Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   History (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   My Solo Album...cd help (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356604)

ak3jw 06-24-2005 06:55 PM

are you going to pay royalites for your backing tracks?

edit: (assuming you didnt create them yourself)

Ŧ®ŘŊ 06-24-2005 07:00 PM

[QUOTE=Fallenvictim]Hey, if Goodcharlotte can sell one cd, this guy can sell a million[/QUOTE]

I disagree, I think his music is quite pretentious and sounds very amature.

He'll never sell 30,000 CDs.

Shazzam 06-24-2005 07:04 PM

roflcopter at this thread :lol:

Shazzam 06-24-2005 07:05 PM

[img]http://img297.echo.cx/img297/6744/roflcopter2ya.jpg[/img]

SocialIntercourse 06-24-2005 07:06 PM

[QUOTE=Ŧ®ŘŊ]I disagree, I think his music is quite pretentious and sounds very amature.

He'll never sell 30,000 CDs.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I got bored of that first track and stopped it half way. The tone you have on your guitar in the beginning is bad, and the lead isn't very... good.

I Love Fat women 06-24-2005 07:07 PM

Uhm, I just listened to "you made me cry again", and if the rest of your cd is anything like it, there's not a single chance in hell that you'll sell 30k copies. It won't happend.

Shazzam 06-24-2005 07:08 PM

Considering alot of well-known bands barely even sell 500,000 cds, how do you expect to sell 30,000?

1,000 is actually possible (maybe)

Shazzam 06-24-2005 07:08 PM

[QUOTE=Apostate]Uhm, I just listened to "you made me cry again", and if the rest of your cd is anything like it, there's not a single chance in hell that you'll sell 30k copies. It won't happend.[/QUOTE]

the truth hurts

kidthatplaysguitar91 06-24-2005 07:08 PM

no offense but your backing tracks suck, it needs more guitar, needs real music, not fricken techno over guitar

Zakka 06-24-2005 07:10 PM

The main problem isnt really the CD itself. I have a way more professional work recorded with my Ska band and never sold too much albums.

Come on, dont waste your money.

Shazzam 06-24-2005 07:11 PM

[QUOTE=Zakka]The main problem isnt really the CD itself. I have a way more professional work recorded with my Ska band and never sold too much albums.

Come on, dont waste your money.[/QUOTE]

No, we want him to.

SocialIntercourse 06-24-2005 07:12 PM

30,000 is completely unrealistic. Get like 500 maybe. You can sell them to friends and stuff. It isn't very good.

kidthatplaysguitar91 06-24-2005 07:12 PM

w/e if you wanna buy 30,000 cd's go ahead, but i suggest get some more music in there and kill the techno

kidthatplaysguitar91 06-24-2005 07:13 PM

your not gonna make $300,000.00

HereticX 06-24-2005 07:15 PM

[QUOTE=apromisingyear]True, very true.

(here comes one of my favorite words...)

HOWEVER,

I have a volunteered TEAM of people to help with the production. Basically an assembly line.

Songs burned to blank cd-r > Label burned onto top of cd > Inserts placed in cases > Cases placed back into box > Out to their destinations (in other words, in your hands)

I'll be having 10-20 people burned it onto cd 8-12 hours out of the day straight until production is done. LInserts will be printed onto professional cd quality paper and placed inside the cd by another hand full of people.

Its going to be a LOT of work but in the end of this (not counting costs + fees) i'll make $300,000. Take away the costs/fees it should be about $290,000. For those who aren't so great at math, the album is going for $10. Any other questions/comments?[/QUOTE]

Hey man, I hate to be the party pooper but the plan kinda sucks... :)

The best course of action would be to outsource all the production to a company that does CD print/sleeve printing. You will probably get a much better deal this way. At the end of the day, if the CD is not silver on the underside noone will consider it a proper album ;)

For a project of this size, you need to secure channels of distribution. Make contact with distribution companies at the countries you want to target. Turn talk into contracts and THEN estimate the projected sales for each country.

You need some sort of marketing plan. Press kits, the actual ads you will place in mags etc..This requires contacts with major magazines in each country. That is where your team of friends can help (calling mags, getting prices etc.)

Then you need to take care of the initial advertising+production capital. The advertising will very likely be more costly than the actual printing of 30K CD's. Make sure you can raise this capital +a bit more for unforseen costs.

If you used other people's stuff as samples, backing tracks, get in touch with them or their companies to get the licence to do so. If your project succeeds and they find out they will sue for all you got +any golden teeth you might have.. :D

In my opinion, It will be one hell of a task to pull this off, especially to reach 30k sales worldwide as a newcoming "nobody" (no offence here) with very little marketing planning.

I think you should rework your strategy. Financially the loss will not be that great in the event of a total flop but still, you need to maximise your chances.. :thumb:

Heh, I knew that degree would come in handy one day..! :D

clairvoyant 06-24-2005 07:16 PM

Don't do it. Big waste of money. 30,000...yea...right...

Start with 1,000...

Shazzam 06-24-2005 07:20 PM

[QUOTE=clairvoyant]Don't do it. Big waste of money. 30,000...yea...right...

Start with 1,000...[/QUOTE]

Honestly, after just listening to the song, I would highly reccomend starting off with about 10-15 cd's first.

kidthatplaysguitar91 06-24-2005 07:23 PM

hahahahahahaha

I Love Fat women 06-24-2005 07:23 PM

I just downloaded a Good Charlotte album just for comparison, it's seriously better... lightyears better.

HereticX 06-24-2005 07:26 PM

[QUOTE=HereticX]Hey man, I hate to be the party pooper but the plan kinda sucks... :)

The best course of action would be to outsource all the production to a company that does CD print/sleeve printing. You will probably get a much better deal this way. At the end of the day, if the CD is not silver on the underside noone will consider it a proper album ;)

For a project of this size, you need to secure channels of distribution. Make contact with distribution companies at the countries you want to target. Turn talk into contracts and THEN estimate the projected sales for each country.

You need some sort of marketing plan. Press kits, the actual ads you will place in mags etc..This requires contacts with major magazines in each country. That is where your team of friends can help (calling mags, getting prices etc.)

Then you need to take care of the initial advertising+production capital. The advertising will very likely be more costly than the actual printing of 30K CD's. Make sure you can raise this capital +a bit more for unforseen costs.

If you used other people's stuff as samples, backing tracks, get in touch with them or their companies to get the licence to do so. If your project succeeds and they find out they will sue for all you got +any golden teeth you might have.. :D

In my opinion, It will be one hell of a task to pull this off, especially to reach 30k sales worldwide as a newcoming "nobody" (no offence here) with very little marketing planning.

I think you should rework your strategy. Financially the loss will not be that great in the event of a total flop but still, you need to maximise your chances.. :thumb:

Heh, I knew that degree would come in handy one day..! :D[/QUOTE]

Ummm...just listened to the material...
You might wanna consider a few thousand dollars for bribes for the guys that will critique and rate it in magazines...
Forget it dude, spend the money on a good vacation with your girl... :thumb:

Hadji 06-24-2005 07:30 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The idea that you could sell 30,000 copies of a CD full of solos is just ridiculous. Are you insane? A majority of people don't want to hear some kids wanking over sh[b][i][/b][/i]itty backing tracks. I'd be suprised if you sold 100 copies.

MrConeman 06-24-2005 08:04 PM

[QUOTE=HereticX]Ummm...just listened to the material...
You might wanna consider a few thousand dollars for bribes for the guys that will critique and rate it in magazines...
Forget it dude, spend the money on a good vacation with your girl... :thumb:[/QUOTE]

:lol: :lol:

Thats one of the funniest things I've read on MX and ever

Anyone notice the main overdriven riff in you made me cry again sounds suspiciously like traci chapmans "fast car"

guitarplayer08 06-24-2005 08:09 PM

I suggest you get your songs mastered first, so it will sounds just like a commercial CD. I can tell they havent been mastered when I listened to them on my pair of Wharfedale DP8.2 Studio Monitors.

Shazzam 06-24-2005 08:09 PM

this thread delivers

Quiksilver26 06-24-2005 08:11 PM

yeah dude, i'm not criticizing your music here, i think it's alright. however it's not the type of music that would appeal to that many people, if the whole cd is like that.

EDIT: [QUOTE=Shazzam]this thread delivers[/QUOTE]
my god i love that saying lol. :lol:

HondoII 06-24-2005 08:16 PM

lol @ this thread

Diatonic Dissonance™ 06-24-2005 08:18 PM

lol@fred

Peg Dizzler 06-24-2005 08:38 PM

Yeah, I hate to say it APY, but I think you should listen to what most of the people on here have to say. You've disregarded most of their advice from what I've seen so far.

You're young and your music is, well, amateur. I'm sorry.

Start out with 100 or 500 copies of the album and see where it goes from there... definitely don't do more than 1,000. You don't want to be sitting on a pile of your own mediocre CDs when they aren't moving anywhere. Also, are these going to have artwork and whatnot? What you should do is write a little disclaimer saying anyone is free to burn the CD for their friends, that would work much better.

I'm sorry if I offended you in any way, but it's the truth.

atabner 06-24-2005 08:49 PM

Just lending weight to the arguement. I agree - the stuff you posted has definate talent, but it's nowhere near ready to hit the bigtime. There is a very small market worldwide for instrumentals.

30,000 IS too ambitious, theres no two ways about it.

In any event, what people have been suggesting is the way to do it, even if youre stuck on making 30,000. Make 500, sell them, make 2000, sell them, make 10000 etc. That removes the problem of needing much cash for the initial investment. The prices for CDRS you've been quoted above ARE good, there's no way to avoid costs like that.

gRaciouspatty 06-24-2005 09:01 PM

there has got to be some company that does this for professionals. I mean, from the looks of it, you must be professional being that you want 30,000 cds. I would keep looking around, I don't know of anything personally.