Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drums & Percussion (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Boogie Woodie custom drums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601547)

tard 03-02-2012 06:14 PM

Boogie Woodie custom drums

Boogie Woodie custom drums in Ludington, MI just released their line of drums. Basically a reincarnation of the radial pros which ceased production in 2002.
For more info : http://www.facebook.com/BoogieWoodie

Walnut snare thick shelled
[IMG]http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/424981_378822272145214_378815632145878_1321168_1439403262_n.jpg[/IMG]

Maple snare thick shell
[IMG]http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/423026_378829872144454_378815632145878_1321182_1628614949_n.jpg[/IMG]

Maple snare thin shell, toms and kicks will be similar in design
[IMG]http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/422109_378829825477792_378815632145878_1321180_1148240982_n.jpg[/IMG]

Sponer 03-04-2012 09:50 AM

Cool.

...but couldn't they think of a better name?

tard 03-04-2012 11:58 AM

What like porkpie, phattie, treehouse, dynamicx, sixgun, shine, bone, bowie, guerilla, billyblast, rocksteady etc etc or the endless 3 letter brands ending in drumworks, who knows but at least with this name you can boogie with a woodie or get a woodie playing a boogie...lol

spirit 03-04-2012 02:05 PM

wasn't really aware of radial pros until someone posted their kit in here a few days ago.

they look ugly as sin to me, but that could be unfamiliarity. these drums do look well made though. i may not like the look, but that isn't to say they're bad.

are there any advantages to this construction method?

tard 03-04-2012 03:36 PM

The radial bridge takes all the strain of the head and allows the shell to resonate freely giving a big warm full resonant tone without metal lugs and or holes coloring or distorting the sound and also removes a lot unwanted odd harmonic overtones caused by the manufacturing inconsistencies between all the lugs on conventional drums. Plus the bridge also allows the use of a much thinner shell than if you were going to mount anything to it and the bearing edge is machined into the segmented bridges reducing the chances of becoming out of round and the 1 3/4" thick segmented snares have a rimshot that will take your head off and have been referred to as gunshots instead of rim shots.

Design video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufPf2XgPoWw

Here are some you tube videos of Don Brewer, Bobby Rock and Alex VanHalen playing Peavey radials.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO3tuUV6yp4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUDrqUP85ZQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV4V46r_fUc

Video of the new Guru prototypes that are a very similar design.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-CMAEiJ_os

Here are a couple vids of Aquarian owner Roy Burns as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u0aKehdZeg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot31HbyOlWE

Pic of Aquarian endorsee Jason "Sulli" Sullivan proud owner of one of Bobby Rocks old kits.
http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/artists/jason-sullivan

spirit 03-04-2012 05:38 PM

jesus christ

i said 'are there any advantages to the construction'

not 'please repost the pictures from the thread i just told you i saw'

tard 03-04-2012 06:18 PM

[QUOTE=spirit;18814815]jesus christ

not 'please repost the pictures from the thread i just told you i saw'[/QUOTE]

HF sorry, I will delete them then, I didnt know the ones you saw were of my kit, you didnt say that. Why does everyone snap and freakout over such trivial stuff on this site. I seem to get more grief here than all the other forums put together.

spirit 03-04-2012 11:00 PM

mostly, because the vast majority of us are arseholes.

we are the 99%, and we're cunts.

oh, and do you [i]see[/i] any other radials round here? or, for that matter, anywhere?

tard 03-05-2012 08:32 AM

[QUOTE=spirit;18815071]mostly, because the vast majority of us are arseholes.

we are the 99%, and we're cunts.

oh, and do you [i]see[/i] any other radials round here? or, for that matter, anywhere?[/QUOTE]

Not sure about here (there probably is but hiding if fear of persecution) but there are several radial pro owners on drummerworld.com, a few more on the sabian forum, Roy Burns owner of Aquarian drum heads still owns a set as well as Alex VanHalen (has an original set of rbs1's in his home studio and wont sell), Bobby Rock, Ted Parsons from Godflesh and Jason Sullivan from 7th rise still play theirs even after the endorsements have been gone for more than 10 years. There is an owners club on moonfruit.com, 2 goups on facebook and another on myspace. Now there are 5 companies, 3 custom and 2 of the big names, either making them or getting ready to release them again so there must be something to the design. So why all the hate, drums are drums, why do drummers with entry level kits get more respect than owners pro level radials. Even owners of trixton, north and staccato dont get the crap radial owners do, why, just because they dont have lugs? In the beginning drums didnt have lugs and more and more companies are now trying to build designs without conventional lugs like Sleishman free floating drums and Pearl free floating snares (which BTW use a radial bridge type design on one end).

spirit 03-05-2012 09:01 AM

watching the design video.

i take issue with the implicit assertion at around 3:14 that the head touching a greater surface of the bearing edge is a bad thing. a rounded bearing edge is one of the fundamental design features of a lot of vintage drums, giving them a, for lack of a better term, rounder sound.

it could be argued that this is a technical inferiority, but since we're talking about sound here, if it sounds better to you, it doesn't matter.

around 4:30 - "machined from a solid piece of maple, [b]so[/b] the bearing edge can be cut to a sharp 45 degree angle"

yeah. way to imply the construction method is the reason you can do that. except a 45 degree bearing edge is pretty much standard. a number of companies even do 45 degree angles on both sides of the edge, so that isn't anything special.

5:30 - vibration thingys. am i supposed to take the marketing guys word that it "proves" anything? moreover, the proof is still in the pudding, not the lab. yeah, that barely makes sense.

edits will be forthcoming.

theory seems fine, but the only time they gave over to the playing the drums rather than telling me how great the drums should technically sound, they sounded distinctly average.

i should clarify - they sounded fine, good even. i wouldn't say great, and they certainly don't sound like the revolution they claim to be.

tard 03-05-2012 09:11 AM

Bearing edge profile is one of those things that can be a personal preference although many modern drum companies seem use the sharp 45 degree profile now and at the time (1994) Peavey found that for the sound they were after the sharp edge worked best with the ultra thin shells and all maple construction but with the new Woodies you can choose everything thing, the thickness of the shell, the wood used, natural, stained, oil or lacquer finish, the profile of the bearing edge, the type of hoops, throwoffs, spurs and suspension mounts used and even your choice of heads, completely 100% custom built for the end user.

The biggest thing I found with mine is that they are really easy to tune and have a wide sweet spot and using single ply heads I can get a big fat sound with great attack and loads of warm resonance with little or no odd harmonic overtones. Originally after hearing and playing them I sold my tama rockstars to buy a set that I was only gonna use at home but after having them for a while they became my go to kit for everything and eventually sold my yamaha mca and my pearl masters as I basically stopped playing them in favor of the radials. Even 12+ years after buying them they are still my main kit and still gig with them on a regular basis.

spirit 03-05-2012 09:41 AM

right, watched your other videos.

arguably the best representation of the sound is the Guru video, though it's too short, and doesn't really showcase the drums all that well. they do sound a little, if you like, purer, than drums normally do, but i've heard 'normal' drums sound just about as clean as that. moreover, that could well be as much due to the stave construction as the radial bridge construction.

as an aside, i thought the snare in the video sounded terrible. i suppose in a direct comparison between the snare and the toms in that video, radial construction wins hands down.

the other videos all have terrible sound quality. not entirely sure it's wise to try and prove a point about how good a product sounds using god-awful sound sources.

the van halen video would also kinda suggest that with the application of music, any real advantages become almost moot in the mix. perhaps, assuming i'm not getting the best impression, their resonance and tone come off best in more acoustic styles, or ones where there's more space for the percussion to breathe.

interesting stuff nonetheless. though the radials are almost 20 years old now, since i wasn't aware of them, it's nice to see another take on what a drum should be.

you'll be pleased to know i'm getting used to the look of them. still not sure i'd want any, but i may yet come around.

tard 03-05-2012 09:54 AM

Thats all that can be asked is that they get a fair shake and not be dismissed as junk or entry level just because they are different. Where would music be today if the electric guitar was dismissed just because it was different.

Also most of the videos sound better with headphones and I find most youtube sound files seem to be lacking compared to original recordings anyway and I believe if you email guru they will send you a copy of a true sample. As for Alex he always seems to have muffled or deader sounding toms than others anyway which has a tendency to cancel or choke out the advantages of the radial design but the Koa wood radial snare he is using does have a distinct sound even in that recording.

FYI from what I understand Boogie Woodie Percussion will be at the Chicago drum show for anyone that wants to check them out in person and make an informed decision based on hands on experience instead of second hand info, speculation and rumors.

Also I do admit as a radial pro owner I can be considered having a biased opinion on the design but make no mistake I spent several weeks of contemplation and many trips to the music store playing them and several other high end kits before dropping $4500 for a 6 piece shells pack back in early 2000.

billdrum 03-06-2012 05:29 PM

I know a couple of guys around here that have the radial pros and I have had the opportunity to play on them. My biggest knock on them is that they are relatively heavy. They are very resonant though, and have a big open sound in general. The look does take some getting used to. I assume Boogie Woodie purchased the rights to the design from Peavey or whoever held them since?

tard 03-06-2012 07:19 PM

Peavey only held the manufacturing rights which expired after 10 years I believe. The inventor Steven Volpp owns the patent to the original design but from what I understand they tried to get him to come on board but was not interested so they changed the way the segments are mortised together and registered the industrial design change. I had heard about these guys last fall but they did not get the legal go ahead to go public and start selling the product till March 1.

Remonative 03-07-2012 11:30 AM

[QUOTE=spirit;18815071]mostly, because the vast majority of us are arseholes.

[/QUOTE]
Well the young man talking about buying this place already has special plans for that. :thumb:

Pearl2004 04-20-2012 11:58 PM

[QUOTE=spirit;18814815]jesus christ

not 'please repost the pictures from the thread i just told you i saw'[/QUOTE]

Spirit, just wanted to say, you're an as* hole, but, you're the only one I respect on here haha, I think people respect you in the same way, you're a smart guy, but I love how tard holds his own, equal respect for both of ya!!! I mostly just wanted to bump this thread because tard name dropped a company I wanted to talk about for a sec....

Phattie, I live 20 minutes from their old shop in Johnson city tn, I toured the place after hours with their owner (at the time I lived 2 hours from the shop) but I talked to him on the phone and he waited for me, he let me try out all the gear I wanted, a couple years ago they moved to Asheville NC, I looked up the place when I visited the town yesterday, and found out the owner passed away this January, very sad, he was really in love with what he was doing.. I really hope his passion for drums live on, drum craft needs more guys like him... RIP man...

Pearl2004 04-21-2012 12:04 AM

[QUOTE=Remonative;18817689]Well the young man talking about buying this place already has special plans for that. :thumb:[/QUOTE]

Should any of us take this seriously?

Steffanwolf 04-21-2012 08:07 AM

[QUOTE=Pearl2004;18853065]Should any of us take this seriously?[/QUOTE]

The drama starts at the bottom of page 433 of the Drum Stronghold.

Basically someone who used to be a forum member *probably mattsmith?* is *supposedly* buying up old drum forum domains so as to be able to control the content more and impose some sort of law to the wild west of D&P.

In other words, getting rid of the trolls we all hold so dear (like Jos).

Remonative is either mattsmith's alternative account or some retired professor who used D&P as a case study in classes, which apparently resulted in a whole slew of academic papers based on the dysfunctional clusterfuck that is this forum.

It should be noted that Remonative refuses to link to any of these supposed studies, and as such has been more or less discredited under the "pics or it didn't happen" clause of internet law.

Pearl2004 04-21-2012 09:16 AM

That's, entertaining? Interesting?, idk, hard to find the correct adjective

Vinnie's Ice Cream 04-22-2012 10:05 AM

I checked out some of those videos. Every time I hear about "radial" style drum designs I get excited... and then I hear them. They just all sound like butt. Particularly given the price and design. You'd think maybe they sound awesome. But they don't, they actually sound bad.

Compare to the PHX's, they get blown away -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXHhnyEQqVs

My guess would be the design advantages are negated due to the substantial increase in material on the drum. They are thick, heavy and really sound like it too (not in a good way).

There are also some serious flaws in the concept. Evidenced by the fact the drums don't even sound as good as a well tuned PDP kit. Let alone high end setups.

tard 04-22-2012 10:52 AM

[QUOTE=Vinnie's Ice Cream;18853869]I checked out some of those videos. Every time I hear about "radial" style drum designs I get excited... and then I hear them. They just all sound like butt. Particularly given the price and design. You'd think maybe they sound awesome. But they don't, they actually sound bad.

Compare to the PHX's, they get blown away -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXHhnyEQqVs

My guess would be the design advantages are negated due to the substantial increase in material on the drum. They are thick, heavy and really sound like it too (not in a good way).

There are also some serious flaws in the concept. Evidenced by the fact the drums don't even sound as good as a well tuned PDP kit. Let alone high end setups.[/QUOTE]

Why are you such a troll, always looking for a fight?

And FYI they do sound awesome. Go listen to a set in person, how can you base a decision on what a drum actually sounds like compared to a drum that may or may not have been run thru a rack of effects first. I sold my Tama rockstars to by a set of radials and eventually sold my Peal masters and my Yamaha MCA because I basically stopped playing everything else due to full warm resonant sound the radials provide. BTW they are not overly heavy, yes 8" and 10" are a bit heavier due to the bridge vs the smaller shell size but because of the thin shells and lack of hardware the big toms and bass drum are about the same or even lighter than some others with regular shells. The 1.5" thick snares are heavy but so are any thick shell snares no matter who makes them. So go do some homework and find out some facts before shooting your face off making statements about something you obviously have no knowledge about considering the amount of people that agree the design does have an incredible sound including the drum makers that have copied them and the 2 big names that are soon to release a version as another option to their existing premium line of drums.

spirit 04-22-2012 11:53 AM

i wish one of these days weckl wouldn't look like such a grumpy motherfucker all the live long day.

Vinnie's Ice Cream 04-22-2012 02:51 PM

Wow tard, keep living up to your name!

You got me man! I just went right out and bought my PHX kit from that video, man what a fool... they really duped us all on those drums sounds.... cause I have never tested drums out in a store ever. All my high end kits I just buy blindly from youtube videos. Oh wait.

What 2 big drum names by the way? Don't act like you are privy to some insider information. That is clearly a flat out lie to attempt to bolster your weak position.

By the way got any videos of you playing these fantastic sounding drums?

One more quick question, if radial bridge drum designs are so great, then how come they consistently fail on the market place?

spirit 04-22-2012 03:53 PM

his providing a video would likely prove nothing. his playing is not the topic, and chances are he doesn't have the capabilities to record to a high enough standard to judge the character of the drums

to clarify, i'm not calling into question either tards playing or recording abilities, but referring to the likelihood of his having adequate recording gear at his disposal for a proper comparison. if i'm wrong, by all means post a recording

as to the market failure, people don't like change or strange things, or are attuned to what is current which has become preference

for example, the electric guitar basically hasn't changed in 60 years

tard 04-22-2012 04:16 PM

[QUOTE=Vinnie's Ice Cream;18853970]You are the one being a troll. You've already said your opinion on the subject in this thread, at length. You feel threatened by someone else's contrary opinion and even more so, find it necessary to try and invalidate it.
You're the one looking for a fight, you didn't have to respond. Let alone in such a hostile manor.

1. I have heard radial bridge drums in person. They sound like garbage.

2. Those PHX's are not being effected, they just sound THAT good. That's why I and many many others own them. Far and away more then all radial drums combined.

3. You can't argue with the market. Radial bridge drum designs have consistently FAILED. If they were really that great, then they would be selling. But they don't.

If you think they sound awesome, then enjoy! No need to be defensive about your own personal tastes... unless you need that kind of shallow validation.

WOW. This is some FUNNY stuff! You have no idea what kind of a fool you look like talking like that.

What 2 big names? Don't act like you are privy to some insider information. That is clearly a flat out lie to attempt to bolster your weak position.

You need to go do some homework, radial bridge drums have consistently failed in the market. For decades now.

You know why? Because the "amount of people" who think they sound good is tiny. Fraction of a fraction. Drums that sound great, sell great.

Hey tard, got any videos of you playing these fantastic sounding drums?[/QUOTE]

I dont feel threatened in the least. I defend them only to keep people from discouraging someone else from giving them a fair shake because of some hater that is still spreading unfounded rumors of old, and I believe you only started a confrontation on this thread because of the argument you lost telling me I have bad technique on the wooden tip thread.

1 I dont believe you ever heard a set or if you have you just want to be argumentative about it because there is no such thing as a kit using quality maple shells sounding like garbage weather it uses a bridge or lugs to support the heads.

2 Those phx clearly have effects added, even the maple custom absolutes dont sound like that without being run thru the board, eq'd and fx added.

3 They didnt fail they were selling quite well, Hartley and Steven had a disagreement about the lines and future of the line, particularly the composite bridges and the manufacturing being changed to china. Steven left and that was that. Plus if the design failed then how has Whitney survived with the internal bridge being their only drum line? Why does pearl still sell the free floating snares that use a type of radial bridge on one end.

I dont need validation, they are what they are, It just sucks that people keep circling the same BS stories that they heard from someone else, made up by whoever just because they didnt like peavey or didnt like the look. Fact is tuned up properly they sound incredible and 9 times out of 10 sound better totally natural than they do deadened up and with effects added.

For anyone that has heard and played a set you are the one looking like a fool.

Yes I am privy to some inside information. Steven Volpp the inventor is a member of the Radial owners group and has consulted with Guru and Boogie Woody on their similar designs, which by the way both have more orders booked than they can supply at the present time. I was also told by a partner of one of those companies that Steven also turned down joining both of those companies due to the fact that he was close to an agreement with 1 of 2 big name companies that both approached him to build and release the original patented design now that Peaveys manufacturing rights have run out. Rumors are one could possibly be DW as John likes inovation and even tho DW is a fairly big name can still build limited production custom products. The second is rumored to be Pearl for 2 reasons: #1 they already know Steven because Pearl has used the Acme branding company Steven now owns and works for and #2 they already have had success with the free floating line of snares which already use a radial bridge type design on one end of the shell.

Looks like I have done my homework!!!

Drums that sound GOOD at a GREAT price sell GREAT, Drums that sound GREAT at a HIGH price sell LESS. Every drum maker out there will tell you the same thing, their highest quality and highest priced kits sell the least of all the lines.

Actually yes I do have one video that someone recorded with a camcorder back in 2004 of me playing my kit to finish up a variety show at my daughter's and the rhythm guitar players daughter's school to raise money for their class trip, and unlike the link you provided they are not studio recorded with a rack full of effects added, they are 100% natural and recorded with a hand held camcorder. And before you make a smart remark about it I also added a pic from a club too just to prove I have played more than 1 gig and somewhere other than a fund raiser for my daughters class trip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PnBBOFeBrI
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/223644_10150902560460001_829835000_20184195_6599646_n.jpg

BTW you sound alot like the guy that crapped on me several years ago telling me his regular lugged Guru kit made my Radials sound like a cheap kids toy only to have Guru now build a lugless radial design claiming they are by far the best sounding drums they have built to date. lol.

tard 04-22-2012 04:28 PM

[QUOTE=Vinnie's Ice Cream;18853970]Wow tard, keep living up to your name!

You got me man! I just went right out and bought my PHX kit from that video, man what a fool... they really duped us all on those drums sounds.... cause I have never tested drums out in a store ever. All my high end kits I just buy blindly from youtube videos. Oh wait.

What 2 big drum names by the way? Don't act like you are privy to some insider information. That is clearly a flat out lie to attempt to bolster your weak position.

By the way got any videos of you playing these fantastic sounding drums?

One more quick question, if radial bridge drum designs are so great, then how come they consistently fail on the market place?[/QUOTE]

I see you edited your post trying to back pedal and not look like a total fool but I think I proved my point anyway that I have done my homework and I also dont open my mouth and spew crap without being able to back it up.

BTW why do you keep trying to state that the radial design failed when there are clearly 3 or 4 manufactures that have used and and still use a radial bridge design with success as well as a couple more recently joining the marketplace. Originally were they affordable for the majority of people buying a kit, probably not, but the only thing that failed was the partnership between Hartley Peavey and Steven Volpp not the design.

[QUOTE=spirit;18854007]his providing a video would likely prove nothing. his playing is not the topic, and chances are he doesn't have the capabilities to record to a high enough standard to judge the character of the drums

to clarify, i'm not calling into question either tards playing or recording abilities, but referring to the likelihood of his having adequate recording gear at his disposal for a proper comparison. if i'm wrong, by all means post a recording

as to the market failure, people don't like change or strange things, or are attuned to what is current which has become preference

for example, the electric guitar basically hasn't changed in 60 years[/QUOTE]

Your absolutely right Spirit, I myself had to go to the music store several time to actually believe what I was hearing, even took other musicians with me to ensure I was purchasing the best sounding kit there. I eventually bought with my ears and not with my eyes. The same thing now goes on with e kits, I have seen several drummers complain about e kits and or mesh heads and triggers on acoustic kits only to go to a concert and rave about how awesome the acoustic kit sounded but not knowing it was mesh headed with triggers and didnt even make a sound till the FOH was turned up. Haters will always hate and will always make up BS to justify why they hate even if there is no actual facts to back up their reasons.

PS as for the video, your right I dont have the equipment to do a decent video or recording. Although I consider myself a semi professional musician playing gigs for extra money as well as for the enjoyment and also knowing the likely hood of ever becoming truly professional and being able to only play music for a living being slim to none, I put any cash I could afford into my kit and live sound equipment which better served the cause at hand.

spirit 04-22-2012 04:42 PM

if i can be bothered, i'll read this later, but when i skimmed it i saw this

[quote]Those phx clearly have effects added, even the maple custom absolutes dont sound like that without being run thru the board, eq'd and fx added.[/quote]

1. no shit

2. "even"? as i understand it the phx range are the very top of what yamaha offer

cursory googling tells me i'm right

factual errors undermine your credibility

it's not an outright failure, but radial bridge designs haven't exactly made huge inroads into the drum world. i may have stopped taking an active interest a few years back, but a 20 year old variation on a fundamental aspect of how drums are made, and i hadn't even heard of the things. not exactly a signifier of successful market penetration.

tard 04-22-2012 05:07 PM

[QUOTE=spirit;18854038] "even"? as i understand it the phx range are the very top of what yamaha offer

cursory googling tells me i'm right

factual errors undermine your credibility
[/QUOTE]

Sorry, my bad, I have not followed the Yamaha lines as of late and was assuming that the MCA's were still their top shelf kit. That being said there is still no way prove that the phx kit was all natural sounding, which I highly doubt, even if there was no reverb or delay added they still would have been eq'd and made crisp and clean after running thru the board since they were individually mic'ed. It would have been easier to believe that was the natural sound if they were recorded with just overheads like the Guru's were making it impossible to tweek each individual drum to sound the best it possibly can thru the board.

PS I am not trying to make people believe that radials or lugless designed drums are the "be all" or "end all" when it comes to drums. I simply want people to understand they are not "garbage" or "entry level" like others would have you believe because of their own unfounded hate for the design just because it looks different or didnt have the right name on it.

spirit 04-22-2012 05:15 PM

pretty sure i acknowledged that with my "no shit"

to clarify - of course they've been treated, it's freaking promotional material. if they didn't make them sound as good as they could they'd be idiots. the only reasonable exception would be a video where they made a point of not treating the sound, which that isn't. it's weckl selling you drums and looking like he's trying to hold in a shit.