Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Archives (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Beat your kids! (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=470484)

coheneran 05-24-2006 03:19 PM

[QUOTE=IdioticJester]The mother. After hearing about the incident, the father started spanking the kid too, and he's much better.[/QUOTE]

You mean that by beating him, he's become responsible and able to recognize and prevent himself from doing a selfish act? Or, more likely, is he scared sh[COLOR="Black"]itless[/COLOR] to do anything he thinks might get him beaten?

Jharaski 05-24-2006 03:20 PM

[QUOTE=The Tway]don't raise kids who refused to listen to me by showing myself to be a subhuman neanderthal who can't communicate with language and just has to resort to hitting things.[/QUOTE]

What if they act out and don't respond to other discipline? I was brought up right, but I didn't always listen till I got hit. Then I learned.

Jharaski 05-24-2006 03:21 PM

[QUOTE=coheneran]You mean that by beating him, he's become responsible and able to recognize and prevent himself from doing a selfish act? Or, more likely, is he scared sh[COLOR="Black"]itless[/COLOR] to do anything he thinks might get him beaten?[/QUOTE]

The latter. But now he knows not to do it. As he grows up, he'll learn that he deserved it and what he did was not right. Unless he's a little retard or something.

coheneran 05-24-2006 03:22 PM

[QUOTE=IdioticJester]And sometimes children need to be degraded if they do not respond to other discipline. There are far worse things that can happen to them than a little smack.[/QUOTE]

That's an empty statement. By that logic, we should use thumbscrews to stop toddlers from sucking their thumbs, because "there are far worse things that can happen to them."

FVG27 05-24-2006 03:22 PM

[QUOTE=coheneran]Yes it is. There's no such thing as a "little spanking". Even if it's not that painful, [B]it's humiliating and it's degrading[/B]. Parents and teachers are in a position of power and responsibility, and to abuse that power on someone so vulnerable and inexperienced is plain wrong. Parenting and violence should not go hand in hand.[/QUOTE]
That's the idea. The idea of discipline is not to make the child feel happy. It's supposed to humiliate them and make them feel bad because they've done wrong. What argument do you have? You've never experienced it. it's not that bad. How many times do we have to say we turned out alright? You're thinking of extremes and it's not extreme. A smack on the hand is not emotionally scarring. It's not always neccessary but sometimes a child needs to know where they stand.

Reaganista 05-24-2006 03:22 PM

[QUOTE]What if they act out and don't respond to other discipline? I was brought up right, but I didn't always listen till I got hit. Then I learned.[/QUOTE]
so you had bad parents. not my problem, take it up with them.

coheneran 05-24-2006 03:23 PM

[QUOTE=IdioticJester]The latter. But now he knows not to do it. As he grows up, he'll learn that he deserved it and what he did was not right. Unless he's a little retard or something.[/QUOTE]

But he doesn't understand WHY, so he hasn't really learned. If I memorize the answers to a maths test and then pass it with full marks, have I learned anything? No, I didn't.

Jharaski 05-24-2006 03:23 PM

[QUOTE=coheneran]That's an empty statement. By that logic, we should use thumbscrews to stop toddlers from sucking their thumbs, because "there are far worse things that can happen to them."[/QUOTE]
Thumbsucking doesn't hurt anybody and doesn't warrent punishment. Getting hit doesn't cause any psychological harm in a loving household. In an abusive home, yes, but not in a loving one. I dare you to prove otherwise with FACTS.

Jharaski 05-24-2006 03:24 PM

[QUOTE=The Tway]so you had bad parents. not my problem, take it up with them.[/QUOTE]

I had good parents. So any parent whose kids doesn't always listen to them is a bad parent?

[quote]But he doesn't understand WHY, so he hasn't really learned. If I memorize the answers to a maths test and then pass it with full marks, have I learned anything? No, I didn't.[/quote]

Any other forms of discipline will make children understand any more?

lfantwister 05-24-2006 03:25 PM

[QUOTE]Thumbsucking doesn't hurt anybody and doesn't warrent punishment. Getting hit doesn't cause any psychological harm in a loving household. In an abusive home, yes, but not in a loving one. I dare you to prove otherwise with FACTS.[/QUOTE]

hey buddy didn't you look at those links on the other page. I posted two very good proofs that it can cause psychological harm

Reaganista 05-24-2006 03:25 PM

[QUOTE]
I had good parents[/QUOTE]
you just told me they beat you.

no wonder you hate freedom, you're some kind of masochist.

FVG27 05-24-2006 03:26 PM

[QUOTE=The Tway]so you had bad parents. not my problem, take it up with them.[/QUOTE]
It's obviously not bad parenting if the child turned out alright.

[QUOTE]But he doesn't understand WHY, so he hasn't really learned. If I memorize the answers to a maths test and then pass it with full marks, have I learned anything? No, I didn't.[/QUOTE]
When a child is young, whether they get shouted at or hit for doing something wrong all they know is that they've done something wrong and not to do it again. They don't know why, it's just wrong. As they grow up they understand and they learn why things are wrong and right, they make their own decisions and don't need to be punished anymore, they make their own mistakes.

Jharaski 05-24-2006 03:27 PM

[QUOTE=The Tway]you just told me they beat you.

no wonder you hate freedom, you're some kind of masochist.[/QUOTE]

I was disciplined with a smack on the arm or leg to show me that what I was doing was wrong. Only when I did bad things though, severely acting up and not listening to what they said. But after being hit, I stopped.

RouteOne 05-24-2006 03:27 PM

[QUOTE=coheneran]Yes it is. There's no such thing as a "little spanking". Even if it's not that painful, it's humiliating and it's degrading. Parents and teachers are in a position of power and responsibility, and to abuse that power on someone so vulnerable and inexperienced is plain wrong. Parenting and violence should not go hand in hand.[/QUOTE]
I really don't see some taps on the butt as violence, I really don't.

Some mild, rare spanks will teach the kid things that a parent that is too soft and hands off won't.

coheneran 05-24-2006 03:28 PM

[QUOTE=Herbert_da_fish]That's the idea. The idea of discipline is not to make the child feel happy. It's supposed to humiliate them and make them feel bad because they've done wrong. What argument do you have? You've never experienced it. it's not that bad. How many times do we have to say we turned out alright? You're thinking of extremes and it's not extreme. A smack on the hand is not emotionally scarring. It's not always neccessary but sometimes a child needs to know where they stand.[/QUOTE]

I've been beaten. My parents were stressed out (this was when we were still living in Israel) and unhappy, and I was a little git. Once we emigrated from Israel, my parents became happier, they stopped beating me (not that it was a common thing in the first place), I was happier and looking back on it now, I started acting like a "good little boy" once we moved away. I guess in my case, my behaviour depended on my parents' behaviour.

FVG27 05-24-2006 03:28 PM

[QUOTE=IdioticJester]I was disciplined with a smack on the arm or leg to show me that what I was doing was wrong. Only when I did bad things though, severely acting up and not listening to what they said. But after being hit, I stopped.[/QUOTE]
Precisely.

Reaganista 05-24-2006 03:28 PM

[QUOTE]It's obviously not bad parenting if the child turned out alright.[/QUOTE]

he didn't turn out right he's got a rick santorum avatar.

[QUOTE]I was disciplined with a smack on the arm or leg to show me that what I was doing was wrong. Only when I did bad things though, severely acting up and not listening to what they said. But after being hit, I stopped.[/QUOTE]

If I were you I would sue them.

RouteOne 05-24-2006 03:28 PM

it seems to me that the ones opposed to spanking kids ar ethe ones that were [I]beaten,[/I] not spanked. They are two different things.

lfantwister 05-24-2006 03:29 PM

[QUOTE]When a child is young, whether they get shouted at or hit for doing something wrong all they know is that they've done something wrong and not to do it again. They don't know why, it's just wrong. As they grow up they understand and they learn why things are wrong and right, they make their own decisions and don't need to be punished anymore, they make their own mistakes.[/QUOTE]

That's not right. Kids should understand why things are wrong when they are getting punished for them so they can realise that its not just arbitrary violence being inflicted on them. Cause that will really screw them up. You say when they grow up they can make their own decisions, but honestly kids are constatnly making decisions and they should be aware of the repercussions and morals associated with them as soon as possible.

[QUOTE]It's obviously not bad parenting if the child turned out alright.[/QUOTE]
thats false

Jharaski 05-24-2006 03:29 PM

[QUOTE=The Tway]he didn't turn out right he's got a rick santorum avatar.[/QUOTE]

I just don't like the other guy. Santorum is a douche too.

FVG27 05-24-2006 03:30 PM

[QUOTE=coheneran]I've been beaten. My parents were stressed out (this was when we were still living in Israel) and unhappy, and I was a little git. Once we emigrated from Israel, my parents became happier, they stopped beating me (not that it was a common thing in the first place), I was happier and looking back on it now, I started acting like a "good little boy" once we moved away. I guess in my case, my behaviour depended on my parents' behaviour.[/QUOTE]
[B]That[/B] is bad parenting. [B]That[/B] is losing control. If it's a stable environment and the sanctions are consistent then it's only going to depend on one thing. Whether you do something bad or good.

coheneran 05-24-2006 03:31 PM

[QUOTE=IdioticJester]Thumbsucking doesn't hurt anybody and doesn't warrent punishment. Getting hit doesn't cause any psychological harm in a loving household. In an abusive home, yes, but not in a loving one. I dare you to prove otherwise with FACTS.[/QUOTE]

That's impossible to prove and you know it. And you can't prove that either. You're expecting me to come up with something like "1 in 5 children who are beaten in a loving household don't retain psychological damage." How do you judge that? Don't ask me to source something you couldn't source either.

FVG27 05-24-2006 03:31 PM

[QUOTE=lfantwister]That's not right. Kids should understand why things are wrong when they are getting punished for them so they can realise that its not just arbitrary violence being inflicted on them. Cause that will really screw them up. You say when they grow up they can make their own decisions, but honestly kids are constatnly making decisions and they should be aware of the repercussions and morals associated with them as soon as possible.

thats false[/QUOTE]
How? The purpose of a parent is to bring up their child and that they turn out alright. Bad parenting is where they don't. Please- feel free to expand on your already detailed argument.

RouteOne 05-24-2006 03:32 PM

[b][size="6"]mild Spanking Is Not Beating A Kid.[/size][/b]

FVG27 05-24-2006 03:32 PM

[QUOTE=Mr. Ron][b][size="6"]mild Spanking Is Not Beating A Kid.[/size][/b][/QUOTE]
one two three

Jharaski 05-24-2006 03:33 PM

[QUOTE=coheneran]That's impossible to prove and you know it. And you can't prove that either. You're expecting me to come up with something like "1 in 5 children who are beaten in a loving household don't retain psychological damage." How do you judge that? Don't ask me to source something you couldn't source either.[/QUOTE]

If you can't prove that spanking doesn't cause problems, then what's wrong with it. I don't need to prove that it DOESN'T to support it. Everyone who I know who was spanked turned out alright. My brother in law and his sisters were spanked, and they're terrific and nonviolent people now. I was spanked and I'm not some warped freak. Same with my friends.

RouteOne 05-24-2006 03:34 PM

[QUOTE=Herbert_da_fish]one two three[/QUOTE]
It's like syaing a pillow fight is the equivalent to a boxing match.

coheneran 05-24-2006 03:35 PM

[QUOTE=Herbert_da_fish]It's obviously not bad parenting if the child turned out alright.

When a child is young, whether they get shouted at or hit for doing something wrong all they know is that they've done something wrong and not to do it again. They don't know why, it's just wrong. As they grow up they understand and they learn why things are wrong and right, they make their own decisions and don't need to be punished anymore, they make their own mistakes.[/QUOTE]

I know loads of children (some of them toddlers) who wouldn't hurt a fly, let alone tease another child or whine for candy, and I know most of their parents well. Pacifist parents whose voices I've only heard raised at demonstrations. You're wrong.

Reaganista 05-24-2006 03:36 PM

[QUOTE=Mr. Ron][b][size="6"]mild Spanking Is Not Beating A Kid.[/size][/b][/QUOTE]

yeah it actually is

Jharaski 05-24-2006 03:36 PM

[QUOTE=coheneran]I know loads of children (some of them toddlers) who wouldn't hurt a fly, let alone tease another child or whine for candy, and I know most of their parents well. Pacifist parents whose voices I've only heard raised at demonstrations. You're wrong.[/QUOTE]

Not all kids are perfect, simple as that.