Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drum Lessons & Product Reviews (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   lesson: stop dog barking (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550530)

mullets suk 02-04-2008 06:22 PM

lesson: stop dog barking

Not a drum lesson, but a good lesson if you have a dog (or other animal) that barks/gets mad at your drums. For our purposes we’ll use a dog.

[SIZE="5"]Use at owners discretion, based on YOUR dogs ear sensitivity[/SIZE] the last thing i want to do is make a guide on who to make your dog deaf.

Like training all dogs one must use persistence, time and patients. It takes two people to do this, one behind the drums (persona A) and the other holding the dog by a choker leash with food in hand (person B).

First let the dog smell around your drums, if it doesn’t bark now, we are at a good place and skip you can skip this paragraph. If it does, then firmly tell it “no”, if it begins to bark just continuingly saying “no”. When the dog finally stops barking give it a treat. At this point take it away from the drums, let it do its own thing, a little while later (10- 60 min) take the dog back in to the room, if it barks repeat until it doesn’t.

At this point take the dog back about 10 feet from the drums, if it’s a dog with big ears (thus sensitive) take it farther back. Have person A gently play the bass drum, as it is of the lowest pitch. Play at a slow-medium quarter beat. Every time the dog barks person B should pull the lead and firmly tell it “no”. when the bass drum finally stops making the dog bark give it a treat, repeat as needed increasing the volume of the bass drum steadily.

Once you feel the dog is good with the bass drum add in snare, again quietly building up (both bass and snare), firmly saying no, and then giving a treat when barking stops. When you feel your dog is well, add in hi-hats and repeat. In the end add in fills and crashes,

NOTE: crashes will be the hardest to get your dog used to it, since it is the shrillest.

If you feel you need to move the dog back, and if necessary move behind a door. And move forward as needed. Every dog is different, but this is a good general guide. Repeat this process every day until your dog doesn’t bark, it may take anywhere from a day to a week, depending on the dog.

Also, make sure you do not yell at the dog, they can tell a difference between a firm no and a yelled no. the yelling will just intimidate them and it even make things worse.

-------------------------------
If you see any problems with this lesson please tell me, I thought it was a nice little thing, i don't give much to this community so thought i should give something back.

We_Love_Lime 02-10-2008 09:27 PM

awesome

crazyguy832 02-13-2008 07:17 AM

Problem!

Their ears are uber-sensitive.

Closest I'd let a dog (or, really, any animal) to a drum kit is behind a solid door.

mullets suk 02-13-2008 07:25 AM

I tried that, and for our dog (jack Russel) he continued to bark because he didn't know WHAT was making the noise. jack russels arent known to be the brightest bulbs on the chandelier, lol.

and this should be done at the owners discretion on where to place the dog. the guide is for general use only.

joe_04_04 02-13-2008 06:34 PM

all you really need..is a hungry asian....im just kidding...nice topic

Rawbster 02-20-2008 07:13 PM

[QUOTE=joe_04_04;15978015]all you really need..is a hungry asian....im just kidding...nice topic[/QUOTE]

In theory, that could work I suppose haha.
Edit- Nice avatar, Chris Adler rocks.

LoneStarDrummer 02-20-2008 07:32 PM

that's funny because when ever i start playing my drums, my dog runs over to sit in front of my door. i don't let her in though. i don't think she would come in while i'm playing anyway, she just likes to sit by the door when i play. it's a thick door because my drum room is separate from the house, so it's basically like her sitting outside of the front door of a tiny *** house.

i won't let her in because dogs won't stop doing something just because it can harm them. a dog will stare at the light from a welder until they go blind and never complain once. they will also put themselves in situation that are damaging to their ears and will go deaf, but never bother to leave the area so long as the sound isn't annoying them.

sLarkin20 02-22-2008 12:44 PM

Lol, good topic for a lesson.

I don't have a dog, but it was an interesting read nonetheless.

double stroke roller 02-22-2008 10:13 PM

When do guns come into the picture?

ant_182 03-05-2008 04:42 PM

Are you that "dog whisperer" dude :p. In the light its obvious what to do! but clearly explaining it makes it much easier :) I doon't drum at home on my kit, so its no problem for me. But cool :) +rep

_Wrathchild_ 03-06-2008 11:09 PM

My dog hasn't barked at my drums before, but I always keep the door closed with her outside of my room when I'm playing. However, she sometimes howls when I'm playing piano. Could this be because its hurting her ears? There was one song in particular in which she always started howling at nearly the exact same spot.

She likes my harp though. She'll often come lie beside me while I practice.

Edit: I have another dog too and the piano doesn't seem to bother him at all, if that makes any difference.

ant_182 03-08-2008 04:35 AM

Its just, I supose like people have differences. Some like different music and doing different things! And other people hear things diferently/better/worse than others. A load of different factors I presume?

Or maybe she just wants to sing for you :)

mullets suk 03-08-2008 07:33 AM

to my knowledge howling is not signal for "im being hurt/ that thing is annoying". its normally for communal purposes. In the wild its to call wolves together, communicate over long ranges, to mark territory. Unfortunately it can also be a call for "war" with another pack. (i doubt its that, unless he tries attacking your piano lol)

because (i hope) your dog is domestic, its most likely just a trait passed down from long ago. that one chord/note may just "remind" him of the wild, thus he howls.

Jeppen 06-26-2008 10:33 PM

Basically the same thing how we taught our dog to not be afraid of guns. Man, today I was shooting sporting clays with my bro and we brought the dog along. I had him right up next to me, he didnt even flinch. Its kinda a beleive around my family that dogs have the capability to control how much they hear. Kinda like when you're eyes dialate.

As for my drums, my dog wont go near them once i hit a crash cymbal. He tucks his tail and runs away down the stairs. So even if i'm the only one home with him, i always shut my door when i play.

wishiwasinweezer 07-01-2008 03:41 PM

Yeah my dog stays upstairs when I play the drums. He seems to just ignore them according to my parents...he can sleep through me playing. However, he loves guitar and piano and will come right up to whoever is playing and lay at their feet and just look up at them. And when I am just singing out loud walking around the house he really seems to enjoy Tom Petty tunes...

mustang-monk 07-01-2008 03:44 PM

my next door neighbours dogs used to bar at me like crazy (or anybody for that matter) wed walk in our garden then theyd bark from their run likr thing in next doors. since ive been playing drums in my shed (havent played since they moved in last year) they dont bark any more they just cry. one sort of did nlike a half bark and whimpered and went inside their house thing. even if im just bringing the washing in. theyre nasty dogs anyway so oh well.

-Obscurity- 07-06-2008 03:22 AM

Or if it's a small dog:

1. Remove front head from bass drum.
2. Insert dog.
3. Replace head.
4. Blast beats for 10-20 minutes.

Dog will cease barking.

Jeppen 07-06-2008 10:51 PM

[QUOTE=-Obscurity-;16459363]Or if it's a small dog:

1. Remove front head from bass drum.
2. Insert dog.
3. Replace head.
4. Blast beats for 10-20 minutes.

Dog will cease barking.[/QUOTE]

hmm, wonder if i can fit my 100+lb labrador into my 22x18 kick?

Houdini 07-08-2008 10:35 PM

a guy up the road from me and did that to kittens. sick ****er.