Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Archives (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Sonic Youth vs. Nirvana vs. Pixies (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286655)

Sam 01-06-2005 08:46 PM

Dinosaur Jr.

I should start my own poll. Much love for Sonic Youth though.

el doctor 01-06-2005 08:50 PM

While I have all kinds of respect for Sonic Youth, I find listening to the Pixies so much more enjoyable.

looozer 01-06-2005 08:51 PM

The Pixies are better than Nirvana. Just ask Kurt.
Sonic Youth were once a really experimental, avant garde type of band, but aren't anymore. To their credit, they are cool people and put on an amazing live show. Despite what you guys think, there is a link between Sonic Youth and Nirvana, just not between them and the Pixies.

Anyway, I guess I'll take Sonic Youth because:
I can't pick Nirvana
They're the most original band of the three
Everyone will vote for the Pixies

Raijo 01-06-2005 08:55 PM

[QUOTE=looozer]The Pixies are better than Nirvana. Just ask Kurt.
Sonic Youth were once a really experimental, avant garde type of band, but aren't anymore. To their credit, they are cool people and put on an amazing live show. Despite what you guys think, there is a link between Sonic Youth and Nirvana, just not between them and the Pixies.

Anyway, I guess I'll take Sonic Youth because:
I can't pick Nirvana
They're the most original band of the three
Everyone will vote for the Pixies[/QUOTE]
Why can't you pick Nirvana?

Master Arkam Kannon 01-06-2005 11:11 PM

[QUOTE=looozer]The Pixies are better than Nirvana. Just ask Kurt.
Sonic Youth were once a really experimental, avant garde type of band, but aren't anymore. [/QUOTE]

they still make really good albums, case and point being murray street and to an extent, sonic nurse.

Renegade of funk 01-06-2005 11:31 PM

Nirvana where pretty much the creators of Grunge, anyone who can make a genere all themselves, has my respect

Renegade of funk 01-06-2005 11:35 PM

"Adding on to previous" If you ever saw Nirvana live you could see and hear the emotion that the band let out, with the multiple power chords, and the pained voice of Cobain.

Lowend 01-06-2005 11:36 PM

i'll take sonic youth over the other two any day.

honkybrewster 01-07-2005 12:30 AM

That was quite possibly the hardest poll I've ever taken on Mx. I ended up voting Nirvana though.

Interstate 01-07-2005 06:01 AM

Pixies

Street Spirit 01-07-2005 09:03 AM

[QUOTE=Renegade of funk]Nirvana where pretty much the creators of Grunge, anyone who can make a genere all themselves, has my respect[/QUOTE]

Yeah that'd be true if Dinosaur Jr, Mudhoney, Green River, Sonic Youth and Pixies never existed.

Zmev 01-07-2005 09:19 AM

[QUOTE=Street Spirit]Yeah that'd be true if Dinosaur Jr, Mudhoney, Green River, Sonic Youth and Pixies never existed.[/QUOTE]

W3rd

looozer 01-07-2005 01:50 PM

[QUOTE=Master Arkam Kannon]they still make really good albums, case and point being murray street and to an extent, sonic nurse.[/QUOTE]
Sonic Nurse is kind of a waste. They have some good songs on there, but it isn't nearly as good as their older stuff. I think it's kind of underachieving for them.

I can't pick Nirvana because I think the other bands are better. Picking Nirvana over the Pixies would be like saying Plato was a better thinker than Socrates.

ps. What does Sonic Youth have to do with grunge?

ImNotCrying 01-07-2005 01:53 PM

i went for the pixies but may have chosen dinosaur jr as being a new listener i immediately recognised the influences they had on nirvana and the pixies as they came first

ImNotCrying 01-07-2005 01:56 PM

nirvana made grunge more commercially successful because all the girls fancied kurt and all the boys wanted to be him, i can remember every single (and i mean every single) girl in my school was in love with him and all the guys walked round with long 'curtains' and nirvana t-shirts cos they thought they 'were' him.

Doctor D. 01-07-2005 01:57 PM

I honestly don't know.........not Nirvana.....screw that.

I like Sonic Youth and The Pixies equally. I really can't choose.

Pixies

ZEROthirtythree 01-07-2005 02:09 PM

Nirvana

Nra4ever_17 01-07-2005 02:10 PM

[QUOTE=Renegade of funk]"Adding on to previous" If you ever saw Nirvana live you could see and hear the emotion that the band let out, with the [B]multiple power chords[/B], and the pained voice of Cobain.[/QUOTE]

I know, that's like the best part of Nirvana.

I voted Nirvana, with SY in second. And to those who don't like Nurse: :evil:

The NPC 01-07-2005 02:15 PM

Hum I could edit the poll to put in Mission of Burma or Pere Ubu, but I'll stick with the program and go with the Pixies.

Rocktimusprime 01-07-2005 02:51 PM

Sonic Youth by far noone makes un holy noise like Sonic Youth does.

RhinoMailman 01-07-2005 04:15 PM

Pixies. I don't see any reason why they would be considered over rated. How can they be over rated if not to many people have heard of them? I love the Pixies. Can't beat Bossanova.

Scuit 01-07-2005 05:48 PM

"The Pixies are better than Nirvana. Just ask Kurt."

I'll be digging him up right now.

The Pixies. Sonic Youth is okay, but they are crappy people (helped Nirvana).

mr_jackalope 01-07-2005 07:04 PM

[QUOTE=RhinoMailman]Pixies. I don't see any reason why they would be considered over rated. How can they be over rated if [I]not to many people have heard of them?[/I] I love the Pixies. Can't beat Bossanova.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

I'm amazed by the fact that people think Pixies or Sonic Youth are un heard-of.

Master Arkam Kannon 01-07-2005 08:12 PM

[QUOTE=Scuit] Sonic Youth is okay, but they are crappy people (helped Nirvana).[/QUOTE]

what are you talking about? how do you know anything about them beig crappy people?

pinkyeti 01-08-2005 11:15 AM

[QUOTE=mr_jackalope]:lol:

I'm amazed by the fact that people think Pixies or Sonic Youth are un heard-of.[/QUOTE]

RhinoMailman probably spoke about the average TRL viewer.

ZaaR 01-08-2005 11:19 AM

Nirvana.

Street Spirit 01-08-2005 11:22 AM

[QUOTE=Scuit]"The Pixies are better than Nirvana. Just ask Kurt."

I'll be digging him up right now.

The Pixies. Sonic Youth is okay, but they are crappy people (helped Nirvana).[/QUOTE]

So did Dinosaur Jr, as did Pixies....doesn't mean people dislike tthem for helping Nirvana out abit. Also, why is Nirvana beating SY? I mean.....how!?

Scuit 01-08-2005 12:16 PM

"how do you know anything about them beig crappy people?"

I was joking. Y'know, saying that they're bad people for helping out Nirvana. Get it? Har?

WhereIsMyMind? 01-10-2005 05:17 AM

Thing is for me:

Sonic Youth are very good, but as good as Sonic Nurse was, it's embarassing to see them lingering about in the background and should have called it a day for different projects 3 or 4 years ago.

Pixies have an incredible talent for making really simple songs sound really complicated and clever. They're well written, and the only reason Frank Black & The Catholics didn't get bigger is that Charles couldn't find a backing band to do justice to his songs.

Nirvana are the two above, just watered down.

SalomeHigher 01-10-2005 10:41 AM

I havn't heard much sonic youth but it strikes me that Pixies are more interesting to listen to and more innovative.

but nirvana had extremely poetic lyrics and a TON of energy.

it's a toss up.