Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Punk (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Official Powerviolence Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512407)

DaveToopes 02-05-2007 03:29 PM

[QUOTE=pixiesfanyo;14144641]Fast hardcore is ridiculously retarded.[/QUOTE]

Whyyy?

Feel The Darkness 02-05-2007 03:29 PM

[QUOTE=pixiesfanyo;14144946]Well by that nature the bands that are power violence shouldn't even be labeled as power violence. You can't have a group of bands that embody a genre but are only solely representative of it. That wouldn't make any sense. I guess this is kind of what you are saying though, correct?[/QUOTE]
pretty much. the term, "power violence", was just a joke of sorts that they had going for their bands. It doesn't represent a large mass of bands by their sound, but it still could be used in reference to those first few bands who were a part of it. So if you're discussing stuff like MITB, No Comment, Lack of Interest, etc etc, the term PV can be thrown around, as they were a part of that whole deal.

Aus Rotten 02-05-2007 03:32 PM

[QUOTE=Excursions;14144849]"Power violence is dead. Anyone claiming the 'power violence' description for their own is cancer." - Eric Wood[/QUOTE]

Disgrace to the corpse of Eric Wood.

pixiesfanyo 02-05-2007 03:33 PM

well, i still think if you're going to refer to a band like MITB as "power violence" then a band that clearly draws from MITB is acceptably "power violence".

Basically the term is just shitty.

Aus Rotten 02-05-2007 03:36 PM

I think it's just a term for bands who draw a great deal/are heavily influenced by the father-bands of powerviolence, i.e., MITB, Infest, etc. etc., the bands that have been listed 100 times over. Why can't we just accept that, and move on, hah!

whiteminority 02-05-2007 03:40 PM

[QUOTE=Feel The Darkness;14144923]The thing is, there was never really an established power violence scene, it was just a label that certain bands attached to their music as, if i recall, some sort of joke. I don't recall the actual reason for the name, but overall, it wasn't a genre, it wasn't its own scene, it was a group of hardcore bands calling themselves something else.[/QUOTE]

Would you just say most were part of the crust and/or thrash scenes? Because I know Slap-A-Ham released a bunch of bands in the PV vein of sound, enough to make a scene it would seem but I don't know enough about it to make a judgement.

Aus Rotten 02-05-2007 04:01 PM

[QUOTE=whiteminority;14145139]Would you just say most were part of the crust and/or thrash scenes? Because I know Slap-A-Ham released a bunch of bands in the PV vein of sound, enough to make a scene it would seem but I don't know enough about it to make a judgement.[/QUOTE]

I'd agree with you here, and thus disagree with Feel The Darkness. Chris Dodge's label released so many much PV vinyl. I'd definately say that PV is now a scene, because it's the new 'emo' -- it's very trendy now.

Feel The Darkness 02-05-2007 05:06 PM

Overall, PV never existed as some people think it did. It was a joke. Not a genre. Not a scene. A joke. Although, people will always disagree and still call other bands power violence for lack of a better word.

I honestly don't care as much as I seem to. I was just bored after getting off work so early, haha. In all seriousness though, quit calling stuff PV. PV-esque is acceptable, but not straight up PV.

k, thx. bye.

RetiredAt21 02-05-2007 08:01 PM

I think everyone is blowing this way out of proportion. Look how Niko tears us apart. What a dickhead.

RetiredAt21 02-05-2007 08:02 PM

[QUOTE=whiteminority;14144921]This thread can be handled by the In Grind We Crust thread guys.[/QUOTE]

Everyone seems dead set on ruining this thread, but whatev. :(

raus 02-05-2007 10:36 PM

[QUOTE=RetiredAt21;14147346]I think everyone is blowing this way out of proportion. Look how Niko tears us apart. What a dickhead.[/QUOTE]No matter how much you hate me, you all f[FONT="Verdana"]u[/FONT]cking love me.

Aus Rotten 02-06-2007 12:05 AM

[QUOTE=RetiredAt21;14147355]Everyone seems dead set on ruining this thread, but whatev. :([/QUOTE]

I don't think this thread is dead at all, hah. It's just been created today, and already has more posts than some threads have had for weeks. To get it back in the Powerviolence routine, have any of you purchased or heard of any of the newer bands coming out, or are anticipating any new releases?

For me, i've been digging XBRAINIAX A WHOLE lot lately, I highly recommend "Disgrace To The Corpse Of Eric Wood." I'm looking for this s'hit on vinyl too. And, i'm highly anticipating the Rat Byte/ANS/No Comply/Bad Eating Habits 4-way split. :thumb:

RetiredAt21 02-06-2007 06:44 AM

Can we talk about $ylvester $taline, or is someone gonna tell me they aren't f[I]u[/I]cking PV?

whiteminority 02-06-2007 07:22 AM

[QUOTE=Aus Rotten;14148987]I don't think this thread is dead at all, hah. It's just been created today, and already has more posts than some threads have had for weeks. To get it back in the Powerviolence routine, [B][U]have any of you purchased or heard of any of the newer bands coming out, or are anticipating any new releases?[/U][/B]

For me, i've been digging XBRAINIAX A WHOLE lot lately, I highly recommend "Disgrace To The Corpse Of Eric Wood." I'm looking for this s'hit on vinyl too. And, i'm highly anticipating the Rat Byte/ANS/No Comply/Bad Eating Habits 4-way split. :thumb:[/QUOTE]

There is a local band from my area that I would make a guess as to say is in the PV sound, if you want to check them out, go to the Dick Drunk It Is thread in H/E I upped their cd split with another local band. They're called Sweat the Magic, and are tracks 7-14 on the cd if you check it out.

RetiredAt21 02-06-2007 07:52 AM

I've been listening to Lack Of Interest alot lately. I really like these guys.

Aus Rotten 02-06-2007 05:22 PM

[QUOTE=RetiredAt21] Can we talk about $ylvester $taline, or is someone gonna tell me they aren't ****ing PV?[/QUOTE]

:lol: No sir, they are definately a powerviolence band. Have you heard any news of their European Tour? Or heard their newest LP "Gonna Spread Hard Drugs To Your Stupid Kids From The Royalties Of This CD" ?

As for Lack Of Interest, i've got their split 7" with Spazz. F'ucking brutal. I think it's their best stuff that they're released, i.e., "Rotgut" "Mislead And Deranged" and "Family Massacre." I've recently found their S/T LP for 5 bucks, picked it up, and wasn't too into it. It's the same sound as their Spazz split, but, the tracks just weren't as short/fast/and heavy hitting as their Spazz split. Oh, and Lack Of Interest I heard was recently touring again, since their singer (forgot his name...:upset:) just recently came back from Iraq. I don't know the validity of that, it's only what I heard from one of my friends while discussing Lack of Interest.

[QUOTE=whiteminority]There is a local band from my area that I would make a guess as to say is in the PV sound, if you want to check them out, go to the Dick Drunk It Is thread in H/E I upped their cd split with another local band. They're called Sweat the Magic, and are tracks 7-14 on the cd if you check it out.[/QUOTE]

Will check them out in a sec and post what I think, i'm about to head out to run some errands, but, i'll tell you what I think. :thumb:

RetiredAt21 02-06-2007 08:04 PM

Gonna Spread Hard Drugs To Your Stupid Kids From The Royalties Of This CD is an awesome album. Great band, I love them.

I would love to see Lack Of Interest live.

Aus Rotten 02-07-2007 11:21 AM

Have you heard their split with Spazz?

Times Ten 02-07-2007 08:04 PM

[QUOTE=Aus Rotten;14148987]I don't think this thread is dead at all, hah. It's just been created today, and already has more posts than some threads have had for weeks. To get it back in the Powerviolence routine, have any of you purchased or heard of any of the newer bands coming out, or are anticipating any new releases?

For me, i've been digging XBRAINIAX A WHOLE lot lately, I highly recommend "Disgrace To The Corpse Of Eric Wood." I'm looking for this s'hit on vinyl too. And, i'm highly anticipating the Rat Byte/ANS/No Comply/Bad Eating Habits 4-way split. :thumb:[/QUOTE]
xBrainiax is nuts. One of the fastest bands I have ever heard.

RetiredAt21 02-07-2007 08:21 PM

[QUOTE=Aus Rotten;14158304]Have you heard their split with Spazz?[/QUOTE]

No I haven't. It's good I suppose?

DaveToopes 02-07-2007 08:27 PM

I reckon it is 'cause Spazz rules.

RetiredAt21 02-07-2007 08:42 PM

The only thing I don't like about Spazz is the one guy's voice.

Aus Rotten 02-07-2007 09:09 PM

[QUOTE=RetiredAt21;14161798]The only thing I don't like about Spazz is the one guy's voice.[/QUOTE]

Sheesh! No way! The vocal combination, the lyrics, the jams/blast beat, f'ucking br00t4l! Spazz does indeed 'rule' hard. I reckon you check out XBRAINIAX, since you seem to like some PV, RetiredAt21.

RetiredAt21 02-08-2007 07:07 AM

Holy sh[I]i[/I]t, XBRAINIAX rules. Can't believe I didn't know about this band sooner. Thanks. :thumb:

Aus Rotten 02-08-2007 12:40 PM

XBRAINIAX - Disgrace To The Corpse Of Eric Wood

--Get it now off SLSK. Been listening to this 31-song 7" for the past couple weeks on repeat. It's out of control man. :thumb:

RetiredAt21 02-08-2007 01:29 PM

XBRAINIAX is one of my new favorite bands.

whiteminority 02-08-2007 02:40 PM

[QUOTE=RetiredAt21;14161798]The only thing I don't like about Spazz is the one guy's voice.[/QUOTE]

The one that sounds like an angry hick at points?

If so I used to dislike that but I have grown to love it.

RetiredAt21 02-08-2007 02:45 PM

[QUOTE=whiteminority;14164993]The one that sounds like an angry hick at points?

If so I used to dislike that but I have grown to love it.[/QUOTE]

YES! Perfect way to describe it. lol

DaveToopes 02-08-2007 02:58 PM

I like Spazz's vocals.

RetiredAt21 02-08-2007 03:18 PM

I like the one guy's voice, but not the crazy hick guy's voice.