Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Jam Session (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Merkabas Voice-Help Hotline (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219911)

adz_18 10-02-2006 08:49 AM

oh yeah, someone on the other page brought up matthew bellamy, one of my favourite singers. As you suggest Merk, Knights of Cydonia is nothing overally spectacular vocal wise although it does get some awesome operatic sounding acapella stuff going towards the end there, ala queen. If you want to check out songs showing off his vocal ability check out "microcuts" (sings the entire song in falsetto), backing vocals of "megalomania" at 3min 39sec - 3min 42sec and 4min 13sec - 4min 20sec (again, awesome falsetto), but then "cave" particularly the chorus for power and emotion, as well as "citizen erased" and "hoodoo" which shows ability to switch registers often, with "hoodoo" showing he also has a good lower register and good vibrato.

Microcuts, megalomania and citizen erased are off their album origin or symmetry whilst hoodoo is off their latest album, black holes & revelations.

You guys should check it out, even if you don't like the music you'll still probably appreciate the musicianship.

Merkaba 10-05-2006 01:22 AM

Tireh is definitely talented. However I find the whistle register annoying usually....usually.

I'll have to check out more bellamy! Thanks!

Merkaba 10-05-2006 12:46 PM

[QUOTE=Merkaba;13384760]Tireh is definitely talented. However I find the whistle register annoying usually....usually. Especially in R&B

I'll have to check out more bellamy! Thanks![/QUOTE]

:smoke:

i am the robots 10-05-2006 11:35 PM

[QUOTE=ryanc;13294986]I'm having a lot of trouble screaming. I've read tons of threads about it but I don't quite understand everything. It would be incredibly helpful if you could email me, because I don't get a chance to go on forums very much. My email is [email]ryan5012@hotmail.com[/email]. Thank you very, very much in advance.[/QUOTE]

did anybody take care of this, or should I?

fuzzyhair 10-07-2006 10:59 AM

I have been doing inhaled screaming a lot lately. I find it a lot easier to do than exhaled, and it doesn't hurt me at all (in my throat area). The only place that it kind of hurts is my chest area. Nothing severe or anything, it just feels like I have been running a lot. So is there anything I can do to warmup this area of my body?

Strat96 10-19-2006 05:47 PM

I have been reading several pages of this and I don't know if this was covered yet or is completely on-topic. Has anyone asked about singing with a real bluesy voice? It's something I have been wanting to do for a while, but I don't want to go an mimic a recording because that usually doesn't get me anywhere. Are there any excercises anyone knows or any tips?

Thanks everyone!

adz_18 10-24-2006 12:14 AM

Fuzzy hair, I'm not an expert but I'd say reread the posts merkaba made on vocal warmup and the exercises you can do. You may also be pushing too hard which could be causing the pain.

Speaking of screaming, merkaba what's your opinion of serj tankian from system of a down? I would think that his screams (particularly off the toxicity album) are the quintessential screams to listen to when learning. Listen to "Needles" off said album, some really good screams with clear enunciation (and at one point even chucks in a death metal scream as well). Basically all of his screams are pitched, ie. the note is sung but then a sh*tload of rasp etc is added to it. In a live performance of chop suey at the london astoria, in one breath he goes from an incredible sounding scream and then comes out of it doing some vocal acrobatics around and above the tenor C! His range is quite awesome, and his screams complement this a lot too (because they're actually pitched unlike all these metalcore and screamo vocalists)... oh, and the guy can actually "sing" aswell... SOAD are at their best when malakian is harmonising with serj (something about harmonious/melodic vocals with heavy music just words for me)

Merkaba 10-26-2006 01:17 PM

[QUOTE=adz_18;13499178]Fuzzy hair, I'm not an expert but I'd say reread the posts merkaba made on vocal warmup and the exercises you can do. You may also be pushing too hard which could be causing the pain.

Speaking of screaming, merkaba what's your opinion of serj tankian from system of a down? I would think that his screams (particularly off the toxicity album) are the quintessential screams to listen to when learning. Listen to "Needles" off said album, some really good screams with clear enunciation (and at one point even chucks in a death metal scream as well). Basically all of his screams are pitched, ie. the note is sung but then a sh*tload of rasp etc is added to it. In a live performance of chop suey at the london astoria, in one breath he goes from an incredible sounding scream and then comes out of it doing some vocal acrobatics around and above the tenor C! His range is quite awesome, and his screams complement this a lot too (because they're actually pitched unlike all these metalcore and screamo vocalists)... oh, and the guy can actually "sing" aswell... SOAD are at their best when malakian is harmonising with serj (something about harmonious/melodic vocals with heavy music just words for me)[/QUOTE]

yea I know of serj a bit. I really like arials I think it was...and a few others but not really a big fan some I'm not sure. I didnt know he was belting a tenor C though. But I did know just from memory that he does have a big true range but his voice doesnt seem to rest too low so he's probably already set up for it. I'll go youtubing for some samples......couldnt find any of that astoria. sure it wasnt a falsetto though?

Joseph India 10-26-2006 05:36 PM

Hey
I've been reading the lessons for a while now.
I don't scream when singing, but recently I've been reading the screaming lessons because I started trying this technique where you scream into a saxophone to get a sort of rasp/growl out of it.
I do warm-ups and downs, but I don't really practice screaming NOTES because I don't actually think about what note I hit (you can't even hear it over the sax anyways). I use a scream kind of like a kid crying really hard, it's a very annoying sound by itself.
So my question is:
Is it going to hurt me if I don't really practice screaming notes?

adz_18 10-27-2006 04:21 AM

[QUOTE=Merkaba;13514155]yea I know of serj a bit. I really like arials I think it was...and a few others but not really a big fan some I'm not sure. I didnt know he was belting a tenor C though. But I did know just from memory that he does have a big true range but his voice doesnt seem to rest too low so he's probably already set up for it. I'll go youtubing for some samples......couldnt find any of that astoria. sure it wasnt a falsetto though?[/QUOTE]

Ah k fair enough. Yeah Aerials is a cool song, very catchy but not one that really shows what he can do with his voice, neither is the instrumentation very difficult. Nah, it definitely wasn't falsetto. It's a shame, youtube has a lot from the astoria gig but not chop suey! From the same gig tho, check out 'needles' [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytz7evRbtz8[/url] . high notes throughout the whole song, hits C# (semi tone above tenor C) at 2min 51 sec altho its very raspy (unlike the same note in chop suey which he does clean at that gig). Scream at 2min 35sec is pretty fkn good too. the song sounds funny here coz they cut out words, like needle and as$! wtf! who finds as$ offensive anymore?

Also 'science' [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gim41ZRNnV0[/url] shows a bit of his range and screaming capability. Particularly, at the 1min 41 sec and 2min 20sec.
On 'pyscho' [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3KV9y4D55E[/url] at 39 seconds the screams are awesome, at 1min 22sec the singing is high/strong as it is at 2min 15 sec...

Here is the studio version of Question! [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7f3hohhpEE[/url] featuring good harmonies, and the good old straight up tenor C in the background at 1min 35 sec

Ethan. 10-27-2006 03:45 PM

I don't know anything about singing, but people say my singer needs to get better and I don't know what to tell him. I think he's got potential, but he hasn't had lessons or anything.

So here's our band website [url]http://www.myspace.com/theindustrync[/url]

What do you guys think he could do to help his singing? The song we like the most is Decline Of Western Civilization so tips for that song would be appreciated. And please don't say lessons... I understand how much lessons can help, but that's not really an option.

Oh nevermind I think I put this in the wrong thread :lol:

slpntrx5 11-07-2006 10:49 AM

mkay, i know i've made about 3 billion of the same posts, but i'd just really like to know what i'm doing wrong, and what exercises or whatever i can do??? i promise this is the last time i'll ask. and just to make your ears bleed, here's a link:

myspace.com/faultytheband

adz_18 11-08-2006 10:41 AM

holy **** you guys have to check this out!

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDXBRvS7wa0[/url]

Best rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody I've ever seen, and considering they're Korean and can't speak English properly it makes it all the more amazing. yes, there are a few pronunciation errors, but it's trivial in comparison to the performance.

Seriously, you MUST check this out from start to finish. ****ing brilliant.

Merkaba 11-09-2006 12:22 AM

[QUOTE=adz_18;13591098]holy **** you guys have to check this out!

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDXBRvS7wa0[/url]

Best rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody I've ever seen, and considering they're Korean and can't speak English properly it makes it all the more amazing. yes, there are a few pronunciation errors, but it's trivial in comparison to the performance.

Seriously, you MUST check this out from start to finish. ****ing brilliant.[/QUOTE]

:thumb:

Weemahkabul!

guitarro777 11-13-2006 12:44 PM

Hi people,
I'm a male baritone (female would just be... strange) and I have a three octave range (and yes I do, I am a musician so i know about these things, and my music major opera singer friend tested me) and I was wondering how do you find head voice? I was told that the singer from Muse sings in his head voice a lot. Another favorite of mine is christians worship leader Phil Wickham (who might be unkown to you) but also sings in his head voice a lot. So what is the difference between head and falsetto, and how do I find it? This would be of great help to me, thanks a lot.
-Sergio

BTW I am learning to sing, so although I might have a big range, the higher end sounds not so good, but I am working on it, but I'm trying to learn all I can about singing.

Screamin_Demon_Auz 11-13-2006 04:39 PM

I'm pretty sure you are singing in head voice if your range is 3 octaves. The head voice notes will just be weak now because the muscles that manipulate the cords into head voice are weak. You need some training to build up your muscles to the point of being able to abduct properly into head voice and stay in that setting for however long you need to be (an entire verse of a song, a note or two at a time, etc.) You can also work on singing scales on GOT and making it pretty loud. That, as long as you aren't straining, will strengthen what is called the vocalis muscle which controls the vocal cord weight. If you strengthen that, you will be able to sing stuff in a strong head voice or mix of chest and head.

guitarro777 11-13-2006 06:27 PM

If I sang in my head voice a lot, would it be bad for my vocal chords? Or is it just a matter of practicing and getting that higher range to be strong?

Screamin_Demon_Auz 11-13-2006 06:53 PM

Singing in head voice isn't going to hurt anything. Actually, its better for you to be singing in head because otherwise you are probably straining and pulling up chest which isn't good. You can pull chest voice up BUT you have to have a very good understanding of vocal anatomy and the correct way to push down (its taught in Melissa Cross's Zen of Screaming DVD; she calls it dump...you can probably figure it out by the name).

Just do as many exercises as you can to build up strength. I'm not really for illegal downloading of vocal programs, but i'm sure you can find enough stuff on eMule if you don't have any way to take lessons.

Merkaba 11-14-2006 04:28 AM

YOu need to do the rudiments. The boring stuff. If youre a baritone, youre gonna be near head at middle C on the piano. Certainly not chest voice. Maybe a "mid" voice but nothing lower. I would say any baritone would be in head by E. Baritone by definition is really NOT gonna get to the next B without straining. I would say around the G or A above middle C youre gonna start working around your falsetto break.

Noone is set in stone but this is a good place to start. Your lower falsetto can be very much like head. Just pay attention to the buzz at middle C. Middle C should be a strong lovely note for a baritone. Sing it and feel that buzz and tension. The "true voice" mechanism has your cords coming together in waves in particular shapes and speeds. Over a hundred per second. when you get to head voice youre still doing this just at higher speed So pay attention to the feeling and "buzz" or "ring" (which is the resonance of the vibratory pattern, and overtones, harmonics, etc) of this mechanism at middle C so you'll know whether or not youre feeling and hearing the same type of thing when you go up to G or A so you'll know that youre in head. You can't really sing falsetto early. Its not gonna happen. But you will have to relax and feel a since of letting go, "rolling up" or "flipping" into head voice. Its not the same feeling of straight out like mid and chest voice is. Some people skip over head voice because they can get this to happen, and you have to work to trick yourself into it. I don't think youre covering three octaves without access to your head voice unless you've got a hell of a falsetto. Remember three octaves of range is at least touching four octaves. Not just being able to sing three D's. But we've been over that before when people start saying "i've got five octaves" because they can sing into the fifth octave on a piano or something.

Falsetto is a result of pulling the cords thinner and not being able to keep them together vibrating in the wave. Remember to get a higher pitch your cords are thinning out and tightening in order to get this. So when you break into falsetto you've reached the end of your normal true voice mechanism(hopefully) and your cords are beeing pulled so much they cant stay together so the air is kinda cutting off the sides like a whistle, instead of making the cords wave. You will feel a difference and you will feel a bit more open. The sound is a tad more airy and the typical "girly" sound that guys make, i.e. Beegees or Prince.

Remember to think about the balloon. When you blow it up and pinch and pull the end to make it whistle and whine in various pitches. Thats basically how your cords are doing. And about the same relative thickness actually. [url]http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219911[/url]
Merkabas Voice-Help Hotline - Music & Musician Forums

guitarro777 11-14-2006 03:42 PM

Yeah I'm counting falsetto as part of my range though in this case. So I can sing 4 E's in this case the last E being falsetto. You're explanation worked well for me, also my friend sat down with me and gave me a voice lesson, and that really helped out a lot with figuring out head voice, and how to get into it and mix it and all that fun stuff. It's fun just to work on it and trying to figure things out.

Merkaba 11-14-2006 05:24 PM

[QUOTE=guitarro777;13628788]Yeah I'm counting falsetto as part of my range though in this case. So I can sing 4 E's in this case the last E being falsetto. You're explanation worked well for me, also my friend sat down with me and gave me a voice lesson, and that really helped out a lot with figuring out head voice, and how to get into it and mix it and all that fun stuff. It's fun just to work on it and trying to figure things out.[/QUOTE]

Cool beans. Yea singing should be fun. If youre having fun, eventually you will get your voice mapped out and know your limits in every register. That and being able to practice where youre not being judged so that you can miss notes over and over again until you find yourself. This is really important, unless youre one of those rare people who truly truly truly dont give a crap and don't tense up or change when bad vocals are practiced. This is rare.

Yea, most alternative and rock singers add falsetto as part of the range. I agree, as long as its usable. I can squeak out all kinds of stuff especially if I warm up for a long time and keep at it. But I dont consider that part of my range. I had thought about working on my whistle and just melding it in right after my highest comfortable falsetto but whistle isnt too natural for me and would take crazy practice which I can't find time to do now with working two jobs. In classical and operatic singing falsetto isnt included unless of course youre going for a "countertenor" position or something like that I guess, which often times arent even used. I like classical singing as well. Keep at it man. Post a sample if you like/can.

La Revolucion 11-14-2006 07:47 PM

It is also possible to go through your breaks into head and falsetto and create one streamlined voice. It takes practice and stuff though, so yeah.

guitarro777 11-14-2006 11:16 PM

Yeah, I'll try post up a clip of me soon. It'll sound not so good haha, but at least it will help me to hear what I need to work on from you guys. And yes, I am trying to figure out singing through my breaks and mixing chest and head and all that good stuff. The hard part is sounding good while doing it. I'm having trouble singing loud and with a bit of breath control as well, but I just keep practicing that. What are some examples of people who mix chest and head, that would help me just to hear and understand what I am doing, and also give me ideas on what I can do. Is Bono a good example on this, like on "Without or Without You?"

guitarro777 11-20-2006 12:38 AM

[QUOTE=La Revolucion;13630549]It is also possible to go through your breaks into head and falsetto and create one streamlined voice. It takes practice and stuff though, so yeah.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of that, any tips on that?

Merkaba 11-20-2006 12:43 PM

[QUOTE=guitarro777;13662490]Speaking of that, any tips on that?[/QUOTE]
[url]http://sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5510425#post5510425[/url]

glisses are a big key

Tang. 11-20-2006 09:52 PM

Do you think its possible to just not have a good singing voice?

Merkaba 11-21-2006 07:45 AM

[QUOTE=Tang.;13668454]Do you think its possible to just not have a good singing voice?[/QUOTE]

No cause:
1. "good" is relative to:
2. what style of music you want to do

In other words it depends on what you want to sing, and nowadays, Who you want to sound like. (noone else I hope) Now some people are born with problems, thats different.
:)

guitarro777 11-21-2006 07:59 PM

Yeah, like some singers that sound great in screamo rock would obviously not sound good in opera haha, imagine that. Also, if your voice is not "that great" usually your engineer will turn your voice down in the mix of a recording haha. So either way, if you practice and just sing it won't hurt.

La Revolucion 11-21-2006 10:55 PM

Right. How's your mixed voice coming along?

Eliminator 11-21-2006 11:02 PM

omg how do i sound like kelly clarkson