Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Archives (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Seymour Duncan '59 vs Jazz Neck Pickup (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309787)

matrixman_397 03-03-2005 06:30 AM

Seymour Duncan '59 vs Jazz Neck Pickup

Could someone describe the differences between these two pickups. I am getting a JB in the bridge position on my Epiphone Les Paul.

I mainly use the neck pickup for clean sounds and only ocassionaly for distortion, so am really looking for the pickup with more clarity and warmth.

Any opinions of these pickups would be much appreciated!

;)

unclebobscircus 03-03-2005 11:03 AM

The Jazz has more of a sparkling, crisp clean tone, and it overdrives nicely.

The '59 has a bit more of an agressive tone (still very good clean, don't get me wrong, but not as good as the Jazz), and overdrives a bit better than the Jazz.

Left Face Down 03-03-2005 11:04 AM

I like the Jazz a lot more, they're very similar sound wise but I chose the Jazz over the better, well more to my likeing, cleans.

Though yeah, the 59' has a little more bite to it distorted wise...

matrixman_397 03-03-2005 11:31 AM

Hmm, i'm thinking of going for the Jazz. Would you recommend the Jazz as lead guitar or soloing pickup?

Left Face Down 03-03-2005 11:37 AM

[QUOTE=matrixman_397]Hmm, i'm thinking of going for the Jazz. Would you recommend the Jazz as lead guitar or soloing pickup?[/QUOTE]

It's really a good combo of both actually... It's built for Jazz style which is both.

suffster 03-03-2005 11:39 AM

if you are getting the JB pickup, i'd recommend getting the Jazz pickup to go with it. My friend explained to me because the Jazz and the JB are the same type of magnet, they will work better together

edit: wait, nevermind. the Jazz and the '59 are the same type of magnet. sorry about that. I remember now I was debating between the Jazz and the Pearly Gate pickup. sorry for the misinformation.

[url]http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/SDToneWizard/hummer.htm[/url]

if you goto that link, you can download samples of what the pickups sounds like

unclebobscircus 03-03-2005 11:45 AM

[QUOTE=suffster]if you are getting the JB pickup, i'd recommend getting the Jazz pickup to go with it. My friend explained to me because the Jazz and the JB are the same type of magnet, they will work better together

edit: wait, nevermind. the Jazz and the '59 are the same type of magnet. sorry about that. I remember now I was debating between the Jazz and the Pearly Gate pickup. sorry for the misinformation.

[url]http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/SDToneWizard/hummer.htm[/url]

if you goto that link, you can download samples of what the pickups sounds like[/QUOTE]
Type of magnet isn't really that big of a deal when it comes to matching pickups, the Duncan Custom has a ceramic magnet and it still is a great bridge-position counterpart to the Jazz.

Left Face Down 03-03-2005 11:47 AM

[QUOTE=unclebobscircus]Type of magnet isn't really that big of a deal when it comes to matching pickups, the Duncan Custom has a ceramic magnet and it still is a great bridge-position counterpart to the Jazz.[/QUOTE]

I know my Custom Custom goes great with the Jazz, it gets an almost hollow-body sound when they're playing together tapped (mid-singles tap).

matrixman_397 03-03-2005 11:48 AM

While i'm here, what is the best seymour duncan pickup for hard rock/metal. I'v heard the JB lacks low end, which is kinda putting me off that. I mainly play stuff like Foo Fighters, Incubus, Metallica.

unclebobscircus 03-03-2005 11:50 AM

[QUOTE=matrixman_397]While i'm here, what is the best seymour duncan pickup for hard rock/metal. I'v heard the JB lacks low end, which is kinda putting me off that. I mainly play stuff like Foo Fighters, Incubus, Metallica.[/QUOTE]
*plagiarized from Left Face Down's post in another thread*

Neck - Pearly Gates
Bridge - Duncan Distortion, Screamin' Demon, or Dimebucker

suffster 03-03-2005 11:51 AM

ok I must have just have misunderstood him then

sergeant thundercloud 03-03-2005 11:55 AM

The invader is pretty amazing distorted for metallica and s[COLOR=White]h[/COLOR]it like that.The cleans aren't that great though.

-=The_Dude=- 03-03-2005 12:11 PM

how does a JB in the bridge do with a clean tone?

matrixman_397 03-03-2005 12:28 PM

[QUOTE=-=The_Dude=-]how does a JB in the bridge do with a clean tone?[/QUOTE]

Not very good from what i'v heard, if you want a nice clean sound its basically '59 or Jazz in terms of Seymour Duncan from what i'v been told.

Used666 03-03-2005 12:44 PM

[QUOTE=-=The_Dude=-]how does a JB in the bridge do with a clean tone?[/QUOTE]

Have 2 guitars both with JB's in the bridge, very versatile, both clean and dirty it sounds great

matrixman_397 03-04-2005 02:46 AM

[QUOTE=Used666]Have 2 guitars both with JB's in the bridge, very versatile, both clean and dirty it sounds great[/QUOTE]

Are JB's any good for playing metal?

Matticus8706 03-04-2005 04:27 AM

[QUOTE=matrixman_397]Are JB's any good for playing metal?[/QUOTE]
definitely good for metal, oh yeah, the neck pickup, get the jazz, if you like really good cleans, you're gonna like the jazz pickup

Arise II 03-04-2005 05:39 AM

[QUOTE=unclebobscircus]*plagiarized from Left Face Down's post in another thread*

Neck - Pearly Gates
Bridge - Duncan Distortion, Screamin' Demon, or Dimebucker[/QUOTE]

NOOOOO, [I]DON'T[/I] even think about getting the Dimebucker, its one of the weakest, ****tiest excuses for a pickup on the market, and having to play with it is about as much fun as going to the dentist. Trust me, I used to have it.