Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Jam Session (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Moseph's Audio Freeware: Table of Contents (MGWAFTNAF) (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521886)

JimmyRcom 08-14-2008 05:27 PM

you can lower the volume. It's a perfect sine wave so the complex timbre of recorded instruments doesn't interfere. Flash doesn't have midi support. Recording a live piano or something could cause issues with notes being slightly off tune.

Moseph 08-14-2008 09:05 PM

[quote=TheSceneNinja;16586843]Hey Moeseph, I don't suppose you could send a link to Numerikart Choralozoide?

I've been looking all over, but I can't find it anywhere.

Thanks in advance, man.[/quote]

It was entered as part of KVR's Freeware Developer challenge in 2006:

[url]http://www.kvraudio.com/developer_challenge_2006.php[/url]

You need to create a (free) account with KVR, but you should be able to download after registration is completed.

TheSceneNinja 08-15-2008 09:20 AM

Oh awesome dude, that forum looks pretty good too.

JimmyRcom 08-16-2008 08:00 PM

Alright I added guitar and piano tones.

denboy 08-17-2008 04:10 AM

Awesome. Now it's better than the one on musictheory.net

applesam161 09-03-2008 04:08 PM

Thanks for this - it'll help with getting to grips with the basics and such. =]

Seafroggys 09-26-2008 02:10 AM

Moseph, you should try out the Reaper plug-ins, since they have been released as seperate VST's. I am a fan of the EQ unit, and I use the compressor for final mixdowns, since my usual compressor, the Classic, warms things up too much at that stage.

Moseph 09-26-2008 06:34 AM

[quote=Seafroggys;16717631]Moseph, you should try out the Reaper plug-ins, since they have been released as seperate VST's. I am a fan of the EQ unit, and I use the compressor for final mixdowns, since my usual compressor, the Classic, warms things up too much at that stage.[/quote]

I've used them. I don't know that they were out when I wrote all these threads (if so, I certainly hadn't used them very much or I probably would've written about them). I don't like them quite as much as other alternatives for most uses, with the exception of ReaFIR, which I love for advanced noise filtering (tape hiss in particular goes away quite nicely).

I've been hoping to put together something for some other software that's popped up in the past year or so, but I've been really busy lately and haven't had a whole lot of time to put things through the ringer.

808 10-03-2008 04:58 PM

Guys, I need something like Ableton only less complicated.

cadencethefire 10-03-2008 05:00 PM

um...

Moseph 10-03-2008 08:26 PM

[quote=808;16739638]Guys, I need something like Ableton only less complicated.[/quote]

Try VSTHost. There's a minor learning curve (though I believe you now get a pretty decent manual), but you can get similar types of results with it assuming you know of a few good VSTi's.

**EDIT**

Also something I just thought about are any number of freeware trackers available, though they're [I]much[/I] less intuitive than most.

Frieve Music Studio Producer (I think that's the free one) also has a pretty good feature set for free that might be good with live performance and composing in real-time.

Aaron 10-12-2008 12:13 AM

Have the fun is learning to use things, 808.

Seafroggys 11-08-2008 02:40 AM

I just found out that Wave Arts has free downloads for some of the older versions of their plug-ins. I haven't checked them out yet. For windows they have a multi-band compressor and a Limiter that seems rather useful (I use the Classic Master Limiter, which only has threshold control, it automatically sets max volume to -.02. This plug has threshold, max volume, AND dithering controls, which is nice, as well as some release options).

denboy 11-08-2008 05:56 AM

Link?

Seafroggys 11-08-2008 12:16 PM

Er, google Wave Arts and hit their download page?

cadencethefire 11-14-2008 11:24 AM

[url]http://wavearts.com/downloads/[/url]

edit:

seafroggys, i like wavearts too :)

Seafroggys 11-14-2008 04:22 PM

Yeah I'm really liking their FinalPlug. And its funny, this is an ancient version from like 2002! Works great though, more versatile than the Classic Limiter and I think it sounds a tiny bit better as well. The Dithering is the best part though.

Haven't used the Multi-band compressor, mainly because I don't use them.

cadencethefire 11-19-2008 11:43 AM

awesome, i haven't used it yet but now i'm excited to. i don't know too much about multiband compressors yet so i wouldn't know if i like or dislike them..

Seafroggys 12-09-2008 01:29 AM

Okay, I lied, I guess the FinalPlug was a 30 day demo, despite the fact that its an ancient version and I swear it said it was freeware on their website. Now its back to Classic Limiter......oh well.

Anyway, the new Electric-Q version seems to work on my computer now, and its freaking rad! Beats the ReaEQ, especially on high shelf which I use for my cymbals.

denboy 12-09-2008 07:14 AM

[QUOTE=Seafroggys;16934630]Okay, I lied, I guess the FinalPlug was a 30 day demo, despite the fact that its an ancient version and I swear it said it was freeware on their website. Now its back to Classic Limiter......oh well.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty lame, the site definitely said it was free

Seafroggys 01-13-2009 02:44 AM

[url]http://www.meldaproduction.com/freevstplugins/mcompressor.php[/url]

A set of free plug-ins. I have only tried the MCompressor, but it looks to be a killer contender for the Classic Compressor. I prefer Classic's ease of use, and I like the 'warmth' it adds, but I needed something more transparent for a rhythm guitar track I was mixing, and MCompressor seems to handle that well.

heylelshalem 03-08-2009 05:15 AM

i LOVE reaper. ever since i've been introduced to it i am a devote reaper fan. I use hydrogen a lot too. its really good software.

denboy 03-08-2009 12:08 PM

Reaper is really quite good.. Especially considering the price ;)

Moseph 03-08-2009 08:35 PM

[quote=Knifeboy;17108120]Reaper is really quite good.. [B]Especially considering the price[/B] ;)[/quote]

Disagreed. Remember that you need to consider what Reaper is actually offered for. Reaper has an unenforced trial period, but you are required to purchase a license after that trial has ended. For commercial use, Reaper is $225 for a feature set that's comparable to the middle-tier DAW software packages.

Both Sonar 8 Studio and Cubase 5 Studio are only $300, Tracktion 3 Ultimate is $250. Adobe Audition 3 is relatively steep by comparison at $350, but you have to remember that Audition only comes in the "full" option. All of those have distinct advantages/disadvantages when compared to Reaper, just like any software.

Once you move away from the "big name" DAW software packages and into the lesser known ranks (where Reaper really should be considered), Reaper seems downright overpriced:

energyXT is less than $200 (after conversion from the Euro), MU.Tools 2 is less than $150 (after conversion from the Euro), n-track Studio 6 is only $64, and Bram Bos' Tunafish 2 is only $30.

Seafroggys 03-08-2009 09:42 PM

You're the only one I have ever seen that thinks Reaper is overpriced. All the forums I venture love it, especially Homerecording.com

Moseph 03-08-2009 09:51 PM

[quote=Seafroggys;17108836]You're the only one I have ever seen that thinks Reaper is overpriced. All the forums I venture love it, especially Homerecording.com[/quote]

I didn't say it's overpriced. It's a pretty fair price. But that's all. I just think there's a lot of credit given to it as "free"/"cheap" software, when in reality it's neither.

You have to remember that before version 1 it was completely free. At that point it was in position to completely corner its market (free software) because of its feature set.

Instead, it entered at a middle-tier price in a saturated market. In my opinion, it's got a pretty good feature set, but nothing that completely blows away Sonar/Cubase/eXT for most users. If it didn't have the distinction between commercial and non-commercial licenses, then maybe it'd be a different story.

Seafroggys 03-08-2009 10:49 PM

[QUOTE=Moseph;17108853]I didn't say it's overpriced.[/QUOTE]

[quote]Once you move away from the "big name" DAW software packages and into the lesser known ranks (where Reaper really should be considered), Reaper seems downright overpriced:[/quote]

;)

I'm probably gonna get Reaper. I was set on Cubase Studio but the dongle turned me off. Plus their ethics and philosophy about everything seem to be more in line with mine.

Moseph 03-08-2009 11:04 PM

[quote=Seafroggys;17108899];)[/quote]

Yeah, but note the language: "seems" doesn't equate with "is" :smash:.

What I was really getting at is that the price is not Reaper's strongest selling point. On the contrary, I'd say it's the largest off-putting aspect of Reaper.

More to the point, I don't come into your threads and make you look like a total jackass, do I? :)

denboy 03-08-2009 11:27 PM

[QUOTE=Moseph;17108706]Disagreed. Remember that you need to consider what Reaper is actually offered for.[/QUOTE]

Well i was obviously only referring to reaper 0.999 :p

Joshy 05-04-2009 06:14 PM

[QUOTE=ygokazuki;15409624]Hey, you should update this thread...REAPER's at 2.002 and kicking some serious ***. Cubase? Sonar? Pro Tools? Who needs em? :)[/QUOTE]

well REAPER is ok but if you wanna get serious about recording and even electronic music production you would wanna invest in a good pay-for package like Ableton Live or Cubase or Logic or Pro Tools or one of these such packages.

Although they aren't always cheap they sure as heck are worth it and the freeware just doesn't compare.

As much as i love freeware and use as much freeware as possible, once you wanna start getting serious with recordings and your tracks, its time to start saving up. :)