Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   CD Reviews Archive (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   (Metal) Metallica - Kill 'Em All (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131655)

CreepingBlack 06-18-2004 05:18 AM

Kill em all is good. It has a style that Metallica only had for one album, so its Metallica's most different album. Id say the best songs on the album would be

Hit the Lights
Motobreath
Phantom Lord
Metal Militia

Their 4th worst cd.

Lithium2112 06-24-2004 12:18 PM

its a great album, just bought it.

anesthesia is kinda hard to tell that its a bass solo... i thought it was a guitar solo the first time i heard it because theres no low end bass tone at all

Facsimile 06-26-2004 06:29 AM

[QUOTE=manuscriptreplica]The Four Horsemen (7:13)
This is another great song. Maybe the best on the album. It begins with a distortion-saturated intro by Hetfield[/QUOTE]
Nope. Dave Mustaine is your man here.

metallicamaniac16 07-28-2004 09:15 PM

I got a couple of things to say, but none are about the album. Sooner or later, once I can peal myself away from Megadeth's Countdown to Extinction, Guns n Roses' Greatest Hits, and all my other Metallica cd's, I'll swipe Kill em All from my brother and listen to it. But until then, I've got MOP, RTL, and the Black Album, which f*cking rule!!! Anyway, first the pokemon person on the other page needs to curb that aggressive temper of his/her's. How old are you anyway? Don't you think its about time to give up pokemon? Sh*t, I quit playing around with that crap when I was in sixth grade. Also, to Kill3mAll, its alright if you talk like a wigger; ya still like Metallica right? Thats all that matters. Hell, I don't even know what a wigger is.

YDload 07-28-2004 09:21 PM

[QUOTE=metallicamaniac16]I got a couple of things to say, but none are about the album. Sooner or later, once I can peal myself away from Megadeth's Countdown to Extinction, Guns n Roses' Greatest Hits, and all my other Metallica cd's, I'll swipe Kill em All from my brother and listen to it. But until then, I've got MOP, RTL, and the Black Album, which f*cking rule!!! Anyway, first the pokemon person on the other page needs to curb that aggressive temper of his/her's. How old are you anyway? Don't you think its about time to give up pokemon? Sh*t, I quit playing around with that crap when I was in sixth grade. Also, to Kill3mAll, its alright if you talk like a wigger; ya still like Metallica right? Thats all that matters. Hell, I don't even know what a wigger is.[/QUOTE]

Most of those comments are a couple months old; I doubt you can reach them by now. Also, the person with the Pokemon avatar probably has that picture so people will learn not to judge him/her by it.

EddieVanHalen007 07-29-2004 02:56 PM

'Tis a good thrash album, pity Metallica have declined since 1988. Anyway, 4/5 from me. I wish Hammett had stuck with Satch's lessons, he could have become a much better guitarist.

maggot_b 07-29-2004 04:02 PM

[QUOTE=enjoi_baggy]When I read the title of this thread, I got really excited! But I was then let down to find out that it is the name of one of their albums.

Quite deceiving :([/QUOTE]

As much as I love Metallica, that is funny

Kill 'Em All has great songs, but hearing them live now really does what they said they do in whiplash "Kicks your arse, whips your face, makes you really sore"... especially when it's crowded and you have sunburn.

The Eb tuning and Het's beefed up modern vocals add a bit of a thwack to it. Now i'm going to listen to some bootlegs of Four Horsmen (Best song on the album)...

Four Horsmen and METAL MILITIA are definatley the best on the album
11/10 for 1983

mexicanfloydian 07-29-2004 06:12 PM

This is my 2nd fav metallica album, just before MoP. It's definitly a 5/5. Great review manuscriptreplica

Sonic_death 07-29-2004 08:34 PM

[QUOTE=dromedaryt]The simple reason for this solo being better than any other Metallica solo ever (except possibly the MOP solo) is that it's Hetfield, not Hammet. I don't like Hammet at all, he has no soul and never improvises, and when he does it sounds ****e.

I'd like to point out that the MOP solo is also Het...[/QUOTE]

Well you certainly have a mouth on you, don't you.. haha it seems you have not been to many metallica concerts?

if you think kirk cant improvise for nothing, than maybe you havent heard his random amazing doodles that he does at every concert, or seen all the improv he does.. and to say he has no soul???? thats bs if ive ever heard it :angry: he freaking wrote all of the rest of metallica solos, are those bad too?? cause you know, he has no soul and all

and there is more than 1 solo on MOP song, and hetfield only wrote the one where they are doing the synchronized solo

Anyways, Cliff Rules! lol :thumb:

metallicamaniac16 07-29-2004 08:45 PM

^ very good points

skmaggot 08-09-2004 08:24 PM

mmmmmmm, metallica, ahwhahwahgahlhglahwglhawlghlahwglahglhawl
ghlhalwhglwahlghalwhglwhglahlghlaglahwglahwlglawgh
i love all their work from the 80's. i quite despise everything else, except for garage, inc.

lunchbox320 08-09-2004 08:35 PM

i agree with u buddy i think all their 80s work was awsum. u now what most ppl 4got to mention, the fact that the most of the best songs on the cd were written by none other than dave mustaine so maybe y he was kicked out wasnt cuz he was a violent drunk maybe it was cuz james was a little jealous. nuthin against james hetfeild but com on but i do like motorbreath on that cd though.

owlandtree 08-13-2004 02:17 PM

Metallica is a wonderful pop music band. Their song's are easy, not too long, the kid's love them. They are so cute when they get angry. If anyone is learning how to play guitar or drums, I recommend learning some of their song's. They all seem to be in the same key and can be learned with little effort at all.

YDload 08-13-2004 02:33 PM

[QUOTE=owlandtree]Metallica is a wonderful pop music band. Their song's are easy, not too long, the kid's love them. They are so cute when they get angry. If anyone is learning how to play guitar or drums, I recommend learning some of their song's. They all seem to be in the same key and can be learned with little effort at all.[/QUOTE]

I know what you're thinking, but this album was different. Mustaine makes all the difference.

razor666 08-17-2004 12:42 AM

:evil: this cd is so good-they sre better live :thumb:

LimpedKoRniac 08-17-2004 03:13 AM

Awesome reviews

lol, Good reviews guys. Seek and destroy is a great song on it's own, but yeah... It does stand out from the "bouncing off the wall like a mad-man" feel from the rest of the album. It happens to be one of the first songs I figured out. My tab is posted on [COLOR=Yellow][URL=http://mxtabs.net/tab_versions.php?path=Guitar,m,799,Metallica,Seek+And+Destroy+%28rhythm%29,165162]MXTabs.net[/URL][/COLOR]. Enjoy it. lol. Oh yeah... Just like you guys, I discovered a beautiful sounding riff, but only to find out it is in the same chord prgression as the verses to Metallica's "Fade to black". I was heated when i found it out, 'cus I had allready shown it off. lol. :thumb: Great job.

:wave: Later

rocky2999 08-17-2004 08:15 PM

[QUOTE=rdavidson510]Kill 'Em All is Metallica's first album. This is one of Metallica's least heard albums, and probbally would have never been heard of if Cliff Burton wasn't in it.

Band: Metallica
kirk hammett - lead guitar
james hetfield - rhythm guitar, vocals
lars ulrich - drums
cliff burton - bass
Album: Kill 'Em All

Featured Songs:
[b]The Four Horsemen:[/b] Probbally my favorite song on the album, it takes you through 7 minutes of what Metallica is yet to come. Starting off with a fast riff with guitars+bass, it then breaks for a solo guitar riff, simular to the intro of "Master of Puppets". The song is then what Metallica became famour for, the thrashing metal sound with fast paced guitars and bass. Suddenly, the song goes into the interlude with a slower pace, which will later enter into the speedy verses and a guitar solo. Song is oddly simular to the song "Master of Puppets".
[b]Whiplash:[/b] A short song compared to what Metallica is yet to come up with in the years, but it gets the job done, with again highlighting on fast paced guitars.
[b]Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth):[/b] The song that made Cliff Burton who he was, it's a 4 minute bass solo on the cd, using effects such as distortion and wah. While the song it self is good, the effects do get a little scratchy here and there, and don't sound the greatest. But the solo overall is a great solo, and the fast paced ending with drums is just something you can rock out to.

[b]Track Listing[/b]
-Hit the Lights
-Four Horsemen
-Motorbreath
-Jump in Fire
-Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth)
-Whiplash
-Phantom Lord
-No remorse
-Seek and destroy
-Metal Militia

[b][i]Positive and negative effects of Album[/i][/b]
[b]Positive[/b]
Good Thrash sound. These songs are you can just rock out to and love, while Jame's vocals are scratchy (I'll get to that later), they just add to the thrash sound
Cliff Burton. Metallica's legend (who died shortly after the release of Master of Puppets) is featured here with his solo, and how he can use the bass wisely. While Jason (the bassist featured on later albums) is good, he's no Cliff Burton. Cliff just knew how to use the bass where and how to make that great sound.
Music is Great

[b]Negative[/b]
Vocals - The vocals are scratchy, most likely due to lack of high quality recording material. They DO add to the thrash sound, but an improved vocals would be better.
Bass - Great bass, but the bass seems to be turned a bit too high in recording process. But if your a bass lover, you won't question it.

4/5[/QUOTE]

highlighting on jason newsted...he wasnt as good as cliff burton in the skill department. BUT he contributed to metallica in a different way, instead of playing insane solos he created an intense stage presence, he could get the crowd in a frenzy. He still was a skillful bass player, you cant really hear his work too well in and justice and black album, but as the albums progressed you could hear the bass a bit more.

Tangy zizzle 08-17-2004 09:20 PM

Solid album.

3.4/5

metallicamaniac16 08-25-2004 09:25 PM

This album is incredible. The energy is so raw and the riffs and solos are so scorching that I can forget about James' vocals. Songs like Hit the Lights, Whiplash, and Metal Militia just make me want to get up and brake everything in the room. This one gets a 4.5/5. Thrash metal at it's best.

iwant_taquitos 08-28-2004 12:41 PM

hold it, wasnt dave mustaine was other guitarist in metallica for this cd?

_GanondorF_ 08-28-2004 01:04 PM

[quote] The song that made Cliff Burton who he was [/quote]

[quote] hold it, wasnt dave mustaine was other guitarist in metallica for this cd? [/quote]

no and no.

manuscriptreplica 08-29-2004 02:07 AM

Newsted is way better than Burton. Check his Flotsam and Jetsam stuff out, particuarly Metalshock, for proof.

YDload 08-29-2004 10:36 AM

Possibly, but Burton was better in Metallica.

manuscriptreplica 08-30-2004 05:39 PM

If you could hear Newsted's bass on AJFA, or just read the tabs, he has some crazy stuff on there. And after that, they simplified their sound, so it's not really a fair call to make.

YDload 08-30-2004 05:45 PM

[QUOTE=manuscriptreplica]If you could hear Newsted's bass on AJFA, or just read the tabs, he has some crazy stuff on there. And after that, they simplified their sound, so it's not really a fair call to make.[/QUOTE]

Well then, Burton is a showoff who was still great, and Newsted was playing under Burton's shadow poorly but is underrated nonetheless. I do realize that the title track to AJFA has some tough bass, but what's cooler: "Pulling Teeth" or "My Friend of Misery?"

manuscriptreplica 08-30-2004 06:35 PM

I haven't heard/can't remember 'My Friend of Misery' so i'll counteract that with: What's cooler: Metalshock (Flotsam and Jetsam) or Orion? Metalshock owns Orion 1000x in better bass-ness, and Orion is held in the highest regard as to Burton's apparant skill.

Iplaythegeeeeetar! 10-07-2004 08:43 PM

[QUOTE=manuscriptreplica]And you have a ridiculous avatar that is indecipherable. So what. And Mustaine is a god. Rust in Peace and Peace Sells are better than any Metallica album.

I don't like this album anymore. It's too generic. I've moved on to better things. Hit the Lights is still cool.[/QUOTE]
you're generic :P. I agree, Mustaine is a legend at riffriting(bad spelling intended), but, i mean, generic? This is a very original album.

Penner 10-07-2004 10:28 PM

Newsted is an underrated bassist. People don't realize that Bob Rock did some of the bass on some albums. I just wonder how good Cliff would be if he were here today. Rob Trujillo is also a sick bassist. He does the early speed-metal justice when he plays. To think he plays all that (especially Battery) with his fingers is awsome. I have a hard time playing 16th notes on my bass with a pick!!

blue3 10-10-2004 03:46 PM

Kill Em All is one of my favorite Metallica CDs. Seek and Destroy is awesome

Chu 10-10-2004 04:48 PM

[QUOTE=blue3]Kill Em All is one of my favorite Metallica CDs. Seek and Destroy is awesome[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with that, most people who listen to Metallica I know (And trust me, it's only a handful of people who I could trust with a good opinion) think that Seek and Destroy is the worst song on Kill 'em All.
I don't know why, but I love it!