Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Guitar (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bands/Albums/Songs Ahead of Their Time (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481671)

pudding time 07-13-2006 10:49 AM

Bands/Albums/Songs Ahead of Their Time

Well...This thread is to discuss music/musicians that were ahead of thier time. Err...this sounds lame but perhaps it could work.

I shall begin with King Crimson's album Discipline. It seems hard to believe that this was made in the early 80's. Even listening today it sounds fresh and original...like nothing else. The strange blend of obsucre time signatures, complex drumming and guitar arpeggios, Adrian Belew's quirky personality/narratives, and the atonal melodies and solos scattered across the 7 tracks work to form one of the coolest and most intruiging rock records ever. Buy it...you will be impressed. Listen to "Thela Hun Ginjeet".

Alright....

Sham 07-13-2006 10:51 AM

Led Zeppelin

fenderfretfreak 07-13-2006 10:59 AM

Screamo, emo... it shouldnt of been come up with at all, there for its ahead of its time by a longshot.

Krabsworth 07-13-2006 11:01 AM

[QUOTE=Sham]Led Zeppelin[/QUOTE]

/slap

JonG 07-13-2006 11:13 AM

Maggot Brain.

Sun Ra 07-13-2006 11:14 AM

Joy Division

Lydisk 07-13-2006 11:15 AM

Supersilent

a band for the future.

thegrimjester90 07-13-2006 11:16 AM

Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

overturned 07-13-2006 11:21 AM

Whoever wrote the [I]Big Break[/I] theme.

JoshIsNumber3 07-13-2006 11:42 AM

Marty McFly played some futuristic stuff in the 50s.

Royd Rage 07-13-2006 11:54 AM

hendrix was a little ahead of his time. it sounds sometimes like he was being limited by the equipment that he had...like was trying to do even more weird things than he was already doing...

but down to the nitty gritty,this thread is something that can be done without.

Grant 07-13-2006 11:58 AM

[QUOTE]I shall begin with King Crimson's album Discipline. It seems hard to believe that this was made in the early 80's. Even listening today it sounds fresh and original...like nothing else. The strange blend of obsucre time signatures, complex drumming and guitar arpeggios, Adrian Belew's quirky personality/narratives, and the atonal melodies and solos scattered across the 7 tracks work to form one of the coolest and most intruiging rock records ever. Buy it...you will be impressed. Listen to "Thela Hun Ginjeet".[/QUOTE]

Finally, a Crimson fan on this board! [I]Discipline[/I] is a fantastic album, worth checking out, especially if you're a Talking Heads/King Crimson fan.

JoshIsNumber3 07-13-2006 12:00 PM

I've always been a Crimson/Fripp fan :upset:

pudding time 07-13-2006 12:52 PM

To keep this going: Mahavishnu Orchestra

The most intense music that could ever be conceived of as jazz. Well maybe except John Zorn's work like Naked City. Anway MO could be brutal, elegant, funky...whatever. And whatever they did they did well. Their first two albums are both jazz fusion classics "The Inner Mounting Flame" and "Birds of Fire" but you'd be hard-pressed even today to find a group with more passion in their playing than Mahavishnu Orchestra.

POLISH SAUSAGE 07-13-2006 01:15 PM

boyz 2 men

Amit 07-13-2006 01:34 PM

[QUOTE=pudding time]To keep this going: Mahavishnu Orchestra

The most intense music that could ever be conceived of as jazz. Well maybe except John Zorn's work like Naked City. Anway MO could be brutal, elegant, funky...whatever. And whatever they did they did well. Their first two albums are both jazz fusion classics "The Inner Mounting Flame" and "Birds of Fire" but you'd be hard-pressed even today to find a group with more passion in their playing than Mahavishnu Orchestra.[/QUOTE]

i'm liking your two choices so far :-)

shakti could be considered far ahead of their time (and still ahead to this day!) since they didn't get much commercial success in the late 70s

SRVFan2005 07-13-2006 01:38 PM

I was gonna do my usual King Crimson rant but I was beat to the punch.

The band is simply amazing and [i]Discipline[/i] is their best album in my opinion.

Also, a band that was ahead of their time was The Who. I mean just listen to [i]Quadrophenia[/i] and it's pretty obvious.

Two bands of my generation, that I think will be revered as a head of their time is Tool and Radiohead. They just have some of the most insane ideas that most people really can't appreciate until they really reflect on it.

Stunt Guitar 07-13-2006 01:39 PM

[QUOTE=Atman]i'm liking your two choices so far :-)

shakti could be considered far ahead of their time (and still ahead to this day!) since they didn't get much commercial success in the late 70s[/QUOTE]

I don't think that Shakti really cares about commercial succes, though.

And my choices would be Bumblefoot and Mattias IA Eklundh.

Amit 07-13-2006 01:40 PM

[QUOTE=Stunt Guitar]I don't think that Shakti really cares about commercial succes, though.[/QUOTE]

oh i definitely agree

but it's a measuring stick for "ahead of their time-ness"

Stunt Guitar 07-13-2006 01:48 PM

[QUOTE=Atman]oh i definitely agree

but it's a measuring stick for "ahead of their time-ness"[/QUOTE]

aaah like that.

I bought "A Handful Of Beauty" and "Shakti" a few weeks ago.

Gotta love em ^_^

David_Gilmour 07-13-2006 01:52 PM

urrr, Dark Side of the Moon anyone?

Amit 07-13-2006 01:55 PM

err considering it's one of the best selling albums ever

no

Krabsworth 07-13-2006 01:56 PM

[QUOTE=JoshIsNumber3]I've always been a Crimson/Fripp fan :upset:[/QUOTE]

Same here....

David_Gilmour 07-13-2006 01:57 PM

[QUOTE=Atman]err considering it's one of the best selling albums ever

no[/QUOTE]

doesn't matter on how many albums it's sold, it still makes it an album ahead of its time, which it was

Amit 07-13-2006 01:58 PM

then you're using a really unconventional definition dude

i think dsotm was just perfect for its time

i would think actual pink floyd fans would vote for meddle as being the most forward thinking anyway

7 skrang 07-13-2006 01:58 PM

anacrusis. cynic.

Krabsworth 07-13-2006 01:58 PM

[QUOTE=David_Gilmour]doesn't matter on how many albums it's sold, it still makes it an album ahead of its time, which it was[/QUOTE]

How is that?

Kwash2 07-13-2006 02:00 PM

[QUOTE=fenderfretfreak]Screamo, emo... it shouldnt of been come up with at all, there for its ahead of its time by a longshot.[/QUOTE]
Way to, at the same time, not make any sense, AND beat a dead horse.

purple_hazer 07-13-2006 02:01 PM

pink floyd in general, they were some of the few pioneers (that i know of) to try to have a "Dolby 5.1"esque sound system at their shows to completely wrap their music around the audience, quite ahead of their time for being in 71'-73' or whatever

Kwash2 07-13-2006 02:02 PM

I don't think you guys really understand the phrase "Ahead of it's time."

It means like, something that wasn't recieved well by the public when it was first released, but later was hailed as good.

IE, Fauvism, early cubism in art.