Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Guitar Equipment (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Squier Affinity Series Strat (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178273)

jonty 05-02-2004 06:13 AM

Squier Affinity Series Strat

Make- Squier

Made- Korea i think

Price- £140

Body- Alder

I got this guitar at Christmas time so i can give a review on its first 5 months.

Sound- The Neck Pickup is warm when treble is turned up to the top but without the treble sounds all muffled and too bassy. Soudns good for soloing with reverb on clean,

The middle pickup same again needs all the treble turned up and produces a nice clean sound not too good distoreted.

The bridge singlecoil is surprising good it packs quite and aggressive tone when distoreted bit too twangy in clean but its useable.

In the 2 and 4 positions the sound isnt too good doesnt really give a balanced sound but thats IMO.

Feel:

The neck on this guitar is pretty slim and has a nice feel to it easy to play chords and you can move up and down the fretboard with ease. The strings that come with it wont go too well if you take your guitar down a few steps as they start to rattle but that can be fixed easily.

Im not gonna comment on the overall action cos everyone likes theres in there own way.

For the price its better than the even lower end squers e.g. the horizen modles and the bullets and personally i think that for the money you pay you get a good guitar.

I have replaced the pickgaurd from the basic stock white one now to like a red tortoise shell one now and it looks a lot better so with a few twaks you can really imporve the overall look.

So far it hasnt faulted ive been playng acoustic for a while so i know if somethings wrong. Ive dropped it incidently a few times but it was survived and has altered its performance.

Overall then its a great entry level guitar and even if you wanna get your hands on a strat for the first time its worth a try.

And for anyone who wants to be cocky by comparing it to there gibson or PRS which costs at least 10 times as much as this then dont bother cos there in differnt leagues!!

brad_ 07-19-2004 11:24 PM

Burn it now!

flyhalf 07-20-2004 01:01 AM

good review :thumb:

i've tried epiphone SGs and i've tried Les paul copies, and i think at least, that i prefer the squier's weight, action and feel in comparisons to the other guitars.

The pickups are pretty average though, the neck is alright, the middle is good enough but the bridge is pretty terrible. If you plan on upgrading this guitar get a new neck, neck pickups and either a new bridge (floyd rose) or better tuners/tuning locks.

Paul Penney 07-20-2004 09:57 AM

Please, follow these instructions:

1) Remove the strat from your home
2) Have your home sanitized
3) Call the Squire strat emergency hotline (1-888-537-HELP)
4) Government officials will come and properly cremate the strat, and dispose of its ashes in a proper fasion, in the same place they keep nuclear waist.

Then, go buy a decent sounding and feeling guitar.

theambienttakeover 07-20-2004 11:45 AM

Squier! HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAH! Pure trash. My first new guitar was a squier when i was learning how to play when i was 12. I had it for maybe a year and then out of nowhere my pickups shorted out. I took really good care of that thing around that time too. I agree with most of what people are saying about it in here. Only buy a squier if you're just starting to play and only want to try it, you cant afford a better guitar, or you come across a Venus (an older model squier before it became fender's crap line).

Uno 07-24-2004 12:48 PM

Hey, good review. My first guitar was a Squier Strat, and i thought it was a decent first guitar for the money. I sued it for three years without having any faults. But now after buying a proper fender strat I can feel and hear the difference. It is a good guitar compared to the others in that price range, but at some point you should upgrade to another guitar.

LeeM 07-24-2004 02:16 PM

Hate to break it to you but the body isnt made from Alder, its plywood on the Affinity series.

look at all these squier haters :rolleyes:

hairball 07-25-2004 11:36 AM

i've had my one of these for 2 years andall i've had 2 do is change the strings - although it says squier on it rather than fender its a nice guitar it sounds fine in whichever pickup setting. i would have a better guitar because really nearly anythings better than it but im saving up for a gibson so what ive got does the job.

Bass+Fingers+Amp=Groove 07-27-2004 09:09 PM

^^

how about you guys STFU, ok its just a guitar dont get your panites in a twist. so what if it sucks, it has no impact on you.

heavymetalfreak6969 07-29-2004 06:10 AM

I had one and I'll tell you, I had it for only a week before i marched back into the music store and traded it for an EPIPHONE!

Left Face Down 07-29-2004 07:58 AM

[QUOTE=LeeM]Hate to break it to you but the body isnt made from Alder, its plywood on the Affinity series.

look at all these squier haters :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

WRONG! (don't you love the capitals... so powerful... :rolleyes: :lol:

The Affinity Strat itself is Alder, which is what I'm guessing he's talking about, where the Bullet is made of "Laminated Hardwood" A.K.A. Plywood.

Threadstarter:
Nice review, I feel you could have gotten a better guitar for the money BUT every one must start some where. :thumb:

Left Face Down 07-29-2004 07:58 AM

[QUOTE=Mouth-for-War]squiers are the only guitars that iv heard of that break from playing them to much... they amaze me, i didnt think guitars got any worse then regular fenders..[/QUOTE]

Also I heard one guy complaining that he ripped his trem unit off putting 13s on it, great guitars :rolleyes:

hairball 07-29-2004 09:35 AM

hang on a minute! y wud u put 13s on a strat neway??????? its not built for downtuning n heavy strings - its built 2 b easy 2 play (lyk all guitars) n for blues (although u now c them in virtually every genre of music).

jonty 07-30-2004 11:32 AM

well no one likes squiers...

id552 07-31-2004 04:11 AM

I don't like the feel of them, they are too mushy and sound bad. On the other hand, they're fine for Blues and that, just no distortion.

3momentsofglory 07-31-2004 01:13 PM

[B]Look-stop hating the squiers so much.Sure,they can be pretty crap, but i have a tom delonge squier,and ive got to say,it ROCKS!Ive had it for about 8 months now and not once has it let me down.The bridge humbucker it has, has a great sounding tone.
Thing is,at the end of the day,its a guitar.Really,the playing depends on it,not the guitar,so if it sounds pretty crap,its probably just the player.There,that should get you replying!

Left Face Down 07-31-2004 01:45 PM

[QUOTE=3momentsofglory]its a guitar.Really,the playing depends on it[/QUOTE]
If you say the playing depends on the guitar, you're wrong (of course you went against that) but are we really talking about the playing??? NO! we're talking about the sound and the feel :thumb:

Paul Penney 07-31-2004 09:56 PM

[QUOTE=3momentsofglory][B]Look-stop hating the squiers so much.Sure,they can be pretty crap, but i have a tom delonge squier,and ive got to say,it ROCKS!Ive had it for about 8 months now and not once has it let me down.The bridge humbucker it has, has a great sounding tone.
Thing is,at the end of the day,its a guitar.Really,the playing depends on it,not the guitar,so if it sounds pretty crap,its probably just the player.There,that should get you replying![/QUOTE]

Sure, trade steve vai his ibanez jem for a squire. See how his playing sounds then. Noob.

i'm_soooo_emo 08-02-2004 05:37 AM

well i'v played a really really really nice squire guitar. It aint affinity though but its still a squire. It looks a lot different to any others i'v seen and the owner says its an old squire. Did squires used to be better than they are now??

jonty 08-02-2004 03:47 PM

I played an other squier today at it felt like turd.

Affinitys are the best series.

moaner 08-04-2004 08:04 AM

I like my Squier, Its a good first guitar, I've got a fender aswell (which sounds good, i dunno what that dude up there has against them, what do you play? ie guitar)

Although the sound leaves much to be desired on squiers, the price does not, and they are good value IMHO....

anavrin 08-04-2004 12:43 PM

i knew this guy who put a fender decal on his squier and sold it to a guy at a music store that has been playing for like 40 yars and knows almost everything about strats as a fender for $300 he couldnt tell the differance, either could any of the other places he took it to

Paul Penney 08-04-2004 01:28 PM

Then the guy with 40 years experience is an idiot:

1) there is a squire logo on the headstock. Any attempt to cover this with a decal would fail, it would look fake.

2) Squires sound noticably s'hit, compared to actual fenders.

I seriously doubt your story is true. It sounds like an attempt to try and compare squires and actual fenders, and there is no comparison. Stop being such a noob.

anavrin 08-04-2004 03:46 PM

HA yeah he just put the fender decal over the squier one...of course he sanded it off and it had Fat ’50s Strat pickups so it sounded really good

Paul Penney 08-04-2004 04:08 PM

dude you would still notice. a decal would leave an outline, and I bet you would see a difference in the wood where he sanded it.

Even if this DID happen, why are you trying to make it sound like it was just a stock squire?

anavrin 08-04-2004 08:51 PM

he sanded the whole top of the headstock and put one of them decals where you use water to put it on and then put a clear coat over it you couldnt see an out line whats so hard to believe about that? and i wasnt trying to make it sound stock i said it had Fat ’50s Strat pickups

Paul Penney 08-04-2004 09:20 PM

not in your original post.

townie 08-05-2004 06:28 PM

[QUOTE=heavymetalfreak6969]I had one and I'll tell you, I had it for only a week before i marched back into the music store and traded it for an EPIPHONE![/QUOTE]

thats exactly what I would do.

LeeM 08-09-2004 07:48 AM

[QUOTE=Left Face Down]WRONG! (don't you love the capitals... so powerful... :rolleyes: :lol:

The Affinity Strat itself is Alder, which is what I'm guessing he's talking about, where the Bullet is made of "Laminated Hardwood" A.K.A. Plywood.

Threadstarter:
Nice review, I feel you could have gotten a better guitar for the money BUT every one must start some where. :thumb:[/QUOTE]

INCORRECT! i had an affinity and i done some work on it, i rerouted it for Humbuckers, i i took out the chuck nech heel, and refinished it, and i can tell you that that body was made from Plywood :rolleyes:

GibsonRocker 08-11-2004 07:23 PM

I also started out on a squier i still have it but it is covered in stickers and sits in the case in my closet. Lets just say that it is a very good guitar for beginers low quality and cheap just like the esteban guitars. lol. anyway all i have to say is play and american guitar and you will never go back to jap crap.