Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   History (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Sound Off (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502181)

mx 11-20-2006 04:38 PM

[quote]There should be a waiting period before you can post. There should be a longer TIMED waiting period before you can start threads. Not based on post count, but how long you've been here, like a week or something.[/quote]

Right now it's a day. I don't want to discourage new, legitimate users that much

kurrpt 11-20-2006 04:38 PM

After reading some of MXs posts, I have to say I'm alarmed he even throws this place a bone after a while :/

mx 11-20-2006 04:41 PM

[quote]I had nothing to do with any of that. If you want to take that out on me and everyone else then so be it. It isn't just your fault, but you're not free of blame either. Your methods for picking staff members are laughable, your public relations are nearly non-existent, and then you want to sit back and say, "It's all your guys' fault! I did nothing wrong!" It's pretty much a one-sided debate on both sides of the spectrum and no one is ever going to gain any ground with attitudes the way they are right now.

Anyway, thanks for blowing up on me when all I did was reply to your thread with much the same mindset that you seemed to be in when you made it.[/quote]

I'm not taking it out on you, I'm just pointing out the reasons why the administrator is disillusioned. Would you honestly feel inclined to help out more if things like that happened to you when you were trying to help? It's not like I see pron pictures and all of a sudden get thrilled at posting in the pit. You are suggesting that I get more involved every time people attack me personally. It's not a logical equation. I am not doing this is a job, it's not a duty. If you want me to be here and involved, don't be an *** to me and the moderators.

Of course I realize that my running of this forum has not been perfect. But that doesn't mean that everything a user does in violation of the rules is somehow my fault, or that nothing needs to change around here.

Apollyon 11-20-2006 04:45 PM

[QUOTE=mx;13666052]I'm not taking it out on you, I'm just pointing out the reasons why the administrator is disillusioned. Would you honestly feel inclined to help out more if things like that happened to you when you were trying to help? It's not like I see pron pictures and all of a sudden get thrilled at posting in the pit.[/QUOTE]

Hey man, I think it was way over the top too. I'm not disagreeing with you. I mean, if you really think that going completely Hitler on this place is going to improve it, or that it's even worth the effort to go to that extent, then by all means, go for it. I like to think that I'm an alright member here anymore, so I'm not too worried about doing anything that will get me banned.

All I'm suggesting is that you approach the situation from multiple levels. The staff, the board set-up, the user/moderator interaction and moderator duty execution - don't just take one course of action and be pissed off and disappointed if it doesn't work the way you hoped. If this place is too hard to administrate by yourself, then by all means get another admin. But really pay attention to who the users would like to see in that spot. There are a ton of ways to improve this place, but all of them involve making decisions [i]with[/i] the community.

gocubs649 11-20-2006 04:46 PM

Jeremy,

Have you never been actually able to take legal action? I remember you talking about how mx is a business and hackers interrupt that business. Or is there just no point, I guess there may not be. I mean I remember Jim telling me they were going to do something about Plexi, like legally... That never amounted to anything I guess. I remember when a mod called Adam's Dad and told him what he was doing lol...

But wow phone calls to your family... Damn, that's like harassment =/...

kurrpt 11-20-2006 04:47 PM

Really MX...

It all comes down to what motivated you to start this site to begin with. If you had a goal in mind, or something to gain from it (directly, or in-directly) you'd have to ask yourself if you are still getting some sort of benefit from it.

I personally don't see any need for justification if a course of action is set into place, whether it be banning users, or making changes 'for the better'. Sure, people will question it, whine, troll, etc, but those are ultimately the people you are attempting to target in the first place

burning star IV 11-20-2006 04:51 PM

I think I should renew my self appointed position as the MX Narc. It seemed to work for a little while.

fattymattk 11-20-2006 04:53 PM

[QUOTE=mx;13666039]Right now it's a day. I don't want to discourage new, legitimate users that much[/QUOTE]

yeah I thought of that. But I think there's a point where your priorities should shift from getting more members to having good members. The SA forum charges $10 for a sign up, and that doesn't discourage people from signing up. Not saying you should charge money, I'm just saying that if someone thinks this forum is worth their time, they'll wait a few days. If not, then the forum isn't really worse off without them. Combined with permanent bans, I think this is a good way to deal with people who cause trouble. If it takes 10 seconds to ban someone, and three days for them to get another working account, then the moderators are going to win over time. The user might persist, but they're going to grow tired of it before the moderators do.

kurrpt 11-20-2006 04:55 PM

I think he should just remove the pit and the ask mods thread for some time. It doesn't seem to help create a community, which is ultimately why it was created, nor is there any REAL discussion

Eliminator 11-20-2006 04:57 PM

There's no community in GD.

Kurrpt has theories!

fattymattk 11-20-2006 04:59 PM

[QUOTE=Kurrpt;13666152]I think he should just remove the pit and the ask mods thread for some time. It doesn't seem to help create a community, which is ultimately why it was created, nor is there any REAL discussion[/QUOTE]

I don't think GD is the problem. :-/

Ando! 11-20-2006 05:01 PM

[QUOTE=sensitiveorgan00;13666021]Mod elections.[/QUOTE]

I think it was Alexander Hamiltion who said "beware the rule of the mob"

kurrpt 11-20-2006 05:01 PM

well, its clear that behavior isn't tolerated in the guitar forums, and its DEFINITELY not tolerated in R&M. If that behavior is tolerated there, why should it be tolerated here, in GD.

It's not like GD has had a meaningful or beneficial topic of discussion since it was reinstated.

kurrpt 11-20-2006 05:02 PM

popularity seems to be part of the problem. If anything, they need a hard arse that doesn't mind being 'hated' on

Ando! 11-20-2006 05:03 PM

[QUOTE=Kurrpt;13666198]well, its clear that behavior isn't tolerated in the guitar forums, and its DEFINITELY not tolerated in R&M. If that behavior is tolerated there, why should it be tolerated here, in GD.

It's not like GD has had a meaningful or beneficial topic of discussion since it was reinstated.[/QUOTE]

GD's supposed to have a singular topic of discussion?

I Am a Hat 11-20-2006 05:05 PM

i can honestly say that if kurrpt didn't post in GD anymore it would make discussion better, and i really mean that i'm not just saying it to be mean

Jude 11-20-2006 05:05 PM

I'm kind of curious what the major problems are here. Did something happen in some specific forum, like the Site one? None of the forums I go in regularly (the genre forums, GD, PNWI, bass, and S&L) have any excess of spam, unless you want to call goofy and mindless threads in the Pit spam, which I don't because they're just open for people to talk about whatever. As for hacking, I can see that that's been a problem but I haven't seen any of that recently.

sobelecta 11-20-2006 05:05 PM

I think in a perfect world, these forums would be lively with all the old'uns having a ripe old chat with the odd bit of sarcastic humour and a little bit of flaming to liven things up a bit. It just went too far at a point. I mean, we're not in a perfect world.

Kingofdudes 11-20-2006 05:07 PM

The only thing about putting a waiting time on posting to stop people from coming back is the fact that people like chad probably have a nice beefy text file with a list of users he can easily hijack.

[QUOTE=Kurrpt;13666204]popularity seems to be part of the problem. If anything, they need a hard arse that doesn't mind being 'hated' on[/QUOTE]

Like Ken? We all saw how that worked out :-/

kurrpt 11-20-2006 05:08 PM

well, a brief glance down the first page of threads in GD shows how pointless it is. It's either a single user doing a shout out at another user, that could either be done via email, or some sort of chat service..

some emo kid whining about how his life sucks...

some random thread about peoples hair, which at first glance, appears as if people are truely interested in such trivial things, but usually winds up where noone actually reads the thread.

Actually, thats majority of the threads in GD

fattymattk 11-20-2006 05:09 PM

[QUOTE=Kurrpt;13666198]well, its clear that behavior isn't tolerated in the guitar forums, and its DEFINITELY not tolerated in R&M. If that behavior is tolerated there, why should it be tolerated here, in GD.

It's not like GD has had a meaningful or beneficial topic of discussion since it was reinstated.[/QUOTE]

you're welcome to not post here.

angry armadillo 11-20-2006 05:09 PM

hi MX,

i read your post at the start of the post, and i thought, im not really one of the people you are addressing, one of the spammer/hackers/etc

but i kinda read your post and got the impression you think there are a lot more bad users than there really are

fair enough it must be annoying to put so much effort into this site to see a minority mess it up.

but that has nothing to do with me and a large percentage of posters here

my suggestion for improvement is simple, you become harder on people who disrespect your site - ie, no more 2nd 3rd 4th accounts, just ban them as soon as you know that it is someone you dont like

if they make another and whine, just delete the post, ban them again, we all know how futile it is to argue with this people so just not dont allow them to post.... simple :-)

an aside: jude your avatar is from an awesome video :cool:

Ando! 11-20-2006 05:09 PM

[QUOTE=semi]wrong. and you are not one to talk.
Sure, people will question it, whine, troll, etc, but those are ultimately the people you are attempting to target in the first place
you got permed for months at a time and whined about it more than anyone.
but that's not what this thread is about. and it's not about gd in general. its about the few users who arent here right now and blaming their actions on the pit or even the entire forums. you know ilu but it's very clearly not the pit that is to blame here. lets get back on topic k?[/QUOTE]

Well if Jeremy made a thread like this in every forum everyone in that forum is automatically going to claim that it's not the problem. If Jeremy was really in a mood to listen to arguments like "nonono this forum isn't the problem" all we'd get rid of is tab talk.

kurrpt 11-20-2006 05:10 PM

[QUOTE=fattymattk;13666245]you're welcome to not post here.[/QUOTE]

...and the inverse is also true. thank you for stating the obvious :wave:

at any rate, I totally support MX/Jeremy in whatever he chooses to do with this place

I Am a Hat 11-20-2006 05:12 PM

[QUOTE=Kalmah;13666242]What are you talking about?[/QUOTE]

kurrpts a bad seed

semi 11-20-2006 05:14 PM

ando i dont think you know what the problem is then.
its not any of those forums either. theres a few users 2-20 they say. and no forum should be punished because of it. no matter who they are.
the pit is in no way related to hacking and shouldnt be punished for it and it did not help last time.

Ando! 11-20-2006 05:14 PM

[QUOTE=Kurrpt;13666243]well, a brief glance down the first page of threads in GD shows how pointless it is. It's either a single user doing a shout out at another user, that could either be done via email, or some sort of chat service..

some emo kid whining about how his life sucks...

some random thread about peoples hair, which at first glance, appears as if people are truely interested in such trivial things, but usually winds up where noone actually reads the thread.

Actually, thats majority of the threads in GD[/QUOTE]

A pretty poor summation of the threads in GD, but I digress. There are several useful, trafficked threads in here, like L&R and the Short Story thread. When a person otherwise makes a thread he can consistently get a good handful of serious responses, at which point more serious replies become vestigial.

Btw, is middletown near Lancaster, or am I thinking of the wrong place?

Eliminator 11-20-2006 05:15 PM

kurrpt is a troll

Ando! 11-20-2006 05:15 PM

[QUOTE=semi;13666274]ando i dont think you know what the problem is then.
its not any of those forums either. theres a few users 2-20 they say. and no forum should be punished because of it. no matter who they are.
the pit is in no way related to hacking and shouldnt be punished for it and it did not help last time.[/QUOTE]

you are right in the regard that the actions of the specific are no excuse punishing the general.

I Am a Hat 11-20-2006 05:16 PM

[QUOTE=Kalmah;13666273]What if I I said "it's a better poster than you"

I used "it's" because you obviously don't refer to [I]people[/I] as it, rather people as [I]it[/I]

You like that?[/QUOTE]
i kill threads, i don't post on topic, i make horrible jokes

lets see you insult me now

I Am a Hat 11-20-2006 05:18 PM

[QUOTE=Kalmah;13666294]I can't rep you at the moment, fag, maybe later

Hmm can somebody tell me why Light Fantastic only posts in GD and remains unbanned, ready to [I]strike[/I] at any moment? Maybe he's moved on in his career in ICT perhaps.[/QUOTE]

i don't think ive ever seen him post in GD

Ando! 11-20-2006 05:18 PM

[QUOTE=Kalmah;13666294]I can't rep you at the moment, fag, maybe later

Hmm can somebody tell me why Light Fantastic only posts in GD and remains unbanned, ready to [I]strike[/I] at any moment? Maybe he's moved on in his career in ICT perhaps.[/QUOTE]

I don't think [I]the[/I] Chad is really a big deal anymore, it's the second-generation Chads that are killing us.

semi 11-20-2006 05:19 PM

[quote]ready to [I]strike[/I] at any moment? Maybe he's moved on in his career in ICT perhaps.[/quote]what?
he posts well in media centre anyway. and he is banned.
he just came on and is reading the thread. and he was on last night.

Kingofdudes 11-20-2006 05:21 PM

[QUOTE=Ando!;13666303]I don't think [I]the[/I] Chad is really a big deal anymore, it's the second-generation Chads that are killing us.[/QUOTE]

What the hell are you talking about? He spammed the sputnik new section last night.

gocubs649 11-20-2006 05:21 PM

[QUOTE=Ando!;13666303]I don't think [I]the[/I] Chad is really a big deal anymore, it's the second-generation Chads that are killing us.[/QUOTE]

Haha Chad is still a newer troublemaker by far.

Chad is probably like a fifth generation of someone else :p

Ando! 11-20-2006 05:22 PM

[QUOTE=Kingofdudes;13666317]What the hell are you talking about? He spammed the sputnik new section last night.[/QUOTE]

Spam is hardly what Chad has us worried about.

Dead Star 11-20-2006 05:22 PM

[QUOTE=Dimes Make Dollars;13666320]Chadwatch 06

keeps you hangin' on Chad's every move[/QUOTE]

Have you seen this Chad?

Call this number right away!

Ganondorf 11-20-2006 05:24 PM

mx should have a secret police, like unnamed mods who just look like regular users with low post counts. They can perma ban and temp ban people and not get bitched at because peopel won't even know who they are. Seriously, they can have all the features of a regular user, like look like normal undercover secret police.

I Am a Hat 11-20-2006 05:25 PM

[QUOTE=Kalmah;13666273]
I used "it's" because you obviously don't refer to [I]people[/I] as it, rather people as [I]it[/I]

You like that?[/QUOTE]
i still don't get this
[QUOTE=Ganondorf;13666341]mx should have a secret police, like unnamed mods who just look like regular users with low post counts. They can perma ban and temp ban people and not get bitched at because peopel won't even know who they are. Seriously, they can have all the features of a regular user, like look like normal undercover secret police.[/QUOTE]
thats like one of those really good ideas that would really work, but its just too cool for it to happen

Ando! 11-20-2006 05:26 PM

[QUOTE=Ganondorf;13666341]mx should have a secret police, like unnamed mods who just look like regular users with low post counts. They can perma ban and temp ban people and not get bitched at because peopel won't even know who they are. Seriously, they can have all the features of a regular user, like look like normal undercover secret police.[/QUOTE]

I think the "secret police" concept would entail a lot of spam and ridiculous stuff.

I'm not sure Vbulletin allows for that either.