Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Jam Session (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   The**OFFICIAL**Voice/Singing Help Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370155)

denboy 08-10-2005 07:46 AM

Doing vocal excersizes while running.. will this help me improve my ability to sustain a note? And my overall singing stamina?

The_Red_Death 08-10-2005 04:45 PM

Alright... I've been trying to teach myself how to sing lately. I can't afford lessons, and definently won't be able to for quite some time. I've been having some problems...

One, whenever I sing, it sounds weak, and every time I record it and play it back, it sounds like I'm continually holding back, and no matter what I do, I can't seem to stop that. I have range, I just can't use it, becuase it always sounds weak and shaky.

Two, whenever I try to scream, it's like my voice just locks up and no sound comes out at all. It's rather annoying. Especially considering I've wanted to be a singer for as long as I can remember. What can I say, I'm an attention whore. :p

Thanks for your help.

Merkaba 08-10-2005 05:52 PM

[QUOTE=Knifeboy]Doing vocal excersizes while running.. will this help me improve my ability to sustain a note? And my overall singing stamina?[/QUOTE]I've done it before....not that much...I dont think it really helped me all that much. It does warm you up though, just to jog by itself. I would be too concentrated on the nature going on around me, and would always sing afterwards.

I dont really know...the key is that you usually increase diaphragm endurance...and lung efficiency and lung capacity of course by jogging/exercise. THat translates into longer possible notes, stronger possible notes.

If you do, be careful because it seems too easy to strain or grunt.

[QUOTE=The_Red_Death]Alright... I've been trying to teach myself how to sing lately. I can't afford lessons, and definently won't be able to for quite some time. I've been having some problems...

One, whenever I sing, it sounds weak, and every time I record it and play it back, it sounds like I'm continually holding back, and no matter what I do, I can't seem to stop that. I have range, I just can't use it, becuase it always sounds weak and shaky.

Two, whenever I try to scream, it's like my voice just locks up and no sound comes out at all. It's rather annoying. Especially considering I've wanted to be a singer for as long as I can remember. What can I say, I'm an attention whore. :p

Thanks for your help.[/QUOTE]

go here [url]http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219911[/url]

zaneo88 08-11-2005 05:36 AM

I have a problem in my falsetto.

When I sing in falsetto around a G or G# note, it doesn't work. I kinda get two notes mixed together and it sounds horrible. The rest of my falsetto I can use fine. I really don't understand what the problem is and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Signing off, a struggling singer :upset:

Merkaba 08-11-2005 09:24 AM

[QUOTE=zaneo88]I have a problem in my falsetto.

When I sing in falsetto around a G or G# note, it doesn't work. I kinda get two notes mixed together and it sounds horrible. The rest of my falsetto I can use fine. I really don't understand what the problem is and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Signing off, a struggling singer :upset:[/QUOTE]
Is this the top of your range? If so then that would be an obvious reason.

flamesofbodom 08-11-2005 09:30 PM

Okay Sliptallica recommended i came to you Merkaba. Im a newb to singing well.

Basically what are good exercises for singing? Also for screaming?

And can you choose what kind of growl you do? I like Opeth's vocals the most because he sounds so evil when he growls and sounds beautiful when he sings if that helps you at all.

meatpuppet1593 08-13-2005 05:05 PM

[QUOTE=AngusYoung413]Umm I was wondering how to add a more raspy tone to my voice. I know you covered raspy fallsetto screams, Merkaba, but I just wanted to know how to add rasp to my normal singing voice.[/QUOTE]

go under water or put your face in a pilo and scream as loud as you can for a while it happened to me but i didnt want it to

and your talking voice will get raspy and cracked

Merkaba 08-14-2005 05:24 AM

[QUOTE=flamesofbodom]Okay Sliptallica recommended i came to you Merkaba. Im a newb to singing well.

Basically what are good exercises for singing? Also for screaming?

And can you choose what kind of growl you do? I like Opeth's vocals the most because he sounds so evil when he growls and sounds beautiful when he sings if that helps you at all.[/QUOTE]
[url]http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219911[/url]

But nah...that doesnt help me. Because its all the same. But it will be a matter of how your vocal setup is(i.e. size of layrnx,cords,etc, which you cant change) combined with your strength and flexibility and stamina(which you can change). Anyone want to post a sample of Akerfeldt's stuff...????

[Bad Advice]

[QUOTE=meatpuppet1593]go under water or put your face in a pilo and scream as loud as you can for a while it happened to me but i didnt want it to

and your talking voice will get raspy and cracked[/QUOTE]

[/Bad Advice]

Mookie 08-14-2005 12:14 PM

I like to do some low style acoustic stuff, I'm pretty happy with my voice but I do have some difficulty hitting the higher type notes. I know to practice.. and practice.. and I do, but I haven't seen myself improving at all. Any ideas?

Also.. I just recently got into screamo/hardcore stuff, and I have a pretty good scream voice.. the only thing is, a friend of mine told me if I keep practicing this I wont be able to do acoustic stuff because my voice will be damaged. Is this true? And if so how can I practice this without doing any damage so I can sing both?

Burningwater 08-14-2005 03:33 PM

Here's my question: What exercises would you recommend for increasing the control of my voice so that I could pull off some Bruce Dickinson(Iron Maiden) or Geoff Tate(Queensryche) style singing? I've been swimming for a team my whole life and singing for a good year and a half so I know how to control my diaphragm, which brings me to believe that I don't have the control to pull off the higher end of the scale. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Merkaba 08-15-2005 05:37 AM

Mookie if you take your time and use proper technique you could be screaming forever as far as I'm concerned because it doesnt take as much push and strain as most people think. Hopefully you will practice enough to find this out with proper technique. I cant teach that over the internet. Learn to get raspy notes at a low amount of push. Check out the isolation thread if you havent. [url]http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219911[/url]
-----------------------
Burning water...knowing about your diaphragm is good but its not going to directly translate into singing...at least not from a swimming background. You'll have good volume and air supply maybe. But it is a bit different when you have to clamp your cords around this pillar of air...and to minimize clamping otherthings. You have to be able to keep the larynx relaxed as you go up. And you can learn to hold it open like a yawn position, as you activate the cords. If you can sing, then its just a matter of constant practice and trying to stay relaxed. Be sure to warm up good too. [url]http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219911[/url]

Burningwater 08-15-2005 02:34 PM

I did warm up and kept myself like you said, and I did get a better result. I just need to practice it more. Thanks for the help. But I've got another question. During my search for vocal guidance I came across an article that I found was very interesting. I believe it said that not only do we have the two voice registers of the chest voice and falsetto, but we've also got another register, a more subtle register that lies in between both of them. It still uses your chest voice, but you've also got the breathy feeling of falsetto and can hit higher notes with more power. I've started use that register and it has helped my singing tremendously. Now, my question is... is this actually another voice register, or is it just a mental trick to get you to hit higher notes in your chest voice?

Screamin_Demon_Auz 08-15-2005 03:14 PM

The vocal registers, in order from lowest to highest are
Vocal Fry(not really to sing, its the rattle sound you kind of make sometimes if you wake up early and make a weird, cracking noise).
Chest Voice
Mix voice
Head Voice
Falsetto
Whistle Register

Burningwater 08-15-2005 05:32 PM

Sweet, thanks for the register info.

Dumpweedrock 08-16-2005 08:46 AM

hey everyone. I sing backup for My band as well as play drums. At a show we recently had, my mic was turned up kinda loud and i ended up being louder than the lead vocals for a while. Everyone told me that i was really good and that i should try being the lead singer. Well the other day a freind of mine asked me if i wanted to sing for his band in the fall. I agreed but now im kinda running into some problems. I listen to a lot of Thrice, and i want to be able to sing like Dustin. When i sing along with the songs, i can hit every note perfectly, but when i play it on my guitar my voice just blends in with the music. I guess my question is How do you sing fairly low tone wise and still project without blending into the music. Would simply turing up the mic solve this problem? When i listen to dustin of thrice sing, it seems to me that i am matching his pitch but im not projecting as much as he is.

Beef Javelin 08-18-2005 02:20 AM

Ok, I'm 14 years old, and I have a pretty deep voice. I play in a black metal band (melodic, not the standard 3 minute speed crap), as keyboardist, and we need a vocalist. Each of us are gonna try singing, and none of us have sang seriously before.

Now, the type of vocal style I'm going for is similar to Erik from Amon Amarth, I have a fairly deep voice but it's not deep enough to sound accurately like Erik.

For reference, here's what he sounds like (mp3 taken off official site) on the track Death In Fire: [url]http://www.metalblade.de/mp3/amonamarth-Deathinfire.mp3[/url]

Any way I can deepen my voice?

lamblite 08-18-2005 08:17 PM

i'm in a metal/hardcore band, and i'm the screamer and growler, i can do lows and highs and i guess u can say extreme highs like randy of lamb of god (the squealing thing i guess) and i cant do it when i'm tired, i was jw somedays i can do it like amazing and others not so good, it's not like my voice hurts or anything it just isnt as loud or powerful, jw what was going on, we play shows all the time and i wanted to know if u knew any screaming exercises just to be on the safe side of things before a show. thanks

Merkaba 08-19-2005 06:25 AM

[QUOTE=lamblite]i'm in a metal/hardcore band, and i'm the screamer and growler, i can do lows and highs and i guess u can say extreme highs like randy of lamb of god (the squealing thing i guess) and i cant do it when i'm tired, i was jw somedays i can do it like amazing and others not so good, it's not like my voice hurts or anything it just isnt as loud or powerful, jw what was going on, we play shows all the time and i wanted to know if u knew any screaming exercises just to be on the safe side of things before a show. thanks[/QUOTE]
What do you do to warm up....oh, nothing. No wonder!

If youre serious about it then start warming up. There's just no excuse to not warm up to some degree and anything helps. You want to hold some notes and keep the cords together which keeps them moist and warmer quicker. You can be doing this stuff way before the show when youre not doing anythig or walking to the car, pissin', etc. Start in your chest voice doing melodies and such, then move to head voice. Do alot of glisses up and down before going into falsetto if youre using it later. If you can get what you want sometimes and sometimes can't..then youre not warming up enough and or youre getting excited and squeezing the throat. It doesnt seem to be out of your range, so....be smart.

Of course alcohol and smoking will sometimes....well...we know that one.

lamblite 08-19-2005 10:04 AM

thanks, i'll start warming up, usually my vocal chords are tight when i wake up but after i take a shower they losen up, i guess the steam in the hot water, and usually after we practice a song i drink water to help also and it seems to beworking. thanks for ur help

lamblite 08-19-2005 10:14 AM

here's an example of my vocals if u were interested in hearing what it sounds like and if u could tell me if i'm doing something wrong.
[url]www.myspace.com/fight4hazel[/url]
the song this is my heart has the most vocal range

PunkRockBach 08-19-2005 12:13 PM

The way I started singing was playing scales on an instrument and singing with it. Get the tonic down so you can hold it forever and than go up and down the scale. Using sol feg is also really helpful. Go up and down scales (do re mi fa so la ti do) and other patterns too(5ths: do so, re la ect.). Up and down triads seemed to help me the most (do mi so mi do, re fa la fa re, ect.)

Mr_Monroe 08-19-2005 12:55 PM

Help with High Screams..

one of my vocalist idols would be non other than Dani Filth... i probally couldnt do anything close to him, but does anyone have any INFO on how i could do some High Pitch Vocals?

Merkaba 08-19-2005 04:44 PM

[QUOTE=Mr_Monroe]one of my vocalist idols would be non other than Dani Filth... i probally couldnt do anything close to him, but does anyone have any INFO on how i could do some High Pitch Vocals?[/QUOTE]
There is no magic pill, unless you've been singing without good diaphragm support and tensing up your throat. If you've been doing that and you stop, you could really be able to hit better and higher notes. Its what I talk about everywhere and its in my voicehelp hotline thread on this page or the next. Other than that its gonna be like any other goal you want to reach. Work and practice.

[QUOTE=lamblite]thanks, i'll start warming up, usually my vocal chords are tight when i wake up but after i take a shower they losen up, i guess the steam in the hot water, and usually after we practice a song i drink water to help also and it seems to beworking. thanks for ur help[/QUOTE]
Thats what many people say. But its just not the same as holding over twice the usual load of force and vibration. You need to hold notes and do all of your vowels in regular,low,lower,mid,high, then higher. Two minutes is better than nothing, but you get what you pay for.

AngusYoung413 08-20-2005 08:20 PM

Umm Id be interested to know how to produce a throaty, raspy voice like Caleb Followill of Kings of Leon. I love his voice on "Four Kicks" and "Pistol of Fire". [url]http://kingsofleon.com/kolflash.html[/url]. THere is alink to the Four Kicks video if youre not familiar. Thanks in advance.

naco 08-23-2005 05:41 PM

OK, ermm, i recently started singing but i realised im not too good at it, what i do is i record in the mic of my computer and i listen to it, and everytime i try make myself better. I think i can hit the pitch and everything its just i dont like my voice (someone told me once most of the singers dont like theyre own voices, something to do with the brain...anyways) I think i sometimes sing a bit with my nose if you know what i mean..not excesively, but is there something that can help me get 100 percent of my voice straight out my mouth?

Thanks

naco 08-23-2005 05:44 PM

havent tried singing on a normal mic to an amplifier thjough, you think there will be a difference?

Firecracker 08-24-2005 12:03 PM

When i sing normally, i sound ok.

But when i record my singing into my computer, i somehow sound really bad and off.
Is there anything i might be doing to get like this.
Is it the recording? Or just my crappy voice getting all pressurised?
Should i hold the mic differently, or use a stand?

Thanks.

The_Red_Death 08-24-2005 01:09 PM

I was wondering if there are any ways I can more volume from screaming. I can get a good sound out of it (similar to newer Underoath, I think), but that's at like, a whisper. When I try to go louder, I get no sound at all. I know this is a very crappy description, but any attempts at helping are appreciated.

naco 08-24-2005 04:48 PM

where is the merkaba guy?

BlinkDink 08-24-2005 05:10 PM

[QUOTE=firecrackercheese]When i sing normally, i sound ok.

But when i record my singing into my computer, i somehow sound really bad and off.
Is there anything i might be doing to get like this.
Is it the recording? Or just my crappy voice getting all pressurised?
Should i hold the mic differently, or use a stand?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]
I went through the same thing try and plug your mic into your stereo
and turn it up loud so your voice is coming out of the stereo.
I did it and I'm pretty good