Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pop-Punk (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Top 100 Non-Pop-Punk Bands: The List! (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475424)

Mute Print 06-11-2006 12:28 PM

Top 100 Non-Pop-Punk Bands: The List!

Finally, the wait is over. Here is a list of the top 100 non-pop-punk bands, as voted on by members of the pop-punk forum.

I tried waiting until I had blurbs for all 100 bands, but that is never going to happen. However, it would still be nice if we could fill in some of the gaps, so, if you can, please submit a few more blurbs and improve the list.

Also, this should go without saying, but don't complain about the list or the blurbs. You had a chance to vote, and a chance to write, so it's your fault if you didn't take the opportunity.

So, without further delay, here is the list:

Mute Print 06-11-2006 12:28 PM

[CENTER][SIZE="6"]THE LIST![/SIZE][/CENTER]

1. [U][B]The Beatles[/B][/U]
The Beatles were a pop and rock music group from Liverpool, England, who continue to be held in the very highest regard for their artistic achievements, their huge commercial success, and their groundbreaking role in the history of popular music. Consisting of John Lennon (1940-1980), Paul McCartney (1942- ), George Harrison (1943-2001) and Ringo Starr (1940- ), the group's innovative music and style helped define the 1960s. The Beatles were, by most definitions, the biggest musical act of the twentieth century. In their homeland alone, they have had more than 40 different singles, albums and EPs reach Number One. This kind of success has been repeated in many more countries and EMI estimated that by 1985, the band had sold over one billion records worldwide. The Beatles' achievements and contributions to popular music, and indeed international youth culture, were profound and wide-ranging. Their early original material fused elements of early American rock 'n roll, pop, and R&B into a new form of popular rock 'n roll, almost single-handedly kick-starting the British Invasion, laying the groundwork for the rock culture of the 1960s, and establishing the prototype for the self-contained rock group. Albums that have been released by The Beatles are [I]Please Please Me[/I] in 1963, [I]With The Beatles[/I] in 1963, [I]A Hard Day's Night[/I] in 1964, [I]Beatles for Sale[/I] in 1964, [I]Help![/I] in 1965, [I]Rubber Soul[/I] in 1965, [I]Revolver[/I] in 1966, [I]Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band[/I] in 1967, [I]The Beatles[/I] (aka The White Album) in 1968, [I]Yellow Submarine[/I] in 1969, [I]Abbey Road[/I] in 1969, and [I]Let It Be[/I] in 1970.
-[I]Matt[/I]

2. [U][B]Thursday[/B][/U]
Thursday was formed by Geoff Rickly, Tom Keeley, Steve Pedulla, Tim Payne, Tucker Rule, and Andrew Everding in New Brunswick, New Jersey, in 1997. The band's first album entitled [I]Waiting[/I] was released in 1999 on Eyeball Records. Thursday attracted the attention of Victory Records and released a breakthrough second album entitled, [I]Full Collapse[/I]¯ on October 18, 2001. After gaining significant radio time with the single, "Understanding In A Car Crash" the band landed a major record deal with Island Records. The result of this record deal was their third full-length album, [I]War All The Time[/I], released September 16,2003. Thursday's fourth album, [I]A City By The Light Divided[/I]¯, is scheduled to be released on May 5, 2006.
-[I]Zach[/I]

3. [U][B]The Mars Volta[/B][/U]
Rising from the ashes of At the Drive-In in 2001, vocalist Cedric Bixler and guitarist Omar Rodriguez-Lopez recruited several additional musicians to round out Prog Rock group The Mars Volta. Despite a low amount of actual studio material, the band built a buzz early on based upon their highly energetic live show. On their first full-length effort, [I]Deloused in the Comatorium[/I], the band drew more attention by gathering the support of Red Hot Chili Peppers members Flea and John Frusciante. Their latest full length, [I]Frances the Mute[/I], has propelled the band into the mainstream, landing 2 songs on radio stations all over and releasing music videos on MTV as well, quite a feat for such an experimental band.
-[I]Vince[/I]

4. [U][B]Thrice[/B][/U]
Since their inception in 1998, Thrice has managed to redefine their sound over each and every album they release, from their early Pop-Punk [I]First Impressions[/I] EP to their recent Alternative Rock-influenced [I]Vheissu[/I]. With the heartfelt lyrics and emotional vocals of Dustin backed by the technicality of Teppei and the brothers of the rhythm section, Eddie and Riley, Thrice is characterized by strengths in each and every section of their musical compositions. The variation among each of their records makes it hard to pinpoint a best or worst because each has its own unique style and strengths. All that can be said is that despite the constant evolution in sound, the band consistently releases amazing music in whatever genre they chose to explore, be it the older Melodic Hardcore hailed by many older fans, or the newer more atmospheric music drawing new crowds of fans.
-[I]Vince[/I]

5. [U][B]Dillinger Escape Plan[/B][/U]
Dillinger Escape Plan are one crazy band. Their fusion of metal, hardcore, punk, jazz and everything else in crazy time signatures and beats make them almost impossible to categorize. Their album [I]Calculating Infinity¯[/I] is mental, extremely aggressive, heavy and fast. Their music is extremely complicated and the band members are so good at what they do too. They did an EP with Mike Patton, which features some of their best work and was a bit more experimental. Their latest release [I]Miss Machine[/I] still has the same intense-ness and heaviness as their earlier work, but also features some slower, calmer songs such as "Unretrofied". A brilliant band, with a bright future.
-[I]Dan[/I]

6. [U][B]Red Hot Chili Peppers[/B][/U]
Few bands have managed to have a career spanning 23 years, with 10 albums in their belt, a constantly adapting and changing style, and still managed to keep a massive fan base, securing them as one of the greatest rock bands of all time. The band formed in 1983 under the name Tony Flows Miraculous Masters of Mayhem. the bands line up consisted of Anthony Kiedis on vocals, Micheal Balzary (also called Flea, owing to his excitable and energetic nature) on bass guitar, and High school pals Hillel Slovak on Guitar, and Jack Irons on Drums. Soon, the band took on the name the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, which Kiedis claimed came to him in a dream. The band soon became famous in their local LA, and were recording by 1984, bringing their unique sound of funk-rap-rock to CD. The band recorded and toured extensively, until 1988, when high school friend and guitarist Hillel Slovak was found dead from a heroine overdose. The band were devastated, and drummer Jack decided to call it a day, and left the band. Flea and Kiedis decided to continue for the memory of their friend. The band was eventually joined by John Frusciante on Guitar and Chad Smith on Drums, cementing the line up for years to come. The band went on to record and tour more. The band really sold their brand of funk rock to the world, with each becoming famous musicians in their own right. However, trouble struck again, when Frusciante left the band in 1992, mid tour, due to hard drug abuse. Though he would come back after extensive rehab, the band were forced to find a new guitarist, in the form of Jane's Addiction's Dave Navarro. The band recorded together, but Navarro left in 1998, feeling he didn't fit in. The band were rejoined by Frusciante, and slipped into obscurity, taking a break from touring, to record a new album. [I]Californication[/I] was released in late 1999, and was an instant hit. Their biggest album to date, it marked a change in the bands style and attitude. Kiedis' voice had really come into its own, and the band had grown up as musicians. The band are still going strong today, as a mix of Kiedis random and often obscure lyrics, Flea's incredible funk bass playing doubled with Chad's total rhythm and time ability, and Fruciantes melodic and beautifully haunting guitar playing.
-[I]Oz[/I]

7. [U][B]Bob Dylan[/B][/U]

8. [U][B]Rage Against The Machine[/B][/U]
Rage Against the Machine is an American metal band noted both for their diligent political conscience and for their pioneering blend of hard rock and rap which over time would come to be known variously as Rock, Rap Rock or Rap Metal (Both known under Rapcore), Hard Rock, Funk Metal and Alternative Rock or Alternative Metal. Their name came from the unreleased album "Rage Against the Machine" by de la Rocha's former group, as well as being a reference to a speech by Karl Marx, where he told workers to "Rage Against The Machine". Shortly after forming, they gave their first public performance in a living room in Orange County, California and self-produced a 12-song cassette which already included songs like "Bullet in the Head". Several record labels expressed interest and they eventually signed with Epic Records. Morello said, "Epic agreed to everything we asked--and they've followed through... we never saw a conflict as long as we maintained creative control." Their debut album, the self-titled [I]Rage Against the Machine[/I] was released in late 1992. Their second album, Evil Empire entered Billboard Top 200 chart at number one in 1996. A live video, also titled "Rage Against the Machine", followed in 1997. The following release, [I]The Battle of Los Angeles[/I] also debuted at number one in 1999, selling 450,000 copies the first week and then going double platinum. [I]Renegades[/I], released shortly after the band's dissolution, was a 2000 collection of covers of bands as diverse as Devo, Cypress Hill, Minor Threat, MC5 and even Bob Dylan. The following year saw the release of another live video, The Battle of Mexico City. On October 18, 2000, de la Rocha released the following statement:

[I]I feel that it is now necessary to leave Rage because our decision-making process has completely failed. It is no longer meeting the aspirations of all four of us collectively as a band, and from my perspective, has undermined our artistic and political ideal. I am extremely proud of our work, both as activists and musicians, as well as indebted and grateful to every person who has expressed solidarity and shared this incredible experience with us.[/I]

After the group's breakup, Morello, Wilk, and Commerford briefly tried to replace de la Rocha in RATM.
-[I]Matt[/I]

Mute Print 06-11-2006 12:29 PM

9. [B][U]Minor Threat[/U][/B]
The definitive Hardcore band, Minor Threat set off the straight edge movement and were the kings of Washington D.C's Hardcore scene. They're songs show off their angst and rage and each one is fast, hard hitting and sharp. Throughout all this rage though there are melodies too. Not around for very long, and the band went on and formed other popular bands, such as Fugazi. Minor Threat are one of the most influential (in many ways) bands the world has ever seen.
-[I]Dan[/I]

10. [U][B]The Clash[/B][/U]
The Clash was formed in 1976 and they were one of the first successful Punk bands of their generation along with the Sex Pistols. They released a total of 6 albums and broke up in 1986. After the break up all of the band members continued their musical careers. Joe Strummer (front man) died in 2002 of a heart attack.
-[I]Cameron[/I]

11. [U][B]System Of A Down[/B][/U]
System of A Down are one of the biggest and most successful bands in rock/metal today. They have released hits such as "Sugar"¯, "Toxicity" and "Chop Suey". They've released a good number of albums since their beginning and each one hasn't disappointed. Their music is heavy but soft and melodic at times, you can hear the bands Armenian routes too. The bands instantly recognizable vocalist/s and their clever and technical riffs and guitar work set them apart from the competition. In 2005, they released two albums, [I]Mesmerize[/I] (One of the bands best records they've released) and [I]Hypnotize[/I]. Neither really disappointed the fans and they keep going on strong.
-[I]Dan[/I]

12. [U][B]A Wilhelm Scream[/B][/U]
Formerly known as Smackin’ Isaiah, A Wilhelm Scream is a melodic hardcore band out of New Bedford, Massachusetts. They have released three full-length albums under the name A Wilhelm Scream, as well as a number of demos and EPs as Smackin’ Isaiah. Their music is very fast-paced and energetic, and they are always looking to improve upon their previous work. Guitarist Trevor Reilly has even been quoted as saying "We wouldn't attempt another record if we didn't think it could blow the last one away."
-[I]Brian[/I]

13. [U][B]Rise Against[/B][/U]
Rise Against is a punk/hardcore band from Chicago, Illinois, USA. Formed in 1999, and originally performing under the name Transistor Revolt. They changed their name before releasing their first full-length CD titled [I]The Unraveling[/I] in 2001. They then released [I]Revolutions Per Minute[/I] in 2003, and [I]Siren Song of the Counter Culture[/I] in 2004. They are expected to release their fourth full-length album titled [I]The Sufferer & The Witness[/I] in July of this year. Members of the band include: Tim McIlrath (Lead Vocals/Guitar), Chris Chasse (Guitar/Backing Vocals), Joe Principe (Bass/Backing Vocals), and Brandon Barnes (Drums)
-[I]Matt[/I]

14. [U][B]Rush[/B][/U]
One of the most famous trios of all time and one of the few bands to last over 30 years, there is little that could be said overly praising the work of Rush. Neil Peart is considered by most drummers to be one of, if not the very best, rock drummers ever. The bass work laid down by Geddy Lee while he sings simultaneously is awe-inspiring and Alex Lifeson is one of the definitive Progressive Rock guitarists of all time. It is very easy to label this band a super-group despite the fact that it was not created from the ashes of other popular bands of the time, all 3 are clearly masters of their instruments. Although the band has always evolved and incorporated the newest popular styles into their music, throughout their career the band has been one of the definitive Prog Rock outfits, often releasing full length albums with 4-6 epic songs on them, often several clocking in over 10 minutes a piece. It is impossible to define Rush's 30 year career as anything short of amazing.
-[I]Vince[/I]

15. [U][B]The Pixies[/B][/U]

16. [U][B]Metallica[/B][/U]
From their early Thrash days, through their Hard Rock phase and into their recent Nu-Metal effort, Metallica has proven to be a versatile mainstream act. Their latest effort, [I]St. Anger[/I], was a disappointment to many fans who had expected the band to create an album where the band retreated to their Thrash roots as evidenced on such classic albums as [I]Ride the Lightning[/I] and [I]Master of Puppets[/I]. Their early 90's release of the [I]Black Album[/I] re-defined the sound of Metallica from the rougher, faster Thrash Metal, to the more polished sound that evolved into the Hard Rock of [I]Load[/I] and [I]Reload[/I], that led to a label of sell-outs among many fans, and even more when they cut their hair for [I]Load[/I]. Metallica is one of the most successful Metal acts in all of history and is generally a household name. Their success is not paralleled by many bands period and most especially Metal bands.
-[I]Vince[/I]

17. [U][B]Radiohead[/B][/U]
British Alternative Rock act Radiohead is one of the most critically acclaimed bands of modern times. Characterized only by a sound that evolves on every album, the group's ever popular single of their first album, "Creep", still rides popular radio airtime, though newer hits such as "Go to Sleep" keep the band's newest music fresh on the minds of fans still. There is strong debate among fans as to what album would be considered the band's best work, though most people generally lean towards labeling either [I]Kid A[/I] or [I]OK Computer[/I] the band's magnum opus. Both albums are generally considered classics and genre-defining.
-[I]Vince[/I]

18. [U][B]Refused[/B][/U]

19. [U][B]Nirvana[/B][/U]
Possibly the biggest band of the 1990's, defining a generation of apathetic and despairing, yet intelligent and emotionally mature teens. Nirvana brought Grunge to the mainstream, and the bands career was fast, tough and huge. The iconic band formed by the pin-up boy for teen angst Kurt Cobain and Bass player Krist Novesellic in 1986, along with drummer Chad Channing. The band recorded multiple demo tapes, and became a local phenomenon, selling out local venues and putting on blisteringly fast, heavy sets, with destruction, anger and emotion present in the air. Kurt's despair at the world around him struck a chord with the teen nation, and it would continue to. The bands first album [I]Bleach[/I], was released in 1989, and became an instant college radio and underground hit. The band began to tour extensively, trying to bring their dark and muddy music to masses of angsty teens around America. In the summer of the release, the band replaced Channing with Dave Grohl on drums, and signed to major label DGC. In September 1991 the band released the album that would propel them to mainstream attention, [I]Nevermind[/I]. The single "Smells Like Teen Spirit" became one of the biggest selling singles of all time, and the band became teen idols over most of the Northen Hemisphere. This came as a shock to both the label, and Nirvana themselves, who were unsure of how to take their sudden stardom. The band would often mock audiences and authority, by pretending to mine and destroying instruments and sets on TV spots. After marrying Hole front woman Courtney Love, Cobain became a heavy Heroin user. Kurt often complained about the fame the band were receiving, claiming that the audience no longer cared if the music was good, as long as it was Nirvana. He gradually became more and more bitter and cynical towards the music industry, often playing the opening chords to "Smells Like Teen Spirit" to get audiences wild, then playing some other song just to bait them. The band released their 3rd album, [I]In Utero[/I], in 1993. the album, predictably was well received by fans and critics in the US and UK. After the release, Cobain had multiple suicide attempts, mostly overdoses, which were kept from the press. The record company and wife Courtney persuaded Kurt to go into therapy and rehab in March 1994, but he fled in early April, disappearing. His body wasn’t discovered in the Cobain house until April 8th. The band split up immediately, and Courtney Love began a war with Ghrol and Novesellic over who was entitled to loyalties that would last several years. Since the death of Cobain, multiple live and B-side compilations have been released. Nirvana were the first to bring about a teen age revolution since perhaps the Beatles. Their dark, angsty music struck a deep chord with despairing bored teenagers on the 1990's.
-[I]Oz[/I]

Mute Print 06-11-2006 12:30 PM

20. [U][B]Poison The Well[/B][/U]
Poison The Well is a melodic post-hardcore/metalcore band from Miami, Florida. They are currently signed to Atlantic Records, after releasing several albums with the hardcore label Trustkill. Although the band has experienced success and is signed with a major label, Poison the Well has issues with keeping members of the band in the band. Guitarist Ryan Primack and Drummer Chris Hornbrook are the only remaining members of the band who have been involved since their first album, although vocalist Jeffrey Moreira has been the singer on all three full-length albums. Originally named "An Acre Lost", Poison the Well released their first album, [I]Distance Only Makes The Heart Grow Fonder[/I], in 1998. The album gained them the attention of Trustkill Records who signed them to a multi-album deal. PTW released their first album with Trustkill in 1999, [I]The Opposite of December... A Season of Separation[/I]. Trustkill has a strong underground following in the United States, and popularity and some success was achieved. To this day, Guitar World magazine still dubs [I]The Opposite of December[/I] one of the greatest Hardcore/Screamo albums of all-time. [I]The Opposite of December[/I] caused a stir in the music scene and was starting to gain the band the attention of some Major labels. The album was successful enough that the band re-released [I]Distance Only Makes The Heart Grow Fonder[/I] on Undecided Records with two live bonus tracks and a slightly different title (they dropped the "Only"). Afterward, the band released one more album on Trustkill, [I]Tear From the Red[/I], and released a video for the song "Botchla". The popularity of the album grew and the band was signed by Atlantic Records. In 2003, a year after the release [I]Tear From the Red[/I], the band made their major label debut with [I]You Come Before You[/I]. Presently, PTW is working on an album to be released in mid-2006. Demos for this album have been leaked over the internet.
-[I]Matt[/I]

21. [U][B]Propagandhi[/B][/U]
Propagandhi is a political punk rock/thrash band formed in Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1986 by Chris Hannah and Jord Samolesky. Known for championing left-wing causes and standing up against human rights violations, the band's political attitude includes anti-racism, anti-homophobia, anti-imperialism, anti-fascism, and anti-capitalism. Moral and ethical attitudes include pacifism and veganism. In 1992, Propagandhi played a show with California punk-rock band NOFX. NOFX's singer, Fat Mike, asked them to come to L.A. to record what would become their first album, [I]How To Clean Everything[/I]. The album was released on Fat Mike's own record label, Fat Wreck Chords, in 1993.

The band spent the next three years touring and enjoying the popularity provided by the explosion in popularity of punk rock in the mid 1990's. In 1996 they recorded and released their second album, [I]Less Talk, More Rock[/I], also on Fat Wreck Chords. The album title was a joke, as Propagandhi were well known for going into lengthy rants during their live performances. The album was, if anything, even more out-spoken than its predecessor. After four years, Propagandhi released their third full-length album, [I]Today's Empires, Tomorrow's Ashes[/I]. The album was a major departure from their previous works. The song titles and lyrics of [I]Today's Empires, Tomorrow's Ashes[/I] furthered the sphere of their political views, now coming with the addition of the song-writing styles of Todd, who had previously played in Canadian hardcore bands I Spy and Swallowing poop. The album built upon a heavier, speedier, and more contemporary punk sound, almost working with metal-like riffs. Propagandhi released its newest album, [I]Potemkin City Limits[/I] on October 18, 2005. The album was something of a logical stylistic evolution from their past CDs: the songs now somewhat slower and longer, with somewhat of an 80's metal influence.
-[I]Matt[/I]

22. [U][B]The Cure[/B][/U]
Grandfathers of Goth? Originators of Emo? All I know is that these emotionally fuelled new wave bands are one of the most beautiful and inspirational bands I've ever heard. Originally titled Easy Cure, the band formed in the 1970's, in South England, originally as a punk band. However, front man Robert Smith's obsession with all things dark, morbid and weighty came through to the lyrics in force. The bands first album, [I]Three Imaginary Boys[/I] (1979), had the energy and speed of punk music that was popular at the time, but Smith's lyrics stood the album apart from most punk albums of the time, by dealing with less teen-angst ideas, and singing about true despair, death, depression and heart break. Their first UK single "A Forest", saw the introduction of new Bassist Simon Gallup, and nudged into the UK top 30. The following albums marked the Cures distinctive morbidity and unusually dark outlook. The bands 4th album, [I]Po [SIZE="2"]rno[/SIZE]graphy[/I], was their first to enter the UK top 10 album chart. The band was beginning to form a following of intelligent, melancholy teens and young adults, and proved to be the most original artists in the UK for decades. The inevitable occurred hand in hand with success, and Smith began to use drugs. Keyboardist Mathieu Hartly left the band in 1981, and relations between Smith and Gallup became incredibly stressful. The bands next single, "Lets Go to Bed", featured Lol Tolhurst, the bands drummer on keyboard as well. The Cure had become more a studio-based thing than a real band. "Lets Go to Bed" succeeded in breaking the band through to the mainstream in the US. Smith, despite the lack of an actual band, continued to write immensely catchy, sorrowful pop songs, including the jazzy "Lovecats". Despite the offerings of mainstream stardom, Smith chose to turn away again, offering the darkly weird album, [I]The Top[/I], defying the pop-sound they had come to be known for. In 1985, the band saw the return of bassist Simon Gallup, Porl Thompson on Guitar and Drummer Boris Williams for the album [I]Head on a Door[/I]. Due to an excessive drinking problem, keyboardist Lol Tolhurst was replaced by Roger O'Donnell. The next few albums raised the Cures fandom in the UK and the US, and [I]Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me[/I] became their first platinum record. In 1989, the band released [I]Disintegration[/I], which took a dark twist back to their early albums, away from the pop world. The record companies hated it, but the public did not. The album reached number 3 in the UK album chart and reached the American top 20, and earned platinum status. The next album, [I]The Wish[/I], entered the UK charts at number 1, and the US charts at number 2. The band won a BRIT award for best British band in 1991. However, a lawsuit with ex-keyboardist Lol Tolhurst pushed back the release of 1993's live albums. The bands Guitarist, Keyboardist and Drummer left, leaving Robert Smith and Simon Gallup. The bands roadie took up the guitar, Jason Cooper took up Drums and O'Donnell was convinced back to keyboards. The band spent most of the 1990's releasing albums, working on movie soundtracks, and even appearing in South Park. In 1999, they released the last album in their dark trilogy, [I]Bloodflowers[/I] (along with [I]Po [SIZE="2"]rno[/SIZE]graphy[/I] and [I]Disintegration[/I]). The band toured extensively at the beginning of the new millennium, and Smith worked with a number of other artists (including Blink 182). In 2004, the band released their most recent album, [I]The Cure[/I], which fused a new experimental electronic sound with the old darkness and catchy pop songs they had become famous for. All in all, the Cure are one of the most original and influential bands of the past 30 years, influencing AFI, Hell is for Heroes, the Rapture and many others. Their songs are beautiful, emotional, passionate, sinister and sad. No other band sounds like them.
-[I]Oz[/I]

23. [U][B]Against Me![/B][/U]
Folk-tingled punk rock straight outta Gainesville, Florida. These 4 guys have passion for the music they play and you can hear it with every record they've released and definitely in their live shows. Starting with just the front man, Tom Gabel playing shows with just himself and his acoustic guitar, the band evolved into one of the most well respected and loved in punk rock. They've gone away from their folk roots recently, and signed to Sire records, which has brought up a lot of controversy, but they're planning to released their major label debut in 2007.
-[I]Dan[/I]

24. [U][B]Pink Floyd[/B][/U]
One of the most successful and well-known bands of all time, Pink Floyd evolved from their early Psychedelic Rock roots into one of the most important Prog Rock acts of the 70's. Original member Syd Barrett's mental breakdowns around 1967-68 led the band to invite David Gilmour to join the band and thus was established the most commonly recognized line-up of the band. After small commercial success for several years, in 1973 the band released arguably their most famous album, [I]The Dark Side of the Moon[/I]. This album also marked the beginnings of Water's obsessive control of the band that eventually led to his removal in 1985 after a brutal lawsuit. Between 1973 and 1985 the band released several other masterpieces, though after Water's removal the commercial success of the band's albums died down immensely and 1994 marks the last studio release of the band, [I]The Division Bell[/I]. Despite rumors to the contrary, Gilmour denies any rumors the band might ever re-unite, excepting a performance for the Live 8 fundraiser last year.
-[I]Vince[/I]

Mute Print 06-11-2006 12:31 PM

25. [U][B]Gorilla Biscuits[/B][/U]
Gorilla Biscuits is a legendary straight edge hardcore band from New York. During their short history, they put out two releases on Revelation Records: [I]Gorilla Biscuits[/I], a 7” released in 1988, and [I]Start Today[/I], released in 1989. Although Gorilla Biscuits only lasted for a handful of years, the band impacted the hardcore scene in such a way that they will never be forgotten. Recently, the band announced that they would be reuniting for a US tour in August with modern hardcore band Comeback Kid as the main support.
-[I]Brian[/I]

26. [U][B]Dream Theater[/B][/U]
Often labeled a super-group, Dream Theater was formed by several graduates of the prestigious Berklee school of music. Characterized by a strong technical side, the band's compositions frequently are mind-bogglingly complex and tight. Their career spans a range of music some label Progressive Metal and others simply Progressive Rock, but regardless of whether or not the band is Rock or Metal, the band is most certainly the definition of many of the ideas encompassed in Progressive music. Every member of this band could be considered extremely gifted at their instrument if not at a virtuoso level (depends on who you ask). The band incorporates many styles into their music as well, which is a clear throw-back to their days as music students.
-[I]Vince[/I]

27. [U][B]Queens Of The Stone Age[/B][/U]
Queens of the Stone age were formed in 1996, by Josh Homme, Alfredo Hernandez, formerly of Kyuss, and Chris Goss, and Hutch. The band recorded their first album, entitles [i]Queens Of The Stone Age[/i] with Josh handed both Guitar and Bass parts, Alfredo on the drums, and the other two members doing vocal contributions, and other various instruments. After this album was released, another former Kyuss member, Nick Olivieri joined the band and took up the role of Bassist. Alfredo also vacated the post of drummer at this time, which was filled with Nick Lucero. In the year 2000, he band recorded the hit album [i]Rated R[/i] which was their breakthrough album, and got the band touring for almost a year straight. After the tours finished for the album, the ever changing lineup was changed yet again, with Dave Grohl, formerly of the Foo Fighters and Nirvana taking up the drumsticks for 2002's release [i]Songs For The Deaf[/i]. This album definitely broke the band into the mainstream, and gifted the world with many great singles, a tour followed, with Dave Grohl dropping out of the European leg of the tour, and was replaced with Joey Castillo on a permanent basis. In July of 2005, Nick Olivieri was fired from the band in what was said to be disrespect to the fans and excessive partying" but Homme later revealed in a radio interview had had heard rumours that he was abusive to his girlfriend, and had fired him for this. After Olivieri left, the band recruited countless new members, and began work on, in my opinion their worst album, [i]Lullabies To Paralyze[/i]. The band toured yet again, and the lineup changed even more, and they released a live DVD in the autumn of 2005. The band are also rumoured to have started recording their next album.
-[I]Jamie[/I]

28. [U][B]Queen[/B][/U]
Camp, Talented, extravagant, ridiculous and wonderful. Queen are all of these things and more. They encompass the true feeling of the 70's, and all the glam rock that came before them. The band formed in 1971, with the current lineup. The band spent 2 years playing local gigs and completing college, until 1973, when they began to focus on music as a serious career. They recorded their first self titled album, which was more a metal album than anything else. Their follow up, [I]Queen II[/I], became an unexpected breakthrough in 1974, releasing the powerful pop-rock anthem the "Seven Seas of Rhye". The band released their 3rd album in late 1974, entitled [I]Sheer Heart Attack[/I]. The single "Killer Queen" reached number 2 in the UK album charts. In 1975, the band released [I]A Night at the Opera[/I], containing the hit single "Bohemian Rhapsody". This song cemented the bands operatic-rock style and flamboyance, and has gone on to become one of the most popular singles of all time. Queen shot to fame in the UK and the US, and their extravagant parties became legendary, but the band continued to work excessively. They released [I]A Day at the Races[/I] in 1976, which reached number one in the UK and number 5 in America. Despite the rise of punk, the band continued to make great pop-rock anthems, despite slatings from rock reviews for living in the past. the band released the album Jazz in 1977. In 1980, the band released the album [I]The Game[/I], followed by the soundtrack for [I]Flash Gordon[/I]. Although the first went to number one on both sides of the Atlantic, the latter got cold reviews. The bands following albums [I]Hot Space[/I] and [i]The Works[/i] were badly received, spawning few hits of interest. The band began touring in Asia, Latin America and Asia. In 1985, the band played Live Aid, before releasing the album [I]A Kind of Magic[/I]. The album was huge, and the band regained their popularity with the follow-up albums [I]The Miracle[/I] (1989) and [I]Innuendo[/I] (1991). By the end of 1991, the band had scaled back their activity, no longer recording or touring. The answer came on the 23rd of October 1991, when notorious homosexual dandy Freddie Mercury announced he had AIDS. He died the next day. The band held a memorial concert in the spring of 1992, with many artists who where inspired and touched by the band coming forth to help out. The band still occasionally tour with Ex-Free/Bad Company front man Paul Rodgers, although bassist John Deacon no longer tours. All in all, in their time before Freddie's death, Queen were one of the biggest bands on the planet, and still remain so to this day, gaining fans from age groups from before their time. Their music is timeless; fusing Freddie's amazing voice, with Brian's screeching solo's, Deacon's pounding bass lines and Roger Taylor's incredible drum lines.
-[I]Oz[/I]

29. [U][B]Elliot Smith[/B][/U]

30. [U][B]Streetlight Manifesto[/B][/U]
Former Catch 22-frontman Tomas Kalnocky departed Catch 22, along with several other band members, complaining of the rigors of touring. Shortly thereafter, he created Streetlight Manifesto, compiling the ex-Catch 22 members and ex-One Cool Guy members into a single band and released [I]Everything Goes Numb[/I]. That album defines, for many, the third wave of Ska. Characterized by great lyrics, catchy horn parts, and anthemic choruses, there are few people who can dislike this album. After a 3 year break in between albums the band recently released [I]Keasbey Nights II[/I], a re-make of Catch 22's album [I]Keasbey Nights[/I] which was the only album Tomas and the others were a part of. The album has been released to mixed reviews and was a large disappointment to many fans who felt Tomas was only re-making the album because of his feud with the current Catch 22. Regardless, this band has released some of the most definitive third-wave Ska to date and is definitely worth a listen regardless of what style of music you may be a fan of.
-[I]Vince[/I]

31. [U][B]Black Flag[/B][/U]

32. [U][B]Flogging Molly[/B][/U]

33. [U][B]Smashing Pumpkins[/B][/U]

34. [U][B]Hot Cross[/B][/U]
Hot Cross is a screamo band from New York City currently on Level Plane Records. The band is comprised of members of such bands as Saetia (vocalist Billy Werner and drummer Greg Drudy, who was also a founding member and the original drummer of post-punkers Interpol), Off Minor (bassist/guitarist Matt Smith), You and I (guitarist Casey Boland), Neil Perry, The Now and Joshua Fit For Battle (bassist/guitarist Josh Jakubowsky). Their songs are composed of intricate (and in the beginning of their career, dueling) guitars heavily influenced by Drive Like Jehu. On May 2, 2006, Hot Cross has officially announced that they have signed to Equal Vision Records and will be releasing their next full length on this label. Their discography consists of: [I]A New Set of Lungs[/I] EP (2002) - recorded by Jonathan Kreinik of the band Pines of Nowhere, [I]Cryonics[/I] LP (2003 on Level Plane), [I]Fair Trades & Farewells[/I] EP (2004 on Level Plane), and [I]Risk Revival[/I] (Expected on October 3, 2006 on Equal Vision Records).
-[I]Matt[/I]

35. [U][B]N.W.A.[/B][/U]
Raddddddd.
-[I]Cobert[/I]

36. [U][B]Fugazi[/B][/U]

Mute Print 06-11-2006 12:31 PM

37. [U][B]The Misfits[/B][/U]
Dark Punk? The Misfits started it all. The sound from so many bands wouldn't be the same without them. The band formed in 1977, taking their name from the last film Marilyn Monroe ever made before being found dead in her hotel room. Brought together by a love for the punk movement and by something uniquely sinister, their love of all things morbid, sick and revolting. The music was harsh, fast and no frills punk rock, with melody inspired by 1950's rockabilly music, and Glenn Danzig’s twisted, sick, horror movie obsessed lyrics driving home a shocking point. The band quickly established their own unique eye catching style, including heavy horror movie inspired makeup, lots of black leather jackets and heavy duty boots, and the inverted quiff hairstyle, known as a Devil's Lock. The band did much demo recording and touring in the local area, forming a solid local fan base of morbid youth. The band released their first EP in 1978, entitled [I]Bullet[/I], which featured artwork of president JFK being assassinated. The bands guitarist and drummer changed frequently, and recording of several EP's continued. It wasn’t until 1982 that the band released their first debut album, [I]Walk Among Us[/I]. The band lineup changed once more, with Danzig and Only the only remaining original members. Glenn Danzig finally left the band in late 1983, choosing to search for his own sound. The band fell into obscurity, with various B-Side compilations being released and Danzig cashing in, while working on his solo project Danzig. In an attempt to keep the dream alive, Jerry Only reformed the band in 1996, with vocalist Micheal Graves, his younger brother Doyle Von Frankenstien on guitar and Dr. Chud on drums. The band released the albums [I]American Psycho[/I] and [I]Famous Monsters[/I] in quick succession, bringing a much more metal element to the bands sound, with monstourous guitar riffs replacing the chord structures of earlier work. In 2001, the B-Sides album [I]Cuts from the Crypt[/I] was released, but the band abandoned Only, who released 2003's [I]Project 1950[/I] (a covers album for the most part) with Black Flag drummer and guitarist Marky Ramone and Dez Cadena (respectivley), and Only on vocals and bass. In 2005, the band released [I]Fiend Club Lounge[/I]. Arguably no longer the great twisted band that they had once been, the Misfits still have lasted a long time, their older music and newer music gaining fans young and old, and inspiring numerous bands along the way, and having one of the biggest merchandising companies of any other band.
-[I]Oz[/I]

38. [U][B]Anti-Flag[/B][/U]
Anti-Flag is a political punk band out of Pittsburgh, PA. The band officially solidified in 1993, and has since released 7 studio albums. Anti-Flag’s lyrics often deal with world issues including war, fascism, and oppression, and the band has often spoken out against world leaders, and the actions of the government. In 2005, Anti-Flag signed a contract with major label RCA; a move that has stirred heavy criticism from fans and members of the punk community, who believe Anti-Flag is hypocritical in that they often spoke against capitalism and big corporations, and then proceeded to sign to a major label.
-[I]Brian[/I]

39. [U][B]R.E.M.[/B][/U]

40. [U][B]Fear Before The March Of Flames[/B][/U]
Fear Before the March of Flames was formed by, Adam Fisher, Brandon Proff, David Marion, and Michael Madruga, in 2002, in Aurora Colorado. Their debut album, [I]Odd How People Shake [/I]was released in 2003 on Rise Records and after a little bit of time Equal Vision picked up the band and re-released their debut record in January of 2004. Their second album marked a change in the band's direction. [I]Art Damage[/I] was released in September of 2004 and was a much darker album then their debut. On January 16, 2006 the band announced they added a new guitarist (Zach Hutchings, formerly of Clarity Process) to the band. Fear Before the March of Flames is working on a new album and hopes to have it out by September or October of 2006.
-[I]Zach[/I]

41. [U][B]Iron Maiden[/B][/U]
Formed in 1975 by bassist Steve Harris, Iron Maiden remains one of the most influential Heavy Metal bands of all time. Although the band suffered from numerous line-up changes early on, after a few years a stable line-up emerged and the band became one of the pioneers of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal in the early 1980's. Iron Maiden was one of the pioneers of the harmonized lead guitars used by many bands nowadays. Though never achieving a mainstream presence, the band remains one of the staples for all metalheads. In the 90's vocalist Bruce Dickenson was replaced by Blaze Bailey, but Dickenson returned to the band for 2000's [I]Brave New World[/I] along with guitarist Adrian Smith, transforming he classically 5 piece band to a 6 piece band with 3 guitarists. With 13 studio albums and numerous live albums to their name, the band shows no signs of letting up after over 20 years.
-[I]Vince[/I]

42. [U][B]Between The Buried And Me[/B][/U]

43. [U][B]Circle Takes The Square[/B][/U]
Circle Takes the Square is a mathcore/post-hardcore band from Savannah, Georgia, USA. The band formed in 2001 and has released two CDs, Circle Takes the Square, a demo release in 2001, and [I]As The Roots Undo[/I] was released in 2004. What listeners tend to notice first about the band is the loud screaming of both male and female vocals that often function in a kind of call and response. Skillful, chaotic drumming coupled with intense, highly technical bass/guitar work has served to separate the band from most others in the genre. Highly diverse song structures (from meditative, droning intros to crushing choruses) have also assisted in carving their unique niche. The band completed a tour of the UK in mid-2004. The band has done a lot of West Coast tours, and is currently doing a West Coast tour. The band members are Kathy Coppola (bass & vocals), Drew Speziale (guitar & vocals), Jay Wynne (drums), Bobby Scandiffio (guitar).
-[I]Matt[/I]

44. [U][B]The Who[/B][/U]

45. [U][B]Dead Kennedys[/B][/U]
The Dead Kennedys are one of the most popular, influential and loved hardcore punk bands ever. They merged politics, humor and rage. Countless lawsuits and battles with the police went on, but the band kept on producing amazing albums. Their most famous and popular, is their debut [I]Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables[/I] is an absolutley must own punk record, and features songs such as "California Uber Alles" and "Holiday in Cambodia". Controversy followed them everywhere. Lasting 8 years, the
band left a legacy.
-[I]Dan[/I]

46. [U][B]Oasis[/B][/U]
Oasis are a rock band originally formed in Manchester, England. The band is led by principal songwriter and lead guitarist Noel Gallagher and his younger brother lead vocalist/songwriter Liam Gallagher, who are the only remaining original band members. Having survived the loss of founding members and sustaining support from their loyal fan base, Oasis have managed to outlast many of their Britpop contemporaries. Suede, Pulp and some other peer groups have split up, or record only infrequently, while Oasis maintain a regular schedule of releases and touring to popular acclaim. Their latest album [I]Don't Believe The Truth[/I], released in 2005, was a moderate critical and commercial success. Oasis evolved from an earlier band called The Rain, who took their name from a 1966 Beatles B-side. The Rain comprised Paul "Guigsy" McGuigan (bass guitar), Paul "Bonehead" Arthurs (guitar), Tony McCarroll (drums) and Chris Hutton (vocals). When McGuigan invited school friend Liam Gallagher to join the group, Gallagher accepted, and quickly pushed for the band's name to be changed to Oasis. Oasis first played live in August of 1991, at the Boardwalk club in Manchester. Noel Gallagher, who had recently returned from touring America as a roadie for the Inspiral Carpets, came to watch his younger brother play. A few months later he was invited to join the band. Although he had been critical of them, he agreed, with the provision that he would become the band's sole songwriter and leader, and that they would commit to an earnest pursuit of commercial success. [I]Live Demonstration[/I] would form the basis for Oasis' first album. Ten cassette copies of [I]Live Demonstration[/I] were sent out with a J-card insert depicting a swirling Union Jack and the now famous Oasis logo designed by Tony French but no response was received. Oasis has released 6 albums to date. [I]Definitely Maybe[/I] was released on August 30, 1994. [I](What’s The Story) Morning Glory?[/I] was released October 2, 1995 and is the second biggest selling album in the UK. Next came [I]Be Here Now[/I] on August 21, 1997 and was the UK’s fastest selling album ever. [I]Standing On The Shoulders of Giants[/I] was released on February 28, 2000. Their most recent album is [I]Don’t Believe the Truth[/I] and it was released on May 30, 2005.
-[I]Matt[/I]

Mute Print 06-11-2006 12:32 PM

47. [U][B]Muse[/B][/U]
Muse are an alternative rock band, formed in 1994, and hail from Devon, UK. The three members of Muse are; Matt Bellamy (vocals, guitar, piano), Chris Wolstenholme (bass) and Dom Howard (Drums / Percussion). The band were originally called the "Rocket Baby Dolls" and solely formed to enter a Battle Of The Bands competition, where they were the worst musicians there, but still won the competition, due to their stage presence (smashing all of the equipment the brought with them). After this gig, they changed the name of the band to Muse. In 1998, Muse recorded their first EP, [i]Muse[/i], this lead to them being signed by Madonna's record label, Maverick, and another EP to be released. Eventually, the group's first Full Length was released, entitled [i]Showbiz[/i]. This album was heavily compared to the likes of Radiohead, and the album spawned singles such as [i]Muscle Museum[/i] and [i]Sunburn[/i]. Three years later, Muse were in the studio again, recording [i]Origin Of Symmetry[/i]. This album is widely renowned as Muse's greatest album to date, and the band enjoyed heavy success from it. After numerous tours, and a live DVD/B-Sides compilation named [i]Hullabaloo[/i], the band recorded [i]Absolution[/i] in 2004. This was the most commercially successful of their albums, and is the most recognizable one to the general listener. This album also came along with a worldwide tour, which notably included headlining the Pyramid Stage at Glastonbury. Muse are also set for a new album this year with a May 3rd release date scheduled, although the album has no title yet, a number of tracks have already been recorded.
-[I]Jamie[/I]

48. [B][U]Foo Fighters[/U][/B]
The best thing about Nirvana? Probably the Foo Fighters coming from them. While still drumming for Nirvana, creative force Dave Ghrol was writing and recording songs himself, more as a hobby than anything else. These would become the foundation of the Foo Fighters. After the death of Kurt Cobain and subsequent break up of Nirvana, Dave withdrew into his own little world, recording extensively to keep his mind from the loss of his band mate and friend. This led to the release of the first Foo Fighters album in demo form, with Ghrol recording all of the instruments himself. Dave decided to form a band, rather than leading a solo project, and so he met up with the Sunny Day Real Estate bass player Nate Mendel, and Drummer William Goldsmith. Dave was also joined by Ex-Germs and Nirvana guitarist Pat Smear. The band took their name from the World War II term for UFO's, and released their first self titled album in 1995. The album was a hit, and the fun pop-rock anthems and downtuned heavy rock songs made heavy radio play. It wasn’t until 1997 when the band recorded their follow up album [I]The Colour and the Shape[/I], with new ex-Alanis Morrisette Drummer Taylor Hawkins. Almost immediately after the release of [I]The Colour and the Shape[/I], Guitarist Pat Smear also left the band. Despite this, the albums single "Monkey Wrench" launched the band into massive mainstream success. They recruited guitarist Franz Stahl for the recording of 1999's [I]There is Nothing Left to Lose[/I]. However, Stahl left shortly after the release of the album, and the band were once again forced to find another new guitarist. The final lineup was finally brought together when guitarist Chris Shiflett (formally of No Use For a Name) joined. The band recorded their most polished recorded to date, [I]One by One[/I] in 2002, followed by the double album [I]In Your Honour[/I] in 2005. In their time, the Foo Fighters emotional, sometimes melodic, sometimes heavy rock anthems have secured them a place as one of the most famous bands of all time.
-[I]Oz[/I]

49. [U][B]Coldplay[/B][/U]
Coldplay is a post-Britpop/alternative rock band from London, United Kingdom known for their rock melodies and introspective lyrics. The band currently consists of: Chris Martin: lead vocals, piano/keyboard, guitar, Jon Buckland: guitar, harmonica, backing vocals, Guy Berryman: bass guitar, synthesizer, harmonica, backing vocals, and Will Champion: drums/percussion, piano, backing vocals. Coldplay's early material was reminiscent of artists such as Radiohead, Oasis, Jeff Buckley, Travis and Kate Bush. Martin has stated that he has been hugely influenced by U2. Other influences include Pink Floyd, The Beatles, a-ha, R.E.M, Echo and the Bunnymen, Bob Dylan, The Flaming Lips and, more recently, Johnny Cash. The members of the band met in the halls of residence at the University College London in September 1996. Martin and Buckland were the first members of the band, having met one another during freshers' week. They spent the rest of the year planning a band; at one point Martin had considered forming an *NSYNC inspired boy band called Pectoralz. Eventually, Berryman joined the ranks, without consideration of what musical direction the band was taking. On 8 January 1998, the band's line-up was complete when Champion joined the band to take up percussion duties. On May 18, 1998 the band released 500 copies of the EP [I]Safety[/I]. Most of the discs were given to record companies and friends; only 50 copies remained for sale to the public. In December, Coldplay was signed by indie label Fierce Panda, after founder Simon Williams had attended the band's gig that evening. The result was the three track EP [I]Brothers And Sisters[/I] which was quickly recorded over four days in February 1999. The disc was released in April, only 2,500 copies were pressed in a very limited release. Interest in the band was slowly growing across the UK, helped by regular airplay from BBC Radio 1 DJ Steve Lamacq and BMG Music Publishing, which had signed the band to a development deal. After completing their final examinations, Coldplay was signed to Parlophone for a five-album contract in the spring of 1999. After making their first appearance at Glastonbury, the band went into studio to record a third EP titled [I]The Blue Room[/I]. The disc was released in October, and 5,000 copies were made available to the public. The recording sessions for [I]The Blue Room[/I] were tumultuous. Martin kicked Champion out of the band but later pleaded with him to return and due to his guilt; Martin (a self-proclaimed non-drinker and non-smoker) went on a drinking binge. Eventually, the band worked out their differences and put in place a new set of rules to keep the group intact. Coldplay released their first full-length album, [I]Parachutes[/I], in July 2000, which debuted at #1 on the UK Albums Chart. With much anticipation, Coldplay released their second album, [I]A Rush of Blood to the Head[/I] in August 2002. Coldplay's third album, [I]X&Y[/I], was released on 6 June 2005 in the UK, and was soon to become one of the best selling album for 2005 (with 8.4 million copies sold worldwide), along with Mariah Carey and 50 Cent.
-[I]Matt[/I]

50. [U][B]Death Cab For Cutie[/B][/U]
Death Cab for Cutie is an American rock band formed in Bellingham, Washington in 1997. The band takes its name from a satirical song performed by the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band. Death Cab for Cutie began as a solo project of Ben Gibbard while he was the guitar player for the band Pinwheel. As Death Cab for Cutie, Gibbard released a cassette, titled [I]You Can Play These Songs with Chords[/I] in 1997. The release was surprisingly successful, and Gibbard decided to expand the band into a complete project. After recruiting a few more band members, [I]Something About Airplanes[/I] was released in 1998. The album got favorable reviews from the independent music scene, and in 2000, the follow-up was released: [I]We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes[/I]. Nathan Good, the drummer, left the band at some point during the recording of the album. His playing on "The Employment Pages" and "Company Calls Epilogue" were kept, but Gibbard played drums on all other songs. New drummer Michael Schorr would first appear on [I]The Forbidden Love [/I]E.P., released in fall of 2000. In 2001, another LP was released, entitled [I]The Photo Album[/I]. In 2003, there was another change of drummer, with Jason McGerr of Eureka Farm replacing Schorr. McGerr would play drums on the next release, [I]Transatlanticism[/I], which came out in October of 2003. In 2005 Death Cab for Cutie released their most recent album [I]Plans[/I].
-[I]Matt[/I]

Mute Print 06-11-2006 12:33 PM

51. [U][B]Lifetime[/B][/U]
Lifetime is a melodic hardcore band from New Jersey. Lifetime was formed in 1990 and disbanded in 1997. In late 2005, they announced their reunion. The band was formed in 1990 by singer Ari Katz and guitarist Dan Yemin with its roots in the New York/New Jersey hardcore scene. In contrast to the negative, sometimes violent tone promulgated their New York hardcore contemporaries, lyricist Katz emphasized more positive, personal themes in their two-minute songs. In 1992, Lifetime released their first full-length album, entitled [I]Background[/I]; that bore only passing resemblance to their later, more melodic work. By 1995, the band achieved some form of stability with the addition of Pete Martin (guitar), David Palaitis (bass), and Scott Golley (drums). That same year, they released their second album, [I]Hello Bastards[/I] on Jade Tree Records. [I]Hello Bastards[/I] marked a slight shift in direction, incorporating more melodic punk leanings over a driving hardcore tempo. Ari Katz's lyrics, though sometimes undecipherable, dealt mainly with more introspective and personal themes such as relationships and youthful disaffection. [I]Hello Bastards[/I] also includes a cover of It's Not Funny Anymore by the seminal 1980s alternative rock band Hüsker Dü, hinting at the band's musical influences.

In 1996, Lifetime issued a compilation of their 7" releases and unreleased songs, on Glue Records, also released in Europe by Day After Records. In 1997, the band completed its third full-length [I]Jersey's Best Dancers[/I]. With twelve songs clocking in at less than 24 minutes, [I]Jersey's Best Dancers[/I] continued in the same vein as [I]Hello Bastards[/I]. However, after a short tour in support of their new album, Lifetime decided to disband in 1997. After disbanding, Dan Yemin went on to become a member of two other punk bands, the short-lived Kid Dynamite and Paint It Black. Dave Palaitis, Ari Katz, and his wife Tannis Kristjanson went on to form Zero Zero. Most recently, The band got together for a series of 3 well-received and long awaited reunion shows over the weekend of Aug.19th to the 21st, 2005. The shows were a result of the cancellation of Hellfest, in which Lifetime was scheduled to play on Saturday August 20th. Two shows took place in Philadelphia, one at The Trocadero Theatre where Lifetime played along with Vision and one on Saturday August 20th at the Starlight Ballroom which featured the reunion of hardcore band 108. The final reunion show was held at The Stone Pony in Asbury Park, New Jersey, which featured opening bands The Loved Ones and The Bouncing Souls. Some profits from the show went to charities such as New Labor, The OUT Fund, the Nature Conservancy, and Linda Ann's Greyhound Rescue Inc. Lifetime went on to play 3 more reunion shows in California over a weekend in January. The shows were at the Troubadour in Los Angeles on January 27th, at the Chain Reaction in Anaheim on January 28th, and at Slims in San Francisco on January 29th. November 17th, 2005 brought the announcement from the band that they are officially reforming. The band played another reunion show at the 2006 South by Southwest Festival in Austin, TX on March 17th, 2006. The show was free and donations went to breast cancer research by Shirt for a Cure. In late March of 2006, Lifetime signed onto Decaydance, Pete Wentz's imprint of Fueled By Ramen Records, with the statement: "Pete and Decaydance are giving us an opportunity to the make the record we want to make while still staying in control of our music and our lives. They are behind us as artists and because of that, we're backing them as a label." Lifetime has plans to record and release a new studio album.
-[I]Matt[/I]

52. [U][B]Michael Jackson[/B][/U]

53 [U][B]Converge[/B][/U]

54. [U][B]At The Drive-In[/B][/U]
One of the more influential Post-Punk projects of the 90's, At the Drive-In's most publicized asset was either the intensity of their live shows, or the dual afros of Omar and Cedric. The former was most key to the band's music though, however, the band struggled to translate that same intensity into their studio recordings and didn't find much success on CD until [I]Relationship of Command[/I], their last CD together oddly enough. Prior to [I]Relationship of Command[/I], the band released [I]In/Casino/Out[/I] which was a "live" studio album crafted in the band's attempt to harness their live energy on record. Citing a dissatisfaction with the direction the band was taking, Cedric spilt the band in 2001. Upon splitting, Omar and Cedric created The Mars Volta while the other members formed Sparta.
-[I]Vince[/I]

55. [U][B]Bad Brains[/B][/U]

56. [U][B]Strike Anywhere[/B][/U]
One of the few modern Punk bands to still write politically-aware lyrics and actually take actions based on their liberal beliefs, Strike Anywhere presents a catchy but aggressive form of Melodic Hardcore to listeners. Though only releasing two full length albums and a collection of rarities and B-sides, Strike Anywhere has already built a loyal fan base through their meaningful music and exposure on compilation albums. Characterized by the same catchiness as fellow Melodic Hardcore band Rise Against, though keeping an edge Rise Against lost on their latest album, Strike Anywhere delivers a strong message backed by an aggressive music that compliments the lyrical material perfectly.
-[I]Vince[/I]

57. [U][B]Beach Boys[/B][/U]

58. [U][B]Cursive[/B][/U]

59. [U][B]Led Zeppelin[/B][/U]

60. [U][B]Rites Of Spring[/B][/U]

61. [U][B]The Fall Of Troy[/B][/U]
The Fall of Troy was formed out of the band The Thirty Years War, which was made up of Thomas Erak, Mike Munro, Tim Ward, and Andrew Forsman. Two EP’s were put out by the band but just as they were going into the studio to make another recording Mike quit the band saying he had work commitments. The band then changed their name to The Fall of Troy by using the same method they used for their previous name: Open a history textbook and point at random locations 'til the found something they
liked. On November 4, 2003 the band released their first full-length album on Lujo Records, which was self-titled. A song on the album called "F.C.P.S.I.T.S.G.E.P.G.E.P.G.E.P." is a secret abbreviation that the band refuses to give the meaning out publicly. It stands for F[SIZE="2"]uc[/SIZE]k Condoms,
Premarital Sex Is The S[SIZE="2"]hi[/SIZE]t, Get ‘Em Pregnant, Get ‘Em Pregnant, Get ‘Em Pregnant. They released their second full-length album on August 16, 2005 on Equal Vision records entitled [i]Doppelganger[/i]. The band is influence by Rush, and King Crimson. All three of the band members are 21 years old and plan on releasing another album by late 2006 or early 2007.
-[I]Zach[/I]

62. [U][B]Saetia[/B][/U]

63. [U][B]Avenged Sevenfold[/B][/U]
Avenged Sevenfold formed in 1999 in Huntington Beach, California. They debuted with [I]Sounding the Seventh Trumpet¯[/I] in 2001, their mix of hardcore, metal and punk won over plenty of fans, and in 2003 they released [I]Waking the Fallen[/I]¯, which is possibly their most popular release, it's their most accessible and middle album as STST is very hard and faster, while their major label debut [I]City of Evil[/I] is much more in the style of old school rock and metal, with the singer not doing any screaming and instead singing throughout all the songs. Not all fans responded well to this change. Either way though, A7X are one of the most dangerous bands in rock and metal.
-[I]Dan[/I]

64. [U][B]Tool[/B][/U]
Formed in LA in 1990, Tool has built a hugely devoted fan base over the past decade and a half. Their second full length release, [I]Aenima[/I], garnered much praise and their next release, [I]Lateralus[/I], finished pushing the band into a relatively mainstream fan base. Incontestably pretentious, Tool's music contains many of the ambient features common to the 70's Progressive Rock bands, such as Rush, King Crimson, and Yes. There is an on-going debate as to how to class Tool into a certain genre and generally the only consensus is that no one agrees on any one genre. Controversy and rumors abound with this band, ranging from MTV's banning of several Tool music videos to the 5 year hiatus the band took between [I]Aenima[/I] and [I]Lateralus[/I]. The only sure thing with Tool is the assurance there will always be a buzz about them, good or bad.
-[I]Vince[/I]

Mute Print 06-11-2006 12:33 PM

65. [U][B]Black Sabbath[/B][/U]
Forefathers of Heavy Metal. Not just definers of a genre, but the founders of one. Forming in the mid 1960's with John Micheal Osbourne on vocals, Tonny Iommi on Guitar, Terrance Butler on bass and Bill Ward on drums. They took their name from the title of a Borris Karloff film, and originally played in their local area as a blues band. It wasn't long however, before they realized no one was paying them any attention, so they decided to turn the music up, and make it heavy. They were signed relatively quickly; in 1969 they released their first self titled album, which reached the UK top 10. In September 1970, the band released their second album [I]Paranoid[/I], the title track reached the UK top 5, and the album went to number one in the UK album charts. The album reached the top 10 in America in 1971. The following albums, [I]Master of Reality[/I] and [I]Vol. 4[/I] where hugely successful on both sides of the Atlantic, and the band brought in keyboardist Rick Wakeman, signaling a slight change in the bands sound. The band recorded several more albums, before Osbourne (now Ozzy Osbourne) was kicked out due to excessive drink and drugs problems, and started his own solo career. In 1979, Rainbow singer Ronnie James Dio joined the band, and keyboards where used far more frequently in the bands recording. The first album with Dio was released in April 1980, and was hugely popular, spawning 2 top 10 hits. Drummer Bill Ward left the band due to ill health, and was replaced by Vinnie Appice. The band then recorded [I]Mob Rules[/I] in 1981, but there was disagreement in the mixing stage of the album, and Dio and Appice left the band. The band persuaded Ward to return to the drums in 1984, recruiting former Deep Purple singer Ian Gillian. During the bands Live Aid set in 1985, the band was reunited with Ozzy once more, bringing the original line up back. It didn't last however, and all the members went their separate ways, leaving guitarist Tony Iommi to experiment with other musicians under the name Black Sabbath. The bands 1979-1983 lineup (Iommi, Butler, Dio and Appice) was reunited in 1992. Despite giving the band their first US top 40 for 9 years, it didn't last and Dio and Appice left once more, causing another shift in lineup for several months. In 1997, the band's original line up reformed to record a reunion album and to tour. The band has remained fairly dormant since. Sabbath's mighty metal riffs, psychedelic lyrics, wailing despair of music which assaults the ears has been the trend setters for many heavy metal bands ever since, and have to be one of the most definitive bands of all time.
-[I]Oz[/I]

66. [U][B]Operation Ivy[/B][/U]
Ska-Punk legends Operation Ivy formed in the late 80's and only lasted a few years but they paved the way for Ska-punk bands for many years to come. Featuring two of the Rancid¯ band members, they were a huge underground hit. Only releasing one album, [I]Energy[/I]¯ it would be hard to see why these guys are so famous, but one listen in its obvious why. Their intoxicating mix of Ska and Punk is so fun and catchy. The songs will be in your head for a long time coming. Absolute legends.
-[I]Dan[/I]

67. [U][B]The Smiths[/B][/U]
Formed in 1982, Morrissey, Johnny Marr, Andy Rourke, and Mike Joyce would become the most famous Brit-pop band of all time. Even though the Smiths only lasted for 5 years, their influence and popularity exists today just as much as it did back then. The band was known for Morrissey's witty, unusual, and sometimes depressing lyrics, as well as Johnny Marr's excellent guitar playing. Every album of theirs nears perfection, and their music will be appreciated for many years to come.
-[I]Spence[/I]

68. [U][B]The Doors[/B][/U]

69. [U][B]Funeral Diner[/B][/U]

70. [U][B]Cap'n Jazz[/B][/U]

71. [U][B]Lostprophets[/B][/U]
Lostprophets formed in 1997 and were playing club gigs for a while and released a few demos. Their debut album [I]The Fake Sound Of Progress[/I] was released in 2000 on Visible Noise, their most well known song being "Shinobi Vs Dragon Ninja . Their second album [I]Start Something[/I] was released in 2004 and reached number 4 in the UK album charts. They have just finished their new album with Metallica producer Bob Rock, Josh Freese has been confirmed as a new member of the band.
-[I]Cameron[/I]

72. [U][B]Set It Straight[/B][/U]
Made up of former members of Till Death, Set It Straight is a straight edge hardcore band from Redding, California. Consisting of Curt Baer (guitar), Nate Corbin (drums), Harry Petty (vocals), and Ben Paulsen (bass), Set It Straight has gathered a moderate following in the hardcore scene because of their strong riffs and positive lyrics. So far, Set It Straight has released one full-length album and two split EPs. They are currently finishing up a new record, [I]Live Your Heart And Never Follow[/I], which is scheduled to be released sometime in June.
-[I]Brian[/I]

73. [U][B]Pelican[/B][/U]

74. [U][B]Hot Water Music[/B][/U]
Hot Water Music was formed in 1993 out of Gainesville, Florida. The members of the band are Chuck Ragan, Chris Wollard, Jason Black, and George Rebelo. The bands name was taken from a book by Charles Bukowski, which has the same name. In 1996 the band had recorded two EP’s and one
full-length album but disbanded for a short time. They came back together however in 1997. They released 8 more full-length albums, their latest being [I]The New What Next[/I] which was released on Epitaph Records on September 21, 2004. As of 2005 Hot Water Music is on a somewhat permanent hiatus due to lead singer Chuck Ragan’s leaving the band due to family problems. The three remaining members of the band started a new project titled, The Draft.
-[I]Zach[/I]

75. [U][B]Dredg[/B][/U]
Forming in 1993 from the Metal cover band Bi-Standard, Dredg is another of the modern Progressive bands to begin garnering mainstream popularity. Though their early work is characterized by more Rap/Metal influences like so many Nu-Metal bands in the 90's, that influence has been primarily dropped in favor of a more experimental and generally lighter, and more radio friendly, sound. One of the band's big breaks was a world tour Alien Ant Farm invited the band to join them on, as well as being signed by Interscope Records. Their third full length, [I]Catch Without Arms[/I], was heavily promoted at indie record shops and landed a single on infrequent radio play. Characterized by the solid musicianship of their previous records, while adding a catchier poppy sound, the album is very accessible to all sorts of listeners.
-[I]Vince[/I]

76. [U][B]Joshua Fit For Battle[/B][/U]

77. [U][B]The Pogues[/B][/U]

78. [U][B]Glassjaw[/B][/U]
By far one of the best post-hardcore bands to ever exist. Their two full-length releases, [i]Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Silence[/i] and [i]Worship and Tribute[/i] are filled with passion and raw emotion. Daryl Palumbo's powerful and unique voice, the effects of Justin Beck's guitar, the heavy and distorted bass runs of Manuel Carrero, and the flawless drums of Durijah Lang make for one hell of a band.
-[I]Spence[/I]

79. [U][B]The Number Twelve Looks Like You[/B][/U]
The Number Twelve Looks Like You are a group of six guys, formed around 2001 in Bergen County, New Jersey. Their name comes from the title of a Twilight Zone episode and the band was formerly known as And Ever before they decided to slightly change their style. Their first full-length album was released in 2003 on Brutal Records entitled [I]Put On Your Rosy Red Glasses[/I]. During the same year they were signed to Eyeball Records and on January 25, 2005 they released an EP entitled, [I]An Inch of Gold for an Inch of Time[/I] then on June 7th of the same year they released their second full length album, [I]Nuclear, Sad, Nuclear[/I].
-[I]Zach[/I]

80. [U][B]Choking Victim[/B][/U]
Choking Victim formed in the late 90's and were a bunch of ska loving punks with a huge amount of energy and angst. Their music is fast, aggressive and melodic. The record [I]No Gods No Managers[/I], is a great example of amazing 3rd wave ska. They played lots of ska and the band eventually broke up and lots of the former members went on to join the ska punk band, Leftover Crack.
-[I]Dan[/I]

Mute Print 06-11-2006 12:34 PM

81. [U][B]Explosions In The Sky[/B][/U]

82. [U][B]In Flames[/B][/U]
Since their inception in 1990, In Flames has been one of the pioneers of the genre Gothenburg Metal, a similar style to Melodic Death Metal. In Flames has 9 full-length albums to their name as well as several EPs and over the course of those albums has had many aural evolutions. While their earlier albums experimented with harmonized guitars in the context of Melodic Death Metal, their later albums have incorporated Industrial influences that alienated some fans while garnering others. Their latest release, [I]Come Clarity[/I], takes more influences from their roots and relies more on the classic harmonized leads and solos that characterized their earlier works.
-[I]Vince[/I]

83. [U][B]Opeth[/B][/U]

84. [U][B]Pg. 99[/B][/U]

85. [U][B]Love Lost But Not Forgotten[/B][/U]

86. [U][B]Minus The Bear[/B][/U]
Minus the Bear was formed in 2001 and is made up of Dave Knudson, Cory Murchy, Jake Snider, Erin Tate, and Matt Bayles. The bands name is an inside joke between the members. They have released three EP’s and two full-length albums. The band is known for their rather amusing song titles, some of them include, “Hey Wanna Throw Up? Get Me Naked,” “Monkey!!! Knife!!! Fight!!!” and “Lemurs, Man, Lemurs”. Despite these funny titles, the bands music is quite technical, on their latest release,
[I]Menos el Oso[/I], the songs don’t have the same humorous punch lines. On January 2, 2006, Matt Bayles, keyboardist and producer for Minus the Bear, announced he was leaving the band to work on his record production. The band replaced him with Alex Rose.
-[I]Zach[/I]

87. [U][B]On The Might Of Princes[/B][/U]

88. [U][B]Sick Of It All[/B][/U]

89. [U][B]Go It Alone[/B][/U]
Go It Alone is a hardcore band that formed in British Columbia, Canada in 2002. The band has drawn much of their influence from lesser-known youth crew bands such as Battery, Outlast, and Section 8. Soon after forming, the band released a six-song demo called the Hollywood North Demo. In 2005, Go It Alone released their debut full-length, [I]The Only Blood Between Us[/I], and has begun to develop a sizeable following, especially in the west. Most recently, Go It Alone recorded a split EP with Blue Monday, which was released on Rivalry Records in early 2006.
-[I]Brian[/I]

90. [U][B]Nine Inch Nails[/B][/U]

Mute Print 06-11-2006 12:35 PM

91. [U][B]A Perfect Circle[/B][/U]
Billy Howerdel formed a Perfect Circle in 1999. Howerdel worked as a guitar tech for bands such as Nine Inch Nails and Tool. During his time working with Tool he showed some of his demos to Tools vocalist,
Maynard James Keenan. Even though originally Howerdel wanted a female vocalist Keenan offered to sing, if Howerdel were to form a band. The band was originally made up of, Josh Freese, Tim Alexander, Troy Van Leeuwen, Paz Lenchantin Billy Howerdel and Maynard James Keenan. They began to rehearse music that Howerdel had written. They recorded and released their first full-length album [I]Mer de Noms[/I] (French for "Sea of Names") After this Lenchantin, and Van Leeuwen both left the band for new projects. These positions were taken over by Jeordie White, and James Iha. The band released a second album on September 16, 2003 entitled [I]Thirteenth Step[/I]. Their third album entitled [I]eMOTIVe[/I] was released on November 4, 2004. On November 16, 2005 the band released a CD/DVD titled [I]aMOTION[/I]. Currently A Perfect Circle are on hiatus, due to Keenan’s commitments to Tool. Other members have been seeking out new projects and Howerdel has stated that he is planning a solo album.
-[I]Zach[/I]

92. [U][B]Orchid[/B][/U]

93. [U][B]The Specials[/B][/U]

94. [U][B]Isis[/B][/U]

95. [U][B]A Day In Black And White[/B][/U]

96. [U][B]City Of Catepillar[/B][/U]

97. [U][B]Kite Flying Society[/B][/U]

98. [U][B]The Locust[/B][/U]
It's very hard to describe a band as unusual as The Locust. With their crazy music, outrageous costumes, and sometimes insane fans, they are one of the most unique bands out there today. The synth gives them a weird flair, and their witty song titles such as "Halo of Pubic Hair and Earwax Manufactured for the Champion in All of Us" and "Priest With the Sexually Transmitted Diseases, Get Out of My Bed" never fail to get a weird look from first time listeners. Their members have also spawned many side projects such as Holy Molar, Headwound City, and Tarantula Hawk, which are great as well.
-[I]Spence[/I]

99. [U][B]The Unseen[/B][/U]

100. [U][B]The Black Dahlia Murder[/B][/U]
The Black Dahlia Murder is a Metal band out of Detroit, Michigan. They are made up of Trevor Strnad, Brian Eschbach, John Kempainen, Bart Williams, and Pierre Langois. Their music largely uses the style of Gothenburg metal. The bands name comes from the unsolved mystery of the murder case of the actress Elizabeth Short. She was often referred to as The Black Dahlia. The band has released two EP’s and an album in 2003 entitled, [I]Unhallowed[/I]. Also an album on July 12, 2005 called, [I]Miasma[/I]. They are currently on the Metal Blade label.
-[I]Zach[/I]

Mute Print 06-11-2006 12:36 PM

[CENTER][B][SIZE=5]Blurb Count[/SIZE][/B][/CENTER]

Vince: 14
Matt: 12
Dan: 8
Zach: 8
Oz: 7
Brian: 5
Spence: 3
Cameron: 2
Jamie: 2
Cobert: 1

Thanks a lot to everyone who took the time to write blurbs, and everyone who voted.

Kif 06-11-2006 12:36 PM

...is it finished?

I'm still shocked at some of the top results. Oh, does this mean none of these bands can be voted for in the 150 songs thing?

Mute Print 06-11-2006 12:38 PM

[QUOTE]...is it finished?[/QUOTE]
I'd like to get more blurbs, but other than that, it's finished. :p

[QUOTE]
I'm still shocked at some of the top results. Oh, does this mean none of these bands can be voted for in the 150 songs thing?[/QUOTE]
That's all up to Dan.

form 06-11-2006 12:38 PM

[QUOTE]35. N.W.A.
Raddddddd.
-Cobert[/QUOTE]
lol

wtf @ TBDM @ 100! and Dredg @ 75!

I'll upload some of both of them for daily upload change peoples minds ^_^

Pazz 06-11-2006 12:44 PM

I could have done like 4 more blurbs, but people called them and never did them.

Get Fighted 06-11-2006 12:46 PM

Ah sweet, the blurbs are up.

Angry Balled Fists! 06-11-2006 12:46 PM

yay for joint 2nd contributer.

Good work, i'm most happy with Minor Threat making the top 10 :D

Pazz 06-11-2006 12:47 PM

I will do Rage Against The Machine, Poison The Well, Propaghandi, and Oasis today.

DepthsOfDreams555 06-11-2006 12:49 PM

Someone is going to have to do one for The Beatles. I find it funny that so many people voted for them yet no one wanted to a blurb on them.

Pazz 06-11-2006 01:02 PM

I will do one for a few leftover ones later if I have time after doing these 4.

Pazz 06-11-2006 01:46 PM

Alright, I did: Rage Against The Machine, Poison The Well, Propagandhi, Oasis and The Beatles.

I will also do Refused, Hot Cross, Coldplay, and Lifetime right now.

Brian: I will send them all to you at once.

Tjebby 06-11-2006 01:50 PM

Set It Staright is in the 70's? Thats ghey

And I dunno. This list is kinda iffy to me. I just don't like it.

Pazz 06-11-2006 02:32 PM

I just sent in 9 more blurbs.

This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 14 seconds.

Oz Rembrandt 06-11-2006 04:05 PM

Aw nuts, I knew my blurbs were way too long.

Pazz 06-11-2006 04:14 PM

[QUOTE=Oz Rembrandt]Aw nuts, I knew my blurbs were way too long.[/QUOTE]

Just wait until you see the ones I wrote today.:p A couple of them are huge.

cobert 06-11-2006 05:06 PM

[quote]35. N.W.A.
Raddddddd.
-Cobert
[/quote]

:lol:

I thought by the time you psoted somebody would haev written a blurb on thm, but I guess not.

Oh, and the list is allright. Most of the emo bands were in the bottom twenty, and somehow they all got beaten out by....In Flames.

Henrik 06-11-2006 05:26 PM

[QUOTE=Oz Rembrandt]Aw nuts, I knew my blurbs were way too long.[/QUOTE]
I love your blurbs.. Really good job there.

Ross 06-12-2006 02:13 AM

Still can't believe the beatles won this. :amaze:

Fire Away 06-12-2006 05:40 AM

Woot for Rise Against getting #13. Wouldn't have expected that.