Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Punk (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Hardcore Community Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193593)

shane italian 06-16-2004 10:00 PM

Hardcore Community Thread

WE GOT THE POINT ACROSS!

BuddyBigsby 06-16-2004 10:02 PM

Good, this thread will probably do more good in here than R/M. Less morons and newbs.

shane italian 06-16-2004 10:03 PM

I would ask for it to be stickied but I doubt JmE is going to think it's very important, and I'm pretty positive Kithkin won't.

NakedRaygun872 06-16-2004 10:06 PM

I didn't realize half those bands are considered Metalcore or Hardcore I always lumped it into one genre because I was too lazy to figure out who went where but you dumbed it down enough for me so thank you.

Let's Chop Cats! 06-16-2004 10:07 PM

[b]Grindcore[/b] in its purest form consisted of short, apocalyptic blasts of noise played on standard heavy metal instrumentation (distorted guitar, bass, drums). Although grindcore wasn't just randomly improvised, it certainly didn't follow conventional structure, either; while riffs could sometimes be picked out, pure grindcore never featured verses, choruses, or even melodies. Grindcore vocals sounded torturous, ranging from high-pitched shrieks to low, throat-shredding growls and barks; although the lyrics were usually quite verbose, they were very rarely intelligible. Some bands in this catagory can also be known as Mathcore. Meaning they're more complex in the musical writings.

Grindcore bands:
Napalm Death, Dillinger Escape Plan, Death, Carcass, The Locust, The Tony Danza Tap Dance Extravaganza

Let's Chop Cats! 06-16-2004 10:08 PM

I'm no expert on that so someone add more if needed.

Luxor 06-16-2004 10:08 PM

I remember you posting this in R&M.

I also remember it getting completely ignored with the exception of BuddyBigsby and I.

BuddyBigsby 06-16-2004 10:09 PM

I don't feel like typing out a definition of screamo, because I know someone's going to ask it in here eventually, so if you want one:

Go to the pop-punk forum.

Search for a thread titeld "REAL screamo"

Voila.

Johnny EPHC 06-16-2004 10:09 PM

We should have a thread like the metal forum has stickied, explaining all the genres that fall into this forum.

shane italian 06-16-2004 10:12 PM

[B]Grindcore Bands:[/B]
Pig Destroyer, Agorphobic Nosebleed, Cock and Ball Torture...

Sk8Ska, could you bold the word Grindcore on yours so people will notice that it's another explaination?

Luxor 06-16-2004 10:12 PM

[QUOTE=BuddyBigsby]I don't feel like typing out a definition of screamo, because I know someone's going to ask it in here eventually, so if you want one:

Go to the pop-punk forum.

Search for a thread titeld "REAL screamo"

Voila.[/QUOTE]

It just so happens that thread was bumped for some reason the other day. here:

[QUOTE=BuddyBigsby] Ok, this is sort of a stupid thing to make a thread about, but it's been getting on my nerves more and more lately as I see the term screamo being thrown around to emo, pop-punk, and emocore bands like Thursday, Thrice, Poison the Well, Alexisonfire, and so on. Screamo is not this. Screamo is a really noisy, chaotic, and ultimately pretty unknown type of music. Some screamo bands are: Neil Perry, Kaospilot (hehe, norwegians), Orchid, Love Lost But Not Forgotten, and Pg. 99. I'm just getting into this form of music, is anyone else here into these bands? [/QUOTE]

Kaospilot
[url]http://www.novarecordings.de/mp3/kaospilot_a_false_hollywood_promise.mp3[/url]

Neil Perry
[url]http://www.novarecordings.de/mp3/neil_perry-split_7inch-white_trash.mp3[/url]

DrGolovaCroxby 06-16-2004 10:12 PM

what would you consider the Circle Jerks, then.

i've always considered them hardcore.

Let's Chop Cats! 06-16-2004 10:13 PM

Hardcore

NakedRaygun872 06-16-2004 10:13 PM

Probably "Old Hardcore."

Let's Chop Cats! 06-16-2004 10:13 PM

[QUOTE=iHATEgc][B]Grind Bands:[/B]
Pig Destroyer, Agorphobic Nosebleed, Cock and Ball Torture...

Sk8Ska, could you bold the word Grindcore on yours so people will notice that it's another explaination?[/QUOTE]
You can copy paste my thing into the main post so more people read it if you want to. Also makes it easier to read.

Give me a minute and I'll copy paste some stuff off of fourfa.com for emo/emocore/screamo

Let's Chop Cats! 06-16-2004 10:15 PM

[b]Emocore[/b] style has become broader over the years. In the beginning, these bands consisted mostly of people who played in hardcore punk bands, got burned out its limited forms, and moved to a guitar-oriented, midtempo rock-based sound with emotional punk vocals (i.e., no posed soulful crooning like pop music). The central aspect here is the guitars - distorted, strummed mostly in duo unison, with occasional catchy riff highlights. This becomes known as the classic "D.C. sound," along with the octave chords that show up in later "emo" music. Later bands bring in more pop elements, like catchy-riff based songs, pop song structures (listen to Jawbreaker's "Chesterfield King" to illustrate this), and less-punk, more-smoothly-sung high-register singing (less yelling, straining, throatiness). Listen to Elliot or Chamberlain for an example of how alternative-pop this music has become. Yet those bands are undeniably still emocore. Also note most emocore bands play Gibson Les Paul guitars, with a few SGs, and use mostly Marshall JCM-800 amps.

Emocore bands:
Rites of Spring, Embrace, Gray Matter, Ignition, Dag Nasty, Monsula, Fugazi kind of, Fuel, Samiam, Jawbreaker, Hot Water Music, Elliot, Friction, Soulside, early Lifetime, Split Lip/Chamberlain, Kerosene 454

Let's Chop Cats! 06-16-2004 10:17 PM

[b]Emo[/b] is one of the most misunderstood genres of all time. Started 1988 post-Minor Threat. One of the most recognizable and universal elements of emo shows up in the guitar sound of this style: the octave chord. The vocal style is usually much more intense than emocore, ranging from normal singing in the quiet parts to a kind of pleading howl to gut-wrenching screams to actual sobbing and crying. Lyrics tend toward somewhat abstract poetry, and are usually low in the mix and hard to decipher.

Emo bands:
Moss Icon, the Hated, Silver Bearings, Native Nod, Merel, Hoover, Current, Indian Summer, Evergreen, Navio Forge, Still Life, Shotmaker, Policy of Three, Clikatat Ikatowi, Maximillian Colby, Sleepytime Trio, Noneleftstanding, Embassy, Ordination of Aaron, Floodgate, Four Hundred Years, Frail, Lincoln, Julia, Shroomunion

BuddyBigsby 06-16-2004 10:18 PM

But that FourFa definition doesn't cover the modern stuff. Might want to elaborate on that.

shane italian 06-16-2004 10:19 PM

I'll do it.

Johnny EPHC 06-16-2004 10:22 PM

I think compiling this into one big thread is a good idea.

Jedi Jesus 06-16-2004 10:25 PM

This needs to be stickied.

Hardcore is such an all spanning genre though, some bands sound like minor threat, some sound like hatebreed.

BuddyBigsby 06-16-2004 10:29 PM

Well, but Minor Threat are old school hardcore (or OG hardcore, as I like to call it), and Hatebreed are metalcore. There really is a difference.

Let's Chop Cats! 06-16-2004 10:33 PM

To add to some of the definitions...

For metalcore add that since they're based of metal there is more complexity in the writings of guitar, more noted riffs added to it than hardcore has.

syrUsbilt 06-16-2004 10:34 PM

The line between hardcore and metalcore is pretty blurry in some points.

Terror could go either way.
Cast Aside could go either way.
Hatebreed is metalcore but you could say they are very heavily influenced by hardcore.

etc....

BuddyBigsby 06-16-2004 10:40 PM

Well, Hatebreed are the true definition of metalcore. Unlike other "metalcore" bands (Bleeding Through, As I Lay Dying) which are 99% metal, 1% hardcore. Hatebreed are pretty 50/50. Seriously, listen to a real hardcore band like Blood for Blood or something... how much of that do you hear in BT or AILD? That's right, none.

imnotyourcrackwhore 06-16-2004 11:15 PM

CORE OVERDOSE! There doesn't need to be so many sub categories. After awhile, it all becomes a private club.

BuddyBigsby 06-17-2004 12:17 AM

Then tell the bands to stop being original and making their own sounds, thus starting their own genres.

DrGolovaCroxby 06-17-2004 12:21 AM

man. i hate it when bands are creative and make good, original music.

shane italian 06-17-2004 12:27 AM

[QUOTE=BuddyBigsby]Then tell the bands to stop being original and making their own sounds, thus starting their own genres.[/QUOTE]pwnage

BuddyBigsby 06-17-2004 01:20 AM

Stickied!!! Thank you anonymous mod!