Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Rock & Metal (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Virtuosity in songwriting (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=570712)

interviewer02 01-18-2009 10:56 PM

Virtuosity in songwriting

My mind drifted off at work tonight and I started thinking about all of my favorite musicians. Guys like Schuldiner, Hetfield, Akerfeldt, Suicemez(sp), Maynard & Carrey, Thordenal & Haake, Rienert, Hoglan, and the list goes on an on.

Anyways my point is that almost all of my favorite musicians aren't virtuosos, and many virtuoso musicians that I've tried to get into aren't very fun for me to listen to past the point of me saying "wow, I can't believe he actually played that"

Can being a virtuoso actually in some ways hinder your ability to write well because of the shift of focus from writing a pleasing song to showing off your ability at your instrument? I think its debatable, I know there are virtuosos out there who write amazing stuff, and others who I wouldn't like at all, but what do you guys think?

What virtuoso musicians out there do you guys like/dislike, and why?

AA-12 01-18-2009 11:05 PM

i'm basically the resident shawn lane fanboy. i'd go as far to say he was both the most talented musician in history and one of the best songwriters too.

badtaste 01-18-2009 11:09 PM

[QUOTE=interviewer02;17038959]My mind drifted off at work tonight and I started thinking about all of my favorite musicians. Guys like Schuldiner, Hetfield, Akerfeldt, Suicemez(sp), Maynard & Carrey, Thordenal & Haake, Rienert, Hoglan, and the list goes on an on.

Anyways my point is that almost all of my favorite musicians aren't virtuosos, and many virtuoso musicians that I've tried to get into aren't very fun for me to listen to past the point of me saying "wow, I can't believe he actually played that"

Can being a virtuoso actually in some ways hinder your ability to write well because of the shift of focus from writing a pleasing song to showing off your ability at your instrument? I think its debatable, I know there are virtuosos out there who write amazing stuff, and others who I wouldn't like at all, but what do you guys think?

What virtuoso musicians out there do you guys like/dislike, and why?[/QUOTE]

This suggests to me that you don't like virtuoso music.

Murdererer 01-18-2009 11:49 PM

yea hetfield rulez baby yeaaaaaa

interviewer02 01-19-2009 12:29 AM

[QUOTE=badtaste;17038982]This suggests to me that you don't like virtuoso music.[/QUOTE]

I do if its written well. I like some Dream Theater and Malmsteen has some okay stuff.

burtonbassist_102 01-19-2009 12:39 AM

one thing that you have to realize is that in a lot of cases (dream theater being my example), the "virtuosos" aren't writing to show off. they're writing technical, advanced music because:

1) it's what they like to play.
2) they write music that challenges them as musicians, so they can keep progessing on their instruments.
3) it's just how they express themselves.

not to dog on you, but i'm getting sick of people saying that "dream theater can't write songs." then what do you call what they write? what makes a song?

just because when john petrucci it doesn't sound as "emotional" as when say, john frusciante does, that doesn't mean that john petrucci isn't feeling the same emotions as frusciante.

ghettoeddo 01-19-2009 12:59 AM

put up your flame shield for defending dream theater.

oh and i totally agree with you

marcus_in_absentia 01-19-2009 01:03 AM

petrucci has no soul in his playing? FWIW, Suspended Animation is one of the most inspired albums I've ever listened to, second (IMHO) only to Get Out Of My Yard.

lak89 01-19-2009 04:43 AM

^Get Out Of My Yard is excellent, Paul Gilbert is a really tasteful guitarist.

Suspended Animation is one of the best instrumental albums out there, of course not to mention inspired, it's got everything from straight out metal (Jaws Of Life, Damage Control), well written ballads (Wishful Thinking, Lost Without You), some Satriani influence (Curve), Techno influence (Tunnel Vision), Scottish influence lol (Glasgow Kiss) and IMO Arabic influence (Animate-Inanimate)

For what I know, sometimes being virtuosic can hinder ability for emotions, though not always, e.g Francesco Fareri (sp?), he's blindingly fast and but there's no real musical substance and his vibrato is terrible. I totally agree with the Dream Theater statement up there too

Morumbar 01-19-2009 06:15 AM

I'd say that Hetfield is totally a virtuoso. He may not be the fastest lead guitar player, but there are so many people trying to be able to play like him.. Same goes for Jon Schaffer for example. I mean, playing a song isn't the same as sounding really tight at it.

When it comes to lead guitarist virtuoso's, I have to admit that the extremely fast playing starts to bore me after a while (Yes, I'm looking at you, Yngwie, though I do like your music).
Dream Theater writes some intense stuff, though for me, the really prog-ish riffs they do sometimes (you guys know what kind of sound I mean) hold less emotional value.

lak89 01-19-2009 08:02 AM

^I agree, Hetfield is a virtuoso at rhythm guitar playing :), one of the best out there, too many people bash Metallica too much to take note of this, or at least overlooked. Try playing Battery or Blackened or anything of that sort while singing

RiceMonster 01-19-2009 08:37 AM

People praise Hetfield because he's in Metallica. Same with Kirk Hammet.

Morumbar 01-19-2009 08:45 AM

Kirk is not really an interesting guitarist. Hetfield is good.

ghettoeddo 01-19-2009 09:00 AM

[QUOTE=RiceMonster;17039689]People praise Hetfield because he's in Metallica. Same with Kirk Hammet.[/QUOTE]

on these forums, people hate on hetfield b/c he's in metallica. same with kirk hammett

but kirk really is terrible.

interviewer02 01-19-2009 10:30 AM

[QUOTE=burtonbassist_101;17039160]one thing that you have to realize is that in a lot of cases (dream theater being my example), the "virtuosos" aren't writing to show off. they're writing technical, advanced music because:

1) it's what they like to play.
2) they write music that challenges them as musicians, so they can keep progessing on their instruments.
3) it's just how they express themselves.

not to dog on you, but i'm getting sick of people saying that "dream theater can't write songs." then what do you call what they write? what makes a song?

just because when john petrucci it doesn't sound as "emotional" as when say, john frusciante does, that doesn't mean that john petrucci isn't feeling the same emotions as frusciante.[/QUOTE]

Dream Theater is one of my favorite bands, I think a lot of the times they write great songs, and they are an example of a band of virtuoso's that actually write good music.

interviewer02 01-19-2009 10:32 AM

[QUOTE=Ceminon;17039692]Kirk is not really an interesting guitarist. Hetfield is good.[/QUOTE]

Kirk's work in the 80's was amazing, he wrote great solos back then. Now, hes terrible...but he was never a virtuoso anyways.

McP3000 01-19-2009 10:33 AM

[QUOTE=ghettoeddo;17039713]on these forums, people hate on hetfield b/c he's in metallica. same with kirk hammett

but kirk really is terrible.[/QUOTE]
i would agree with the sentiment for hammett if he hadn't written Fade To Black, which completely saved him in my book

interviewer02 01-19-2009 10:35 AM

[QUOTE=McP3000;17039848]i would agree with the sentiment for hammett if he hadn't written Fade To Black, which completely saved him in my book[/QUOTE]

wait, he wrote fade to Black? I thought Hetfield wrote almost all their songs. What else did hammet write?

McP3000 01-19-2009 10:39 AM

idk all i know is that he wrote the main riff to fade to black and the song's solo

interviewer02 01-19-2009 10:40 AM

[QUOTE=McP3000;17039860]idk all i know is that he wrote the main riff to fade to black and the song's solo[/QUOTE]

That makes sense, I bet Hetfield wrote the rest.

McP3000 01-19-2009 10:45 AM

well thats basically the entire song so umm

trtrzgunners 01-19-2009 10:53 AM

Well you get Dimebag who has technical ability and is unique

I think most of the virtuosos went through music schools and lots of music theories and appreciation, that is why sometimes they can follow the rules abit too much

Dream theater is kind of an exception though as they are unique and are good songwriters.

RiceMonster 01-19-2009 11:05 AM

RIP Dimebag :(:(:(

ghettoeddo 01-19-2009 12:03 PM

gise none of these bands are elite.
problem