Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Punk (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   A Beginners Guide to Punk formation list (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614010)

whiteminority 08-21-2012 08:25 AM

A Beginners Guide to Punk formation list

Well y'all, it's 2012 and there comes a time when we need to bring about a good list to help get people involved in this ol' thang we call the Punk Forum on Sputnik Music. So what I intend on doing is producing a list of entry-level bands for the various genres we all have boners over (hardcore, grind, screamo) and ones that for whatever reason don't seem to get as much attention in here as they should (ska, oi, pop punk, post-punk, et al.)

So in keeping with the fact that most of us on here are complete and utter fucking nerds, let's get some list action going. I would really prefer if we kept things to entry-level, this should be read as readily accessible, because it's kind of off-putting for someone to try to find some ukranian emo band from 4 years ago that only put out a demo and whose name uses the cyrillic alphabet (I don't even do this shit, because oi! up the latin script punx!!!)

Here's how it will work:

1.) I'm going to list out some basic genres I can think of at the moment, and then some bands that I would consider entry-level, readily available, and easy topics of conversations for each genre.
2.) You can follow up with bands you think fit for those genres, (for your post use a simple format of something akin to [B]GENRE: BANDS[/B] with each band separated by the enter key.)
3.) Since I'm not going to list every genre in the fucked up family tree of punk rock, it would be great if you guys could help out with it. No obsessive micro-genres, i.e. nintendocore, mysterious guy hardcore, sri lankan gutter punk etc., because I'll just fucking ignore it.
4.) We'll do this for an extended amount of time, a couple/few weeks or so, and then we'll begin compiling lists since the old ones are from about 5-6 years ago and are generally dated.
5.) We can definitely discuss music in here and the qualities of inclusion of this band or that band, but let's keep this on topic. Take discussion to another thread in existence, or make a new one!

Oi! Oi! Oi! let's all get drunk.

whiteminority 08-21-2012 09:12 AM

[B]Classic Punk[/B] - these bands are considered to be the classics of the genre and you've probably read about them from some jaded asshole older than your parents as the "true punk", utter crap if you ask me but they are nevertheless very important and created great music:
Sex Pistols
The Ramones
The Dictators
The Damned
The Clash
Black Flag
The Germs
Dead Kennedys
The Misfits
Iggy Pop and the Stooges

[B]Hardcore Punk[/B] - as opposed to what is known now as simply "hardcore" hardcore punk were the parents of hardcore and are more tightly knit with the original punk scene of the 70s and early 80s than a lot of bands that are known as hardcore in 2012, you'll probably hear a lot of people refer to these guys as "the classics" of hardcore and that's not necessarily incorrect, just a sense of nostalgia based admiration for bands that introduced the word hardcore, the concept of straight edge, and the general fashion that follows to this day (band shirt, jeans/shorts, short/shaved hair):
Minor Threat
Black Flag
Bad Brains
Circle Jerks
SS Decontrol
Reagan Youth
Suicidal Tendencies
Agnostic Front (see Victim in Pain and United Blood for their hand in this era, they're still going today though in much more current context)
Die Kreuzen
Negative Approach
[B]
Grindcore[/B] - a blistering fusion of metal and hardcore, grindcore is some of the most extreme music ever created. the early bands were dirty ass punks with virulently political and anti-mainstream ideal. now-a-days most bands in this genre are more akin sonically to death metal, but more often than not still rise out of the gutters of hardcore shows and punk houses:
Napalm Death
Pig Destroyer
Assuck
Brutal Truth
Extreme Noise Terror
Agoraphobic Nosebleed
Cripple Bastards
Magrudergrind
Rotten Sound
Trap Them

[B]Hardcore[/B] - where bands separated from punk and created something new, while it's own genre, there are obvious points of reference back to punk, just the scenes have diverged in aesthetic, attitude, and sound. this is probably what that kid with the straight edge shirt and camo shorts meant when he told you about his hardcore band playing a show in a couple weeks:
Gorilla Biscuits
Youth of Today
Earth Crisis
Have Heart
Blacklisted
Foundation
Trial
Terror
Cursed
Madball

suspect device 08-21-2012 02:42 PM

should we have a ska/punk genre - because so many punks embrace great ska and mix it so well too and no one else seems to cater for it

and possibly just a ska genre - because disillusioned youth needs to be united

not sure what the opinion is around here

whiteminority 08-21-2012 02:56 PM

I think doing something like wave based ska might work, though I know except for the rude boys (which I'm pretty sure we don't have on here) most people won't see much of a difference outside of "skacore"/3rd wave stuff and everything before that. but if you want to just divide how you think is appropriate that works out just as well.

if you'd like you can do a ska education thread, i'd love to see something like that because i feel it is an overlooked and under appreciated aspect of punk in 2012.

Pete 11-01-2012 06:11 PM

im glad you even forgot to mention skatepunk

because its not like my life revolves around it or anything

Hep Kat 11-01-2012 09:48 PM

i'm in a ska band

type sigh

etom 12-08-2012 11:52 PM

"slacker shoegaze"?

LeahJ 01-03-2013 08:08 PM

Wow. Detailed.

liamjonmolloy 01-04-2013 10:44 PM

no crust?

Iluvatar 01-09-2013 09:57 AM

glad this went somewhere

Black Ink 01-09-2013 01:01 PM

[url]http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185472[/url]

Brush some dust off it, update it and move it.

Against All Authority 02-17-2013 03:59 PM

who can move that?

some good bands on there

not enough mention of [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxvHgqRZp3s[/url] though

Goncalo Crespo 02-18-2013 11:22 AM

I just wanted to say this is a great thread. I'm always looking out for new bands to hear (as I think we all do) so this will serve me greatly.

Thanks!