Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Rock & Metal (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   R&M Krautrock Orientation/Appreciation Party (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575223)

Jaundice 06-18-2009 02:13 PM

R&M Krautrock Orientation/Appreciation Party

KRAUTROCK. Experimental German music from the late sixties and early seventies that took cues from early psychedelia and went on to set the prototype for Industrial, Post-Punk, Ambient, Techno, Prog, Gangsta Rap. I did a search and found one or two threads in the Other Music forum, so now I think it’s time for R&M to have its first semi-exhaustive kraut appreciation thread.

Brief History: In the late sixties, Germany was still in upheaval after World War Two. The younger generation set out to establish a new musical identity. Many studied under contemporary composers like Karlheinz Stockhausen while also being influenced by new music from overseas— Frank Zappa, Jimi Hendrix, The Velvet Underground. Factor in the influence of Dada and Surrealism, anarchist attitudes, hallucinogenic drugs. This is just going off the top of my head. For the full story, seek out one of two out-of-print and very expensive anthologies— [I]krautrocksampler[/I] or [I]Crack in the Cosmic Egg[/I].

[B]Notable Bands[/B]

Can - The most infamous and probably the best of all Kosmiche sounds, also the band I namedrop every time I’m trying to get in a pretentious indie girl’s pants. Formed in Cologne in 1968, the original line-up included American sculptor Malcolm Mooney, the godfather of sampling Holger Czukay, free-jazz pro Jaki Leibezeit, Irmin Schmidt and the now deceased Michael Karoli. Their earliest recordings are minimal improvisational rock jams. After their vocalist Mooney had a nervous breakdown, he was replaced by Damo Suzuki and the band released several classic albums (Tago Mago, Ege Bamyasi, Soundtracks) that mixed psychedelic, progressive, free jazz and ethnic instrumentation.

Kraftwerk - Formed from the ashes of the project Organisation, Kraftwerk is, at its core, Florian Schneider and Ralf Hutter. Their first albums were instrumental efforts full of experimentation, before adding more members and eventually (through the help of producer Conny Plank) settling into a unique sound that is considered the earliest precursor to all modern synthpop, electro, industrial. Minimal, detached numbers performed with synths, drum machines, and the notorious vocoder.

Ash Ra Tempel - One of the most overbearingly psychedelic bands to come from the movement. Formed in 1971 by Klaus Schulze and Manual Gottsching, after their experiences with Eruption, Tangerine Dream and other notable German bands. Throughout line up changes, they released several albums in the early seventies before becoming Ashra and producing electronic music. Their self-titled debut is a landmark in the genre. Their third album, Seven Up, was recorded with Timothy Leary on guest vocals while every one in the studio drank from a bottle laced with acid. Just to give an idea of how cool they were.

Faust - A more enigmatic kraut band formed in 1971. While still making albums to this day, their first five albums between 71 and 74 are the records they are best known for. Considered a crucial influence on Throbbing Gristle, this band put out some of the earliest music to be considered industrial. A bizarre blend of psychedelia, prog-rock jamming and tape-loop experiments.

Cluster - Kluster was formed in the late sixties by performers at the Zodiac Free Arts Lab. After releasing two studio albums, Conrad Schnitzler left the group, and the remaining members renamed the outfit Cluster. They continued to release albums in the same vein as Kluster; long rhythm-less pieces made from noise and electronic drones. In 1974, the band took a different route with Zuckerzeit, creating short, ambient pieces which had a great influence on Brian Eno.
[B]
Other Important Bands That I Don’t Have Time To Write About:[/B]
Amon Duul
Amon Duul II
Popol Vuh
Tangerine Dream
Agitation Free
Neu!
Cosmic Jokers
Embryo
Guru Guru

[B]Party Favors:[/B]

I will edit in a link to a .rar with all of this **** in it
Ash Ra Tempel - Ash Ra Tempel
Kraftwerk - Trans Europe Express
Can - Tago Mago
Faust - Faust
Cluster - ‘71 (in .m4a format)

If you don’t like this music you’re a large bundle of sticks. Discuss.

Dipsetttt

Angmar 06-18-2009 02:46 PM

I like Klaus Schulze idk if he fits into this category though.

Jaundice 06-18-2009 02:47 PM

Yeah, he does.
I have Cyborg, it's good but I can almost never find the patience to listen to it

iranscam 06-18-2009 02:49 PM

Can, Popol Vuh, and Tangerine Dream are cool.

Angmar 06-18-2009 02:50 PM

[QUOTE=Jaundice;17305926]Yeah, he does.
I have Cyborg, it's good but I can almost never find the patience to listen to it[/QUOTE]

Mirage is where it's at.

Shattered_Future 06-18-2009 02:58 PM

I had a Klaus Schulze album for a while but got rid of it because it sounded WAAAAAY too new age-y.

Elitist Douche Bag 06-18-2009 04:22 PM

I'm in love with [I]Tago Mago[/I], [I]Ege Bamyasi[/I], and [I]Future Days[/I]. FD is such a chilled-out summer album.

Txus 06-18-2009 04:43 PM

Can is great, most of the bands you liste are pretty good. I'm sad because there's a big lack of Comus in this thread :(

Jaundice 06-18-2009 04:45 PM

I tried to get most of the big names out of the way, and namedrop a couple lesser known ones just to get things going. I honestly don't think I've heard of Comus though.

Txus 06-18-2009 05:03 PM

Oh, get the album First Utterance. They were more in the folk side, I think you might enjoy them.

easylee 06-18-2009 05:34 PM

lol comus arent krautrock at all

Txus 06-18-2009 05:36 PM

idk, i feel they kinda are.

:(

easylee 06-18-2009 05:44 PM

did your ese tell you that

Meatplow 06-18-2009 05:49 PM

I've listened to Can's [i]Tago Mago[/i], and Kraftwerk's [i]Trans-Europe Express[/i] (which probably doesn't count as it is more from their electronic period if there is considered a distinction).

Both are excellent, and I want to investigate this genre more so i'll be looking into these groups. I'm been listening a lot to traditional psychadelic rock recently, some more european stuff would be interesting.

Txus 06-18-2009 05:54 PM

[QUOTE=easylee;17306365]did your ese tell you that[/QUOTE]

yeah, bato loco

Jaundice 06-18-2009 06:21 PM

okay so now that I've got everybody gathered together, who's gonna upload the album Faust - So Far so I finally have it again know what Im sayin

Meatplow 06-18-2009 06:55 PM

lol

check your last.fm inbox jaundice

imperialblackness 06-18-2009 07:22 PM

Mikael Akerfeldt listens to Comus

Txus 06-24-2009 01:52 PM

Been listening to Ash Ras Tempel's Join Inn a lot lately and Popol Vuh's In den Gärten Pharaos.

Jaundice 06-24-2009 01:53 PM

I've never listened to that Popul Vuh album actually

affenstunde is crazy though.

Txus 06-24-2009 01:59 PM

It's magnificent, probably my second favorit Popol Vuh's album after Hosianna Mantra.

Elitist Douche Bag 06-27-2009 06:29 AM

Neu! '75 is sweet.

Apocalyptic Raids 06-27-2009 07:27 AM

I like Can a bit.

Jaundice 10-13-2009 11:15 PM

[QUOTE=Apocalyptic Raids;17327522]I like Can a bit.[/QUOTE]

Listening to Landed for the first time right now, good rock and roll with some experimental and tape effects stuff too

Aaron 10-13-2009 11:20 PM

Tangerine Dream are ****ing amazing. Huge influence.

Jaundice 10-13-2009 11:25 PM

Phaedra is such a good album

jrowa001 10-13-2009 11:45 PM

Phaedra is def my fav TD album. im glad theyve started to make good albums again. their Nagasaki and Hiroshima series have been amazing so far

Jaundice 10-13-2009 11:46 PM

need to listen to more of them, only have phaedra and electronic meditation

Meatplow 10-14-2009 06:07 AM

[i]Phaedra[/i] is the only album i've heard from TD.

I have Faust to listen to.

Jaundice 10-14-2009 12:57 PM

I really need to get [I]Outside the Dream Syndicate[/I] and [I]The Faust Tapes[/I]