Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Guitar (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Using distortion/fuzz pedals with solid state amps. (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519253)

rippa32 03-29-2007 12:05 AM

Using distortion/fuzz pedals with solid state amps.

I want to buy a Big Muff Pi but the amp I have is a 15watt solid state practice amp, (its actually a Behringer modelling amp). Would a Big Muff be alright through this? I've heard distortion/overdrive pedals sound crap through solid state and Ive also heard it's only Overdrive.

MaCkCiTy 03-29-2007 12:23 AM

ss + distortion/OD = poo. I had that amp and it was pretty bad, I wouldn't exactly call it a modelling amp. If you do get it, dont expect it to do anything magical, probably wouldn't sound any better than the amps distortion. Just save your money and buy a decent amp. Look at Ashton Viper 112 or something.

overturned 03-29-2007 02:15 AM

[QUOTE=rippa32;14448631]I want to buy a Big Muff Pi but the amp I have is a 15watt solid state practice amp, (its actually a Behringer modelling amp). Would a Big Muff be alright through this? I've heard distortion/overdrive pedals sound crap through solid state and Ive also heard it's only Overdrive.[/QUOTE]

Theres nothing wrong with running od/distortion/fuzz through solid state amps. It simply depends on the amp you run them through. Generally, digital amplifiers will not take as pedals nearly as well as your bog standard, ultra clean tube/valve or normal ss.

Overdrive pedals are never said to be excellent with solid state because the VAST majority of those buying overdrive pedals use them to "push" the tubes into overdrive.

If you want a Muff, go for it. I doubt you'll keep that little amp for long as well y'know, simply consider your pedal collection, current or growing when you change..

E.S.P. 03-29-2007 04:21 AM

Nothing wrong with distortion pedals through SS amps. I used a Boss OD-20 through a bass amp, and it created some pretty heavy distortion.

rippa32 03-29-2007 05:08 AM

[QUOTE=overturned;14448912]Theres nothing wrong with running od/distortion/fuzz through solid state amps. It simply depends on the amp you run them through. Generally, digital amplifiers will not take as pedals nearly as well as your bog standard, ultra clean tube/valve or normal ss.

Overdrive pedals are never said to be excellent with solid state because the VAST majority of those buying overdrive pedals use them to "push" the tubes into overdrive.

If you want a Muff, go for it. I doubt you'll keep that little amp for long as well y'know, simply consider your pedal collection, current or growing when you change..[/QUOTE]

So how do I know if mine is digital or not? it's a GM108, it says modelling but like Mackcity said its not really.

MaCkCiTy 03-29-2007 06:47 AM

Well it's not digital, where it says "[B]analog modeling[/B]" on the amp is the give away :p. It's just doing EQ/Gain adjustments rather than actually model different amps/cabs. It's pretty crap no offence. [B]overturned[/B] is right though, if you want it for a pedal collection, go for it. If you're trying to find a magic pedal to right the amps sound, I doubt theres a pedal in the world that will help. If you are thinking of sticking with the guitar, a new amp should be the first thing on your list.

See if you can find a store with one of these...

[url]http://www.guitar.com.au/amplifiers/electric/ashton/vp30.htm[/url]

Its under $500 and its an amp you wouldn't need to replace till you start some serious gigging... :thumb:

Jon 03-29-2007 07:30 AM

tbh

distortion pedals for solid state amps
overdrive for valve amps.

why you'd want to overdrive a solid state amp or distort a valve amp is beyond me.

GreyHam 03-29-2007 07:39 AM

meh, as a practise amp im sure the ultimate tone isnt really what your after. through a SS clean channel its not terrible. its the same with all pedals - they sound better through a better amp.

id say go for it - big muffs are nice pedals and when you inevitably upgrade your amp itll still be there

MaCkCiTy 03-29-2007 07:44 AM

Well I went through a fair share amps (way more than warrented) and that amp is by far the worst (next to some no name 5w pos that was given to me). It's pretty bad. It'll make the big muff sound poo.

Jon 03-29-2007 07:55 AM

my friend is giving me his big muff for free :cool:

rippa32 03-29-2007 09:53 PM

[QUOTE=MaCkCiTy;14449397]Well I went through a fair share amps (way more than warrented) and that amp is by far the worst (next to some no name 5w pos that was given to me). It's pretty bad. It'll make the big muff sound poo.[/QUOTE]

Oh yer it's quite crap, no doubt there. Mayb ill just save and get that laney 30 watt combo I've had my eye on.

bigblackjohnson 03-30-2007 07:48 AM

a good bigger SS would be ok with it. I still wouldnt recomend a muff, cuz personally i dont like them. But it would really be a huge waste of money to put a decent distortion pedal in front of any 15w ss amp. Just save your money and get a better amp that dosent need pedals to mask it's tone.

Used666 03-30-2007 09:56 AM

Ya it really probably is a better idea to save up for a slightly better amp, get into 30/50 watt SS and then go for the pedal, kustom makes some nice SS amps

rippa32 03-31-2007 04:39 AM

Whats the point of that? Ill end up getting a 30watt all tube combo anyway, later on though cos I can't afford it now. And I'll be getting a new guitar before that.

Jon 03-31-2007 05:43 AM

I've never understood the point of mid-hi-watt solid states.

You get your 10w starter SS, you keep that till you can gig, then you buy a tube amp.

I have no idea at all why anyone would want a 30w SS. weird.

Fraggy 03-31-2007 05:50 AM

[quote=Jon;14461620]I've never understood the point of mid-hi-watt solid states.

You get your 10w starter SS, you keep that till you can gig, then you buy a tube amp.

I have no idea at all why anyone would want a 30w SS. weird.[/quote]
I guess they want to plug their guitar into it?
Some may use it as a drink coaster tho.

Jon 03-31-2007 06:25 AM

but why 30w?

Or 50w?

You're going to sound crap anyway, so why do it louder?

I think there's something wrong with it, but my 10w Squier SP10 goes louder than my Hifi, I mean it makes my windows shake and you can hear it on the other side of the house :confused:

rippa32 03-31-2007 07:27 AM

I agree. You see these 120watt Line 6 Spider Half-Stacks and you just wonder why.

EDIT: Oh and whats the difference between an average muff, a russian muff and a little muff?

Jon 03-31-2007 08:00 AM

Its not even that - you can use a 120w SS Half Stack to gig with if you like bad sound and have a really really tiny dick, I guess.

But upgrading from a 10w to a 30w MG or something =/

E.S.P. 03-31-2007 10:24 AM

Hahah, I used an MG 120w before I traded it away. It had a nice sound, no-one complained.

Ethan. 03-31-2007 01:53 PM

The point of getting a mid/have watt ss amp is probably so you can jam with a full band even if you don't have enough money for a good tube amp.

E.S.P. 03-31-2007 04:06 PM

Well... I payed 400$ for my MG stack and 150$ for my tube amp, retubed and with a better speaker.

Kinda puts it into perspective.

hotpants_67 03-31-2007 04:44 PM

what amp^

rippa32 04-01-2007 06:40 AM

bump, I am going to buy the muff but I need to know whats the difference between the standard, the little muff and the russian one.