Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   History (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Dinosaurs Compatible With Christianity? (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355814)

Volumnius Flush 06-24-2005 02:07 PM

So how long have humans been here? And don't give me that "well i don't know because it isn't there :angry: " because I'm pretty sure it is.

You can convince me differently if you'd like to try.

red_fox 06-24-2005 02:15 PM

I think Catholics have a good cover story about that: All incongruencies in the bible are caused by man!

I kid, I kid. Religion and science can coincide because the bible is morally correct, not historically correct. The story of Adam and Eve (where the story that the earth was born a few thousand years ago) wasn't written to be historically accurate, but rather a way to teach something.

siva_chair 06-24-2005 02:16 PM

[QUOTE=Volumnius Flush]So how long have humans been here? And don't give me that "well i don't know because it isn't there :angry: " because I'm pretty sure it is.

You can convince me differently if you'd like to try.[/QUOTE]

What the hell do you mean? Show me in the Bible where it says that God created mankind in around 4000 B.C. It doesn't.

I don't know for sure how long ago God created mankind. The Bible doesn't say, and it doesn't really matter.

siva_chair 06-24-2005 02:17 PM

[QUOTE=red_fox]

I kid, I kid. Religion and science can coincide because the bible is morally correct, not historically correct. The story of Adam and Eve (where the story that the earth was born a few thousand years ago) wasn't written to be historically accurate, but rather a way to teach something.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the Bible is very historically accurate. The story that the Earth was born a few thousand years ago isn't even in the Bible. Show me where it says that. The story of Adam and Eve doesn't say that at all.

Volumnius Flush 06-24-2005 02:18 PM

It wasn't determined from a given date, and then either estimations or given amounts were subtracted from this given date and the -4004 figure came up. Now whether that's right, I don't know. But, I think 4000 is pretty close.

siva_chair 06-24-2005 02:20 PM

[QUOTE=Volumnius Flush]It wasn't determined from a given date, and then either estimations or given amounts were subtracted from this given date and the -4004 figure came up. Now whether that's right, I don't know. But, I think 4000 is pretty close.[/QUOTE]

No, some people decided that the earth was that old based on incomplete geneologies and a possibly incorrect interpretation of them. It doesn't really even imply that very clearly in the Bible.

Volumnius Flush 06-24-2005 02:27 PM

[QUOTE=siva_chair]No, some people decided that the earth was that old based on incomplete geneologies and a possibly incorrect interpretation of them. It doesn't really even imply that very clearly in the Bible.[/QUOTE]

It's arguable the number is based off of incomplete genealogies but it's also possible they were complete. Why does the Bible have genealogies in it if they are incomplete? Is it trying to mislead us?

Trivium 06-24-2005 03:16 PM

the bible isnt a person, its letters on pages, just like any other book

Danish 06-24-2005 03:27 PM

[QUOTE=Volumnius Flush]It wasn't determined from a given date, and then either estimations or given amounts were subtracted from this given date and the -4004 figure came up. Now whether that's right, I don't know. But, I think 4000 is pretty close.[/QUOTE]

Well, then how do you explain the insane amount of evidence in existence that suggests the Earth is over 3 billion years old and that many species lived before 4004 BCE?

Iskandar 06-24-2005 04:04 PM

[QUOTE=Volumnius Flush]It's arguable the number is based off of incomplete genealogies but it's also possible they were complete. Why does the Bible have genealogies in it if they are incomplete? Is it trying to mislead us?[/QUOTE]

They could very well be inaccurate, due to human error. Humans wrote the Bible.

Hive 06-24-2005 04:10 PM

[QUOTE]They could very well be inaccurate, due to human error. Humans wrote the Bible.[/QUOTE]
You also have to realize that at the time the bible was written, people in Europe believed the Earth was flat, it ended just off what is now Scottland.

Trivium 06-24-2005 04:14 PM

haha good point, yeah guys religion is an aspect of life, its not the only thing in the world.

It was invented by men for explanations and guidance.

Heaven's a lie

Iskandar 06-24-2005 04:18 PM

To be fair, we can't prove the existence of Heaven any more than we can the Big Bang. I prefer to trust science though, as it seems far more logical to me.

Hive 06-24-2005 04:18 PM

Religion has always been around, in every culture, to simply explain what science at the time could not. The Greeks couldn't understand why the seasons changed, so they made a myth that explained it. Of course, we now know that seasons change because the Earth is tilted on its axis and as it revolves around the sun, certain areas become warmer or colder.

Science has made religion obsolete. Or it almost has. There are very few questions left to be answered and I feel it is stupid to go back to saying "Oh, it must be God!" when it will probably be blown away by science some day.

Iskandar 06-24-2005 04:20 PM

[QUOTE=Hive]Religion has always been around, in every culture, to simply explain what they could not understand. The Greeks couldn't understand why the seasons changed, so they made a myth that explained it. Of course, we now know that seasons change because the Earth is tilted on its axis and as it revolves around the sun, certain areas become warmer or colder.

Science has made religion obsolete. Or it almost has. There are very few questions left to be answered and I feel it is stupid to go back to saying "Oh, it must be God!" when it will probably be blown away by science some day.[/QUOTE]

You're right that religion was invented to explain things beyond human comprehension, but I don't know if we've almost answered all questions. We've barely begun travelling beyond this planet.

Trivium 06-24-2005 04:22 PM

People believed illnesses were caused by god because of sins, now we have doctors

they believed that if they prayed, they would have good crops

length of winter had to do with the number of the sins the tribe committed.

as we get more advanced with REAL knowledge, religion becomes more and more obsolete.

Volumnius Flush 06-24-2005 04:22 PM

[QUOTE=Hive]Religion has always been around, in every culture, to simply explain what science at the time could not. The Greeks couldn't understand why the seasons changed, so they made a myth that explained it. Of course, we now know that seasons change because the Earth is tilted on its axis and as it revolves around the sun, certain areas become warmer or colder.

Science has made religion obsolete. Or it almost has. There are very few questions left to be answered and I feel it is stupid to go back to saying "Oh, it must be God!" when it will probably be blown away by science some day.[/QUOTE]

I thought science has also proved that if the Earth was tilted so much as a degree on it's axis, life could not be supported. I thought it was proven that if the Earth was much closer to the Sun, or further away, life could not be supported.

[QUOTE=Danish]Well, then how do you explain the insane amount of evidence in existence that suggests the Earth is over 3 billion years old and that many species lived before 4004 BCE?[/QUOTE]

Your psting is a little misplaced. By now you should know that I discredit Carbon 14 dating and evolution.

Hive 06-24-2005 04:24 PM

[QUOTE]but I don't know if we've almost answered all questions. We've barely begun travelling beyond this planet.[/QUOTE]
Fair enough, but I was refering to the mysteries of life that had puzzled man until modern science explained it. Sure there are questions that science may never answer, but I feel that reverting back to the ancient god explainations is naive.

Trivium 06-24-2005 04:26 PM

Volumnius Flush, if you believe in light, then the bible become more and more of a lie.

We see supernova's of stars that have exploded BILLIONS of light years away, now unless light goes thousands of times faster than we believe, then the universe is billions of years old.

The forumula E=mc2 proves that the speed of light is constant

gonna go against einstein?

Hive 06-24-2005 04:26 PM

[QUOTE]I thought science has also proved that if the Earth was tilted so much as a degree on it's axis, life could not be supported. I thought it was proven that if the Earth was much closer to the Sun, or further away, life could not be supported.[/QUOTE]
what's your point? That God must've magically placed us here? There are billions and billions of uncountable planets, some of which are likely in the exact same situation as we are in a different solar system. The universe is a massive place. I refuse to believe that we are the only place in that infinite ocean that can support life.

-1up!- 06-24-2005 04:27 PM

[QUOTE=Volumnius Flush]I thought science has also proved that if the Earth was tilted so much as a degree on it's axis, life could not be supported. I thought it was proven that if the Earth was much closer to the Sun, or further away, life could not be supported.[/QUOTE]

That argument is BS. Life has adapted to our environment, it's not by luck if there is life on the Earth today. I'm absolutely certain that there are other life forms in the universe who live in an environment much unlike ours. Even if you believe in God, don't you think he'd have made life to support our specific environment? Or do you really believe that there are strict conditions for any life forms to exist and we are the lucky winners among all the universe?

Volumnius Flush 06-24-2005 04:32 PM

[QUOTE=Trivium]Volumnius Flush, if you believe in light, then the bible become more and more of a lie.

We see supernova's of stars that have exploded BILLIONS of light years away, now unless light goes thousands of times faster than we believe, then the universe is billions of years old.

The forumula E=mc2 proves that the speed of light is constant

gonna go against einstein?[/QUOTE]

It's thought that the universe is negative infinity years old. The Earth's age is unknown. Life started in roughly 4000 BC.

[QUOTE=-1up!-]That argument is BS. Life has adapted to our environment, it's not by luck if there is life on the Earth today. I'm absolutely certain that there are other life forms in the universe who live in an environment much unlike ours. Even if you believe in God, don't you think he'd have made life to support our specific environment? Or do you really believe that there are strict conditions for any life forms to exist and we are the lucky winners among all the universe?[/QUOTE]

You lost me. I'm Christian, and I believe God made this planet to support life and that this is the only place in the universe that supports life.

Iskandar 06-24-2005 04:37 PM

[QUOTE=Trivium]People believed illnesses were caused by god because of sins, now we have doctors

they believed that if they prayed, they would have good crops

length of winter had to do with the number of the sins the tribe committed.

as we get more advanced with REAL knowledge, religion becomes more and more obsolete.[/QUOTE]

Galileo was excommunicated for supporting Copernicus' theory that the Earth revolved around the Sun, I think.

Trivium 06-24-2005 04:38 PM

Christianity dosnt equal ignorance, you can follow christianity to its fullest without believing the bible as fact, THE STORIES IN THE BIBLE ARE METAPHORS.

your just a non violient terroist, your a total extremist, creationists are simply non violient terrorists.

Muslims who take religion to far are the ones that killed people on 9/11

Christians who take religion to far are creationists.

Hive 06-24-2005 04:39 PM

[QUOTE]You lost me. I'm Christian, and I believe God made this planet to support life and that this is the only place in the universe that supports life.[/QUOTE]
You've already establish that. Multiple times. He - or we - are trying to disprove you and poke holes in your theory. All you've countered with so far is "I'm Christian" or "I don't understand", both of which, to me at least, mean "I'm an idiot".

Hive 06-24-2005 04:40 PM

[QUOTE]Muslims who take religion to far are the ones that killed people on 9/11

Christians who take religion to far are creationists[/QUOTE]

south_guitar 06-24-2005 04:43 PM

I don't know where this discussion has gone, because I'm too lazy to read right now. All I have to say in the direction of the threadstarter is that the first books of the Bible, particularly Genesis, is not meant to be taken literally at all.

Der Übermensch 06-24-2005 04:45 PM

[QUOTE=Trivium]

Muslims who take religion to far are the ones that killed people on 9/11

Christians who take religion to far are creationists.[/QUOTE]

don't forget abortion clinic bombers!

[quote]I don't know where this discussion has gone, because I'm too lazy to read right now. All I have to say in the direction of the threadstarter is that the first books of the Bible, particularly Genesis, is not meant to be taken literally at all.[/quote]
Nor is Revalations.

Iskandar 06-24-2005 04:48 PM

[QUOTE=NOFXFreak]don't forget abortion clinic bombers!

Nor is Revalations.[/QUOTE]

Or any of the Bible, in my opinion.

As for Christian extremists ... how about the Inquisition?

Volumnius Flush 06-24-2005 05:05 PM

[QUOTE=Hive]You've already establish that. Multiple times. He - or we - are trying to disprove you and poke holes in your theory. All you've countered with so far is "I'm Christian" or "I don't understand", both of which, to me at least, mean "I'm an idiot".[/QUOTE]

**** you. I directed that towards -1up!-. Don't even trying to turn my words around to mean something else.