Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Archives (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Migration in Europe (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=470014)

deathscreamingsheep 05-22-2006 12:31 PM

Migration in Europe

This has been a hot topic in the UK and so I hear in the rest of Europe of late. With plans to bring in several more Eastern European countries into the EU, the influx of migrant workers is sure to rise by a substantial amount.

Also, certain migrant hotspots like southern spain have had all sorts of press coverage with the Spanish Police patrolling the waters to stop gangs who ship in immagrants (and also drugs and other lovely things).

So, this is just an open discussion thread for migrants coming into the EU.

Firstly what benefits do they actually recieve by coming here?
Also, should the EU in general or nations within it have a more open doors policy?

tumples 05-22-2006 12:59 PM

i think the situation may not be as bad as it seems, for britain anyway. the media is portaying a massive influx of illegals and that the people who come here kill and steal. I think that a massive percent of the migrants who come to britain are honest people looking for a job, however, I think that it should be limited. Britain is taking in a lot of immigrants, and i think that maybe we should put better criteria in like australia maybe

(wonders if i have contradicted myself)

Atomic Rain 05-22-2006 01:03 PM

frankly, they get a better life.

matt_h 05-24-2006 07:01 AM

as long as they do it legally and arent stopping us from getting jobs and arent adding too much to the population density i dont really mind. but i think that they should have something to other, there is no point allowing unemployed, unqualified people into the uk/europe if all theyre gonna do is sit on the street live off benifits or whatever

neal_672 05-24-2006 11:48 AM

[QUOTE=deathscreamingsheep]This has been a hot topic in the UK and so I hear in the rest of Europe of late. With plans to bring in several more Eastern European countries into the EU, the influx of migrant workers is sure to rise by a substantial amount.

Also, certain migrant hotspots like southern spain have had all sorts of press coverage with the Spanish Police patrolling the waters to stop gangs who ship in immagrants (and also drugs and other lovely things).

So, this is just an open discussion thread for migrants coming into the EU.

Firstly what benefits do they actually recieve by coming here?
Also, should the EU in general or nations within it have a more open doors policy?[/QUOTE]

The bonus of migrant workers is that they do jobs which many people wouldn't normally do, and for a much smaller wage.

[The Dogs album is amazing by the way (referring to your avatar) have you heard the sessions from the second album yet?]

deathscreamingsheep 05-25-2006 06:27 AM

[QUOTE=neal_672]The bonus of migrant workers is that they do jobs which many people wouldn't normally do, and for a much smaller wage.

[The Dogs album is amazing by the way (referring to your avatar) have you heard the sessions from the second album yet?][/QUOTE]

I'm listening to them now, sounds like it's gonna be good.

OT: Thing is I think that's partly our problem as a culture. There are so many lazy bums who live near me it's ridiculous. Surely if we could somehow entice them to actually do some work we wouldn't need to keep expanding the population?

Jude 05-25-2006 06:53 AM

I still can't figure out why everyone in every first-world country is so scared/pissed about immigrants. Its like their countries weren't created largely with the help of immigrants :confused:

deathscreamingsheep 05-25-2006 07:10 AM

[QUOTE=Jude]I still can't figure out why everyone in every first-world country is so scared/pissed about immigrants. Its like their countries weren't created largely with the help of immigrants :confused:[/QUOTE]

Because every British white guy secretly wants the empire back?

I'm not scared about immagrants coming, my point is that we can't really afford to support them on our benefits system so if they're going to come in they should come legally and be prepared to work (most legal immagrants are).

nowhesingsnowhesobs 05-25-2006 07:15 AM

Perhaps they see drawbacks to immigration. Perhaps.

And, I don't think its particularly accurate, or relevant, to note the their countries were 'largely created by the help of immigrants'.

Atomic Rain 05-25-2006 08:42 AM

Britian, much as I hate to say it, is kinda a lot more full than most other countries...

There is not really much room for houses unless we want to become like the capital planet in asimov's foundation being a completely concrete country and having to rely on foreign imports for 100% of our food and stuff

The benefits system has enough trouble supporting the people that're already here without more people drawing on it

I sometimes wonder if americans are justified in complaining when they have a laughably small population density and private healthcare and stuff like that

Jude 05-25-2006 10:58 AM

[QUOTE=deathscreamingsheep]Because every British white guy secretly wants the empire back?

I'm not scared about immagrants coming, my point is that we can't really afford to support them on our benefits system so if they're going to come in they should come legally and be prepared to work (most legal immagrants are).[/QUOTE]
And illegals....why do you think they coem?

deathscreamingsheep 05-25-2006 11:58 AM

[quote]although the media has recently been blowing problems that do exist out of all proportion.[/quote]

Well they're bound to aren't they after the Charles Clarke thing.

Smokey D 05-30-2006 06:55 AM

Intra European migration is a good thing, though it will inevitably result in some short term pain. In fact, economically speaking, most migration is good if we get over people's assumed right to jobs when other people are just as willing and deserving of the same thing, but willing to do it for less and who speak another language.

+3kk! 05-30-2006 07:11 AM

i dont mind to migrate to UK and other europen countries...heck i dont mind going to canada, jap and aussie (which i am planning)...

reasons?

simple pay is better, you work less, some industries people treat you better, the culture is better......

it might not seem right for a start but after a while you get multiple perks that mainly goes with the cultural background each race.

Atomic Rain 05-31-2006 01:54 AM

Having spent the last 4 days in Austria, I observe the following.

In Austria, people migrate in, mostly from Eastern Europe, to work. There is plenty of work to be done (plenty of people in Autria like to build their own houses, and many like ot add extra storeys) and so turks, poles, and other eastern europeans go to work. The money is nearly always sent back to their families. My Uncle (who lives there) told me one story of a guy working on his roof falling off and hurting himself, and his colleagues driving him all the way back to romania to get healthcare.

the UK is isolated from europe by the channel. so people that come to work here can't just go back cheaply. In addition, there really aren't THAT many jobs in the UK; there are already something like 63mil people here already.

Smokey D 06-03-2006 03:59 AM

Um, lots of people can mean lots of jobs. At the moment, Britain is amongst the most favourable economic climates in Europe.