Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bass Guitar (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Running two pickups through a Mixer (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546925)

TheJerkyBoys 12-27-2007 09:33 AM

Running two pickups through a Mixer

I just placed an order for a Yamaha Billy Sheehan signature bass:

[url]http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemPos=6&TempID=7&STRID=102142&Method=2&CategoryID=0&BrandID=0&PriceRangeID=0&PageNum=0&DepartmentID=0&pagesize=10&SortMethod=3&SearchPhrase=billy+sheehan&Contains=%2Abilly%2A+AND+%2Asheehan%2A&Search_Type=SEARCH&GroupCode=[/url]

I have wanted it for a long time.
I don't know what I'll do with my recently purchased Stingray.:confused:
Maybe sell it or return it if I really like the Yamaha Attitude.

Anyways, the Billy Sheehan model has two outputs, one for each pickup. The P-style pickup (the closer one to the bridge) takes care of the highs, while the Woofer at the neck takes care of the lows. The P pickup only has a volume knob, but the Woofer has a tone and a volume.

I've searched through the forum and found that someone has already asked a question about a Billy Sheehan bass. It seems that I would either have to run each pickup through an individual amp (which isn't feasible for me at the moment, but can be done if I earn money for a second amp) or run both pickups through a 4-channel mini-mixer:

[url]http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-MM141-4Channel-Mini-Mixer?sku=630433[/url]

[url]http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-PowerMIX-II-Mini-Line-Mixer?sku=180624[/url]

My question is, what mixer is better? Are there any other mixers out there that I can use? Also, does the Art mixer^^ have one output or two? Seems like it has two "arrows" painted on it!!??
Finally do you think that those mixers will perform a satisfactory job as opposed to me using 2 amps? What are your opinions on this?

I really don't have much experience with mixers, so if someone could help me out with this, I would really appreciate it.

rh15951 12-27-2007 09:37 AM

I've seen a box somewhere where you can plug the two outputs into it and it puts both signals into 1 cable. If you can't find one, it'll be dead easy to make one.

Polyamarous 12-27-2007 10:37 AM

I agree with making something yourself, either a cable or box.

Or don't use both pickups at the same time!

Polyamarous 12-27-2007 10:42 AM

[url]http://bayoucables.com/y-adaptor-p-89.html[/url]

for $10 i have a solution.

rh15951 12-27-2007 11:04 AM

That's the badger.

exit 12-27-2007 12:47 PM

Doesn't it mess up the sound a bit then? Just wondering, no experience with this at all...

TheJerkyBoys 12-27-2007 01:44 PM

[QUOTE=exit;15746446]Doesn't it mess up the sound a bit then? Just wondering, no experience with this at all...[/QUOTE]

It probably does, but I really don't have any money for the 2nd amp unless I return my Stingray, which I would hate to do.

TheJerkyBoys 12-27-2007 01:46 PM

So, can someone tell me please, will the Nady mixer work?
It should, right?
$20 is not a big deal.

Jody LeCompte 12-27-2007 01:48 PM

Didn't you just buy a stingray?

edgebass5 12-27-2007 02:07 PM

A mixer is not the ideal solution. A mixer will work best when accepting a balanced signal. Your bass will put out two unbalanced signals. The only way to make a mixer work optimally in this situation would be to have two DI boxes, one for each signal, sending a balanced signal to the mixer. In addition to the balanced/unbalanced issue, there can sometimes be an input impedance problem when running a bass directly into a mixer.

rh15951 12-27-2007 02:07 PM

Why do you need a mixer when that box will do the same thing?

TheJerkyBoys 12-27-2007 02:23 PM

[QUOTE=Jody LeCompte;15746706]....

Didn't you just buy a stingray?[/QUOTE]

Your point?

Jody LeCompte 12-27-2007 03:07 PM

You should give me a dollar.

TheJerkyBoys 12-27-2007 03:22 PM

[QUOTE=Jody LeCompte;15747007]You should give me a dollar.[/QUOTE]

I will return a Stingray if I like the Yamaha more and vice versa.

Jody LeCompte 12-27-2007 03:22 PM

I'd keep both.

Very different tone.

rh15951 12-27-2007 03:25 PM

Not everyone has enough money for both, rich boy :p

Jody LeCompte 12-27-2007 03:26 PM

He already paid for both.

Rich boy? I was just begging for a dollar on the internet...:mad:

rh15951 12-27-2007 03:27 PM

That's how u got rich, rich boy :p

TheJerkyBoys 12-27-2007 03:29 PM

[QUOTE=edgebass5;15746789]A mixer is not the ideal solution. A mixer will work best when accepting a balanced signal. Your bass will put out two unbalanced signals. The only way to make a mixer work optimally in this situation would be to have two DI boxes, one for each signal, sending a balanced signal to the mixer. In addition to the balanced/unbalanced issue, there can sometimes be an input impedance problem when running a bass directly into a mixer.[/QUOTE]

So, if I do this, I would have each of the pickups connected to individual DI boxes and then those 2 DI boxes to the mixer, and finally to the amp, right? Are there any cheap but good DI boxes you can recommend?

Do you really think it would sound like crap if I just run two pickups through the mixer and into an amp?

edgebass5 12-27-2007 03:41 PM

At this point I'm still blown away that you're even considering a mixer. A simple Y-cable (as posted above) will do the same job but without dealing with a mixer console, an additional power supply, input impedance mismatches, balanced vs. unbalanced signals, etc. etc. etc.

Just get a 1/4" Y-Cable and be done with it :thumb:

TheJerkyBoys 12-27-2007 05:38 PM

[QUOTE=edgebass5;15747251]At this point I'm still blown away that you're even considering a mixer. A simple Y-cable (as posted above) will do the same job but without dealing with a mixer console, an additional power supply, input impedance mismatches, balanced vs. unbalanced signals, etc. etc. etc.

Just get a 1/4" Y-Cable and be done with it :thumb:[/QUOTE]

Lol, why didn't you just say so?

TheJerkyBoys 12-27-2007 05:52 PM

[QUOTE=Polyamarous;15745999][url]http://bayoucables.com/y-adaptor-p-89.html[/url]

for $10 i have a solution.[/QUOTE]

One last question: on that webpage, there is the "connectors" option. Should I go with G&H nickel straights, neutrik nickel straights, neutrik black/gold straights, or G&H black/gold straights? What's the differences? Are Neutrik better than G&H?

edgebass5 12-27-2007 05:57 PM

While Bayou Cables makes an exceptional product, I would suggest just going down to your local music store and picking up a Y-Cable. It'll likely be a few bucks cheaper, you'll get it more quickly and you aren't likely to notice much difference, if any, between a decent Y-Cable and a great one.

TheJerkyBoys 12-27-2007 06:28 PM

[QUOTE=edgebass5;15748057]While Bayou Cables makes an exceptional product, I would suggest just going down to your local music store and picking up a Y-Cable. It'll likely be a few bucks cheaper, you'll get it more quickly and you aren't likely to notice much difference, if any, between a decent Y-Cable and a great one.[/QUOTE]

Hey Edge, have you ever done any business with Bayou Cables? On the website, it says that the owner makes all cables custom to order. I wonder how long it would take for me to receive that cable.

I am asking because I just called my local Guitar Center and they informed me that they don't have any Y cables (2 male, 1 female) in stock.

Jody LeCompte 12-27-2007 06:46 PM

One day Chris's rig is going to have a rack mountable coffee pot.

I can see it already.

Az_Holl 12-27-2007 07:23 PM

Yo... you guys do realise that Attitudes can be run off of one output right? They've got a push/pull switch that switches the bass from stereo to mono...

TheJerkyBoys 12-27-2007 07:34 PM

[QUOTE=Az_Holl;15748343]Yo... you guys do realise that Attitudes can be run off of one output right? They've got a push/pull switch that switches the bass from stereo to mono...[/QUOTE]

Lol, I didn't even realize that. Do you know where that switch is on the bass?

Az_Holl 12-27-2007 11:21 PM

[QUOTE=TheJerkyBoys;15748376]Lol, I didn't even realize that. Do you know where that switch is on the bass?[/QUOTE]
Actually... from the looks of the Yamaha website, the Attitude II doesnt appear to have the stereo/mono switch.

I know the first Attitude did... thats weird.

Well if thats the case, then a Y cable is your best option.

edgebass5 12-27-2007 11:45 PM

TheJerkyBoys: I've never ordered anything directly from Bayou, but I have used their stuff as part of various backlines. Its all very top-shelf. The build quality and components are all immaculate. I would definitely use them, I'm just not an advocate of spending tons of money on cables when something from another manufacturer will be good enough for less money.

Jody LeCompte: Rackmountable coffee pot... I actually don't like coffee, so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for it to happen. That said, if there was a way to hook up a rackmountable 7/11 Slurpee machine... Well... I'd be all over it!

TheJerkyBoys 12-28-2007 01:19 AM

I am about to order a Y cable. My local Guitar Center doesn't have it, the Bayou place order would take a while, so I am probably going to get it from Musiciansfriend.

Will this work?:
[url]http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Horizon-1F2M-Mono-14-Guitar-Y-Cable?sku=336201[/url]

I need to know for sure. I don't want to get a cable, then try to hook it up to both pickups, connect it to an amp and then find out it doesn't work. If someone could confirm that the above cable would work, I would appreciate it.