Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Punk (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   The Official Clash & Joe Strummer Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304613)

Coma_Girl 03-23-2005 09:22 PM

i know he puked on buddy holly's grave :p and he sold his drum on ebay 2 moths ago.

guns_of_brixton 03-23-2005 09:25 PM

Somebody told me that Topper wrote the bassline for Rock the Casbah. Does anybody know if this is true? Also, did the Clash ever play Rock the Casbah live? By that time Topper was gone, so somebody else would need to play the piano part, because we all know Terry Chimes sucks.

Coma_Girl 03-23-2005 09:27 PM

topper wrote rock the casbah, but not the lyrics.

in the video of rock the casbah, its the gay lamborghini guy playing drums, and thats why we dont see him much...it was toppers song.it sucks that the gay lamborghini guy was on the video and not topper.IT WAS HIS SONG!

CombatRock 03-23-2005 09:27 PM

topper wrote the whole song

CombatRock 03-23-2005 09:28 PM

[QUOTE=Coma_Girl]topper wrote rock the casbah, but not the lyrics.

in the video of rock the casbah, its the gay lamborghini guy playing drums, and thats why we dont see him much...it was topper song's.it sucks that the gay lamborghini guy was on the video and not topper.IT WAS HIS SONG![/QUOTE]

are you sure topper didn right the lyrics?

Coma_Girl 03-23-2005 09:30 PM

sure.maybe he helped joe a bit, but I'm pretty sure ive read somewhere that Joe wrote the lines now the king told the boogie man, you gotta let that ragga drop..because Rhodes didnt like the music.

and listen to it.it's joe's writing style.

Forest_Fire 03-23-2005 09:30 PM

I thought he wrote the whole thing too

Coma_Girl 03-23-2005 09:32 PM

maybe.you cant really trust me on that anyway.i say: let's search who wrote the lyrics and the first who find the answer will be the Joe Strummer's thread king!

guns_of_brixton 03-23-2005 09:33 PM

[QUOTE=combatrock*bass]topper wrote the whole song[/QUOTE]

Cool, I wasn't sure. I'm glad they only showed about 20 seconds of the Lamborghini Guy in Westway.

And what was the name of that one guy that was originally another guitarist in the Clash? I think it was Vince. You know, the guy that Paul said took his rehersal spot.

Rehearsal Rehearsals :lol:!

Coma_Girl 03-23-2005 09:34 PM

keith levine...or something like that

guns_of_brixton 03-23-2005 09:35 PM

Yeah, Keith Levine.

I can't stop laughing about rehearsal rehearsals :lol:.

CombatRock 03-23-2005 09:36 PM

that would be cool to go to rehersal rehersals..what part of london is it at

Forest_Fire 03-23-2005 09:38 PM

:(

/doesn't get it

guns_of_brixton 03-23-2005 09:38 PM

[QUOTE]Joe Strummer wrote the lyrics about an Arab ruler (the Shereef) who hates music, but is defied by the citizens and even his own air force. Strummer was inspired by a news report of Iranians who were flogged for owning Disco albums. (thanks, Edward Pearce - Ashford, Kent, England)
Clash Drummer Topper Headon wrote the music. Headon left the group shortly after this was released because of his heroin addiction. He was replaced by Tory Crimes, who was the original drummer for The Clash.
This was The Clash's biggest United States hit and along with "Train In Vain," one of only 2 that reached the Top 40. They had several Top 40 hits in England.
In the UK this single was backed by "Long Time Jerk." That song cannot be found anywhere else. [/QUOTE]

Here it is, folks.

Coma_Girl 03-23-2005 09:39 PM

maybe cause y english is lame, but i dont get what is so funny about rehearsal rehersals.but i know mick think it sounds liek a jewish thing

guns_of_brixton 03-23-2005 09:40 PM

[QUOTE=combatrock*bass]that would be cool to go to rehersal rehersals..what part of london is it at[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure, but I'd love to go.

And to Dustin, its where the Clash rehearsed in their early days. Mick thought it was a Jewish thing, and he was talking about it in Westway.

Coma_Girl 03-23-2005 09:41 PM

[QUOTE=guns_of_brixton]Here it is, folks.[/QUOTE]
sean!you're the king!

i told you it was joe writing style..suckers :p

guns_of_brixton 03-23-2005 09:42 PM

[QUOTE=Coma_Girl]maybe cause y english is lame, but i dont get what is so funny about rehearsal rehersals.but i know mick think it sounds liek a jewish thing[/QUOTE]

Its just kind of funny to me since I'm a Jew :amaze:.

CombatRock 03-23-2005 09:42 PM

mick is jewish...?

if were talkign about religon..was anyone in the clash chrisitan..athesit..what were there belifs?

Coma_Girl 03-23-2005 09:43 PM

i didnt know mick was a jew...are you sure?

edit: i dont why i said 'was' cause he's not dead...yet.

guns_of_brixton 03-23-2005 09:44 PM

[QUOTE=Coma_Girl]sean!you're the king!

i told you it was joe writing style..suckers :p[/QUOTE]

No you're the queen, I'm just a Clash whore :D.

But the part about Joe writing it about Iranians isn't entirely true, it had alot more to do with Bernie.

guns_of_brixton 03-23-2005 09:48 PM

Ok guys, I've got a game. Whoever can find out who Mickey Gallagher was and what he had to do with the Clash gets 10 points. Ready, go!

CombatRock 03-23-2005 09:57 PM

he helped out on some clash cds..like on sandiniasta with other instruments

White Riot! 03-23-2005 10:00 PM

he was a keyboardist they hired for the us tour

guns_of_brixton 03-23-2005 10:01 PM

[QUOTE=Coma_Girl]i didnt know mick was a jew...are you sure?

edit: i dont why i said 'was' cause he's not dead...yet.[/QUOTE]

I don't think he was, since he said he thought it was Jewish thing, so he probably wasn't a Jew.

And Travis is correct! 10 points :thumb:.

And I also read this, and its one of the saddest things I've ever read because it makes me think of Joe :upset:.

[QUOTE]Clash members Mick Jones and Joe Strummer played White Riot together for the last time in November, 2002. Jones was in the audience for one of Strummer's solo shows and came onstage to join him. Strummer usually didn't like to play this, but he turned to Jones and said, "This one's in 'A', you know it." Strummer died of a heart attack a month later.[/QUOTE]

EDIT: White Riot! is also correct.

CombatRock 03-23-2005 10:04 PM

that was a good passage sean...

none anserwed my questions though

what were the clash religous belifs

guns_of_brixton 03-23-2005 10:10 PM

Just a guess, but they were probably all born Christian, but were never very religous.

CombatRock 03-23-2005 10:13 PM

no one has offical infromation on this?

White Riot! 03-23-2005 10:14 PM

I heard Mick's song "MP FREE" from his new band carbon/silicon. it reflects Mick's view about P2P filesharing. Mick believes that people should be free to rip, mix and burn music and encourages fans to record and distribute gig recordings.

guns_of_brixton 03-23-2005 10:16 PM

I'll search for some info.

But in the meantime, I noticed that in Police and Thieves, Joe added "THey're goin' through a tight wind" which is a line from the Ramones song Blitzkreig Bop. I think it might be some sort of a tribute, because on Westway Joe was saying how much he loved the Ramones 1st album.