Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Punk (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Emo Community Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226512)

br3ad_man 08-21-2004 10:45 PM

[QUOTE=DFelon204409]Simple Plan and Good Charlotte are pop. Straight up. The faux-hawk doesn't make them any more punk than their whelping. Brand New's earlier stuff was clearly pop-punk. Listen to real pop-punk bands like Bodyjar or Millencolin and listen to [i]Your Favorite Weapon[/i]. Notice the similarities? Brand New's new CD is more indie than anything else, excepting when they take Taking Back Sunday's dual vocal thing and also on way poppy songs like "The Quiet Things No One Ever Knows." "The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot" are clearly more indie. Alternative emo would be a good classifcation if emo were completely obliterated and replaced with "pop-punk." Breadboy I'm glad you at least try to discern what genre bands are. Your efforts in comprehension are respectable. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, YFW was pretty pop-punk. Some songs off DE have a pretty poppy sound, and others dont at all. Indie seems a strange classification to me though, they don't really sound much like Modest Mouse or Dinosaur Jr.

allmusic says that DE is pop-punk/emo. Is it possible that they are both. While they aren't very similar, I can see SOME similarities between them and Circle Takes The Square.

shane italian 08-21-2004 11:03 PM

[QUOTE=hums_like_a_TELECASTER]omg, you guys, are just lame, you have NO clue what screamo or emo is, and underoath IS SCREAMO! morons, i'll give a list of good emo/screamo bands,

Screamo:
Hidden In Plain View
Finch
Underoath

Emo:
brand new
the early november
straylight run
taking back sunday
Coheed & cambria
Matchbook romance

thats not all, im just not in the mood to think right now, but thats just to give you some examples[/QUOTE]I can not express how I feel about you.

cbmartinez 08-22-2004 12:07 AM

[QUOTE=hums_like_a_TELECASTER]omg, you guys, are just lame, you have NO clue what screamo or emo is, and underoath IS SCREAMO! morons, i'll give a list of good emo/screamo bands,

Screamo:
Hidden In Plain View
Finch
Underoath

Emo:
brand new
the early november
straylight run
taking back sunday
Coheed & cambria
Matchbook romance

thats not all, im just not in the mood to think right now, but thats just to give you some examples[/QUOTE]

Never have I seen a post more wrong then that.

BuddyBigsby 08-22-2004 12:31 AM

[QUOTE=br3ad_man]Yeah, YFW was pretty pop-punk. Some songs off DE have a pretty poppy sound, and others dont at all. Indie seems a strange classification to me though, they don't really sound much like Modest Mouse or Dinosaur Jr.

allmusic says that DE is pop-punk/emo. Is it possible that they are both. While they aren't very similar, I can see SOME similarities between them and Circle Takes The Square.[/QUOTE]

If you want to get technical, then Brand New are Poppy Post-Emo Indie Rock.

srt-4 08-22-2004 01:56 AM

how do you pronounce saetia? like saytia? or saysha?

shane italian 08-22-2004 02:00 AM

Saytia from what I know.

srt-4 08-22-2004 02:28 AM

thanks guys.

Happymeal 08-22-2004 07:18 AM

[QUOTE=DFelon204409]If you IM me I'll direct transfer songs to you.

Fall of Troy is definitely emoish dude. The screaming sounds more contrived but intense than emotional. The idea of screaming in emo is it's supposed to sound like a sputtering mess of honest emotion. Nonetheless when I listen to this I think instantly of the band Hot Cross, which is essentially emo with better instrumentalism and slicker production. I really love this! Thanks. (Also at this point I've only listened to "I just Got This Symphony Goin'" so I may change my opinion on the genre yet. So far it's awesome. I'd buy this CD. Where's it at.[/QUOTE]

Actually I don't have AIM right now, but I'm thinking of signing up one of these days, thanks.

And my friend just told me about The Fall Of Troy a few days ago so I don't know much about them either so I'm doing a bit of research at [url]www.thefalloftroy.com[/url]. Obviously I'm a noob, any stuff I can get from you vets I'm taking in and I really appreciate it. Thanks a bunch!

BuddyBigsby 08-22-2004 07:30 AM

One of my favorite screamo bands Happymeal, they're called Kaospilot. Plus they're one of the few screamo bands I know of that has their music up on the internet, you should check them out. [url]www.kaospilot.net[/url]

About Allmusic: Yeah, they can be pretty retarded when it comes to some stuff. Read the Rag Men review. They compare to them to Nickelback.

hums_like_a_TELECASTER 08-22-2004 11:32 AM

hehehehehehehehehehehehehe heh he h

hums_like_a_TELECASTER 08-22-2004 11:35 AM

old brand new could be pop-punk, other people migth say emo, its more emo then pop punk, specially soco armetto lime, that was deff more like the deja cd, but the one thingi have to say... OLD brand new and New brand new just kicks ***

Happymeal 08-22-2004 05:24 PM

[QUOTE=BuddyBigsby]One of my favorite screamo bands Happymeal, they're called Kaospilot. Plus they're one of the few screamo bands I know of that has their music up on the internet, you should check them out. [url]www.kaospilot.net[/url][/QUOTE]

Ok, I'll check them out sometime, you keep mentioning Kaospilot when you give noobs a re-education.:p Thanks. But I think I have to buy a new PC first, this crappy laptop always crashes and gets viruses when I download stuff(I also don't want to get screamed at by my dad again).

I'm also digging Psyopus right now(they're grindcore, am I right?), they're freakin' great.

BuddyBigsby 08-22-2004 06:00 PM

Psyopus' guitarist(s?) is/are jaw-droppingly amazing.

XemoXmoshXpitX 08-22-2004 06:31 PM

Again, we need an emo/screamo thread. This should be stickied.

Happymeal 08-23-2004 06:20 AM

[QUOTE=DFelon204409]Ya they're great but they're not grind (happymeal). They're math meta'/progressive/grind.[/QUOTE]

That's a mouthful.:p Whatever you call them, they're awesome. "Death, I.."'s intro reminds me of Dream Theater..Weird.. I've only heard 3 songs and my favorite "The Long Road To The 4th Dimension"! It's a miracle the drums make it out alive after one song. The drummer is crazy. I don't get tired of anything progressive. I love that stuff.

That reminds me..I haven't listened The Blood Brothers yet..do they sound something like Fear Before The March Of Flames??? People say they're good. I wanna buy [I]Burn Piano Island, Burn[/I] and I want to get an idea of what they sound like first.. Thanks again!

capri sun junkie 08-23-2004 07:17 PM

SILVERSTEIN is great!!!

BuddyBigsby 08-24-2004 01:03 AM

[QUOTE=capri sun junkie]SILVERSTEIN is great!!![/QUOTE]

I don't get you man. You're down with The Locust and Charles Bronson and then you have to go and pimp new Underoath and Silverstein.

capri sun junkie 08-24-2004 06:24 AM

i dont get me either... its effed in the a

Happymeal 08-24-2004 07:28 AM

I used to like Silverstein..before I got tired of them.:p

That reminds me, I'm liking The Locust too(cheapass Purevolume-er)..

[QUOTE=DFelon204409]They're sort of like FBtMoF. I think they're much better. Go to [url]www.espew.com[/url] and search for them. It should give you a few mp3s. They have most music up there. I recommend the songs "The Shame," "****ing's Greatest Hits," and "Meet Me at the Waterfront After the Social."[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I will definitely check them out.. I'm torn between Burn piano island, Burn and Glassjaw's EYWTKAS(although I know they sound nothing like each other).

This is a useful thread. Keep it alive, people.

iliketoplaydrums1011 08-24-2004 02:02 PM

[QUOTE=XemoXmoshXpitX]Again, we need an emo/screamo thread. This should be stickied.[/QUOTE]

But then everyone will ignore it :rolleyes:

It will probably be better not stickified :)

capri sun junkie 08-24-2004 03:06 PM

the blood brothers are truely an amazing band. but do you really consider them emo/screamo?

syurix 08-24-2004 06:43 PM

Blood Bros are awesome, probably my favorite active band. If they're emo, its by way of the heavy Angel Hair and Drive Like Jehu(?) influences. If not, maybe they're post emo hardcore or something (but "crimes" defies hardcore, d*mn geniuses).

thanks for the rec on Fall of Troy, definitely emocore, it's got the caotic guitars, the screamy vocals, the defiance of obvious structures, the melodic flourishes.

iliketoplaydrums1011 08-24-2004 07:41 PM

[QUOTE=capri sun junkie]the blood brothers are truely an amazing band. but do you really consider them emo/screamo?[/QUOTE]

If i'm thinking of the right band, I'm pretty sure there screamo

XemoXmoshXpitX 08-26-2004 06:58 AM

[QUOTE=iliketoplaydrums1011]But then everyone will ignore it :rolleyes:

It will probably be better not stickified :)[/QUOTE]

True, but one of these days, the thread will end up on the 2nd page, as it almost already did.

Happymeal 08-26-2004 08:09 AM

Are there any more well-known emo/screamo bands nowadays, besides those that were mentioned(and Circle Takes The Square of course)? I think most of them broke up in the 90's...

loJic 08-26-2004 11:57 AM

[url]www.punchpeople.net[/url] for a very good high energetic band. Not really emo or screamo, but hey, they're good.

Bartender 08-26-2004 12:22 PM

Why post them in here then?

shane italian 08-26-2004 12:23 PM

Most likely a friend's band or he's on the street team...

NewKindofArmy03 08-26-2004 12:32 PM

[QUOTE=BuddyBigsby]Psyopus' guitarist(s?) is/are jaw-droppingly amazing.[/QUOTE]
yeah, first time listening to them i would think they have like 3 guitarists, but they only have 1. but like i said before, i don't enjoy listening to them.

shane italian 08-26-2004 03:16 PM

[QUOTE=DFelon204409]I'm on street teams but for good bands like Trophy Scars and Dillinger Escape Plan.[/QUOTE]I'm on Champion's "unofficial" street team. I use physical force to make people listen to them.