2012 01:36 AM

[QUOTE=EaglesBecomeVultures;18974577]Child/backpacker[/QUOTE]

wut

RosaParks 12-22-2012 03:29 PM

rap game woody harrelson