Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drums & Percussion (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Reccomend for me some bass heads (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617486)

Steffanwolf 11-17-2012 05:44 PM

Reccomend for me some bass heads

I want to improve my bass drum sound. I've been trying out a PS3 which I'm not very happy with, before which I used an EMAD which was pretty ok. I've played around with the stock Gretsch reso head (1ply w/ Mylar dampening ring) and a fiberskyn as a reso, but again, not inspired by any of the combos.

I have an 18"x14" Gretsch mahogany kick. Looking for ideas of what you'd try on it. Goal is a versatile, punchy sound. I know I'm limited somewhat by the smaller kick size but I want to do the best I can with what I got. As such my ideal heads would dampen just enough to be able to keep the drum empty (I.e. no pillows/blankets). Also I'm leaning towards coated heads this time.

Saw a black suede ps3 at the store which piqued my interest but I decided not to impulse buy. Also thinking i should maybe go simple with a coated Emp/Amb combo... anywho, all thoughts appreciated.

Also, I've never ported, as it seems wrong on an 18". Any experience to the contrary?

Edit: I play mostly in the blues, rock realm. Some jazz, some folk. I don't use double kicks, but I do hit pretty hard.

Jeffs Carrot 11-17-2012 05:53 PM

The Powerstroke is a great bass drum head

Have you tried looser than usual tunings on it? Taking it down to just above finger tight on the batter side with a tighter resonate side would facilitate a lot of punch out of a smaller kick like that. If you like a tighter head and rebound play, you could use some very minimal muffling within the drum. A rolled up towel against the batter head to get you a lot more attack.

All of the other heads you can buy are either 1 or 2 ply with some sort of plastic ring or foam on it. If you play around with the Powerstroke you should be able to get a great sound out of it. As far as porting on an 18" I don't see any problem with that. Make a small port 4" would do just fine off center. That increases the attack and snap quite a bit!

Seafroggys 11-17-2012 06:02 PM

I have had experience with PS3 and 4's, and ambassadors. Powerstrokes are my favorite bass heads for sure.

Drum Phil 11-17-2012 06:37 PM

I use an Evans EQ3 over a coated G2. Gives me a lot of punch and not much attack on my 22". No muffling at all

Steffanwolf 11-17-2012 06:53 PM

My problem with the ps3 stems mostly from the fact that it doesn't seat well on my bass drum. The glue joint is just barely too wide (by which I mean my hoops are just barely too narrow), resulting in a gap between the collar and the bass hoop, which makes tuning a bitch (I'll get it all tuned up and then the head shifts as I play). My drum guy has the same issue, I even got a free replacement before I asked him about it, same thing. Apparently this is a problem only with the ps3.

If it's as good a head as all that, I did talk to someone who had shaved 1/16" off the inside of his batter BD hoop. I just didn't think it was worth the trouble, but maybe I was wrong?

Steffanwolf 11-17-2012 07:23 PM

Also, do you guys PS3 both sides/is there a reso version?

tard 11-17-2012 07:24 PM

I have tried many different combos over the years but I always seem to go back to the SK1 and Regulator combo, even on my Pearl Masters, Yamaha MCA and Tama Rockstars I could not find anything I liked any better.

Steffanwolf 11-17-2012 07:26 PM

I wanted to try a SK but can't source them locally..

Jeffs Carrot 11-17-2012 07:27 PM

Does your reso head seat on your drum properly? If its not fitting right you're never going to get a good sound of it

Steffanwolf 11-17-2012 08:16 PM

Reso head is fine, the fiberskyn, the EMAD and the stock head all seated fine, only the ps3 is problematic.

Jeffs Carrot 11-17-2012 08:20 PM

Maybe its just a dud head or a slightly bent rim on it.

If one side is resting higher than the other that's sign of it.

tard 11-17-2012 08:37 PM

[QUOTE=Steffanwolf;18968030]I wanted to try a SK but can't source them locally..[/QUOTE]

Long & McQuade, not sure about the store near you but Moncton and Halifax keep them in stock. I actually used to get L&M in Toronto to send them to me before they bought out the Music Stop locations.

BTW if you get one you should get the regulator front to, I know some guys that hated the SK till they mated it with a regulator then loved it. Price wise its only a couple more bucks for the pair of them compared to what most people are use to paying for just a batter.

Steffanwolf 11-17-2012 09:13 PM

[QUOTE=Jeffs Carrot;18968042]Maybe its just a dud head or a slightly bent rim on it.

If one side is resting higher than the other that's sign of it.[/QUOTE]

Nope, as stated I got a replacement, same issue.

Seafroggys 11-17-2012 09:57 PM

On my Sonors, I have PS4 on both ends, on my sparkly Pearls I have PS3 on batter and Amb on reso.

MeaninglessPhoto 11-17-2012 10:43 PM

[QUOTE=Steffanwolf;18968048]Nope, as stated I got a replacement, same issue.[/QUOTE]

Maybe a bad batch then. I've always used PS3s and never had any seating issue or bent issue with any of mine.

Vinnie's Ice Cream 11-19-2012 03:31 PM

Clear Pin or Clear Emp for me! CS Dot is funky fun too

Jeffs Carrot 11-19-2012 04:08 PM

Pinstripes a great kick head

MeaninglessPhoto 11-19-2012 05:42 PM

Never tried a Pin on my bass before. Up until recently, I was madly in love with my clear PS3 over a coated PS4. Thunderous.

Steffanwolf 11-19-2012 06:12 PM

Hmm, I hadn't considered cs dot on the bass... but I do love em! What do you reso on those Jos?

Jeffs Carrot 11-19-2012 10:38 PM

The CS dot is a classic

Think old Tony Williams tone for an idea of how they sound

Seafroggys 11-20-2012 12:12 AM

CS Dots on toms are amazing. Mine have been on for almost two years and still rock. Should probably try it for bass sometime, although they are hard to find.

Steffanwolf 11-20-2012 12:45 AM

[QUOTE=Jeffs Carrot;18968619]The CS dot is a classic

Think old Tony Williams tone for an idea of how they sound[/QUOTE]

Tony Williams liked CS dots you say? Can you confirm this?

Oh wait... [URL]http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/tonywilliamsnewyork1.html[/URL]

Yupp, I'd say he liked cs dots..

Welp, I'm thinking a CS dot it will be.

Jeffs Carrot 11-20-2012 12:49 AM

He favored them 99% of the time

Nothing else sounds like them

Steffanwolf 11-20-2012 01:15 AM

So I'm thinking about a Clear CS batter with a coated amb reso.

Also, Tony Williams, what a guy.

Jeffs Carrot 11-20-2012 01:43 AM

Can't beat that combo man

It'll sound really amazing since your drum is a bit smaller. You'll get that classic thump and tub like sound out of it with the CS on there.

Strong fundamentals on an 18"

Vinnie's Ice Cream 11-20-2012 09:10 AM

I just use a ebony or white Amb. With at least 1 port in it. Depends on the band/gig.

I like to run things wide open and then just be able to adjust dampening from inside.

Steffanwolf 11-20-2012 10:04 AM

I'll play with it a couple weeks before I port, if I port. I never have before on this kit, but ambs are cheap. Maybe I'll get a coated and a smooth white to experiment with.

Vinnie's Ice Cream 11-20-2012 09:48 PM

It's all about the sound you are going for. 100% of the gigs I play are closed mic'd, so the port is always necessary. Though I'm looking into some of the kick mic internal suspension options.

I have a 18x16 kick that is pretty fun for jazz shit, I like a coated emp and clear amb on that. With a big fluffy beater.

Jeffs Carrot 11-20-2012 10:05 PM

[url]http://vater.com/products/product.cfm?M=281[/url]

tard 11-21-2012 07:01 AM

I always use a ported head, I find its not only easier for positioning the mic but I like to be able to bury the beater sometimes and I find with a non ported head the beater will bounce.