Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bass Guitar (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Casual - Once more with feeling (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571968)

FunkMetalBass 08-09-2012 12:07 PM

Gais

I installed the truss rod, made a truss rod cover, and glued on the fretboard. I totally need to take pics for y'all tonight.

Kobaia 08-11-2012 11:02 PM

[QUOTE=gaslight;18927901]So what you up to in LA?[/QUOTE]

Working as an After School program tutor.

Tomorrow i'm playing a show opening up for Karmin. With an artist named Jess Delgado.

Playing with a friend named Adam Lasher. He's Carlos Santana's nephew, has also played with Jeff Beck, and has a gig opening up for Disturbed and Twisted Sister at the Playboy Mansion.

Working on saving up for a bass i'm having built by Chris Stambaugh

Working on my 'analog dubstep board'.

Still writing for Bass Musicians Magazine.

uh.... you know...

Living the dream.

gaslight 08-12-2012 04:22 AM

Awesome man that sounds really cool :).

BenJammin 08-12-2012 03:53 PM

Chris' stuff is the shit. Still rocking mine, 4+ years later.

Convectuoso 08-12-2012 06:17 PM

[QUOTE=FunkMetalBass;18928446]This pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. I thought Hathaway pulled off the job amazingly well and, tbh, didn't look half bad in the leather suit.

My biggest beef with the voice used for Bane was just that it was hard to understand, though Nolan's version of Bane is far better than in previous Batman films where he was just a juiced up meat-head controlled by Poison Ivy and lacked any depth as a character.

I guess shouldn't be shocked by Hathaway's acting. I think she's proven herself as an actress in other films beyond her Disney days. I liked what she did (other than get topless, that is) in Havoc, even though the movie was only so-so.[/QUOTE]

Hathaway was secks as Catwoman. She's actually one of my favourite female actresses.

If you liked the topless part of Havoc, check out Love and Other Drugs. She ain't afraid to whip them out on more than one occasion.

Az_Holl 08-14-2012 10:02 AM

[QUOTE=Convectuoso;18934906]Hathaway was secks as Catwoman. She's actually one of my favourite female actresses.

If you liked the topless part of Havoc, check out Love and Other Drugs. She ain't afraid to whip them out on more than one occasion.[/QUOTE]
hey bud luckily i never have to see that movie because i just looked it up on google images and now the best part is over :p

but anyway, i was goin to see if you had any contact details? Not really sure why... part nostalgia, part desperate loneliness i assume

Az_Holl 08-14-2012 10:13 AM

and i bought this the other day:

[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/Atomicant/guitar/P8140447.jpg[/IMG]

fender blacktop jaguar body..... also an anne McCaffrey book haha

and this one with the squier

[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/Atomicant/guitar/P8140445.jpg[/IMG]

im going to get a custom neck made for the jag when i get some money :D

gaslight 08-14-2012 12:02 PM

The Blacktop series is pretty interesting, I'd like the chance to try the basses.

Az_Holl 08-14-2012 10:55 PM

yeah i was going to just put together my own guitar from parts, but that jag was pretty much everything a wanted (apart from the neck :p)

Should be good

gaslight 08-16-2012 06:19 AM

When I piss away money on basses again (after a USA Deluxe Jazz V comes my way) I was entertaining the idea of getting one of the Blacktops and turning it into a 3 pick-up config for heavy music. I play less heavy music as time goes by though :(.

Lack of 24 fret necks really shits me about Fenders.

FunkMetalBass 08-16-2012 09:38 AM

[quote=gaslight;18936466]When I piss away money on basses again (after a USA Deluxe Jazz V comes my way) I was entertaining the idea of getting one of the Blacktops and turning it into a 3 pick-up config for heavy music. I play less heavy music as time goes by though :(.

Lack of 24 fret necks really shits me about Fenders.[/quote]

Same, although it's less about actually wanting a 24th fret as it is about wanting the cutaway, because it provides easier access to the 21st and 22nd frets, which I do actually use with some degree of frequency.

That 18th fret, though... I never use that. I should probably just pull it off of my fretboard.

BenJammin 08-16-2012 10:17 AM

I use the full range of my bass. >_> I need to be able to get up to my 24th fret.

FunkMetalBass 08-16-2012 10:37 AM

[quote=BenJammin;18936510]I use the full range of my bass. >_> I need to be able to get up to my 24th fret.[/quote]

Out of curiosity, especially with the fanned frets, how high on the fretboard do you play on your lower BEA (or AEB strings, as I believe they are currently tuned)? If you avoid going past certain frets, is it for tonal reasons or for ergonomic reasons?

BenJammin 08-16-2012 12:29 PM

I don't usually go past my 5th fret on my lowest string and maybe the 7th on the E. it's a mix of tonal and ergonomic reasons. But mostly tonal.

gaslight 08-17-2012 09:05 AM

I don't use the 24th fret in normal playing but for noodling and tapping I really like having them.

For most of my playing if I find myself getting up towards the end of the fretboard it's like a reminder, "Hey, go back and do your job!" haha.

BenJammin 08-17-2012 12:49 PM

In most normal band playing situations, I'd probably not be up that high either, but for jamming and solo play, it's indispensable to have those notes there. I also worked in my highest notes into a lot of the songs I played with my last band, but as one of the primary song writers, I was able to get away with it as it was worked into the writing process.

fatbandit 08-20-2012 09:04 AM

So I'm in a shared house and my room isn't as big as all the space I had at my mum's. My mum's moving to a smaller house, so I now have to reclaim all the shit that's still there and try and organise it all in this place.

So I'm gonna sell my cab, my spare combo and just consolidate into one big 6u rack I can plug straight into my PC for recording, or spare cabs/sound desks for gigs if I ever get a live band again. I'm hoping it'll make me work on creating 'the' tone, and make me play bass some more.

So in light of that, if anyone wants a Roland DB500, Schroeder 1212L, or a Line 6 Pod HD500, let me know! :D

FunkMetalBass 08-20-2012 09:59 AM

To my English and Aussie buddies that drive on the wrong side of the road:

Is the brake pedal to the left or to the right of the acceleration/gas pedal?

Az_Holl 08-21-2012 01:30 AM

brake on the left, accelerator on the right

gaslight 08-21-2012 08:40 AM

We only have roads in the CBD here, everywhere else is just bush track and you can drive on whatever side you like.

But yeah, brake on the left, accelerator on the right. But we call the brake the "slower downer".

FunkMetalBass 08-21-2012 12:57 PM

[quote=gaslight;18938654]But we call the brake the "slower downer".[/quote]

:thumb:

gaslight 08-21-2012 10:00 PM

Which way is it for you guys?

FunkMetalBass 08-22-2012 01:54 PM

It's the same - accelerator on the right, brake on the left, (clutch to the left of the brake if you're driving a stick).

FunkMetalBass 08-22-2012 03:04 PM

I found out that my buddy has access to a CNC router, so I'm going to get some pine today and prep the wood for some experimentation.

Our goal is to make a cheap-wooded 9-string fanned version of the 6-string I'm building.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/KTEvN.jpg[/img]

All-in-all, the wood pieces aren't too complex (bridge, pickup cover, truss rod cover, body, neck), so it'll be interesting to see how it turns out. If it turns out well, we can just save the CAM program and do a proper hardwood version of it at a later date.

BenJammin 08-22-2012 09:27 PM

Sick.

gaslight 08-23-2012 05:24 AM

Nice looking drawing.

FunkMetalBass 08-24-2012 10:36 AM

BTBAM, Periphery, and The Safety Fire doing an England tour. I'm quite jealous of you, Chris.

fatbandit 08-24-2012 03:13 PM

Yeah I has tickets already ;3

Periphery dropped out of the last few shows of summer slaughter do I'm hoping they're still coming over here! D:

fatbandit 08-24-2012 03:30 PM

On the other hand you guys have The Chariot, letlive and Every Time I Die later this year. What a fucking tour. Totally jizzworthy!

One Groovin Clown 08-28-2012 01:45 PM

I totally forgot this place existed.

Scary enough, some of the posters form back on the day are still here.

Sup?