Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Punk (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   The Official Clash & Joe Strummer Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304613)

Coma_Girl 05-15-2005 07:08 PM

[QUOTE=guns_of_brixton]Even if the Clash weren't perfect live, they still had alot of energy and stuff.

Actually. I'm not even sure if thats is what you guys are talking about, because my computer had been buttfuc[B]k[/B]ed with spyware and viruses and its too slow for me to gou back pages :(.[/QUOTE]
sean!!!i thought you were dead.and where's dustin?and white riot?huuuh

TheNowhereman42 05-15-2005 07:25 PM

[QUOTE=guns_of_brixton]Even if the Clash weren't perfect live, they still had alot of energy and stuff.

Actually. I'm not even sure if thats is what you guys are talking about, because my computer had been buttfuc[B]k[/B]ed with spyware and viruses and its too slow for me to gou back pages :(.[/QUOTE]

they suposedly were awesome for the first half of the show, then ran out of energy

Coma_Girl 05-15-2005 07:28 PM

[QUOTE=TheNowhereman42]they suposedly were awesome for the first half of the show, then ran out of energy[/QUOTE]
bah, at least they were half-awesome. it's a lot more awesome than a lot of bands.

tom!i thought you were dead. :p

guns_of_brixton 05-15-2005 07:33 PM

[QUOTE=Coma_Girl]sean!!!i thought you were dead.and where's dustin?and white riot?huuuh[/QUOTE]

I'm back from the dead :).

[QUOTE]they suposedly were awesome for the first half of the show, then ran out of energy[/QUOTE]

When I was reading the Last Gang in Town, one of the Sex Pistols said the same thing.

Coma_Girl 05-15-2005 07:37 PM

[QUOTE=guns_of_brixton]I'm back from the dead :).

When I was reading the Last Gang in Town, one of the Sex Pistols said the same thing.[/QUOTE]
maybe tom was in the pistols and maybe his real name is not tom but johnny :rolleyes:

pfff the pistols.they didnt like the clash that much i think...so we cant trust them

TheNowhereman42 05-15-2005 07:41 PM

[QUOTE=Coma_Girl]bah, at least they were half-awesome. it's a lot more awesome than a lot of bands.

tom!i thought you were dead. :p[/QUOTE]

Didn't post much this weekend, friday I saw Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy untill midnight, and last night I got really lightly stoned and fairly drunk and ended up staying at a friends.

And I acctually read the energy thing in Johnny Rotten's book so maby thats just what the Sex Pistols think

Coma_Girl 05-15-2005 07:49 PM

[QUOTE=TheNowhereman42]Didn't post much this weekend, friday I saw Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy untill midnight, and last night I got really lightly stoned and fairly drunk and ended up staying at a friends.

And I acctually read the energy thing in Johnny Rotten's book so maby thats just what the Sex Pistols think[/QUOTE]
is it a good book?i tried to find it, but i guess i'll have to order it from amazon or something when i'll have money.

i really think johnny hated joe.

TheNowhereman42 05-15-2005 07:55 PM

Yeah it was pretty good, Its written in a pretty cool way, where each chapter is written by a different person close to Johnny, and then he writes a few himself. I got it at Barns and Noble.

I assume we're both talking about Rotten: No Blacks, Dogs, or Irishmen

Coma_Girl 05-15-2005 08:11 PM

[QUOTE=TheNowhereman42]Yeah it was pretty good, Its written in a pretty cool way, where each chapter is written by a different person close to Johnny, and then he writes a few himself. I got it at Barns and Noble.

I assume we're both talking about Rotten: No Blacks, Dogs, or Irishmen[/QUOTE]
yes :thumb:

guns_of_brixton 05-15-2005 08:14 PM

[QUOTE=Coma_Girl]i really think johnny hated joe.[/QUOTE]

I think that too. Johnny was an a[B]ss[/B]hole.

Coma_Girl 05-15-2005 08:18 PM

[QUOTE=guns_of_brixton]So do I. He was an a[B]ss[/B]hole.[/QUOTE]
:eek:
the way you said that make it sounds like you hate joe cause he's an a[U]s[/U]shole

guns_of_brixton 05-15-2005 09:02 PM

Ohh :eek:.

I'll edit that : :p.

white_riot 05-15-2005 09:57 PM

i was reading somewhere that Johnny said that The Clash wrote bad lyrics. I think he was just jealous of them. Because The Clash are better.

CombatRock 05-16-2005 01:49 PM

only reasons Jhonny and the Pistols said these things about The Clash is because they were jelous.

white_riot 05-16-2005 02:02 PM

Of course they were jealous. Has anyone heard Anarchy in the USA by The Clash and the pistols. I downloaded it a while back. Its a good song.

guns_of_brixton 05-16-2005 02:20 PM

[QUOTE=white_riot]i was reading somewhere that Johnny said that The Clash wrote bad lyrics. I think he was just jealous of them. Because The Clash are better.[/QUOTE]

Johnny wrote crappy lyrics. Alot of people don't like the Clash because they are associated alot with the Pistols. My friend thought the Clash were a "s[B]hit[/B]ty punk band" until I played the Guns of Brixton and Tommy Gun for him.

Coma_Girl 05-16-2005 03:22 PM

[QUOTE=white_riot]i was reading somewhere that Johnny said that The Clash wrote bad lyrics. I think he was just jealous of them. Because The Clash are better.[/QUOTE]
bad lyrics? :lol: Johnny is so gay sometimes. But I still like him cause he looked like a cute puppy when he was younger

SlappedByTheClash 05-16-2005 04:09 PM

Of course Johnny Rotten said that, he tries to insult everyone to look cool.

His lyrics are far surpassed by Joe's, so he's simply envious of The Strumma's writing abilities.

white_riot 05-16-2005 05:27 PM

[QUOTE]His lyrics are far surpassed by Joe's, so he's simply envious of The Strumma's writing abilities.[/QUOTE]

Thats very true.

Coma_Girl 05-16-2005 05:45 PM

i like this interview
(sniffin' glue, september 1976, by steve walsh)

I typed it all myself from the book LFHTH...it took me a while, so be greatful!
SW: Steve Walsh, MJ: Mick Jones, JS: Joe Strummer, PS: Paul Simonon.

[U]Interview Part 1[/U]

SW: What's the name about, why call yourselves Clash?

PS: Well, it's a clash against things that are going on...the music scene, and all that we're hoping to change quite a lot.

SW: Does this mean you're political?

MJ: Yes, we're definitely political!

[B]JS: We wanna be the apathy party of Great Britain, so that all the people who don't vote go out and don't vote for us![/B]

MJ: We're really into encouraging creativity...We ain't a bunch of raving facists!

SW: Are you a bunch of raving anarchists?

JS: I don't believe in all that anarchy bollocks!

MJ: Yeah, anarchists believe in lawlessness...Look, the only important thing is to encourage people to do things for themselves, think for themselves and stand up for what their rights are.

SW: You hate apathy?

MJ: Oh, I fu[U]c[/U]kin' hate apathy but I hate ignorance more than anything.

SW: Do you try to put this over your songs?

MJ: All our songs are about being honest, right? The situation as we see it, right?

SW: Right! So the songs relate directly to you and your environment?

MJ: Right, otherwise we'd be writing bull****!
----------------
(....)
----------------
SW: What do you think is wrong with people today?

MJ: They're apathetic...boring...boring music bores me!Boring 'cause it's not new, boring cause it's not...

JS: It's a lie...

MJ: ...They ain't pushin' themselves nowhere, they ain't being creative.

JS: Where's that picture of the George Hatcher Band?

PS: Oh yeah, that's a real joke, that is...

JS: We found this to be...

MJ: Hilarious, have you seen it? (They hold up an advertisement for the George Hatcher Band showing 2 members in typical stage pose.)

JS: I mean, the whole thing is a lie, it means nothing.

MJ: Except that they're on tour with Dr. Feelgood.

JS: All this crap like, oh yeah, they've got long hair and he's got his arm up here and look at his cowboy shirt and the trousers.

SW: What have clothes got to do with it?

MJ: Well, this is what rock'n'roll's supposed to look like...

JS: It's a state of mind.

MJ: What's the difference between this ad and the cover of last week's NME, it's the same pose ain't it? I think that's the same pair of trousers, from "Jean Machine." (Mick was referring to the previous week's cover pic of the Rod's Dave Higgs.)

SW: But they're a pair of trousers!

JS: No, you can't say that's clothes and this is music, it's a state of mind, a complete thing. If anything was going on in that bloke's head he would do something about it.

---------
(...)
---------
JS: We deal in junk, you know, I just realized that the other day. We deal in junk. We deal in, like, the rubbish bin. What we've got is what other people have put in the rubbish bin. Like Mick's shirt was gonna be put in the bin until he paid 10p for it. I mean, you ain't gonna go down to "Sex" with yer ten quid stuffed in yer pocket and buy some stupid...er...I dunno, I've never even been down there.

MJ: I think it's a bit easy to go down there and look great, I mean, their stuff's pretty good. Looks good to me, but I think the way we do it is much more accessible to kids cos anyone, at very little price and it encourages 'em to do something for themselves. It's to do with personal freedom...I don't think it's just the trousers though, I mean, the trousers reflect the mind.

[B]JS: Like trousers, like brain![/B]

(more to come, yeah!my favorite quotes are in bold :thumb: )

white_riot 05-16-2005 05:49 PM

[QUOTE]JS: Like trousers, like brain![/QUOTE]

I love that one!

guns_of_brixton 05-16-2005 05:53 PM

[QUOTE][B]JS: Like trousers, like brain[/B]![/QUOTE]

:lol:

Coma_Girl 05-16-2005 05:54 PM

[U]Interview Part 2[/U]

-------------------
(...)
-------------------
SW: What was that with the radio at the 100 Club gig?

JS: Well, all that was...I' d been lucky and bought a cheap transistor in a junk shop for ten bob and it worked quite well. I'd been going around with it on my ear for a few days just to se what it was like. When someone broke a string I got it out and it just happened to be something about Northern Ireland.

MJ: A state of emergency...

SW: Yeah, bombs...I thought it was interesting: I thought maybe it was part of the way you approach your audience.

MJ: That was part of it, but we've tried other things since then, like at the Roundhouse...er...we "talked" to the audience...

JS: But they were half asleep...

MJ: The ones who were awake were pretty clever.

JS: I didn't think so, I mean YOU could hear them, I couldn't. How can I answer smartass jibes when I can't even hear them? All I could hear was some girl saying "nyah nyah nyah!" and then everyone goes "aha, ha, ha" (bursts out laughing.) If you can't hear what they're saying, then you can't really get out your great wit!

MJ: Well, I'm sure they were funny cause everyone was laughing at them, but when Joe said something like, you know, "Fu[U]c[/U]k off, fatso!" there was just complete silence! (more laughter)

-------------------
(...)
-------------------
SW: What do you think of bands that just go out and enjoy themselves?

MJ: You know what I think, I think they're a bunch of ostriches: they're sticking their heads in the fu[U]c[/U]king sand!They're enjoying themselves at the audience's expense. They're taking their audience for a ride, feeding the audience s[U]h[/U]it!

SW: What if the audience say they're enjoying themselves ?

JS: Look, the situation is far too serious for enjoyment, man.Maybe when we're 55 we can play tubas in the sun, alright then to enjoy yourselves, but now!

MJ: I think if you wanna fu[U]c[/U]kin' enjoy yourselves you sit in an armchair and watch tv, but if you wanna get actively involved, cause rock n rol's about rebellion. Look, I had this conversation with Bryan James of the ****ed and we were sreaming at each other for about 3 hours cause he stands for enjoying himself and I stand for change and creativity.

JS: I'd rather play to an audience and them not enjoy it, if we were doing what we thought was honest. Rather than us go up and sing "Get outta Denver, baby", and do what we didnt think was honest.
-----------
(...)

CombatRock 05-16-2005 06:19 PM

were did you get that from andy?

Coma_Girl 05-16-2005 06:25 PM

[QUOTE=combatrock*bass]were did you get that from andy?[/QUOTE]
Let Fury Have The Hour.

CombatRock 05-16-2005 07:30 PM

was it just a big book of interviews?

Coma_Girl 05-16-2005 07:39 PM

no, it's a chapter of the book and the chapter is called "the very angry clash" and it's a gay chapter name, but the best interview ever.

"like trousers, like brain!" :lol:

guns_of_brixton 05-16-2005 08:01 PM

Did I already tell you guys that my friend thought Elvis Costello was in the Clash?

Coma_Girl 05-16-2005 08:09 PM

[QUOTE=guns_of_brixton]Did I already tell you guys that my friend thought Elvis Costello was in the Clash?[/QUOTE]
yep :lol:

CombatRock 05-16-2005 09:22 PM

[QUOTE=guns_of_brixton]Did I already tell you guys that my friend thought Elvis Costello was in the Clash?[/QUOTE]

Im going to have to beat this guy up.