Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Music (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Jazz Trumpet Thread. (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=410595)

Prattinator999 11-05-2005 10:15 PM

Jazz Trumpet Thread.

Hey Mx.

I felt like we needed a trumpet thread, and as I am a trumpet player myself I would like to open a little compendium for all of us trumpet players.

One thing I'd like to do is (obviously) list and discuss the great trumpeters of jazz. Another thing would be to discuss technique, application of theory, personal models, etc. for fun and for reference.

I hope this goes well. :)

EDIT:

[U]List of Players (open for future editing)[/U]

Miles Davis (duh)
Dizzy Gillespie
Lee Morgan ( :) )
Arturo Sandoval
Louis Armstrong
Clifford Brown
Wynton Marsalis
Maynard Ferguson (at least for technical value; I'm not a huge fan)
Chet Baker
Roy Eldridge
Bix Biederbecke
Al Hirt
Kenny Dorham

Others can be found here: [URL="http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_jazz/best_jazztrumpet.html"]http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_jazz/best_jazztrumpet.html[/URL]

Jom 11-05-2005 10:29 PM

Wynton Marsalis, Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, and Louis Prima are my favorite jazz trumpeters. My trumpet is so beat up from the years of abuse and playing I've done on it, but it still sounds great. My embouchre is probably weak since I didn't bring it to uni with me, but hey.

Zappa 11-05-2005 10:30 PM

I too am a trumpet player. I have been studying for around 8 years now. I've only been playing jazz (and recently fairly infrequently) for the past 2 or 3. I will start the jazz trumpeter list with some obvious greats of the first several decades of jazz.

Louis Armstrong
Dizzy Gillespie
Miles Davis
Clifford Brown
Booker Little
Freddie Hubbard
Lee Morgan
Blue Mitchell
Nat Adderley (cornet)
Clark Terry
Don Cherry
Donald Byrd
Fats Navarro

EDIT: The list got started while I was typing mine. Eek.

Jom 11-05-2005 10:31 PM

[QUOTE=Zappa]EDIT: The list got started while I was typing mine. Eek.[/QUOTE]

Hey, no worries. You just added more excellent musicians that I shamefully omitted.

Prattinator999 11-05-2005 11:02 PM

I'm playing with braces right now, I'll be much better when they're off. They really impeade the ability to produce a really outstanding tone, and they really screw up range.

I have big lips, so I think I'll make up for it without braces.

My main problem is tonguing speed. My articulation sound isn't that bad, but I have a huge tongue and it's really sluggish. I guess I'll just have to practice that. I love Morgan's sound, I'd like to mix him and Davis for this upcoming jazz band season. I love Chris Botti's tone, but his music is just alright.

I have a Vincent Bach Early Elkhart Model 25 Bb, My dad has a Model 37 of the same make. I play a Curry 5c mpc.

Anyone elses specs?

Jom 11-05-2005 11:14 PM

I remember playing with braces in middle school (sup really really long time ago). It wasn't fun.

I did buy this product where you made a mold of your braces and placed that over them, and then when you played it didn't kill your lips or tounge. I went from a standard 7 up to a 3, and that really helped me out. When my braces got removed, playing with the 3 made playing extremely, extremely easy for me.

I forget what that product was called, but it wasn't that bad. Of course, the mold looked really funny, but at least it didn't bash my brackets or tear up my mouth.

Ned 11-06-2005 01:13 AM

What this forum needs is more lists.

Zappa 11-06-2005 09:15 AM

[QUOTE=Ned]What this forum needs is more lists.[/QUOTE]

Oh, for sure.

Krabsworth 11-06-2005 09:21 AM

[QUOTE=Ned]What this forum needs is more everyday users .[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree.

freakyflea 11-07-2005 11:19 AM

getting braces did me the world of good cos i stopped playin but missed music so took up the bass. i've had the braces for about 2years, any1 got any tips 4 when i get them off?, hopefully in a few weeks
thanks

Lady Lex 11-09-2005 06:53 PM

Zappa: what kind of horn (make and model etc) do you prefer to play? just curious :)

Zappa 11-09-2005 07:06 PM

I've got a Bach Stradavarius model 43. It's the only pro-level horn I've ever played.

Lady Lex 11-09-2005 07:10 PM

oooo Strads..... *sigh. I LURVE strads. :) you wouldnt have had it stripped would you have? Friend of mine had his stripped and the sound has COMPLETELY altered! *sigh.. (sorry, horn connisseur and lover here)

What year?

Zappa 11-09-2005 07:20 PM

I believe it's a 1985, with silver plating in tact.

Jom 11-09-2005 07:53 PM

[QUOTE=freakyflea]getting braces did me the world of good cos i stopped playin but missed music so took up the bass. i've had the braces for about 2years, any1 got any tips 4 when i get them off?, hopefully in a few weeks
thanks[/QUOTE]

Your embouchre will be a little off, but you'll adjust in a couple days. You'll also notice how it'll be much easier to play than when you had braces.

Lady Lex 11-09-2005 08:40 PM

[QUOTE=Zappa]I believe it's a 1985, with silver plating in tact.[/QUOTE]

btw: did you say a model 43? i cant recall what they look like.. Its a Bb though right?

do you use a strad mouthpiece too?

Flamencology 11-09-2005 11:41 PM

My favorite current trumpet player at the moment is probably Dave Douglas.

onefatjazzcat 11-10-2005 12:36 PM

man with the horn

ahhh yes... this is cool to see a mini thread on jazz trumpet, ive always thought of posting one but didnt have time.. but practicing is always better.

Ive been playing trumpet for 12 years now. A big fan of the big band era, Harry James is what got it started for me - Ciribiribin & Concerto for trumpet. Ive been playing jazz 9 years, mainly in college big bands and barely trying to fit in with small combo groups. I started playing my horn with braces and wore them for quite some time the first 7 years i remember those days. My embouchure sits a little bit off to the right. After night after night of bleeding lips i got my braces removed the peak of my trumpet career and it set me back for a couple weeks i had to adjust to the change in my lips, it was like moving out of town - almost starting from scratch. My tone was off - i had that wet "fuff" sound coming out and my range was down, i had to use a Shilke 14a4a for awhile, i personally dont like shallow mouthpieces. I also played on the bobby shew lead mouthpiece and that was a nice piece. For years ive been using the same horn a student model Bach (maybe TR300), ive recently purchased from a friend of mine a 1960s raw brass martin commitee horn, i like the way it feels and plays, a much larger horn (bore) than my other. One flaw it plays madly out of tune, im still learning how to use this one. For $100 bucks off the internet i bought a blue pocket trumpet, dont know what it is but its always a great novelty piece - it plays cherry. Enough of my poop..

Jazz is jazz, free expression - its something i dont know how to describe in words, you just have to open yours ears and appreciate. In short just have fun!!!

Prattinator999 12-22-2005 11:40 AM

Bump.

Zappa: Could you post a pic of your horn?

StrangelyBrewed13 12-22-2005 03:42 PM

[QUOTE=Prattinator999]Hey Mx.

I felt like we needed a trumpet thread, and as I am a trumpet player myself I would like to open a little compendium for all of us trumpet players.

One thing I'd like to do is (obviously) list and discuss the great trumpeters of jazz. Another thing would be to discuss technique, application of theory, personal models, etc. for fun and for reference.

I hope this goes well. :)

EDIT:

[U]List of Players (open for future editing)[/U]

Miles Davis (duh)
Dizzy Gillespie
Lee Morgan ( :) )
Arturo Sandoval
Louis Armstrong
Clifford Brown
Wynton Marsalis
[U][I][B]Maynard Ferguson (at least for technical value; I'm not a huge fan)[/B][/I][/U]Chet Baker
Roy Eldridge
Bix Biederbecke
Al Hirt
Kenny Dorham

Others can be found here: [URL="http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_jazz/best_jazztrumpet.html"]http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_jazz/best_jazztrumpet.html[/URL][/QUOTE]

His early suff was really good. So was STorm, but I concede is latter stuff is unbearable.

StrangelyBrewed13 12-22-2005 03:46 PM

[QUOTE=Prattinator999]Bump.

Zappa: Could you post a pic of your horn?[/QUOTE]

It would look like this

[url]http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.charlesfail.com/Bach_43_Trumpet_3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.charlesfail.com/Bach%2520Strad%252043%2520Trumpet.htm&h=960&w=1280&sz=207&tbnid=VwKhB8-lUX0J:&tbnh=112&tbnw=150&hl=en&start=4&prev=/images%3Fq%3DBach%2BStradivarius%2BModel%2B43%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG[/url]

I have a model 37 myself, but im looking for a Bobby Shew model. I played a 43 once it's brighter isn't it Zappa? Maybe im mistaken.

Lydisk 12-22-2005 04:47 PM

thats hot.
im gettin a student trumpet soon from a friend
its a Barrington i think...good make?

StrangelyBrewed13 12-22-2005 05:11 PM

I wouldnt know...I usually dont stray to far away from Yammahas (sp?), Bachs or Shilkes.

Manky_phish 12-22-2005 06:54 PM

Yay! Trumpet thread!

I've only been playing for about 4 years, but I've only been playing Jazz in that time. My horn's only a Yamaha stundent model, but I love it anyways. Its real old and has bugger all of the laquer still on it, which looks and sounds cool. I am saving up for a new one, though. Preferably Bach, coz every bach I've played has been really nice. Are the brace protector thingys called Morgan Bumpers? I've never had braces but my Sister has and her tone and range went down the toilet.

StrangelyBrewed13 12-22-2005 09:14 PM

[QUOTE=Manky_phish]Yay! Trumpet thread!

I've only been playing for about 4 years, but I've only been playing Jazz in that time. My horn's only a Yamaha stundent model, but I love it anyways. Its real old and has bugger all of the laquer still on it, which looks and sounds cool. I am saving up for a new one, though. Preferably Bach, coz every bach I've played has been really nice. Are the brace protector thingys called Morgan Bumpers? I've never had braces but my Sister has and her tone and range went down the toilet.[/QUOTE]

If youre saving up for a "jazz" horn get a Bobby Shew model from Yammaha. Dont get a Bach unless you play concert stuff as well like I do.

lit_girl11 12-22-2005 10:30 PM

Bill Chase Bill Chase Bill Chase!

joshmay 12-22-2005 11:04 PM

ive got a KING cornet i mess around on,,,

but i'm a string player! and finding pitches with my lips and fingers, as opposed to fretting them, is a hard transition.

not just to learn it, but then to apply that method of playing to improvisation?!? i don't think that way! ha

Manky_phish 12-23-2005 01:21 AM

[QUOTE=StrangelyBrewed13]If youre saving up for a "jazz" horn get a Bobby Shew model from Yammaha. Dont get a Bach unless you play concert stuff as well like I do.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice. Coz I've only played Yamaha horns seriously, I already trust em. I was playing a James Morrison sig. model Yamaha the other day, and it was amazing for jazz stuff, but an outrageous price (bout $3000 AUD, I think).

metBANS 12-23-2005 09:47 PM

Sean Jones. Hands down, best out there right now.

Get a Monette trumpet like Wynton. They are such amazing instruments, that I don't think they should be classified as trumpets. Wynton said himself, "I don't play trumpet anymore. I quit that **** a while ago. Now I play Monette."

As for a realistic (kinda) trumpet Yamaha Xenos (in brass) are in the top for jazz. Open up awesomely in a big band, and when miced, its beautiful. Especially if you move the mic almost into the bell, you can get tones that are similar to an alto sax. *creams self*

joshmay 12-23-2005 10:16 PM

damn, trumpet gearheads! hahahaha