Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   History (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Open Discussion (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531896)

unknownsoldier12 07-27-2007 11:18 AM

it would be extremely easy, but probably off site, unfortunately

TheClap 07-27-2007 11:21 AM

This Clique of 30 or so people isn't exclusive, they will talk to you and let you in a little bit, as far as it goes to joining it.

If your a girl, you automatically get in.

If your a boy, you have to prove yourself.

Personally it is ridiculous, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a clique as much as E-buddies.

As far as GD goes, I just think you need to ban a few "special" users.

TheClap 07-27-2007 11:34 AM

Any girl who has made it known that she is one has been automatically accepted.

But that doesn't mean they aren't cool. They're all cool chicks, but you have to admit that people on here go crazy for teh ladies.

anal gravy 07-27-2007 11:36 AM

no need for discussion

some faggot users like to cause trouble because they are bored and have nothing else to do in their lives but annoy jeremy ferwerda

exodus 07-27-2007 11:37 AM

[QUOTE=TheClap;15036446]
As far as GD goes, I just think you need to ban a few "special" users.[/QUOTE]

l a wl because less we forget, online internet buddies are so cool,

these cyber street groups can be a bit crude but how can we blame them? The only chances of sunshine they recieve is when they get off the bus while walking towards the building of their weekly chess club meetings. More blame should be on deprivation of fresh air than pure mental retardation :D

dei 07-27-2007 11:38 AM

[QUOTE=Wish;15036357]The same applies with the racism thing. I said I'd clear it up and I haven't seen a whole lot.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to report things in there, but things never get fixed. It only leads to flames from Iscariot, Chance, and some other peoples.

I think I should a moderator. Seriously. I've done some bad/dumb things in the past here on MX and overall I'm an unpleasant person, which means I'd be less hesitant to delete things because I don't have a reputation to destroy.

anal gravy 07-27-2007 11:38 AM

oh and mods give out free big avatars because they hang out in irc/skype/icq/vent/ts

Jude 07-27-2007 11:46 AM

I would be a good moderator because I would hand out bans for spam and stupidity left and right, except that I don't want to devote that time to MX so....

anal gravy 07-27-2007 11:48 AM

id ban everyone and delete all the threads for fun

and then leave

Black Ink 07-27-2007 11:54 AM

Make GD, Sports, Movies and Politics pay for access. $5 flat fee and that'll give it "purpose."

here comes the bird flu 07-27-2007 11:56 AM

we should have our own special forum.

Jude 07-27-2007 11:57 AM

[QUOTE=Black Ink;15036559]Make GD, Sports, Movies and Politics pay for access. $5 flat fee and that'll give it "purpose."[/QUOTE]

That'll make it so nobody posts in there.

Kage 07-27-2007 12:17 PM

Please don't merge Entertainment with General. I can't stand the pit and the last thing I need is for the Pit clique morons to infest the quality of the Video Games / Movies forum.

I was hoping we could wait out these idiots who have taken over the Pit but it doesn't seem like it's happening. I think you need to take great steps towards figuring out a way to keep Chad and related trouble-makers out of the forum. Anyone who is purposefully crashing a server you have set up deserves harsh action.

Also, this has been said before but there need to be mods implemented who don't care about getting flamed and hassled to all hell for actually enforcing the rules. There need to be mods who delete any threads that decay into "lawl fukk u fag" posts and circle jerks for the regs.

unknownsoldier12 07-27-2007 12:18 PM

[QUOTE=Kage;15036626]

Also, this has been said before but there need to be mods implemented who don't care about getting flamed and hassled to all hell for actually enforcing the rules. There need to be mods who delete any threads that decay into "lawl fukk u fag" posts and circle jerks for the regs.[/QUOTE]

this

I don't think i could possibly stress this enough

Insomniac20k 07-27-2007 12:30 PM

Maybe you could make the pit again and make it 18 and up, and closed off to people with less that 1000 posts or something. Basically leave it the way GD is right now.

Then actually enforce the rules in GD.

Hababi 07-27-2007 12:45 PM

Possible solutions:

1) [B]Forum for select posters[/B]
You know, the cool people, like your's truly.
Upside: Keep out spammers, elevate level of discussion
Downside: Chad will hack accounts (because people are dumb enough to continually put themselves in positions where this happens), and it may increase spam in other forums (though decent mods can combat this)

Also with that, mods or admins would have to go to the trouble of activating users' access to the forum.

2) Delete the sucker altogether
Upside: Reduce strain on server, less trouble all around
Downside: May result in more spam elsewhere, also a lot of good users who post almost exclusively in the pit (John, Tess, etc.) would be left out in the lurch

3) Open forum but mods (and/or select users) create threads
Upside: Everyone gets access, but no flame/racist threads, etc. easier to keep track of spam and spammers.
Downside: Quality of threads??? I mean, I am the king of :cool: threads, and I could make plenty of recommendations, but it'd slow down things.

4) Paid access
Plus side: Basically same as number 1, except no one would pay
Downside: No one would pay

Personally, I think number 3 is the best option, so number three bolded:

[B][SIZE=10]Open forum but only mods (and/or select users)are able to create threads
Also, users are by default allowed access, but that access can be turned off without an overall ban, as punishment for bad behavior
[/SIZE][/B]

[QUOTE]
I would be a good moderator because I would hand out bans for spam and stupidity left and right, except that I don't want to devote that time to MX so....[/QUOTE]

Also I'd be afraid that you'd go :nazi: on me for something ^_^

ImusInTheMorning 07-27-2007 12:47 PM

The pit will always be the pit no matter what ridiculous rules you try to enforce.

The pit has been the exact same for 6 years regardless of any ridiculous rules you've tried to enforce.

Stop sh[size=2]itting[/size] your pants about the pit every 6 months as if it's ever going to change.

Hababi 07-27-2007 12:49 PM

[QUOTE=ImusInTheMorning;15036716]The pit will always be the pit no matter what ridiculous rules you try to enforce.

The pit has been the exact same for 6 years regardless of any ridiculous rules you've tried to enforce.

Stop sh[size=2]itting[/size] your pants about the pit every 6 months as if it's ever going to change.[/QUOTE]

Back in 01 and 02 the pit was a cool place. It's only intermittently cool now.

ImusInTheMorning 07-27-2007 12:51 PM

[QUOTE=Serenity;15036719]Back in 01 and 02 the pit was a cool place. It's only intermittently cool now.[/QUOTE]Okay, 5 years.

Hababi 07-27-2007 12:51 PM

[QUOTE=Shell;15036721]Maybe you have to have a certain post count in order to be able to start a new thread.

Along with that, I'd keep post count disabled in the pit.[/QUOTE]

The problem is a lot of really crappy posters have really high post counts. We need to be concerned with quality, not quantity :o

I have to :lol: at the fact that people have singled out my join date as a MAJOR ISSUE. Really, grow up :\

[QUOTE]
Okay, 5 years.
[/QUOTE]

It's been cool at times since then, sometimes with greater frequency than others. The problem is that we went from a small community where everyone knew everyone to a really large community, where loser code-kids with non existent personal lives (Klown, Chad) waste their time getting their lulz.

Jude 07-27-2007 12:53 PM

I'm telling you guys, mods help and all that but the real problem is that all the funny people have mostly stopped posting.

And PNWI/Video games etc. are still good but there isn't that much activity there and the topics are obviously limited.

Iscariot 07-27-2007 12:54 PM

[QUOTE=mx;15036015]So right now General Discussion isn't any fun for people who aren't in a select clique of 30 or so users. The forum is filled with inside jokes, incredibly weird threads, and hacking, racism, and junk.[/quote]

inside jokes, weird threads, light racism (it's all in good fun and no one has really been offended as far as i know, though dei would probably attest otherwise) and junk have always been a part of the pit

the hacking bit yeah that's not cool

[quote]Quite honestly, I don't want to keep a forum like this. I think the site would be better off without it. But rather than deleting it entirely, which I am tempted to do, I'd like to open up the discussion.[/quote]

deleting it won't do anyone any good remember last time the pit was deleted and everyone just spammed classifieds instead?

[quote]1) What kinds of things would you ideally like to discuss here? Should some of the sports/movies forums be returned to here, or do you like the current format?[/quote]

it should be left as is but problem users should not be allowed to run the forum the way they have

don't you have more resources available now that sputnikmusic belongs to musicnotes? can't you get someone in this new circle to do something about the vulnerabilities that keep being exploited?

[quote]2) Should we have a closed discussion forum for selected members?[/quote]

no that's just ridiculous

[quote]3) What makes you post here? Boredom? Entertainment?[/quote]

both

[quote]4) How do you propose that we deal with the users that ruin it for everyone else?[/quote]

by doing something rather than nothing that would be a good start

banning people for hijacking accounts and screwing with the site instead of rewarding them would be an even better idea

[quote]5) Will re-opening the site forum help to resolve problems?[/quote]

yes yes yes yes yes

[quote]-----------------------------------------
Note: I know that certain users will jump on the opportunity to insult me, the mods, and fill this thread with swears, lewd pictures, and the like. If this happens this thread will be deleted and the general discussion forum will be in danger of closing. This is not a soap opera, or a playground, I want your honest input.[/QUOTE]

don't delete the thread just delete the problem posts that's not hard there are how many moderators in here and they don't do enough work as it is

Insomniac20k 07-27-2007 12:57 PM

You could give everyone in the pit mod powers. It'd be like giving everyone guns.

At first we'd be shooting at each other nonstop but eventually we'd all be scared to cause problems.

Hababi 07-27-2007 12:58 PM

[QUOTE=Insomniac20k;15036742]You could give everyone in the pit mod powers. It'd be like giving everyone guns.

At first we'd be shooting at each other nonstop but eventually we'd all be scared to cause problems.[/QUOTE]

That's quite possibly the worst solution I've ever heard of :(

Srs M.A.D. doesn't work on internet message boards :\

Oh as to site forum:

[SIZE=10]Re open the site forum, but allow only site forum mods to create threads[/SIZE]

Jude 07-27-2007 12:58 PM

[QUOTE=Insomniac20k;15036742]You could give everyone in the pit mod powers. It'd be like giving everyone guns.

At first we'd be shooting at each other nonstop but eventually we'd all be scared to cause problems.[/QUOTE]

That's actually a really interesting idea.

And what is this "only mods can create threads" crap from zero? Don't listen to him.

But yeah, having a site forum=good idea. MAYBE, just maybe it would encourage people to just bitch instead of hacking.

Well no, probably not, but it's still a generally good idea.

dei 07-27-2007 01:08 PM

[QUOTE=Iscariot;15036736]light racism (it's all in good fun and no one has really been offended as far as i know, though dei would probably attest otherwise)[/QUOTE]

Of course. How do you know no one's been offended? Because they won't come out and say they were offended? We both know that if that were to happen some users (you and Chance come to mind) would only become more racist.

Hababi 07-27-2007 01:08 PM

[QUOTE=Jude;15036754]That's actually a really interesting idea.[/QUOTE]

Yeah most terrible ideas are :p Sorry Insomniac, you're :cool: and all, just that idea is not :\

[QUOTE]
And what is this "only mods can create threads" crap from zero? Don't listen to him.
[/QUOTE]

Mods or approved users and it's pretty much the best solution out there.

[QUOTE]
But yeah, having a site forum=good idea. MAYBE, just maybe it would encourage people to just bitch instead of hacking.
[/QUOTE]

No, it really wouldn't. Idiots will still hack, it'll just encourage the non utterly petulant to not turn utterly petulant. Plus it's pretty orderly. But it's not going to reduce the hackings, d00d, you have some learnings to do about the site :\

[QUOTE=Light Fantastic;15036776]
Hint: Plexi is stil here, adam is coming as he pleases, and I'm still here.[/QUOTE]

Plexi has shown that he can be a good user, Adam is a moron and no one cares about him, and you're...well, you can fill in the rest.

[QUOTE]
plenty of people like me.
[/QUOTE]
yeah people like angry armadillo (who's mad because he never got modded back when he wasn't a total nob) and klown, who's still obsessed with neg repping me for no apparent reason :\

exodus 07-27-2007 01:09 PM

[QUOTE=Light Fantastic;15036800]Actually nobody likes you.. plenty of people like me.

Another forum improvement: ban exodus[/QUOTE]

Mannnnn nice onee, you're pro doode

* Insert applause

SoulSeekerz 07-27-2007 01:10 PM

[QUOTE=Light Fantastic;15036800]Actually nobody likes you.. plenty of people like me.

Another forum improvement: ban exodus[/QUOTE]
Plenty of people like you because they are afraid of you, is what you meant to say.

Iscariot 07-27-2007 01:11 PM

[QUOTE=fauxreal;15036799]Of course. How do you know no one's been offended? Because they won't come out and say they were offended? We both know that if that were to happen some users (you and Chance come to mind) would only become more racist.[/QUOTE]

the best way to dull a weapon is to use it

i'm not racist (for the most part) but i use racist terms because at this point i think putting a taboo on words like ni[size=2]gger[/size] is just adding to the problem it causes fear of retribution and then fear of contact between one color and another