Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drums & Percussion (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Cymbal & Head Finder Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572337)

billdrum 03-18-2009 08:30 PM

Cymbal & Head Finder Thread

Looking for just the right cymbal or head? Ask here! Got a cymbal or drum sound in mind, but not sure what cymbal or head will give it to you? Ask here! Any other general questions about heads or cymbals? Ask here!

matt_h 03-19-2009 10:56 AM

*wanders into forum for the first time in months*

Where's the old one? :P

My kit has a Sabian Xs20 pack (14" Hats, 16" Crash and 20" Ride), I'm looking to expand with a second crash and a splash.

Crash - between the 2 crashes, I want to be able to play one (i.e. not just for accents); I play in a Church band and play a lot of Hillsong United stuff. Options are either get a 18" Crash-Ride, or get a 14" for accents and use the existing 16" for playing.

Splash - 8" or 10", don't mind, though having briefly visited my local drum shop earlier (before I came home from uni so I can't go back easily), 10" don't sound splashy enough for my liking.

So, the questions I have are...

What cymbals go well with the ones I have? I don't want the cymbals to sound out of place, I don't want a flat-sounding splash and I don't want the new crash to be a carbon-copy of my current one sound-wise. What to stay clear of?

I'm a cheap-skate and using eBay, and atm there are Paiste PST5 8" and 10" Splashes ending soon (£20-25 each). I have no idea if it will work well if my existing kit, and don't know if it's splashy enough. There's also a AAX 10" and a K 10".

My local drum shop also has some cheap new Stagg cymbals. Can't remember the line, again which ones are good, which are bad, or should I avoid them all-together?

Budget = under £100 on eBay for the two.

-TGP- 03-19-2009 12:38 PM

Whats the difference between HHX Power, Studio, X-plosion and Rock crashes?

Im assuming Studio is the thinest.. but where does it go from there?

Im going to be playing big band jazz to new age pop/rock with this new band im joining and i need some hella sick crash cymbals.

Tim 03-19-2009 10:39 PM

[QUOTE=-TGP-;17128816]Whats the difference between HHX Power, Studio, X-plosion and Rock crashes?

Im assuming Studio is the thinest.. but where does it go from there?

Im going to be playing big band jazz to new age pop/rock with this new band im joining and i need some hella sick crash cymbals.[/QUOTE]

power=heavy
studio=thin
xplosion=med. thin
rock=med heavy

stage crashes from hhx are medium but from aax are medium thin.

im pretty sure thats the way it goes.

bobby__johnny 04-03-2009 08:49 AM

oi. never thought i'd see the thread die /mourn

Seafroggys 04-03-2009 03:28 PM

well due to the activity of these forums, its probably fairly easy to keep your thread on the front page :)

Randy_Orton1 04-14-2009 06:18 PM

Hey,
I'm looking for a pair of hi-hats that would go good with my A Custom 18" Medium Crash (I love that cymbal, it's great). I need something that sounds good for rock/punk music. I'm a Zildjian whore, so only recommend Zildjian cymbals. Price is not really an issue :)

Aaron 04-14-2009 06:30 PM

14" New Beats.

Randy_Orton1 04-14-2009 07:01 PM

[QUOTE=Aaron;17181613]14" New Beats.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I was playing those at the music store and i liked them, and now coming as a suggestion, i'll take them! thanks

ant_182 04-15-2009 10:34 AM

Zildian A/A Custom Mastersounds or just regular A Customs

Bitterandthensome 05-23-2009 11:18 AM

I'm thinking of getting some new hi-hiats and I would like something thats crisp but not too loud. I've been thinking of getting some Sabian 13'' APX. Any other ideas?

DrumIntoTheNight 05-23-2009 11:36 AM

APX would be too loud, surely?

Try 13" AAX-celerators.

Bitterandthensome 05-23-2009 12:31 PM

Ya, that was the only thing I had against the APX. What's the the price difference like though?

DrumIntoTheNight 05-23-2009 01:20 PM

Wouldn't know, I assume they're around a similar price.

We_Love_Lime 05-30-2009 06:15 PM

What do you guys know about using like a coated ambassador as a reso head?

fishbulb 07-08-2009 05:48 PM

I don't know why i'm so retarded when it comes to drumheads but i can't decide on what heads would be best for me. I've read through the drum bible countless times and still can't come to a consensus.

I have a 14" x 5.5" Pork Pie Piglite acryllic snare that i'm going to be using for recording. I like a tight crack out of my snare drums but i also like some body with it. This leads me to an Remo Emperor over a Diplomat or Ambassador (a.k.a. single ply muffled over thin or medium resos).

I always have problems with sympathetic vibrations with the snare drum and i can never seem to tune them out. Would choice of heads aid in the removal of unwanted snare buzz?

Thankyou guys and once again sorry for my retardation.

ant_182 07-09-2009 11:04 AM

For that snare I'd get the CS Dot Reverse over and ambassador snare side.

Chrysostom 07-09-2009 01:02 PM

Would a Sabian AAX Stage Ride be a suitable cymbal for heavy rock/prog, because it's a medium weight cymbal rather than a heavy one, so I'm not sure? Could it stand the somewhat harder hitting that being heard at rock music volumes requires?

fishbulb 07-09-2009 02:50 PM

[QUOTE=ant_182;17352214]For that snare I'd get the CS Dot Reverse over and ambassador snare side.[/QUOTE]

That does look like exactly what i want but i'm getting them in evans since the rest of my heads are evans and i have OCD.

ant_182 07-09-2009 03:30 PM

[QUOTE=fishbulb;17352655]That does look like exactly what i want but i'm getting them in evans since the rest of my heads are evans and i have OCD.[/QUOTE]

Heh, that's cool man. I have that two. I have to switch all my hardware to DW, cymbals to Zildjian.(unless I have a set of paiste/zildjian etc seperate) and same with heads etc. And drums FVF Customs! But smooth mate :)

bobby__johnny 07-14-2009 08:23 AM

[QUOTE=Chrysostom;17352446]Would a Sabian AAX Stage Ride be a suitable cymbal for heavy rock/prog, because it's a medium weight cymbal rather than a heavy one, so I'm not sure? Could it stand the somewhat harder hitting that being heard at rock music volumes requires?[/QUOTE]

well, its a ride. if your beating the hell out of that to get it to project... then damn....

it will be fine.

Chrysostom 07-14-2009 05:26 PM

[QUOTE=bobby__johnny;17364214]well, its a ride. if your beating the hell out of that to get it to project... then damn....

it will be fine.[/QUOTE]

Oh I'd never really smack a cymbal. When I talk of harder hitting I mean hard compared to say, small combo jazz. I was worried about whether it would cut through the higher volumes, since most of the "properly" rock/metal rides Sabian do seem to be heavy weight things with raised profiles and bells. I'm glad you think it'll be ok though, because AAX Stage Rides have a bell to die for.

Rukhu 07-15-2009 02:53 AM

So I recently cracked my 15" AAXplosion crash (don't ask me how) and I'm looking for a replacement. My other crashes include a 16" HH and an 18" Paiste signature full crash. I'm currently in a post-rockish/indie band and would like something warmer in tone than the AAX but also something that will compliment the other two crashes.

I'm also looking at replacing 22" Paiste Reflector ride. Something that suits post-rock a bit better is what I'm after. So more mellow/warmer, ability to ride on it etc. Any suggestions are appreciated :D

Aaron 07-15-2009 05:37 AM

I'd look at something that can replace both of those [the crash and the ride].
Maybe a 20" K Ride or K Crash-Ride?

bobby__johnny 07-17-2009 10:58 AM

[QUOTE=Rukhu;17366208]So I recently cracked my 15" AAXplosion crash (don't ask me how) and I'm looking for a replacement. My other crashes include a 16" HH and an 18" Paiste signature full crash. I'm currently in a post-rockish/indie band and would like something warmer in tone than the AAX but also something that will compliment the other two crashes.

I'm also looking at replacing 22" Paiste Reflector ride. Something that suits post-rock a bit better is what I'm after. So more mellow/warmer, ability to ride on it etc. Any suggestions are appreciated :D[/QUOTE]

for the crash, look into something like an HHXplosion, it would give you the same character as the AAX, but would be warmer in tone.

Aaron 07-21-2009 09:06 PM

Alright, I'm looking to buy a new Zildjian K or K Custom Crash to add to my setup [can get a few of the models from this line at a discount], this is is what I've narrowed it down to between:

1 - 18" K Custom Session Crash
2 - 18" K Custom Medium-Thin Dark Crash
3 - 17" K Custom Medium-Thin Dark Crash

It's to pair with these [for a piano/drum duo]:
[I]06" Meinl Byzance Splash[/I]
[I]10" Istanbul Traditional Splash[/I]
[I]13" K/Z Hats[/I]
[I]16" K Custom Special Dry Crash[/I]
[I]22" K Heavy Ride[/I]
[I]20" Wuhan Medium-Thin Traditonal Ride[/I]

What you think? The Session can be rided, which means I could remove the Wuhan from my setup but is heavier in feel to the Dark Crashes.

Aaron 07-23-2009 09:11 PM

Well I went back for the third time today to try them and decided to buy the 18" Session and layby the 18" Dark Crash. :)

Static 07-23-2009 11:03 PM

Oi mate I approve ehehehe!

FL3P 08-09-2009 08:20 PM

I have one for you ride experts. I currently have an A Custom Medium ride and would like something similar but with a bit more ping. I have tried it against a Sabian Vault ride and they were nearly identical. I was thinking that maybe the AAX Stage ride might do the trick but I'm new to Sabian stuff..........but some recent experience has me leaning that way.

fishbulb 08-09-2009 09:07 PM

I believe there is an A Custom Ping ride (perhaps normal A, i'm not sure) that maybe you should try out.

For lots of ping you could try the Paiste 2002 Heavy Ride. I have the 20" version and it is very nice. Great stick definition, cutting and pretty sounding ping along with a beast of a bell. Check massmusic.net for a great deal on one ($220ish if i recall correctly).

I'm going out on a limb on this one, but check if there is an A Custom Heavy ride. If there it could be right up your alley.

EDIT: I checked massmusic for the heavy ride and it turns out that they hugely up'd the price of it to $280.