Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Punk (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Punk as an ideology or genre? (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=616632)

CardiganNoise 09-17-2012 09:48 AM

Punk as an ideology or genre?

Hey, seems like this forum is kinda dead so I thought I'd try and start a discussion on how you all view punk. When you think of punk, do you think of it more as a genre of music, or a way of living your life? For example (and I'm about to generalize), punk seemed at its core a vehicle for bands to get a political or social message out in a way that people might listen to. These bands lived a "punk" lifestyle, which included such cliches as touring in rented vans, playing with cheap equipment, and playing small basement and house shows. And while these aspects were more out of necessity than choice, it was still an important part of early punk identity. This is what many people consider punk. On the other hand, many people simply consider punk to be a genre, spreading the punk umbrella from bands as hardcore as Refused to bands as poppy as Green Day.

Personally, I lean toward punk as a lifestyle more than genre. If it makes sense, when I consider how a person is, I think about how punk they are, as an adjective for how they live and what morals they stick by, not whether or not they're "a" punk, as a stereotype. But what about you guys? Share your ideas and opinions. With this being the internet in mind, I hope I've provided a decent jumping-off point for semi-civil discussion.

zinc 09-17-2012 07:01 PM

punk as an ideology doesnt exist

punk as a genre exists so that people can freely spout their ideology to people who listen

but really its just a way to say everyone else sucks

RouteOne 09-17-2012 08:34 PM

People who live "punk lifestyles" are infants.

zinc 09-17-2012 09:00 PM

also, using punk as an adjective for people is the worst shame on you

CardiganNoise 09-17-2012 09:19 PM

[QUOTE=zinc;18949928]also, using punk as an adjective for people is the worst shame on you[/QUOTE]

Harsh, but fair enough. Maybe "adjective" wasn't the right word. I have an idea, in my head, of what I consider punk. I acknowledge that the term "punk" is subjective for many people, but the idea I have in my head is the one that I feel most strongly toward, and people who fall within that idea, I consider "punk." This is completely separate from whether or not I think they're a good or bad person generally.

cbmartinez 09-27-2012 03:49 PM

this thread

cbmartinez 09-27-2012 03:50 PM

10.0/10

Trebor. 09-28-2012 02:06 PM

Genre, cuz you know it's a music not a movie or something

Trebor. 09-28-2012 02:07 PM

The best way I would put it is if a dude looks like a regular dude and doesn't give a toss about politics, but listens to many punk bands then he is a punk
But a dude who wears a leather jacket, has a mohawk, spouts off things like "anarchy in the U.K." but doesn't listen to punk music is not a punk

Hep Kat 09-28-2012 07:23 PM

trebor ladies and germs

Ando! 09-28-2012 07:54 PM

The Face Of A Naysayer

BassVirtuoso 09-29-2012 04:26 AM

[QUOTE=CardiganNoise;18949931]I have an idea, in my head[/QUOTE]

Lol

Hep Kat 09-29-2012 08:51 AM

halp!!

i have a head in my idea

Hep Kat 09-29-2012 08:53 AM

also

[QUOTE=Mr. Ron;18949922]People who live "punk lifestyles" are infants.[/QUOTE]

xGooGooGaGax mthrfkr

suspect device 10-03-2012 02:03 AM

punk means thinking for yourself

after that it don't matter what music you listen to or beliefs you hold or clothes you wear.

CardiganNoise 10-08-2012 08:09 AM

[QUOTE=suspect device;18953755]punk means thinking for yourself

after that it don't matter what music you listen to or beliefs you hold or clothes you wear.[/QUOTE]

I really like this interpretation as well. When you look at it like this, other sorts of counter-culture could be considered punk, rather than punk being a counter-culture in and of itself.

kitsch 10-08-2012 11:24 AM

[QUOTE=Trebor17;18952786]The best way I would put it is if a dude looks like a regular dude and doesn't give a toss about politics, but listens to many punk bands then he is a punk
But a dude who wears a leather jacket, has a mohawk, spouts off things like "anarchy in the U.K." but doesn't listen to punk music is not a punk[/QUOTE]

This

suspect device 10-08-2012 12:50 PM

[QUOTE=CardiganNoise;18954850]I really like this interpretation as well. When you look at it like this, other sorts of counter-culture could be considered punk, rather than punk being a counter-culture in and of itself.[/QUOTE]

did you ever listen to nazi punks fuck off by the dead kennedys?

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzHLPnGuVSQ[/url]