Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Music (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Recommendations (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203393)

Kannon 06-23-2005 06:38 PM

Jazz Funk Project

Hey all,

I'm new and have been browsing around. Very cool forum. I played guest sax on a jazz funk project that I think is really great. Check out some of the snips.
[url]http://www.cdbaby.com/stevebutler[/url]

Libertine`88 06-28-2005 02:56 AM

This thread has kept me occupied :thumb:

LedHead712 06-29-2005 03:46 PM

What are some good New Orleans Jazz reccomendations?

Shackman 07-04-2005 12:18 PM

[B]Medeski Martin and Wood[/B]
Jazz/funk/groove/more than I can explain

Songs:
Chinoiserie
Smoke
Uninvisible
Jelly Belly
The Lover
Sugar Craft
Bubblehouse
Chubb Sub
End of the World Party

Albums:
Friday Afternoon in the Universe
Shack-man
Uninvisible
End of the World Party
Combustication
The Dropper
(they are all essential)

This band is unbeleivably amazing. Its beyond what jazz or related genre of music you've ever heard. There's no way to describe how awesome MMW are. They formed in 1991 in New York. John Medeski on keyboards/organs/pianos, Chris Wood on basses and guitars, and Billy Martin on percussion.

PrimalScream 07-05-2005 10:52 PM

John Mclaughlin:

Albums:
Friday Night in San Fransisco (w/Paco de Lucia and Al Di Meola)
Passion Grace and Fire (w/Paco de Lucia and Al Di Meola)
The Guitar Trio (w/Paco de Lucia and Al Di Meola)
Inner Mounting Flame (Mahavishnu)
Que Alegria (John Mclaughlin Trio)

PrimalScream 07-05-2005 10:54 PM

For jazz look into Miles Davis

Album- Kind of Blue

linznathanson 07-20-2005 05:30 PM

Jazz:
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue Album, or Complete Columbia Recordings 1955-1961
Charlie Parker - Birdland
Funk:
Earth Wind and Fire
Stevie Wonder
Funk Brothers (Motown/R&B/Soul)

Saxamassima3 07-20-2005 06:17 PM

[QUOTE=Kannon]Hey all,

I'm new and have been browsing around. Very cool forum. I played guest sax on a jazz funk project that I think is really great. Check out some of the snips.
[url]http://www.cdbaby.com/stevebutler[/url][/QUOTE]

reminds me of smooth jazz...

Rothmans 07-21-2005 04:12 PM

I just want to know and if there is music to be found is django reinheardt ( dont know if that is the proper spelling) worth listening to?

joeljjison 07-21-2005 04:13 PM

Some great reccomendations here. I've been signed up for a while, but havn't ever got into posting. I think now may be my time now, since I have just finished at school, and have summer ahead of me, then grades-willing its off to do a jazz degree...

Still I'm only young... reccomendation things are great.. there plenty I simply won't know...

I apologize if i repeat anything previously written, but In all honesty I didn't read through all the reccomendations.

Dave Holland Big Band - I'm very bad at knowing what class this stuff fits into it. Its a big band... its quite unique. Its a little Mingus esque. The music is very minimalist, and very layered. Holland uses instruments VERY indepedently of one another, to great effect. They're a great band.

Maceo Parker. Funk/Soul, sax player/vocalist. This guy has got the funk. Seriously. Hes aging, but he still rocks the house. He gigs constantly, and has been doing so for years. Live he is incredible. The energy is incredible. I hope I can rock like that when I'm older... (or at all beforehand!)..

For anyone in London, I think hes doing a gig at the Jazz Cafe in November. Its not cheap but its worth your while.

John Scofield - Funk. Love him or hate him. Guitarist. Very wet sound. Very interesting player.. whacky stuff.. great for analysis, and great for grooves, but its also rather immature... its got the chameleon effect on people. (At school you get millions of inept people saying they're into funk or jazz, because they can play chameleon - devoid of any groove.) He is good fun though, and interesting to listen to.

Laurent De Wilde - french keyboardist. encompasses alot... jazz/blues/house... its all got a very 'acid' take on things though. Sounds from my description like some smooth jazz nightmare, but hes really alot more. Incredible composer, uses the electronics and the acoustics to his advantage.

Brad Mehldau - pianist - jazz. Incredibly rhythmic player, very individual. My favourite pianist. Check out his takes on radiohead. Quite Jarrety

pianoplyr77 07-23-2005 11:48 AM

Could some one recommend me a good Charlie Parker album? Thanks in advance.

Saxamassima3 07-23-2005 04:31 PM

[QUOTE=pianoplyr77]Could some one recommend me a good Charlie Parker album? Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

get the parker with springs album.

pianoplyr77 07-23-2005 05:30 PM

I'm guessing you meant Parker with Strings, right?

Sorry for being picky, but I was looking for something of him in a small combo. Any other ideas?

Saxamassima3 07-23-2005 06:37 PM

[QUOTE=pianoplyr77]I'm guessing you meant Parker with Strings, right?

Sorry for being picky, but I was looking for something of him in a small combo. Any other ideas?[/QUOTE]

there are so many of those...many of which are compilations and stuff. he did a jam session album with benny carter, jimmy hodges, ben webster and some others called "charlie parker jam session". you could also get the soundtrack from the movie "bird" - that's got a lot of songs on it. "bird at the high-hat" is another good one...parker with strings is still worth getting, though :)

pianoplyr77 07-23-2005 06:38 PM

Thanks

tmb72187 07-23-2005 08:43 PM

my favorite is sonny rollins, he's under rated, better than coltrane in my opinion, his album saxophone collasus is excellent

mikep 08-05-2005 08:51 AM

New Orleans funk...

GALACTIC
Possibly the best funk act on tour today. Power house grooves led by drummer Stanton Moore who was quoted by Trey Anastasio as being "the best drummer on the planet".
Best CD out for sale would have to be the bonnaroo set from June, 05. 4 hours of some of the funkiest music i ever had the pleasure to witness, so i had to purchase it from livebonnaroo.com...Galactic invited all of their hero's out for an allstar lineup of guests included Leo N.(meters), Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Sister Teedy, Marc Mudro, to name a few....a must buy for your funk collection.
[url]http://www.galacticfunk.com[/url]

ELLIOTT COHN and the COSMIC SWEAT SOCIETY
Indie act based out of New Orleans that have started touring the nation bringing a unique blend of funk-n-roll. A typical NOLA gig features sax man Jeff Watkins(James Brown) and drummer Mean Willie Green(Neville's).
Catchy funk tunes that stick in your brain for awhile, their live show is high energy and full of improvisational moments, no noodlin just plain funky jammin, the keyboard player is incredible.
[url]http://www.cosmicsweatsociety.com[/url]

BIG SAMS FUNKY NATION
Voted the best funk act in NOLA 2004. Formerly from the Dirty Dozen, frontman Big Sammie Williams formed a collaboration of players that have been blowing away clubs over the past several years. Playing his trombone and dancing like James Brown, Big Sam could easily be mistaken for a linebacker...it's pretty amazing to watch this big man move on stage....pure energy and some of the best funk being played today...
[url]http://www.bigsamsfunkynation.com[/url]

blindjimmy 08-18-2005 06:27 PM

funkin around

why hasn't anyone mentioned
THE METERS
particularly, the albums
REJUVINATION
FIRE ON THE BAYOU
you may also enjoy the band
PAPA GROWS FUNK

for jazz, i'm nuts about
DJANGO REINHARDT
CHARLIE PARKER
DEXTER GORDON
SONNY ROLLINS
and if you like your jazz waayyyy out there
SUN RA

i hope you enjoy

blindjimmy 08-18-2005 06:31 PM

new orleans

[QUOTE=LedHead712]What are some good New Orleans Jazz reccomendations?[/QUOTE]

hi, i posted these somewhere, but from new orleans i know of
professor longhair the meters papa grows funk
iv'e played these bands music for all sorts of people, it always seems
to be well rec'd. hope you like it

blindjimmy 08-18-2005 06:42 PM

reply to dave weckl

[QUOTE=BluBreeze]As I have advocated in other threads, a must is Dave Weckl

check out:

[b]Hard Wired & Synergy[/b] who feature Dave Weckl & Jay Oliver

You'll love it :thumb:[/QUOTE]

also check out weckl's LIVE, AND VERY PLUGGED IN
i just remembered the album
BRECKER BROTHERS HEAVY METAL JAZZ
no. it's not a heavy metal album, just people playing their hearts out,
but do yourself a favor, skip track one- east river- you'll know why after you ignore this and listen to it anyway

the beach 08-19-2005 04:51 PM

I know like four people have mentioned him already but [B]JOHN SCOFIELD[/B] is just great. [B]UBERJAM[/B] is so much fun to listen too. [B]BELA FLECK AND THE FLECKTONES[/B] are good too, they're kind world/jazz but its wooten so it works. [B]LIVE ART[/B] by them made me laugh i enjoyed listening to it so much. [B]PAT METHENY[/B] with Dave Holland and Roy Haynes made an album that my girlfriend just gave me called [B]QUESTION AND ANSWER[/B]. I'm listening to it now and its just sweet jazz guitar, he's really good.

the beach 08-19-2005 07:39 PM

[QUOTE=AfroMan][SIZE=4][U][B]Jelly Roll Morton[/B][/U][/SIZE]
[B]New Orleans Jazz[/B]

[B]Songs[/B]
Mushmouth Shuffle
Strokin' Away
West End Blues
Thought I heard Buddy Bolden Say
Climax Rag 1

[B]Album[/B]
1923-1924

[B]Similar artists[/B]
Fats Waller
Art Hodes
Eubie Blake

Rarely mentioned in the forums, which is a shame as he was a true Jazz legend.

RIP Jelly Roll Morton(1890-1941)[/QUOTE]
he was a dirty guy. jelly roll is the sliding/rolling motion you get when you put a condom on.

TemperamentalGoat 09-05-2005 01:10 AM

Hey, could anyone recommend me songs that feature mostly guitar and a saxophone? Weird mix but myself and a good friend want to try something out, and we'd like a bit of direction :)

Thanks

netmach 09-05-2005 02:39 AM

[url]http://www.jazzsinger.me.uk[/url]

2 great songs from an album, Autumn Leaves:

[url]http://www.jazzsinger.me.uk/Mack-the-Knife.mp3[/url]
[url]http://www.jazzsinger.me.uk/it-had-to-be-you.mp3[/url]

Unheard of up and coming Jaz swing band

zmandan599 09-05-2005 07:23 PM

i want her soooo bad!!!

If you
REALLY LIKE
SOMEONE
right now
AND WANT THEM
and can't
get them out of your head then re-post
this titled "I want him/her" within 1
minute and whoever you are wanting will
surprise
you tomorrow.

IF YOU BREAK THIS YOU WILL HAVE
THE
WORST DAY OF YOUR LIFE
TOMORROW

superjoe 09-07-2005 04:56 PM

I know I'll probably be murdered for mentioning his name here, but Jimi Hendrix did some good jazzy stuff and funkier stuff towards the end of his career.
Third Stone from the Sun,
Rainy Day, Dream Away,
Still Raining, Still Dreaming
And his work with Buddy Miles on the Band of Gypses is pretty funky i guess.

Oh and a good jazzy blues song is Mean Old World by T Bone Walker...not straight jazz, but anyone who likes jazz guitar will apreciate this song.

ambiguouslyjay 09-10-2005 12:30 PM

man, I can't believe nobody has mentioned Soulive yet. They are by far my favorite Jazz/Funk band. I would recommend their Cd- Turn it Out, it features John Scofield and Oteil Burbridge on a few tracks

amp7325 09-16-2005 08:59 PM

[COLOR=Lime][SIZE=3]Joe Henderson[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[i]Post-Bop / Hard-Bop / Fusion[/i]

[b]Songs:[/b]
Inner Urge
Isotope
Tress-Cun-Deo-La
Me, Among Others
Recorda Me
Teeter Totter
Our Thing

[B]Album Recommendations:[/B]
Inner Urge
Multiple
Our Thing
Page One

These are four of the six albums I have of Joe, and they're absolutely incredible. Multiple is mostly Fusion, but the others are mostly hard-bop. He's one of the most incredible musicians I've ever heard, and his rhythm sections are exceptionally great. He plays with Kenny Dorham, McCoy Tyrner, and Elvin Jones on some of his albums. Truly exceptional.

Capuchin 09-20-2005 11:38 AM

Caroline's Capuchin

Hi guys,

Just thought id use this oppertunity to reccomend my band! We're a funky/slightly jazzy quartet from England. These samples our from our debut EP. Click on the link below to have a listen:

[url]http://www.carolinescapuchin.com/samples.htm[/url]

See what you think and leave your comments on our forum!

Thanks very much :)

Shadows Rise 10-02-2005 01:42 PM

My guitar teacher has gotten me interested in Chick Corea. Could someone recommend me some good songs by them? Thank you.