Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bass Guitar (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Casual - Once more with feeling (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571968)

gaslight 06-19-2011 08:20 AM

Looks okay.

I wouldn't mind getting an acoustic at some point.

A 5 string is definitely good to have. A 6 covers its range but to me a 6 feels really bulky and conspicuous when the highs aren't being used.

Radiobass81 06-19-2011 11:33 PM

Hi.

fatbandit 06-20-2011 01:37 AM

lol. i still have a db500

Spaceman Spiff 06-20-2011 07:58 AM

I saw a couple wicked shows this weekend.

Devo on Saturday night.
Digable Planets and Pharcyde on Sunday.

Pretty awesome all around.

FunkMetalBass 06-20-2011 10:40 AM

I brewed another mead last night - pomegranate. I hope it turns out well. I guess I'll find out around Christmas.

In other news, I've almost finished the paintjob on my Squier. It needs one more wet sand and them I'm on to clear coats. I attempted a reverse-burst, so it's a black body and a red burst. Turned out okay, but I suspect there's a reason I've never seen it done this way...

katana_manatee 06-20-2011 07:54 PM

Yo peeps, long time no see. Cool to see a lot of the old guard are still around. Don't think I've been here since I started studying at college. How's everyone doing?

FunkMetalBass 06-20-2011 09:05 PM

[quote=katana_manatee;18547561]Yo peeps, long time no see. Cool to see a lot of the old guard are still around. Don't think I've been here since I started studying at college. How's everyone doing?[/quote]

Hey there, my overseas smoke buddy! How goes college for you? Still studying Japanese? College aside, how are you doing?

I'm doing well. The girlfriend just moved in with me about three weeks ago and I've been busy with summer school (Philosophy of Science; English 2) and working on all of my effects projects.

BenJammin 06-20-2011 09:32 PM

lol random people pop in for a post and leave again

SixnStones 06-20-2011 10:53 PM

so many big names :P

funkyhoney 06-20-2011 10:53 PM

[QUOTE=BenJammin;18547703]lol random people pop in for a post and leave again[/QUOTE]

Hells yeah.

Radiobass81 06-21-2011 03:04 AM

It's like none of us ever left.

I've pretty much stopped playing bass since I got into the university; I mostly just doodle with guitar. I can still play, but my timing isn't what it used to. And since I've left MX, my English isn't what it used to be, either.

katana_manatee 06-21-2011 06:02 AM

[QUOTE=FunkMetalBass;18547658]Hey there, my overseas smoke buddy! How goes college for you? Still studying Japanese? College aside, how are you doing?

I'm doing well. The girlfriend just moved in with me about three weeks ago and I've been busy with summer school (Philosophy of Science; English 2) and working on all of my effects projects.[/QUOTE]

I'm good, well... As good as one can be when recovering from glandular fever or mono as I think you say on your side of the Pond.

I'm in good spirits though. Had to study some pre-degree level qualifications again as I had been out of education for more than two years and didn't have a degree under my belt so I've been studying Biology, Psychology and Modern Studies which is largely about modern history and politics. Didn't get onto a Japanese degree course this year though so will be studying some courses which are basically 1st year undergrad level then I am emigrating to Norway next year and studying Japanese there. Should be cool.

Good to hear you are doing well, Joe. How's the music going? I have to admit that I've barely played for a good while but I'm getting back into it. Should be playing bass in the band of a guy who came 2nd in the 2008 Guitar Idol championship. The guy is only 18 and he is one hell of a rock player.

How's the degree going too?

@Ben: I'll try and remember to stick around this time :p. You doing alright?

Spaceman Spiff 06-21-2011 06:48 AM

A good friend of mine just got into a jazz program for bass, so he asked me if I want to start playing some jazz with him. We're just starting, but, if all goes well, we'll actually try and do some gigs. So far it's just me on guitar and him on bass, but he somehow knows tons of musicians so we shouldn't have much trouble with getting a drummer involved.

FunkMetalBass 06-21-2011 08:16 AM

[quote=katana_manatee;18548087]I'm good, well... As good as one can be when recovering from glandular fever or mono as I think you say on your side of the Pond.

I'm in good spirits though. Had to study some pre-degree level qualifications again as I had been out of education for more than two years and didn't have a degree under my belt so I've been studying Biology, Psychology and Modern Studies which is largely about modern history and politics. Didn't get onto a Japanese degree course this year though so will be studying some courses which are basically 1st year undergrad level then I am emigrating to Norway next year and studying Japanese there. Should be cool.

Good to hear you are doing well, Joe. How's the music going? I have to admit that I've barely played for a good while but I'm getting back into it. Should be playing bass in the band of a guy who came 2nd in the 2008 Guitar Idol championship. The guy is only 18 and he is one hell of a rock player.

How's the degree going too?

@Ben: I'll try and remember to stick around this time :p. You doing alright?[/quote]

Norway seems like a strange place to go for Japanese studies, but I wont question it. I hope you're at least enjoying classes. The pre-req's can be cumbersome and annoying.

Music is on hold, though I do still write grab the acoustic and write in my spare time. Now that I'm a full-time student during the Spring and Fall semesters, I've finally taken the time to sell a lot of my unused gear and make some money to pay the tuition costs, as well as put some into savings. One of the savings goals is to purchase a mic preamp and a better recording interface so that I can record the songs that I've been writing.

The degrees are going well. With all the summer school I do, I should graduate at the end of 2012 with both the Math and Physics. However, grad schools wont accept me until the following fall semester, so if it takes me until 2013 for both of them, I wont sweat it. I still have to research math grad programs too. At quick glance, I'm leaning toward University of Arizona, which is about two hours away, but seems to have much more in the way of topology and graph theory courses than the other universities here.

Radiobass81 06-21-2011 10:25 AM

That sounds great. I'll have to look into grad schools soon, as well. I could graduate in 2012 (4 years), but I'm trying to see if I head out to la Universidad de Buenos Aires, Argentina, for the January semester. If I do that, then I'd finish in December '13.

I really haven't looked into the grad school thing [I]too[/I] much. I REALLY wany to go to México (Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México), or some other place in Latinamerica, to get the latinamerican experiencie, and the latinamerican academia tics. But I'll probably apply to some graduate schools in the US; after all, they are the most 'generous' with financial aid. Right now, Chicago is the only one I'm sure I want to apply too (and if I'd get in, I won't step a foot in the politics or economy programs).

katana_manatee 06-21-2011 11:20 AM

[QUOTE=FunkMetalBass;18548157]Norway seems like a strange place to go for Japanese studies, but I wont question it. I hope you're at least enjoying classes. The pre-req's can be cumbersome and annoying.

Music is on hold, though I do still write grab the acoustic and write in my spare time. Now that I'm a full-time student during the Spring and Fall semesters, I've finally taken the time to sell a lot of my unused gear and make some money to pay the tuition costs, as well as put some into savings. One of the savings goals is to purchase a mic preamp and a better recording interface so that I can record the songs that I've been writing.

The degrees are going well. With all the summer school I do, I should graduate at the end of 2012 with both the Math and Physics. However, grad schools wont accept me until the following fall semester, so if it takes me until 2013 for both of them, I wont sweat it. I still have to research math grad programs too. At quick glance, I'm leaning toward University of Arizona, which is about two hours away, but seems to have much more in the way of topology and graph theory courses than the other universities here.[/QUOTE]

I guess Norway does seem an odd place, but I'm half Norwegian and a full Norwegian citizen as well as British citizen and I just love Norway. Gonna emigrate next year and then will be doing an intensive Norwegian course to ensure I can cope with the level of language needed for university and I need to do a mandatory course on the history of philosophy and science with some ethics and critical thinking thrown in. Once that is done I'll be free to study the MA in Japanese. By the time I finally graduate I'll be 30 though...

Classes so far are fine and I think I'll enjoy the ones I need to do from the semester starting in August, thankfully the material interests me.

Good to hear your degrees are going well, you got a specific career in mind or are you waiting until you get onto a grad course before deciding?

If you get some recordings done in future, gimme a heads up, I'd definitely like to give 'em a listen.

fatbandit 06-21-2011 06:32 PM

Joel dude, can you drop me an email address? Want some advice about some mixing things! :)

gaslight 06-21-2011 08:56 PM

Hey guys, pedalboard recommendations please?

Preferably the kind that are also a case when you close them up and have a good handle and so on.

Convectuoso 06-22-2011 12:17 AM

[quote=fatbandit;18548744]Joel dude, can you drop me an email address? Want some advice about some mixing things! :)[/quote]
my first name then halford at windows live dot com.

Figure it out so the spam bots can't ;)

Convectuoso 06-22-2011 12:18 AM

[quote=FunkMetalBass;18548157]Norway seems like a strange place to go for Japanese studies, but I wont question it. I hope you're at least enjoying classes. The pre-req's can be cumbersome and annoying.

The degrees are going well. With all the summer school I do, I should graduate at the end of 2012 with both the Math and Physics. However, grad schools wont accept me until the following fall semester, so if it takes me until 2013 for both of them, I wont sweat it. I still have to research math grad programs too. At quick glance, I'm leaning toward University of Arizona, which is about two hours away, but seems to have much more in the way of topology and graph theory courses than the other universities here.[/quote]
Dude save up for the GAP Pre73, it soooooo worth it. I got one. And it is so sweet!

fatbandit 06-22-2011 01:20 AM

[quote=gaslight;18548849]Hey guys, pedalboard recommendations please?

Preferably the kind that are also a case when you close them up and have a good handle and so on.[/quote]
Diago are good for that over here. But they're kinda heavy things to post, so I don't know if there's someone in Australia that makes similar things?

FunkMetalBass 06-22-2011 08:35 AM

[quote=Convectuoso;18549078]Dude save up for the GAP Pre73, it soooooo worth it. I got one. And it is so sweet![/quote]

That's still the plan. Currently, my gear money is in limbo while waiting to find out what I owe to the state for some legal affairs. If they dismiss my case, I'm buying the Audiofire first and by the end of the summer, I'll have the GAP. :chug:

Btw, Raayl's new song has some sweet slap bass in it. He actually made it sound good and not overwhelming or lost in the mix.

gaslight 06-22-2011 09:25 AM

What song is it?

Convectuoso 06-22-2011 02:20 PM

[QUOTE=FunkMetalBass;18549371]That's still the plan. Currently, my gear money is in limbo while waiting to find out what I owe to the state for some legal affairs. If they dismiss my case, I'm buying the Audiofire first and by the end of the summer, I'll have the GAP. :chug:

Btw, Raayl's new song has some sweet slap bass in it. He actually made it sound good and not overwhelming or lost in the mix.[/QUOTE]

I'll post a sample of a thing I was working on last night just to test out a few new plug ins and the GAP.

fatbandit 06-22-2011 02:51 PM

programmed drums piss me off man haha. i'll email you something maybe later tonight just to show you what i'm working on over here.

Cramboli 06-23-2011 02:36 PM

Just stopped in to say hi and now I'm going back to playing the bass for another 5+ hrs

FunkMetalBass 06-23-2011 05:41 PM

Dude, Cramboli is a boss. 5 hrs? Shiiiittttt

FunkMetalBass 06-24-2011 04:49 PM

I think restaurants have a new policy whereby they wont give me a napkin if I'm not dining in.

gaslight 06-24-2011 08:52 PM

Just take one.

Fuck them, take twenty.

fatbandit 06-27-2011 01:31 AM

i hate when you order something online. then they send you an email two days later telling you it's out of stock, and they're in contact with their suppliers.

raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaage.