Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Archives (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   July Metal Cover Competition! (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360020)

BoboTheRagingHobo 07-02-2005 01:00 AM

July Metal Cover Competition!

[size=3][b]READ ALL OF THE RULES THAT ARE POSTED AHEAD, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU CAN'T COMPREHEND SIMPLE THINGS SUCH AS GUIDELINES AND RULES.

IF YOU CANNOT DO SUCH A SIMPLE TASK, PLEASE GO AND HIT YOUR HEAD ON A BRICK WALL AND NEVER COME BACK.

MOST LIKELY YOUR QUESTION WILL BE AWNSERED IN THE UPCOMING GUIDELINES/RULES, MAKE SURE YOU LOOK THEM OVER![/b][/size]

First off, welcome to this months metal competition!

This will not be like past competitions, this will be a [b]metal song cover competition[/b]! This will be interesting to say the least and will hopefully get more of you involved with this thing.

Onward with the legalities...

[size=4][b]General Rules to Submitting your song:[/b][/size]

These are rules that you should know before turning in a song.

1. You can only enter with one song.
2. You are given "edits." When you submit your song, you have one edit. If you feel that you need to fix or change something in your song, then you can use your one edit. After that you are given no more edits, and are not allowed to tamper with your song.
A SAMPLE OF YOUR SONG DOES NOT COUNT AS AN EDIT. IF YOU UPLOAD A SAMPLE FOR US WE WILL GIVE YOU AN OPINION TO WHETHER YOU ARE HEADED IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION
3. Host your song on [url]http://www.soundclick.com/[/url]. Make an account or host your song on [url]http://www.yousendit.com[/url]
4. I MUST HAVE ACCESS TO THE SONG IN MP3 FORM.
5. MIDI SUBMISSIONS WILL BE IGNORED. (unless you're using midi drums or keyboards, in that case its ok, the guitarwork must be authentic)
If you need a recording program, do not ask us. Instead download this free one: [url]http://audacity.sourceforge.net/[/url]

[size=4][b]GENERAL SONG COVERING RULES![/b][/size]

1) Only metal songs will be accepted in this cover competition
2) You can have any one on the forums or off the forums collaborate on a song together, but both of you must play a part in the production/building of the song.
3) All covers must be at least 2 minutes, there is no limit to how long they can be
4) Quality is not needed at all when it comes to sound quality. This is supposed to be judged on songwriting(previous competitions)/ability to play the song properly. Please do not get scared off because you have not so great equipment, this is for fun, join in on it!
5) Your song does not need vocals, it is a plus, but it is not needed to be submitted.
6) If you are having troubles recording your cover, ask one of the regulars or ask for help in this thread. I am sure the ones with knowledge of recording will help you out.
7) Have fun with it! Add your own touch to the song if you must, but it must be metal. [size=4][b]You can alter the songs to your own liking and adding your own touch, but they must still be the same song.[/b][/size]
8)[size=4][b]only metal songs allowed! No converting a rock/pop/what ever song into a metal song[/b][/size] clarification ++
9) You can do the same band for a cover, but there can be no double's for songs, so claim what you want quickly.
10) Your song must pass inspection before going onto the Soundclick account

[size=4][b]GENERAL RULES![/b][/size]

These are rules that talk about how the competition works and what rules there are that pertain to the thread. I expect most people to know these rules.

1. Winner decides the theme for the next competition thread, except I make the next thread.
2. Voting takes place in a seperate thread, and usually 2-3 days after the competition is over. PLEASE BE PATIENT. THANK YOU.
3. The next theme can only be a metal theme.
4. No spam. duh retards =p
5. Please don't sh[B][I][/B][/I]it in the thread about how you wished it was something else or that someone else won. Either you enter the comp and win it and change the genre and vote in the voting threads or shut up.
6. Please do not post things like "I don't know if my song is MDM or not" Just upload it and we'll tell you, otherwise don't post useless crap.

[size=7][b]THE DEADLINE IS JULY 31ST![/b][/size]

[URL=http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357510]Winner announcement thread for the last competition[/URL]

Dibs list :

magicaltroll834 - Bathory - A Fine Day To Die
Dude3 - Megadeth - Holy Wars...the Punishment Due / Opeth - Leaper Affinity
Children of Opeth - In Flames - Jotun
Br3ad Man - Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
luftvier - Cradle Of Filth - Her Ghost In The Fog
88 Fingers Joe - At The Gates - Blinded By Fear
Cain - Opeth - A Fair Judgement
Material Boy - Sonata Arctica - Wolf And Raven
Rock_Out_Dudes - Metallica - Sanitarium
Ibanex0110 - Metallica - Hit The Lights
cragmaiden666 - Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name
Berner - Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
Ramsey/Ozy - In Flames - Bullet Ride
cjborton - Children of Bodom - Taste of My Scythe
The Emperor - Burzum - Lost Wisdom
Cunha - Megadeth - Angry Again
R0und3r - Pick one :p
adsta - In Flames - Dialogue With The Stars
Lateksi - Dimmu Borgir - Mourning Palace
philiop - Amon Amarth - Death In Fire
BeaZ - Opeth - The Twilight Is My Robe
blackout - Death - Crystal Mountain/Zero Tolerance
X12ouncesofhateX - Anata - A Problem Yet To Be Solved
bizzare6543 - In Flames - The Jester Dance / Arch Enemy - Silver Wing
IheartSP - Iron Maiden - The Trooper
Gocaps99 - Metallica - Master Of Puppets
Taset My Scythe - Metallica - Fade To Black
MetalJonus - Metallica - To Live Is To Die
stonecoldbush - Opeth - The Moor
filter - Burzum - En Ring Til Aa Herske
EddieVanHalen769 - Judas Iscariot - The Winds Stand Silent
PIGS(1 different one) - Iced Earth - Pure Evil
comptonassrobert - Rage Against The Machine - Sleep Now In The Fire
Slapping Penguin - Opeth - Demon Of The Fall
postmaster5000 - Ozzy - Crazy Train
Shattered Future - Nightwish - Nemo
Stubb - Cryptopsy - Graves of the Fathers
At.the.carcass.of.god - Opeth - Grand Conjuration
taztonik - Avenged Sevenfold - Desecrate By Reverance
Hendrix92 - Metallica - One
VitaminADD - Immolation - Father, you're not a father / Son of Iniquity
killa Bees77 - In Flames - Graveland
cacophonyz - Satyricon - Fuel For Hatred
herbtones - Deftones - My Own Summer
R. Blythe - Rage Against The Machine - Freedom
Drall - Carcass - Corporeal Jigsore Quandary
Metal_Distortion - Metallica - Motorbreath
rockbrigade - Ozzy - Crazy Babies
\m/Pete\m/ - Lamb of God - The Faded Line

[size=5][b]TOOL IS METAL, YOU CAN COVER ANY TOOL SONGS IF YOU WOULD LIKE[/b][/size]

[size=7][b]GET GOING ON YOUR COVERING OF AWESOME METAL SONGS AND HAVE FUN! GOOD LUCK TO ALL![/b][/size]

herbalH.erb 07-02-2005 01:05 AM

before I forget by knot is considered metal right? ive heard ppl say its pop

BoboTheRagingHobo 07-02-2005 01:07 AM

Yes, that is metal.

A poor representation of metal, but still metal at that.

Freezing Moon 07-02-2005 01:07 AM

Awesome!

I was hoping this one would be covers. :)

herbalH.erb 07-02-2005 01:18 AM

[QUOTE=BoboTheRagingHobo]Yes, that is metal.

A poor representation of metal, but still metal at that.[/QUOTE]am covering that then :) ill be doing the bass work

Huber 07-02-2005 01:27 AM

So, do you have to cover the entire song? I just have a hunch that the song I want to cover will be something with a guitar solo, and I can't play guitar for my life.

Dude3 07-02-2005 01:31 AM

Awesome! Now, I don't really need FL in time. I think I may do Megadeth's "Holy Wars", if I learn it in time.

herbalH.erb 07-02-2005 01:32 AM

[QUOTE=Sliptallica]So, do you have to cover the entire song? I just have a hunch that the song I want to cover will be something with a guitar solo, and I can't play guitar for my life.[/QUOTE]
try an improvise or change the solo part or just ask any dude who cna play it to play it for ya, am sure u must know a few able gutiarist :thumb:

BoboTheRagingHobo 07-02-2005 01:33 AM

[QUOTE=Sliptallica]So, do you have to cover the entire song? I just have a hunch that the song I want to cover will be something with a guitar solo, and I can't play guitar for my life.[/QUOTE]

I am not sure on this, but it could be part of your own "style" by cutting out the solo, but as long as it still meets the required lenght. But it would probably hurt your ability to get higher votes though.

Unless ruled otherwise, just go with that for now.

Dude3 07-02-2005 01:33 AM

What do you want to try? Don't say if you want to keep it a secret.

Huber 07-02-2005 01:33 AM

[QUOTE=herbalH.erb]try an improvise or change the solo part or just ask any dude who cna play it to play it for ya, am sure u must know a few able gutiarist :thumb:[/QUOTE]

I'm not even a guitarist man, I couldn't improvise crap.

And to your second suggestion... sadly, no, not IRL. The reason I'm not in a band...

Edit: To dude3:

I don't know yet, I thought I'd get "Solo, or no solo" out of the way so if I had to eliminate some songs I could before I made a decision.

herbalH.erb 07-02-2005 01:35 AM

[QUOTE=Sliptallica]I'm not even a guitarist man, I couldn't improvise crap.

And to your second suggestion... sadly, no, not IRL. The reason I'm not in a band...

Edit: To dude3:

I don't know yet, I thought I'd get "Solo, or no solo" out of the way so if I had to eliminate some songs I could before I made a decision.[/QUOTE]

Ask jake or someone from the tool covers you know well to play it for ya! dunno really

ive got a question: can I add a solo or a part to a song?

TojesDolan 07-02-2005 01:36 AM

What if I take a rock song and give a metal twist? That can be done as well, or does it have to be metal all around?

Huber 07-02-2005 01:39 AM

In the rules it says he hasn't decided yet...

herbalH.erb 07-02-2005 01:41 AM

[QUOTE=dolandestroy]What if I take a rock song and give a metal twist? That can be done as well, or does it have to be metal all around?[/QUOTE]8) I am not sure yet if metal songs can be turned into something else and if non-metal songs can be turned into metal songs, so I will get back with that information./needs verification

BoboTheRagingHobo 07-02-2005 01:41 AM

[QUOTE=dolandestroy]What if I take a rock song and give a metal twist? That can be done as well, or does it have to be metal all around?[/QUOTE]

I need to clarify that with Ramsey, since this is his competition.

Herbal : I guess you can put that under putting your "own" touch to it. But be careful about it, it could actually hurt you instead.

herbalH.erb 07-02-2005 01:42 AM

[QUOTE=BoboTheRagingHobo]I need to clarify that with Ramsey, since this is his competition.

Herbal : I guess you can put that under putting your "own" touch to it. But be careful about it, it could actually hurt you instead.[/QUOTE]
i see. it wont be anything crazy, just really to make a bit more complex

Magicaltroll 07-02-2005 01:47 AM

Sweet!
This is gonna be really interesting...
I wonder how I'm gonna get vocals on this though... I'm not much of a singer.

/goes to search through music library for a song he can play

Bobo, I know you like Arcturus alot. So do you know if they drop tune at all? Drop D is fine, but I'm talking about C standard and stuff like that.
Anyone else can help too, I was just wondering.

adsta 07-02-2005 01:51 AM

This should be an awesome competition. I have no idea what I am going to cover at the moment, but I'm still heaps excited. Just hope I get my gt-8 in time for the recording.

Dude3 07-02-2005 01:56 AM

I found a backing track for the song I want to do. It has drums and bass. Is it ok that it has bass in it?

Also, If I were to add vocals to the song, could it hurt me? Because, I can't really sing.

br3ad_man 07-02-2005 02:01 AM

[QUOTE=magicaltroll834]Sweet!
This is gonna be really interesting...
I wonder how I'm gonna get vocals on this though... I'm not much of a singer.

/goes to search through music library for a song he can play

Bobo, I know you like Arcturus alot. So do you know if they drop tune at all? Drop D is fine, but I'm talking about C standard and stuff like that.
Anyone else can help too, I was just wondering.[/QUOTE]

Yes, they tune down. I'm not sure if they use "drop tunings" (eg Drop D), but they tune lower than E standard.

Just a clarification, this is covers of metal songs in metal format, not covers of whatever songs (eg jazz, pop, indie) in metal format, right?

BoboTheRagingHobo 07-02-2005 02:05 AM

[QUOTE=br3ad_man]Yes, they tune down. I'm not sure if they use "drop tunings" (eg Drop D), but they tune lower than E standard.

Just a clarification, this is covers of metal songs in metal format, not covers of whatever songs (eg jazz, pop, indie) in metal format, right?[/QUOTE]

I am not sure of what tuning Arcturus uses, so yeah...

And yes you are correct unless if Ramsey says otherwise.

Magicaltroll 07-02-2005 02:10 AM

Ok, I've decided that I will be covering Bathory-A Fine Day To Die.
So I call it :p

br3ad_man 07-02-2005 02:13 AM

IF you download a powertab of Kinetic or something and open it in guitar pro, you'll find out.

Are you entering Bobo?

Magicaltroll 07-02-2005 02:17 AM

[QUOTE=br3ad_man]IF you download a powertab of Kinetic or something and open it in guitar pro, you'll find out.

Are you entering Bobo?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, the reason I asked was because I was gonna try that song. But then it hit me. Bathory. So yeah. :D

And Bobo, I think you should enter. I'd like to hear one of your songs. Even if it is a cover.

br3ad_man 07-02-2005 02:36 AM

I considered that Bathory song but decided not to. I look foward to yours.

Dude3 07-02-2005 02:44 AM

I take dibs on Megadeth's "Holy Wars...the Punishment Due", if you can take dibs.

Stoic 07-02-2005 02:54 AM

Well this should be interesting for the listener (>ME). Just, wouldnt it be a good idea the competitors to upload the orginal song along with their cover?

Children of Opeth 07-02-2005 03:32 AM

I'm calling Jotun by In flames for my cover.

MILF Hunter 07-02-2005 03:42 AM

How will it be judged, by skill?