Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Rock & Metal (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Post Rock/Post Metal (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472132)

JamJar 05-30-2006 12:52 PM

Post Rock/Post Metal

I'd been intending to make a post-rock thread for a while now and I think that a thread is really overdue.

From the ghostly soundscapes of Sigur Ros to the uplifting melodies of Explosions in The Sky, Post rock is a genre that a lot of people can enjoy. Many people consider the genre great to relax to and I for one have to agree with that as it is so easy just to sit down with a post rock album and listen. If you are not familiar with the genre, just imagine long brooding songs, usually of about 10+ minutes with rock instruments executed in a classical style. Discuss all things post rock.

Reccomended bands:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Sigur Ros
Explosions In The Sky
A Silver Mt. Zion
Mogwai
Mono
Seascapes of the Interior

dei 05-30-2006 01:02 PM

You're kind of stupid. Bands like The Sea and Cake and Tortoise, which sound nothing like those bands, are considered post-rock too. You might want to edit that list.

Like I said in the other thread, Explosions in the Sky is not relaxing.

Good game, fag.

GenuineImitation 05-30-2006 01:14 PM

What makes a post rock or post metal band different from a normal rock or metal band
(besides the 10+ instrumentals)? My friend said its another name for progressive, but I highly doubt it.

JamJar 05-30-2006 01:23 PM

As quoted from progarchives (It's not prog, but the genre happens to be covered on prog archives):

"using rock instrumentation for non-rock purposes, using guitars as facilitators of timbres and textures rather than riffs and powerchords."

GenuineImitation 05-30-2006 01:24 PM

Sounds interesting. Of the recommended bands, which one is the best to start with?

JamJar 05-30-2006 01:25 PM

Probably Godspeed You! Balck Emperor, Sigur Ros and Explosions In The Sky, those three seem to be the most popular amongst the genre.

GenuineImitation 05-30-2006 01:26 PM

I'll try them out. Thanks...

the2stranger 05-30-2006 01:34 PM

Awesome genre.
very hypnothic and relaxing.

gotta love falling to sleep while playing some post-rock.

BringHomeTheBacon 05-30-2006 01:36 PM

I've been digging a lot of post rock bands lately. My favorites are Sigur Ros (my personal favorite), Godspeed, EITS, and Do Make Say Think. Some of it's good for relaxing, but I think Godspeed is a bit scary to relax to.

Favorite post rock songs-
Explosions in The Sky- Your Hand in Mine
Sigur Ros- Untitled 8
Sigur Ros- Violar Vel Til Loftarasa
Godspeed You! Black Emperor- Providence
Mogwai- Glasgow Mega Snake
Do Make Say Think- When Day Chokes the Night

denboy 05-30-2006 01:37 PM

I think post-rock is all about using the same setup as a rockband, but focusing more on melody and atmosphere than normal rock

My absolute favorite post-rock bands are
Explosions in the sky
El Ten Eleven
And The Samuel Jackson Five

SJ5 have managed to create soundscapes with amazingly catchy beautiful melodies that sounds like nothing I've heard before

the2stranger 05-30-2006 01:41 PM

The JS5 sound nice Kniveboy.
I'll check them out.

denboy 05-30-2006 01:47 PM

Easily Misunderstood is a masterpiece of an album..... (If you manage to find their earlier album same same, but different, don't hesitate to tell me.. Hehe)

Dried Muffin Remnants 05-30-2006 02:14 PM

Absolutely do not start off with GY!BE... they're an acquired taste to say the least. Definitely start out with less electronic bands like Explosions or DMST.

JamJar 05-30-2006 02:18 PM

Lucky that I started off with GY!BE and liked them then. :p. I can see what you mean about them being to an aquired taste. Though it did take me a while to fully appreciate Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven.

denboy 05-30-2006 02:22 PM

I'll just spend 2 seconds whoring out El Ten Eleven again.. Their self titled album is the best "happy" post-rock out there... I dare anyone to listen to their album all the way through without breaking into a smile atleast once

Moses 05-30-2006 02:28 PM

I started off with Sigur Ros' () and Red Sparrow's At the Soundless Dawn.

Txus 05-30-2006 02:32 PM

One of my favorite genres, my top bands are Red Sparowes, Pelican and Explosion In The Sky.

Wintermute 05-31-2006 07:52 AM

Probably an acquired taste for those already into Post-rock, but you should all listen to Thee Silver Mount Zion Memorial Orchestra And Tralala Band. They're closely connected to Godspeed!, sharing several members, but I actually like them more. Recommend in particular the 'Horses in the Sky' album.

I just went to see them live last night, and was completely blown away. Quite a small venue, a local independant thing. The seven band members were fairly tightly packed onto the stage. But good lord did they rule. Two guitars and a drummer who occasionally also played guitar, and a string quartet. Every member of the band provided backing vocals as well.

That sets them apart from Godspeed, who don't use vocals much... Efrim has a very strange voice. Not a good singer in the technical sense, but it fits the music very well.

Recommended! :thumb:

Spiritofmosa 05-31-2006 08:20 AM

i wonder why its called post rock.. i dont see no rock in sigur ros. but of course theres beter response in the rock and metal forum than any other

Kage 05-31-2006 10:53 AM

[QUOTE=Wintermute]Probably an acquired taste for those already into Post-rock, but you should all listen to Thee Silver Mount Zion Memorial Orchestra And Tralala Band. They're closely connected to Godspeed!, sharing several members, but I actually like them more. Recommend in particular the 'Horses in the Sky' album.

I just went to see them live last night, and was completely blown away. Quite a small venue, a local independant thing. The seven band members were fairly tightly packed onto the stage. But good lord did they rule. Two guitars and a drummer who occasionally also played guitar, and a string quartet. Every member of the band provided backing vocals as well.

That sets them apart from Godspeed, who don't use vocals much... Efrim has a very strange voice. Not a good singer in the technical sense, but it fits the music very well.

Recommended! :thumb:[/QUOTE]
I want to see them live so bad. But they're not coming here any time in the foreseeable future. :upset:

Anyway, as a lot of people may know, I'm a Post Rock nut. It's my favorite genre of music basically. I remember stumbling upon an Explosions in the Sky song for the first time, and thinking to myself, "this is the kind of band I've always been looking for." It snowballed from there, and now I'm immersed. :)

Godspeed, to me, is definately the best Post Rock (and probably my all time favorite) band, but I basically like it all.

Lately, I've also been getting into the first wave of Post Rock. What a lot of people may not realize is that the most recognized PR bands are really among the second (or even third) wave of it. At the beginning, it was a different, more jazzy mentality, but still damn good. I recommend everyone check out Bark Psychosis, Tortoise and Slint.

Spiritofmosa 06-09-2006 09:38 PM

i realised there are a couple of great Godspeed you black emperor songs like 'speed garage' in limewire but they are not in any album..

Kage 06-10-2006 01:08 AM

Yeah, they have some enigmatic non-album tracks. They're an album band, though, so the individual tracks aren't quite as poweful as the album. Think about the part in Static where the preacher starts talking about "the godman, the godwoman," etc. It wouldn't be near as powerful if it hadn't come after the powerhouse of Storm.

Listening to Seascapes of the Interior now. Though quite remisicent of Godspeed, they have their own sound, and it is damn good.

Spiritofmosa 06-10-2006 01:40 AM

do you have their albums? in what order should i listen to them, taking that its my first time.

Triangle 06-10-2006 03:39 AM

Takk is my current favourite Post-Rock album, simply because of the beauty in the melodies.

bucket 06-11-2006 12:04 AM

[QUOTE=Knifeboy]Easily Misunderstood is a masterpiece of an album..... (If you manage to find their earlier album same same, but different, don't hesitate to tell me.. Hehe)[/QUOTE]

What is your email or AIM? [email]petethecow@hotmail.com[/email]

I have Same same, but not Easily Misunderstood :(

3rdplanet 06-11-2006 12:51 PM

I've started to find Post-Rock amazingly boring. That said, I like Tortoise, God is an Astronaut, Mono and Mogwai. Sigur Ros are awful.

TojesDolan 06-11-2006 12:58 PM

Not sure if they fit in the genre, but Jagga Jazzist is an awesome band to listen to, with more of an inclinatio towards jazz (as the name implies) which I enjoy a lot. What we must is a very good album.

FungusAmngus870 06-11-2006 01:04 PM

65 Days Of Static
Pelican (if considered post rock)
All the others mentioned above

bucket 06-11-2006 01:55 PM

[QUOTE=TojesDoLan]Not sure if they fit in the genre, but Jagga Jazzist is an awesome band to listen to, with more of an inclinatio towards jazz (as the name implies) which I enjoy a lot. What we must is a very good album.[/QUOTE]

I think What We Must fits more with post-rock than any other genre. Oslo Skyline and Swedenborgske Rom are an unbeatable nighttime combo. :cool:

I reccommend that album to anyone I don't hate.

Kage 06-11-2006 04:57 PM

Jaga Jazzist is great. I consider them a Post Rock band, but you could make a case against that as well. What We Must is amazing.