Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Archives (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Band Profile: Minor Threat (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228244)

NewKindofArmy03 08-23-2004 04:44 PM

i had a sub teacher who saw them, danzig era misfits, and DK with jello. you would never expect her to be into that stuff.

DBoons Ghost 08-23-2004 04:44 PM

Never seen Minor Threat. They never played CBGBs as far as I know. I am old enough to have caught them though.

I wasn't really into the "scene" till I saw Bad Brains. It was so in my face I nearly shat myself. The feeling in the room. The way they played. I wish I could take you all back in a time machine. I rarely ever forget the way I felt that day.

Anyway, I tend to ramble in my old age. I wish I had, but nope. Ian was way too cool for NYC.

Let's Chop Cats! 08-23-2004 04:45 PM

I would kill my sister to go back in time for these bands.

gluesniffer 08-23-2004 04:45 PM

[QUOTE=Sk8SkaNJ]Lyle[/QUOTE]

Which albums did Lyle play on? I have Pope On A Rope and it doesn't sound anything like his playing and I can't remeber if it says anything about him in the sleeve of the CD.

Let's Chop Cats! 08-23-2004 04:50 PM

I believe he played their 84-88 era.

[url]http://www.southern.com/southern/band/MEATM/[/url]

Thats the closest thing to a site I found for them. I haven't listened to all the albums, but I know there is a point where he was no longer in the band and you can tell the difference.

DBoons Ghost 08-23-2004 04:50 PM

[QUOTE=NewKindofArmy03]i had a sub teacher who saw them, danzig era misfits, and DK with jello. you would never expect her to be into that stuff.[/QUOTE]

If ya saw me now, you would be surpised at me too. I'm such a fargin yuppy I love it!

Yeah but kids think I'm an idiot. At the Cro-Mags reuinion recently (or it may have been over a year) I was educatin' kids, and I had no choice but to go to the show in my work clothes. I got strange looks. Thankfully I'm a large uptight ginso. While I didn't want to mess up my expensive shoes in the pit, I still got there. Harley aged well. He's a farker for sure.

Yea but us old school fans are out there. Most of us conformed and are yuppy dirtbags, but can't say we weren't there!

:thumb:

Operation Ιvy 08-23-2004 04:51 PM

how old are you?

DBoons Ghost 08-23-2004 05:04 PM

[QUOTE=Operation Ιvy]how old are you?[/QUOTE]

I'm 32.

I was ohh.. Hmmm.. 12 or 13 when I saw Bad Brains. It was 1985? 86? Who remembers such things!

Yea but.. I spent a good 5 years attending hardcore matinees on Sundays at CBGBs. I didn't think it was anything special then. I saw lotsa great bands though.. All the old hardcore bands.. Sick of it All, Agnostic Front, Carnivore, Warzone, Youth of Today, Black Flag, Murphy's Law, Side by Side, Sheer Terror, Cro-Mags, Gorilla Biscuits, Bold, Token Entry.. etc etc.. I could go on.

Who wants to hear an old man ramble though eh? Shows were between 2 and 5 bucks. 3 to 5 bands used to play. No fights. No anger. All love. All unity. Then those bastards from the National Front used to come and try and recruit. Stupid Swervedriver. All their faults! Racism and hate. Infested our scene. Well, that and the record companies. Came in and signed Sick of it All and other bands. It was sad. Then the scene died. I learned a lot. Was fun.

Anyways, bye now! Time for my evening commute. I'll play some hardcore on the way home. I feel all nostalgic and what not. You made me sad. Bastard!

Operation Ιvy 08-23-2004 05:06 PM

Awesome

DOLEMITE 08-23-2004 06:38 PM

thanks for doin this sk8skan. great job

Let's Chop Cats! 08-23-2004 06:40 PM

No problem, it was rather easy.

DOLEMITE 08-23-2004 06:42 PM

you did one other one that was pretty good i think it was the dead kennedys but i might be wrong.

Let's Chop Cats! 08-23-2004 06:43 PM

I did the DK one and Refused one. There's a whole list of bands done by board members in the IMPORTANT thread.

DOLEMITE 08-23-2004 06:45 PM

the dk one was good

JmE 08-23-2004 06:47 PM

[QUOTE=Sk8SkaNJ]I did the DK one and Refused one. There's a whole list of bands done by board members in the IMPORTANT thread.[/QUOTE]

Werd
[url]http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194054[/url]

The greatest resource on the forums. It goes way beyond just the rules.

dislocated214 01-15-2005 10:19 PM

Yeah but Ian hated the term emo when people started calling his bands after Minor Threat "emo". He said it was the stupidest thing he had ever heard.

totalchaos123 01-18-2005 05:58 PM

i don't have any of minor threats music. i was gonna get a varukers cd, should i get minor threats discography instead?

Let's Chop Cats! 01-18-2005 06:00 PM

Yes.

guns_of_brixton 01-18-2005 06:41 PM

nice job :thumb:

CDR_Cool 01-18-2005 06:56 PM

good post dude. repage

KingOfSka 01-18-2005 09:04 PM

nice...minor threat, me and my friend are learning some minor threat songs to cover

him on drums me on guitar

:( no bassist

Anxious 01-18-2005 09:23 PM

[QUOTE=gluesniffer]No it's very uncool becuase now we have these militant a'ssholes running around kicking the s'hit out of anyone with a cigarette or a beer.[/QUOTE]

Drools 01-18-2005 09:37 PM

[QUOTE=JmE]Your review's been added....
Good review, for definitely one of the most influential bands.[/QUOTE]

Added to what?

Let's Chop Cats! 01-18-2005 09:38 PM

The list of Band Profiles. Read the rules thread, there is a whole bunch of them.

Drools 01-18-2005 09:45 PM

Ah ok. Over looked that.

hendrixonpunk 01-19-2005 09:00 PM

minor threat is a good band and it's sad that they never got to release more then an hour of music... i wish i could've seen them... whatever, yeah i have their complete discography and it's awesome. probabably my favourite cd i have

Buzzbomb 04-09-2005 11:30 PM

[QUOTE=Sk8SkaNJ]Ian never ment it to turn into what it is today. He used it more of a metaphor to represent what he stood for at the time. To my knowledge he's not even edge.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure Ian hasn't been doing drugs, alcohol etc. etc.

mike79 04-09-2005 11:57 PM

[QUOTE=DBoon's Ghost]I'm 32.

I was ohh.. Hmmm.. 12 or 13 when I saw Bad Brains. It was 1985? 86? Who remembers such things!

Yea but.. I spent a good 5 years attending hardcore matinees on Sundays at CBGBs. I didn't think it was anything special then. I saw lotsa great bands though.. All the old hardcore bands.. Sick of it All, Agnostic Front, Carnivore, Warzone, Youth of Today, Black Flag, Murphy's Law, Side by Side, Sheer Terror, Cro-Mags, Gorilla Biscuits, Bold, Token Entry.. etc etc.. I could go on.

Who wants to hear an old man ramble though eh? Shows were between 2 and 5 bucks. 3 to 5 bands used to play. No fights. No anger. All love. All unity. Then those bastards from the National Front used to come and try and recruit. Stupid Swervedriver. All their faults! Racism and hate. Infested our scene. Well, that and the record companies. Came in and signed Sick of it All and other bands. It was sad. Then the scene died. I learned a lot. Was fun.

Anyways, bye now! Time for my evening commute. I'll play some hardcore on the way home. I feel all nostalgic and what not. You made me sad. Bastard![/QUOTE]

More stories! From what I read, there were supposedly fights all the time between the different crews of each city? And especially during the late 80s NYHC scene, it was like gangs going at it all the time so much that all the clubs were shut down?

RazorsInTheNight 04-10-2005 01:51 AM

Great band, I bought there dvd yesterday, yet to watch it as of yet...

Macdaddy 04-10-2005 06:06 AM

I was present during the 90's in Brisbane. We had indie-punk scene........was never really that good though cept for the 'gurg.