Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Punk (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   The Official Clash & Joe Strummer Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304613)

SlappedByTheClash 02-19-2005 08:23 PM

The Official Clash & Joe Strummer Thread

Check this s'hit out, yo. It's my first one, so be nice.

[B]Joe Strummer[/B]

Born: August 21, 1952 in Ankara Turkey, Died 2002 in Somerset, England.
Bands:The Vultures, 101er's, The Clash, The Pogues, Mescaleros, and some solo work

Disocagraphy:

Mescaleros/Solo:
- Global A Go Go
- Rock Art & The X-Ray Style
- Walker
- Earthquake Weather
-Streetcore

Clash:
-The Clash
-Give Em' Enough Rope
-London Calling
-Sandinista
-Black Market Clash
-Combat Rock
-Cut The Crap

101'ers:
-Keys to Your Heart / 5 Star Rock & Roll Petrol
-Sweet Revenge / Rabies
-** LP ** Elgin Ave Breakdown

Vultures:
-Uhhh, none to my knowledge

Pogues:
-Produced Hell's Ditch

Soundtracks and Misc

- Grosse Point Blank
- Docteur Chance
- Permanent Record
- Straight To Hell
- Sid & Nancy
- When Pigs Fly
- Chef Aid
- Kicks Joy Darkness
- Free The Memphis 3
- Small World Big Band
- Theme To Black Hawk Down

Joe was born John Grahm Mellor in Ankara, Turkey in 1952 to a wealthy British diplomat. After being sent to a boarding in school in London, Joe as a teenager began to play folk and blues music along the streets of London under the assumed name Woody Mellor, presumably for his affection for Woody Guthrie and his music.

Joe finally decided "bollocks to this, I'll form a band" and The Vultures were born. Although they played only six gigs at student union events, they formed the basis for Joe's love for performing and his undoubtable stage presence.

Soon after The Vultures broke up, Joe formed "El Huaso and the 101 All Stars" which was later shortened to the 101'ers, named after the squat at 101 Walterton Road, Maida Vale. This band was more succesful than The Vultures, and were well established as an outstanding pub rock band. However, Joe became disillusioned with the Pub Rock scene, and shortly after seeing the Sex Pistols, broke up the band and began to look towards Punk as an inspiration.

Apparently, one day he was walking down the street and Mick Jones shouted that he thought the 101'ers were trash, then promptly asked Joe to join his band.

Thus, The Clash were born, after going through a few s'hitty names like The Heartdrops and Big Girl's Panties.

The Clash quickly became one of the biggest Punk bands around, and in their prime, were bigger than those f'ucks in the Pistols ever were.

Famous for their fiery performances and Joe's wild stage behavior, The Clash quickly got lumped in with the band that were "too dangerous" thus, leading to the expulsion of their concerts from many venues.

The Clash soon began expirementing with other forms of music, and although their later albums were stellar in terms of variety and musicianship, they began to get classified as sellouts, which led to their breakup in 1985.

After poncing about for a few years, Joe decided to get back into the music scene and recorded his first solo albums.

Later, he produced a Pogues album and even replaced Shane on one of their tours for a short bit.

For the majority of the 90's, Joe remained relatively quiet, releasing the occasional soundtrack song here and there, until 1999 when he released the excellent Rock, Art, and The X-Ray Style on Hell-cat records.

After that, he recorded the follow up, Global A Go-Go, which was another solid release to add to his career.

In the midst of recording the album Streetcore, Joe had a sudden heart failure in his Somerset home and sadly passed away on December 22nd, 2002.

EDIT:During Joe's career, he had outspoken socio-politcal views, and these often focused less on the happenings of the political world itself, but what was happening in the streets and slums of the globe, and tried his d'amnedest to inspire the poor and apathetic public to get off their a'sses and get a better future for themselves.

Also, in order to help further the progress of modern music, Joe's family and friends have launched Strummerville, Joe's foundation for new music, which gives rehearsal space and recording facilities to upcoming musicians around the world.

^Again, s'hitty, but it does it's job.
I'm just not very good at this

Recommended songs:
Mescaleros/solo-Johnny Appleseed, Get Down Moses, X-Ray Style, Yalla Yalla
Clash-Complete Control, White Riot, Janie Jones, Bankrobber, Magnificent Seven, London Calling

Any criticism/complaints is appreciated, because I want to know if I'm not the only one who thinks I did a s'hitty job.Thanks. :thumb:

sketchyjoe 02-19-2005 08:26 PM

You could've gone into more detail about his time in The Clash but it was good.

SlappedByTheClash 02-19-2005 08:27 PM

I thought it was a bit Clash heavy, but I can see what you'e talking about.

Thanks.

Glitterati 02-19-2005 08:28 PM

That was pretty good. R.I.P. Joe :upset:

Coma_Girl 02-19-2005 08:38 PM

I love pretty much everything Joe Strummer did.He was awesome.You didn't say anything about all his political views and the causes and all these stuff, and in my opinion, it was a big part of his life, but it was good anyway.

a week ago or so, they named a train after him.that's awesome. :D

RIP Joe.

PoisonParadox 02-19-2005 08:39 PM

I'm reading Let Fury Have the Hour

SlappedByTheClash 02-19-2005 08:40 PM

[QUOTE=Coma_Girl]I love pretty much everything Joe Strummer did.He was awesome.You didn't say anything about all his political views and the causes and all these stuff, and in my opinion, it was a big part of his life, but it was good anyway.

a week ago or so, they named a train after him.that's awesome. :D

RIP Joe.[/QUOTE]

I was trying to focus on his musical career, not his political ethics, but I felt bad for leaving them out.

Perhaps an edit is in order...

Coma_Girl 02-19-2005 08:42 PM

[QUOTE=PoisonParadox]I'm reading Let Fury Have the Hour[/QUOTE]
is it good, cause i wanted to buy it, but i heard it wasn't that interesting...

Coma_Girl 02-19-2005 08:43 PM

[QUOTE=SlappedByTheClash]I was trying to focus on his musical career, not his political ethics, but I felt bad for leaving them out.

Perhaps an edit is in order...[/QUOTE]
yay!:D

PoisonParadox 02-19-2005 08:44 PM

[QUOTE=Coma_Girl]is it good, cause i wanted to buy it, but i heard it wasn't that interesting...[/QUOTE]
I haven't read a lot of it yet, but it's not that great so far

SlappedByTheClash 02-19-2005 08:47 PM

The edit sucked, but I did it in a hurry, give me some time to rethink it so it'll be better.

I'm totally unprepared for this, report esque things were never my strong point.:upset:

Coma_Girl 02-19-2005 08:57 PM

i think it's pretty good.you can't say how much Joe was great in a text, it's just impossible (the fan in me speaking)

even if his convictions were confused sometimes, it showed the world that you have to stand for what you believe in.and that's great.
and he wrote some of the greatest lyrics ever.
and i swear i've learned more about history listening to the clash and searching names and places and dates on internet cause i didn't understand the song, than in my history class.

sketchyjoe 02-19-2005 09:01 PM

[QUOTE=SlappedByTheClash]I thought it was a bit Clash heavy, but I can see what you'e talking about.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Its probably just because I know a lot about The Clash so anything less than a huge biography will seem sparse to me.

SlappedByTheClash 02-19-2005 09:03 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean, but I was trying to not focus on one band too much, so it ended up a little uneven in some parts, but it was my first one, so it wasn't a travesty of a biography or anything.

SlappedByTheClash 02-19-2005 09:32 PM

Oh man, no one's reading it.:upset:

Coma_Girl 02-19-2005 09:41 PM

i read it :D

ahh okay.it won't cheer you up.

SlappedByTheClash 02-19-2005 09:42 PM

All of four people read it.

After all that work, and then nuthin'.

D'amnit.

El_Shiznit 02-19-2005 09:44 PM

[QUOTE=SlappedByTheClash]All of four people read it.

After all that work, and then nuthin'.

D'amnit.[/QUOTE]
Shutup bit'ch.

Go read some of the old band profiles from way back when. Back then, barely any responses came. You kids these days got no appreciation for what you got.

SlappedByTheClash 02-19-2005 09:45 PM

Still have more then mine.

I didn't expect many replies, but I'm needy and I felt like whining like a little bitch.

Sorry.

El_Shiznit 02-19-2005 09:46 PM

That's right you little whippersnapper.

SlappedByTheClash 02-19-2005 09:47 PM

Geezer.;)

Forest_Fire 02-19-2005 09:55 PM

i thought it was decent. i dont like long profiles, i usually dont read all of them

i heart joe strummer and the clash so much my pants got all warm when i read this

(and ive only done one profile and it got only like 5 replies)

Coma_Girl 02-19-2005 09:56 PM

[QUOTE=SlappedByTheClash]The Clash were born, after going through a few s'hitty names like The Heartdrops and Big Girl's Panties.[/QUOTE]
i never heard of these names before and i read pretty much everything i can find about the clash.
these names are awful :lol:

SlappedByTheClash 02-19-2005 09:58 PM

They were Bernie's doing.

What a f'uckin idiot.

Now I feel bad for being such an annoying little b'astard.

*shuffles feet* Sorry, guys.

closet_punk 02-19-2005 10:08 PM

not bad

i couldn't do better

Coma_Girl 02-19-2005 10:13 PM

do you guys remember your reaction when you heard he passed away? :upset:

closet_punk 02-19-2005 10:15 PM

i was mad and pissy for about an hour

SlappedByTheClash 02-19-2005 10:26 PM

I think I just sat staring at the computer for like 3 hours.

Then I totally f'ucking lost it, I was so sad.

Coma_Girl 02-19-2005 10:44 PM

I remember I was watching plus sur commande (a ****ty live tv show on musique plus, the mtv from quebec) and one of the VJ was wearing a clash shirt, and the other one asked her if she was sad that Joe Strummer died and she smiled and said "Yeeeahhh, of course!look at my shirt!".An hard way to learn about a death, in my opinion.I didn't cry, I was just "blahh" and I didn't know what to feel, I couldn't believe it.It sounds gay and stupid, but Joe, his music and his lyrics really changed my life...If it wasnt for the clash, I'd probably still be afraid to say what's on my mind.I never really accepted that he died...I feel like I'm still waiting for the next Mescaleros album or whatever.I guess it's okay though, everybody will die someday.

closet_punk 02-19-2005 10:47 PM

[QUOTE=Coma_Girl]I remember I was watching plus sur commande (a ****ty live tv show on musique plus, the mtv from quebec) and one of the VJ was wearing a clash shirt, and the other one asked her if she was sad that Joe Strummer died and she smiled and said "Yeeeahhh, of course!look at my shirt!".An hard way to learn about a death, in my opinion.I didn't cry, I was just "blahh" and I didn't know what to feel, I couldn't believe it.It sounds gay and stupid, but Joe, his music and his lyrics really changed my life...If it wasnt for the clash, I'd probably still be afraid to say what's on my mind.I never really accepted that he died...I feel like I'm still waiting for the next Mescaleros album or whatever.I guess it's okay though, everybody will die someday.[/QUOTE]

it was and is the same way with me with johnny and joey