Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Rock & Metal (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Protest The Hero (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449196)

caterpillar 03-05-2006 02:11 AM

Protest The Hero

... your thoughts?

BigTrav415 03-05-2006 02:21 AM

I have absolutely no idea what the hell you are talking about.

picsplzthxbai

Moses 03-05-2006 02:30 AM

Ugh, atleast give a link.

Anyway the band has lots of potential. I can't listen to them for long periods of time though.

Reywas 03-05-2006 04:22 AM

great band, need to use more keyboards though

Mambuto_O'Mally 03-20-2006 10:52 PM

Good band, but the vocals on "These Colours Do Not Run Together" Other than that a really good band.

Erotomania 03-20-2006 11:17 PM

love them!

GuitarGuy77 04-25-2006 07:41 PM

[QUOTE=Mambuto_O'Mally]Good band, but the vocals on "These Colours Do Not Run Together" Other than that a really good band.[/QUOTE]

Man, check out their new stuff. The vocals have improved drastically. In fact, when I first heard these colours don't run, I thought it was another band doing a ****ty job of trying to sound like Protest.

Krazy Bass 04-25-2006 09:24 PM

ridiculously amazing. can't even be described, just go listen if you haven't heard them:

[url]http://www.myspace.com/protestthehero[/url]

gillygan 04-25-2006 09:55 PM

[QUOTE=Moses]Ugh, atleast give a link.

Anyway the band has lots of potential. I can't listen to them for long periods of time though.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100 percent.

Mambuto_O'Mally 04-25-2006 09:57 PM

Amazing band. Kezia is amazing and I couldn't stop listening to it for about 2 months straight. Godd to see this thread trying to start up again. :thumb:

GuitarGuy77 04-25-2006 11:47 PM

The only confusion I have is the label that most people place on this band: Hardcore. I really don't see that as being accurate, although it may be because I have a skewed definition of hardcore. One thing I know for sure is that if there are other bands out there that do sound like PTH, then I want to hear them.

gmoneyguy 04-26-2006 12:36 AM

They aren't hardcore... but this is just form listening to one song. Some one should upload their LP to the Daily Upload.

Krazy Bass 04-26-2006 10:48 AM

there's a torrent of the new cd up. but it needs some seeders!
[url]http://www.demonoid.com/files/download/HTTP/329846/[/url]

i am the robots 04-26-2006 11:28 AM

[QUOTE=Diabolus in Musica]They aren't hardcore... but this is just form listening to one song. Some one should upload their LP to the Daily Upload.[/QUOTE]

They have some metalcore songs, but they aren't hardcore, true.

Crysiss 04-26-2006 01:44 PM

I thought they were pretty good for something I seen on Much Music.

evilkow 04-26-2006 09:14 PM

[QUOTE=Crysiss]I thought they were pretty good for something I seen on Much Music.[/QUOTE]
i was acutally really surprised to see them getting so much play on muchmusic. but then they are really accessable to the average listener. either way i'm really glad to see them getting so much attention, they truly deserve it.

gmoneyguy 04-26-2006 09:19 PM

Is it just me or did they just kind of come out of nowhere.

evilkow 04-26-2006 11:05 PM

they've been playing and touring for a while.
though things started to pick up for them once they signed to undergorund operations and with the release of this new cd.

the cd is the main reason though because it is just insane.

gmoneyguy 04-26-2006 11:19 PM

[QUOTE=DFelon204409]PTH is the band R&M types like to jerk off and H/E people hate. I personally dislike them a lot.[/QUOTE]
H/E?

gmoneyguy 04-26-2006 11:26 PM

[QUOTE=DFelon204409]Hardcore/Emo[/QUOTE]
Oh ok, but there is no comparison between Dragonforce and PTH.

gmoneyguy 04-26-2006 11:33 PM

[QUOTE=DFelon204409]Both are absurdly cheesy, rely on technicality as their selling point, have woefully overwrought and poorly written vocals, and don't deserve the credit given to them on sputnikmusic reviews, so I'd have to say there's a lot to compare even if the overall quality of the bands differs a lot.[/QUOTE]
Dragonforce is a power metal band. PTH is far from power metal. Power metal is infamous for the cheesy lyrics an technicality. Then again anyone can play hardcore.

gmoneyguy 04-26-2006 11:36 PM

[QUOTE=DFelon204409]but nobody can play hxc like PTH!!![/QUOTE]

True dat

[QUOTE]Different subgenre, same ethos and aesthetic.[/QUOTE]
Some would argue that PTH is barely even metal.

gmoneyguy 04-26-2006 11:42 PM

[QUOTE=DFelon204409]Some would say barely hardcore. That's not the point. They obvious take influence from metal (power, thrash, metalcore, and hair), hardcore (popcore, metalcore, and post-hardcore), and progressive. You're missing my point. Don't worry about the semantics. Just recognize that there are aesthetic similarities.[/QUOTE]
You can link anything you want together with very vague and general similarities. (which is what you did)

evilkow 04-27-2006 09:20 AM

[QUOTE=DFelon204409]Both are absurdly cheesy, rely on technicality as their selling point, have woefully overwrought and poorly written vocals, and don't deserve the credit given to them on sputnikmusic reviews, so I'd have to say there's a lot to compare even if the overall quality of the bands differs a lot.[/QUOTE]
i don't think that protest rely on their technicality at all. They write really good music which happens to be technical, sure that adds to it but it's not the main reason for listening to it.

GuitarGuy77 04-27-2006 10:05 AM

Could you please point me into the direction of some lyrics that you would view as superior?

Magicaltroll 04-27-2006 02:15 PM

[QUOTE=caterpillar]... your thoughts?[/QUOTE]
I disagree.

Nah, they're a good band.
But I don't like them that much really, they only have one album I really like, which is Kezia.

[QUOTE=DFelon204409]Circle Takes the Square, Glassjaw, Damien Rice, Bear vs. Shark, Alkaline Trio, Deltron3030, Kayo Dot, Hot Cross

That's to name a few that are leaps and bounds better.[/QUOTE]
Kayo Dot and Circle Takes The Square are amazing.

gmoneyguy 04-27-2006 02:42 PM

[QUOTE=Ben]Not really.

They are 2 different bands who do different things.

I bet you couldn't play and strucutre songs in the way PTH do, even if you don't like the music eh....

They recorded their first EP or whatever at 16 or so, that's fu[I]c[/I]king impressive if you ask me[/QUOTE]
Like I said earlier the way he link the two together, can be used to link any two bands of pretty much unrelated genres together.

temporary 04-27-2006 03:00 PM

I haven't heard a thing by these guys, but I'll be seeing them in a few days when they open for Dragonforce. I'm downloading the torrent someone posted a few pages back, I hope I like it.

gmoneyguy 04-27-2006 03:01 PM

[QUOTE=temporary]I haven't heard a thing by these guys, but I'll be seeing them in a few days when they open for Dragonforce. I'm downloading the torrent someone posted a few pages back, I hope I like it.[/QUOTE]
Haha thats seems odd that they are opening for Dragonforce.

temporary 04-27-2006 03:10 PM

[QUOTE=Diabolus in Musica]Haha thats seems odd that they are opening for Dragonforce.[/QUOTE]

Especially with all the posts about how they're nothing alike...