Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Guitar Equipment (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Digitech Death Metal Pedal (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223959)

sandsy05 02-19-2005 05:27 PM

HI guys, i play in a punk band and im looking for some kind of pedal i can use to spice up my solo's a litte, an suggestions would be great! rthankyou

Fender_Strat8915 02-19-2005 06:29 PM

[QUOTE=Mburton21]Definately this pedal, I've heard them both and the Metal Zone is just a digtized sounding piece of crap :thumb:[/QUOTE]

the metal zone is also way more expensive!

the tall guy 02-20-2005 06:29 PM

[QUOTE=sandsy05]HI guys, i play in a punk band and im looking for some kind of pedal i can use to spice up my solo's a litte, an suggestions would be great! rthankyou[/QUOTE]
assuming you have adistortion pedal already any low gain overdrive/dist.
dunlop sells alot of good examples (zw overdrive)or something like an ibanez tube screamer....or just swich to the overdrive channel in your amp if you are so blessed as to have one

the tall guy 02-20-2005 06:30 PM

forget everything and buy a hughs and kettner warp factor

Thor 02-20-2005 06:39 PM

[QUOTE=Still Life]I'm deciding whether to buy this or the Boss Metalzone. Which one would you recomend?[/QUOTE]
Metalzone owns all other pedals

guitarist837 03-02-2005 01:12 PM

I had the boss metalzone mt-2. the only reason i sold it was because i got a new multiefects pedal, otherwise i woulda kept it. I have to say that it is one of the best distortion pedals that i have ever heard. If anybody has the choice between this and any other pedals, this is well worth it.

Cambodia 03-02-2005 06:01 PM

[QUOTE=ibanez_freak]i have it and its OK can anyone tell me some good settings[/QUOTE]

The booklet that comes with it has some cool settings.

I went into my local guitar shop on Monday with the intention to buy a Boss Mega Distortion and left with the Death Metal. It has a deeper, crunchier sound compared to the Mega Distortion. I'm been satisfied with it so far...

Metal Zones are too digital sounding in my opinion. I like them, just not what I want to sound like.

EliteShredder 03-07-2005 05:32 PM

Both pedals are nice.

The Metalzone pedal has a nice overall tone but the distortion is too digital, as some have said, as if it's too soft to be called distortion.

The Death Metal pedal doesn't have as much as a good overall tone but you can get one by messing around with the equalizer until you get one. I myself have this pedal and have found a couple of good tones but for a heavy yet sharp distorted sound that cuts through like a bitch I put Low at 9, Mid just a tad above 8, and High at 9. It's a really good tone.

Anyway, I'd reccommend the Death Metal pedal just because it's versatile and you can get a lot of tones out of it.

\m/

The_Mop 03-09-2005 02:45 PM

I've got a Metal zone - and it's true that it makes some noise, but not much, and a bit of fiddling around with the EQ works wonders. Plus, i don't think i've listened to enough distortion pedals to discriminate between whether a effect sounds too 'digital' or not - but personally, for what I play, I think the Metal Zone is fantastic. I've never tried the Digitech Death Metal, so i might try it out soon. But - i wouldn't reccomend the DOD Death metal distortion - i tried it once and it made so much noise it was unbearable, and the sound was too fuzzy anyway.

For those who own the Metal Zone, i suggest this setting -

Level - alter this how you want it.
Low - as far as it will turn clockwise
High - pointing directly at 3 o'clock
Middle Freq - As far as it will turn clockwise
Middle pointing - directly at 3 o'clock
Dist - MAX. You know it's the right thing to do.

mike mawe 03-11-2005 07:20 AM

the digitech death metal pedal is amazing, i strongly suggest that if your into grunge do not buy it as it is called death metal for a very good reason!!!!!!!
i use mine with emg 81 pickups and a boss noise supressor for high volume, and it gives an amazing metal tone, i did cast aside my boss metal zone as soon as i tried this pedal thats how good it is.

felixguy 03-14-2005 01:53 PM

jesus people have some different ideas on here. id say try em out. i was going to buy the death metal then thoughtdo i really want a sound that heavy, want something more versitile. anyone thought about the line 6 uber metal

jamest 03-24-2005 01:20 PM

has anyone tried out the line6 uber metal? im a first time pedal buyer and i want a really heavy sound but i still want to hear whats being played. at the moment im trying to decided whther to go for the digitec death metal, metal master or the line6 ubermetal thanks :thumb:

freakmeeko 03-24-2005 04:29 PM

If I were to use this with keyboard what sounds what would be the best general MIDI tones to enhance/distort?

Epidural Brutality 03-28-2005 08:18 AM

Yeah, you want the Death Metal pedal. I bought it recently and it's the best ****ing thing I ever bought for my guitar.
Makes my old distortion sound like a Sunday School picnic.

MikeFirner 03-29-2005 02:13 PM

Question

I agree I have the metal zone and the death metal pedal. The death metal pedal blows the metal zone away . I'm kind of new to playing guitar I have only been playing for a year I have my pedal setup at lows and Mids 75% and my High and Gain 100% if you have a better way please tell me the style I play is At the Gates, 3 inches of Blood and The Black Dhalia Murder. how should I set the adjustments on my amp as well to get the best sound for what I'm looking for.

Kirk Hammett 04-23-2005 09:54 PM

i had the digitech death metal, but i soon sold it. I found it had too much distortion for my likings, it would be better if it had a dist adjustment knob

Slipknotmxr24 04-25-2005 09:53 PM

heres for everyone looking for pedals and confused by all the different replies. ive read hundreds of threads and replies from different forums on distortion pedals looking for an answer, which i found out myself was useless. what sounds good to one person will sound like crap to another.
my equipment...Epi LP Standard w/ tuning either 1/2 step down or CGCFAD.
Marshall AVT150 halfstack full treble, mid set to 5 and bass set to 6. i bought a DOD Death metal pedal and the Digitech RP100A multi-effect unit.ive been looking for a vintage 70's KISS sound but also more modern like metallica or even heavier lamb of god sound. now youl never find all these sounds in 1, which helps to have a muli-effect unit.when i have it set on artist preset 37 i have vintage kiss. when i have it on factory 16 its a modern metal like slipknot or lamb of god sound.
i got the digitech just for chorus,flange,delay,etc. to add to my songs and change things up. i was messing with teh settings the other night exhousted from searching for the right pedal when i messed with the digitech more and found the perfect sound all the sudden. now i thought-wait its gona be too digital sounding like everyone said. but for me it works perfect and im glad i didnt spend hundreds on other pedals. i tried many types at guitar center but never got what i was lookign for till now.
my point is if your looking for an answer here...forget it. just keep trying different types and maybe instead of changing pedals change your tuning or maybe look at the way your playing, cus like i said what sounds great to one person may sound like crap to someone else.

priebe 04-29-2005 03:59 PM

i tried this pedal out, and it is awesome..but i went with the rp100a, just because of the ammount of effects on it

Crysiss 05-06-2005 10:41 AM

The death metal pedal is pretty sweet, comparing it to my other distortion pedal ( some sort of ds 1 distortion pedal) The death metal is way better, it weighs more than the other, easy to replace batteries and it just rulez:lol:

freakmeeko 05-06-2005 01:17 PM

Well I tried it out and I say if you use it for keyboard, use one of these general midi tones:
Electric Organ 1
Distortion guitar (REALLY?)
Percussive Organ

the21st_fret 05-13-2005 08:36 PM

what would you all recomend for a joe satriani kinda singing and screaming shred metal/instrumental sound???

Forlorn Hope 05-16-2005 05:09 PM

[QUOTE=Still Life]I'm deciding whether to buy this or the Boss Metalzone. Which one would you recomend?[/QUOTE]
although this is a great heavy distortion pedal, it has no gain knob at all, if all you want is crazy distortion, this is for you, but if you want a variety of distortion sounds i would get the metal zone...from what ive heard, Death Metal and Metal Zone are love or hate pedals, so if i were you i would try both out before you get one.. :thumb:

Chaz S 05-16-2005 05:57 PM

[QUOTE]Wrong. It is the digitech pedals which have software based modelling and distortion, and the MT-2 which is analog, and gives that great analog sound the digitech's can't touch.

As for the metal master, that pedal is ONLY good for power chords, thats it. Anything else ( minor chords, fast solos, etc) sounds like muddy garbage.[/QUOTE]

Basically, If you want to sound like crap, digitech is the way to go :thumb:

Chaz S 05-16-2005 06:04 PM

[QUOTE=PrestoDone]I Bought a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone today which i will be returning tommorow. The guy who sold it to me told me it was an awsome pedal and bla bla bla. When i plugged it into my amp it was nothing but horrible noise. it sounded like an airplane was taking off in my amp. The output and crunch went over the top to a very hot sound, but it just couldnt sustain that and not be noisy. I mean it was so noisy even when i wasnt playing it and turned my guitar knobs down. The only way it sounded decent was when i used lower volume but even then it was bad. Anyone else have any recomendations which are not the Metal zone, death metal , or grunge pedals??[/QUOTE]

A couple hours of playing around with the settings reccomended is not enough to base your opinion. The settings reccomended are crap anyways. Try turning off your TV or computer while your amp is on, Jewbacca.

Get a tube amp.

Ramones Rock097 05-16-2005 06:57 PM

I am lucky enough to have both the DIGItech Death Metal, and Boss-MT2 and I prefer the MT-2 for stuff that you dont need an insane amount of distortion for, but if you're playing something thats really really heavy, then use the Death Metal.

billytalentrox 05-31-2005 04:47 PM

hey i was looking at both the digitech death metal distortion pedal and the boss mt-2 metal zone and i like to play a whole ton of metallica stuff and i am just started to get into lead guitar and soloing and stuff like that.(lol i am only 10 years old) and i was wondering what would be the best one for that kinda stuff

deadinholywood 05-31-2005 06:52 PM

^ Its the problem that i have at the moment, the Boss is too expensive for my liking and the digitech lacks features that i want. Just do a lot of reseach and try to play as many as you can
As for me i think im gonna wait for this:
[url]http://www.behringer.com/UM100/index.cfm?lang=ENG[/url]
Apparantly its pretty much an exact copy of the mt2 but about a quarter of the price, its coming out in August

kevbud187 06-01-2005 09:33 AM

[QUOTE=deadinholywood]^ Its the problem that i have at the moment, the Boss is too expensive for my liking and the digitech lacks features that i want. Just do a lot of reseach and try to play as many as you can
As for me i think im gonna wait for this:
[url]http://www.behringer.com/UM100/index.cfm?lang=ENG[/url]
Apparantly its pretty much an exact copy of the mt2 but about a quarter of the price, its coming out in August[/QUOTE]

It is very difficult to replicate mt2 because specific parts of the circuit board that produce the distortion type are pattened. If it wasn't anyone could buy the componets and make one on their own for about $20. (It wouldn't look the same though. lol) I think someone said this earlier but, IMO buy a overdrive pedal first then buy distortion. Who cares how heavy your sound is if your tone is shot to crap. I own Digitech Death Metal, but mt2 suporters are being jerks about how theirs is better. I think you should demo them both and chose your own sound.(Buy Digitech DF-7 seven ditortion pedals in one incluing Metal Master, mt2, and BigPI Muff. Got the best pedal value award)

moaner 06-01-2005 04:12 PM

the OD-20 is a much more versatile pedal than the DF7. who gave it 5, total guitar? :lol:

davo_guitarman 06-16-2005 05:50 AM

the metal zone is god, i love it when you get that nice chunky sound, perfect for pinch harmonics, aah god metal zone is probably the best out of most IMO, it is the most versatile and you get good value for money, so dont listen to these fakes saying "I R T3H D1G1T3CH MAST3RZ refl" they dont know what theyr on about seriouslys metal zone owns