Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pop-Punk (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Favourite 10 Albums of all time !!! (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360883)

Angry Balled Fists! 07-04-2005 10:19 AM

Favourite 10 Albums of all time !!!

So, what are your 10 favourite albums of al time, and why ?

Mine are :

[COLOR=DarkRed]1.[/COLOR] [B]Rancid - [I]...And out come the wolves[/I][/B]
Well, it's a classic. From the opening Maxwell Murders, with [I]that[/I] Bass Line to the closing, chanty Avenues and Alleyways it's all gold. No-album has given me such please listneing to. I got it on my Birthday a few years ago, and i was blown away.
[COLOR=Red]Best songs - Junkie Man, Journey to the end of the east bay and Avenues and Alleyways. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]2.[/COLOR] [B]Alkaline Trio - [I]Good Mourning[/I][/B]
My favourite Trio album, has a nice variety of tracks. The lyrics are amazing, and features some of their best work. The vocals are the strong pint for me, the pair duel up for some amazing songs, most notbale is the chorus to [I]Emma[/I].
[COLOR=Red]Best songs - Emma, This could be love and Every thug needs a lady.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]3.[/COLOR] [B]NOFX - [I]Punk in Drublic[/I][/B]
NOFX's best album, Punk in Drublic is hen they broke into the mainstream and has som many memorable tracks on it. It's funny, fast and happy. The lyrics are not to be taking meaningfuly, and it's full of silly songs. It's why we love them.
[COLOR=Red]Best songs - Linoleum, Jeff wears Birkensotcks, Reeko.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]4. [/COLOR] [B]Taking Back Sunday - [I]Tell all your friends [/I] [/B]
Excellent. I can't believe i went so long without listneing to them. Amazing songs, amazing vocals and amazing music. From the poppy, [I]Cute without the E[/I], to the heavier [I]Head Club[/I], its all good.he two vocalists link up is superb. The PERFECT Summer record.
[COLOR=Red]Best songs - Head Club, The ballad of San Villanueva and Great Romances of the 20th century.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]5.[/COLOR] [B]Thrice - [I]The Illusion Of Safety[/I][/B]
God, i love this album, every song is great. I love everything about it. Fast, heavy and emotional. Amazing guitar work. From the slower [I]Trust [/I] to the super fast [I]A Subtle Dagger[/I], it's an amazing album all round. I'm constantly humming/singing the music.
[COLOR=Red]Best songs - A Subtle Dagger, Betrayal is a symptom and The Red death[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]6.[/COLOR] [B]Operation Ivy - [I]Energy [/I] [/B]
Pre- Rancid goodness. 29 songs of fast, furious punk and ska. Catchy, happy, funky, good music. You can't really sum up how amazing and influential this album is.
[COLOR=Red]Best songs - Knowledge, Sound System and I've got no. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]7.[/COLOR] [B]Rancid - [I]Let's Go[/I][/B]
An amazing Rancid album, 22 tracks of fast, non-stop rock and roll.
The introduction of Lars to the band certainy added something new to Rancid. You will be chanting, singing and shouting along to this for years.
[COLOR=Red]Best song - Nihlism, Radio and Burn[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]8.[/COLOR] [B]Rise Against - [I]Revolutions Per Minute[/I][/B]
Superb. Fast, melodic, hard. The vocals are great and the guitar work is great. A very influential album for me. Full of great songs, includes the anthem, [I]Like the Angel[/I].
[COLOR=Red]Best songs - Black Masks and Gasoline, Like The Angel and Heaven Knows.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]9.[/COLOR] [B]Brand New - [I]Deja Entendu[/B][/I]
Very different to their fist album. This is a lot mellower, but the musicianship is amazing and the songs are superb. The album has so much variety aswell, formt he jazzy Jaws them swimming to the punky The Quiet things that no-one ever knows. The lyrics are excellent and is full of quality tracks.
[COLOR=Red]Best songs - Sic Transit Gloria, The Boy Who blocked his own shot and Guernica.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]10.[/COLOR] [B]Alkaline Trio - [I]From here to Infirmary [/I] [/B]
Lovely album, the band work great together in this and many call it their best album. As dark and deep as ever this album surely does feature some classics.
[COLOR=Red]Best songs - Private Eye, Take lots with alcohol and Another Innocent Girl.[/COLOR]

Go :thumb:

Kif 07-04-2005 10:21 AM

Of all time? [SIZE=2]Sh[/size]it, this is going to take some time

BRB

Angry Balled Fists! 07-04-2005 10:33 AM

eh, it's blood hard to do.

I tried to do mine without having too many albums form the same band in it.

Oz Rembrandt 07-04-2005 10:38 AM

1. From Here to Infirmary - The Alkaline Trio
My Introduction to the Mighty Trio, and this album firmly cemented them as my Favourite band of all time. Dark, Angry and beautiful.
Fav Songs: Mr. Chainsaw, Another Innocent Girl, Hell Yes

2. 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours - Green Day
Raw, and full of young excited energy, Green Day's first album still send a shiver up my my spine to this day, I love the sound of the poor mixing.
Fav Songs: Green Day, Paper Lanterns, Dry Ice

3. Static Age - The Misfits
Dark, Dark album, and back in Danzig days. This is an album that has changed my life.
Fav Songs: Last Caress, Return of Fly, Bullet

4. Sing the Sorrow - afi
Melancholy is how I see this album. Its beautifully constructed, musical genius and lyrically genius. This album brought the band to my attention.
Fav Songs: Bleed Black, Girls Not Grey, Dancing Through Sunday

5. Everything Sucks - The Descendents
This is true pop-punk. Songs about not wanting to grow up, and loving your best friend, its sheer teen angst genius. Fantastic bassplaying too.
Fav Songs: I'm The One, When I get Old

6. Pinkerton - Weezer
The Nerds got Darker! This album has so much emotion of teen life and breakup romances, backed with musical genius. I love it.
Fav Songs: Why Bother?, The Good Life, El Scorcho

7. ...and Out Come the Wolves - Rancid
My favourite album by this band, I love everything about it. The shouting, the lyrics of Dispear and boredom, the bass playing! Its all good.
Fav Songs: Maxwell Murder, Time Bomb, Olympia WA

8. Goddammit! - The Alkaline Trio
Gritty, less dramatic than later offerings, this album speak more about real life than later ones. Dan's Bass sounds gorgeous.
Fav Songs: Nose Over Tail, Southern Rock, Trouble Breathing

9. Staring at the Sea - The Cure
Beautiful, lyrical genius. Robert Smith's vocals are truly haunting, and the basslines are flowing and intresting, yet simple.
Fav Songs: Boys Don't Cry, The Lovecats, Jumping Someone Else's Train

10. Nimrod - Green Day
Their most talented album to date in my opinion, Billies songwrighting is at its most mature, and the bands playing is at its peak.
Fav Songs: Nice Guys Finish Last, Scattered, Worry Rock

Angry Balled Fists! 07-04-2005 10:41 AM

Good work, i was going to have Sing the sorrow in mine, but there was no room...

Kif 07-04-2005 10:43 AM

I thought you liked [I]Where You Want To Be[/i] more than [i]Tell All Your Friends[/i]?

Angry Balled Fists! 07-04-2005 10:44 AM

Meh, i did, but i thought about it and i don't anymore..

It's not quite as good.
It should be in my list, but i wanted room for bands which don't have an album in..

BassPlayer222 07-04-2005 11:02 AM

1.And Out Come The Wolves- Rancid
my favorite album at the moment. Every song is great. Matt freeman is one of the greatest bass players ever and Tim can really write some great songs.

2.Dookie- Green Day
The album that really made me wanna be part of the whole punk scene. Song after song of pure pop punk goodness

3.Ixnay On THe Hombre-The Offspring
The album that made me fall in love with the Offspring. Not one song on it i dont like. When i first got that album i listened to it for 5 days straight, i just couldnt put it down.

4.All Killer No Filler- Sum 41
Probably the most meaningful album to me personally. It was the first album i ever bought and it was the album that got me into the whole punk and pop punk scene. Even now the songs on it are still awesome and fun to listen to.

5.London Calling- The Clash
It really opened the doors of 70's punk rock for me. I really enjoy it becuase although it has the same punk rock attitude its done with style and good musicianship.

6.Sex, Love, and Rock n Roll- Social Distortion
The best album i bought this year. Finally Social Distortion are back after 8 years and this album couldnt have been a better some back. From Reach for the Sky all the the way to Angels Wings, i love every song, Mike Ness has definatly not lost his touch.

7. Everything Goes Numb- Streetlight Manifesto
The best ska album i ever heard. This album really made me fall in love with ska. One day i was in the cd store and saw it laying on the ground. I heard they were good so i gave it a listen. No Regrets.

8.Energy- Operation Ivy
Truly a great album. Its not just sh'itty 12 song one, its got 29 and all are incredible. This album really captured the East Bay punk scene and all the bands in it. The love of Gillmen Street and Lookout Records that the band had is really put in this album. RIP OP IV

9.Senses Fail- Let It Enfold You
The album that got me into screamo. The band has all great musicians and they write some of the best lyrics. This album is deffinatly the perfect album when your angry. I really enjoy it.

10. Descendents- Cool Too Be You
A perfect pop punk album. The band truly shines. It has a large variety from angry songs to songs about being bored to even a few love songs. This shows Descendents at their best and although many people dont agree IMO its the best work Descendents have ever done.

Jersey's Best Dancer 07-04-2005 11:13 AM

In order:

[B]Flogging Molly - Swagger[/B] A clash of Ireland's folk music and brute punk rock, it is an album that is very enjoyable. From the fast songs like Salty Dog and Devil's Dance Floor, to the great flok songs like The Worst Day SInce Yesterday and These Exiled Years.
Best Songs: Salty Dog, Selfish Man, The Like of You Again, Devil's Dance Floor

[B]Dropkick Murphys - The Gang's All Here[/B] The first album with Al Barr doing lead vocals and he didn't dissapoint. It is a fast and energetic album were you just get a little taste of the irish influences they use later on down the line. This is definently a classic punk rock album from DKM along with Do or Die,
Best Songs: Pipebomb on Lansdowne, Curse of a Fallen Soul, The Fighting 69th, The Gang's All Here

[B]Mad Caddies - Duck and Cover[/B] The caddies second release that fuses the most punk into their ska "dance anthems" then any other album. It starts off w/ the classic Road Rash ska song then right into a hard skacore song. This album is probably best know for its AMAZING horn line in the song Monkeys. If you play the trumpet or trombone, you should worship this song.
Best Songs: Road Rash, Macho Nachos, Monkeys, apathetic, Medium Unwell

[B]Rancid - Let's Go![/B] This album is one ofthe few albums I have that every song is fast, catchy and makes you wanna break stuff at the same time. It got me hooked right from when I heard Nihilism until 7 Years Down. A must have for fun, fast punk lovers.
Best Songs: Nihilism, Let's Go, Ghetto Box, St. Mary, International Cover Up

[B]Tiger Army - S/T[/B] The band that intraduced me to Psychobilly. This is a great disply of punk, psychobilly and rockabilly. It starts of with an energetic prelude and then kicks into Nocturnal, which has a schweet bass line. A stand out song is Twenty Flight Rock because it is an actual rockabilly song and is an extremely fun song to hear live.
Best Songs: Nocturnal, Never Die, Twenty Flight Rock, Werecat

[B]The Briggs - Numbers[/B] This album is amazing and it's the only one I recommend that everyone get. It starts of with a crazy anthem song which makes you want to pump your fist and sing along. Then there is a lot of good Oi! punk songs. Not one dissapoints. They have a celtic-Oi! song called Dead Men (Don't Tell Tales) which is a great song, especially by an Oi! band.
Best Songs: The whole album, but the Bestest are: 3rd World War, Media Control, Face Off, Red Alert, Head Shrink Dead Shrink

[B]Rise Against - Revolutions Per Minute[/B] A classic medolic hardcore album. It ranges from pop punk to "in your face" hardcore. It is an album that most punk fans could enjoy. It's transitions from hardcore to punk throughout the album keeps you intune with whats playing, not just like every song rolls into the next
Best Songs: Dead Ringer, Last Chance Blueprint, Torches, To the Core

[B]Streetlight Manifesto - Everything Goes Numb[/B] I don't really need to explain this album. Everyone knows how great they are. Their mix of ska and punk is like Keasby Nights with a twist. A great ska album that every ska fan should have.
Best Songs: Everything Went Numb, Point/Counterpoint, We are the Few, A moment of Violence

[B]Street Dogs - Back To the World[/B] The 2nd album from former DKM front man Mike McColgan. You hear a little DKM in the album, but it is truly a new sound from them. From union songs to songs about drinking, this album is a fun album to listen to and a great band live.
Best Songs: Strike A Blow, In Defense of Dorchester, Drink Tonight, Hands Down

[B]Lars Frederiksen and the Bastards - Viking[/B] If you haven't heard them before, you might think it'sa Rancid spin-off, but it a totally different feel. I would call it "Motorcycle Punk" cause if that was a genre, this would fit nice. It starts off with 3 really fast songs and then goes into 1%, which is a great song. The last song on the cd is called The Viking, which is about Lars and his life.
Best Songs - Skins Punx and Drunx, Fight, Switchblade, The Kids are Quiet on Sharmon Palms, Streetwise Professor

Kif 07-04-2005 11:14 AM

[b]10. The Offspring - Ixnay On The Hombre[/b]
"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the disclaimer!" These are the first words you hear when you put on this magnificent piece of punk-rock. Once the joke that is "Disclaimer" is over and done, you are treated to 13 pure pop-punk anthems, filled with the classic Offspring "Woah"'s and fast beats. I always thought this is the best Offspring record, some may disagree but that's just me. It's the borderline between their punk-rock roots and just making pop anthems for the masses. That's probably why I like it so much.

Best track: "Gone Away"

[b]9. Brand New - Your Favourite Weapon[/b]
I really wanted to put this ahead of [I]TAYF[/i] just to piss of US Dan. The fact that both are quite similar just made the choice harder, but this album falls slightly. Nevertheless, this is one hell of a pop-punk record. Jesse's high-school songwriting skills show here, with lots of angst behind his lyrics (See "Jude Law And A Semester Abroad" and "Seventy Times 7"). But still, he manages to pull off the charm with slower tracks like "Mix Tape" and the acoustic and gritty "Soco Amaretto Lime". It's hard not to like this CD if you like [i]Deja Entendu[/i].

Best track: "Seventy Times 7"

[b]8. Blink-182 - Dude Ranch[/b]
From the minute this album begins, you have to appreciate how much fun Blink had when they made it. I mean, songs on this album like "Voyeur", a tale of a peeper, "A New Hope", a tribute to Star Wars", and "Emo", a blatent shot at the genre, really prove the band's old pop-punk style. This album was Blink at their finest, with lots of simple 3 chord melodies and bad singing. But in the end, it's Blink. They could make a CD which is just them [size=2]sh[/size]itting for an hour and people would lap it up. So everyone praise this CD like it should be praised, because this is the best of Blink.

Best track: "Pathetic"

[b]7. Sum 41 - Does This Look Infected?[/b]
This album is really underated in my opinion. It's a collection of fantastically played pop-punk songs filled with "meaningful" lyrics. It's nothing that special on paper, but when you listen to it, you begin to realize how good of a band Sum 41 are. They can mix the heavy feel of metal with the catchy side of pop-punk together so well, and it's on this CD it shows best. Granted, from "The Hell Song" to "Hooch", most songs will sound the same. But they are so spectacular, it's just so fun to listen to. And then there's the trademark Sum 41 joke songs at the end. A little bit of a bonus for us Brits, and they make me smile everytime I hear them

Best track: "Hooch"

[b]6. Taking Back Sunday - Tell All Your Friends[/b]
When I first heard "You Know How I Do", and Adam started singing "So sick, so sick of being tired/And oh so tired of being sick", I knew what I was in for. A CD with 10 cheerful songs filled with tongue-in-cheek lyrics and excellent riffs. And this album really does deliver. You can't not like this CD, it's just so happy. Adam's voice might not be the greatest, but you can't help but sing along to the lyrics when you listen to this record. And the music is great as well for a pop-punk album; it's fast and hard, but at the same time it's melodic and amazing.

Best track: "Timberwolves At New Jersey"

[b]5. Millencolin - Pennybridge Pioneers[/b]
In terms of the pop-punk I listen to now, I think this is the first album to get me into it. It's just filled with skate-punk anthems that just make you want to move around all the time. I find myself singing along to a lot of the lyrics everytime I put this CD on. Sure, it isn't musically amazing, but in terms of the genre it's in, this album does it's job of creating anthems and feel-good songs to listen to. Even the finale, "The Ballad", an acoustic song which turns electric, is cheery (Even if the theme is a depressed person who's alone).

Best track: "Penguins And Polarbears"

[b]4. Finch - What It Is To Burn[/b]
It's no secret that Finch pretty much started the scene and the music we listen to today. Their ability to mix hardcore and heavy rhythms with catchy pop-punk melodies and lyrics really shines on this CD. And clocking in at just over 1 hour, it's hard to pick a favourite. There is a lot of variety on this CD as well. The poppy theme that is "Letters To You", the chaotically driven "Project Mayhem" or the ballad-esque "Ender" all serve as fantastic anthems for the pop-punk world of the 21st century.

Best track: "What It Is To Burn"

[b]3. Fall Out Boy - Take This To Your Grave[/b]
My new favourite band. This was probably one of the best of 2003, and is still high up in my list now (As you can see). It's filled with infectious melodies and angst-ridden lyrics (See "Tell That Mick He Just Made My List Of Things To Do Today), but at the same time, you can see the band never taking themselves too seriously and having fun with their music (See "Chicago Is So Two Years Ago"). Fall Out Boy have risen to become stars of the pop-punk scene, always expressing their hate for how fashion and accessories has to play a part in it. This CD expresses their views so well, and deserves to be in anyone's collection

Best track: "Tell That Mick He Just Made My List Of Things To Do Today"

[B]2. The Get Up Kids - Something To Write Home About[/b]
I took this band 4 years to create this album, but I'm so thankful they did. This album is packed to the brim with catchy pop-punk numbers filled with emotive lyrics. Matt's voice is at it's best on this CD, sounding very powerful and passionate in every song. From the slide intro to "Holiday" to the 'lighters at the ready" piano-based anthem that is "I'll Catch You", this CD is amazing.

Best track: "I'll Catch You"

[b]1. Brand New - Deja Entendu[/b]
Most people here know I am obsessed with this band. This is a masterpiece as far as I am concerned. Lyrically and musically, the album takes you on a journey through sex, drink and guilt and you can feel Jesse pouring his heart out in every song on this. And the music, it's ever-changing. From the jazzy "Sic Transit Gloria... Glory Fades" and "Jaws Theme Swimming" to the acoustic "The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot" and "Play Crack The Sky" to the pure pop-punk "The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows" and "Guernica", every song has it's moment on this CD.

Best track: "Okay I Believe You, But My Tommy Gun Don't"

Angry Balled Fists! 07-04-2005 11:19 AM

Great work Kif :thumb:

Gnarmageddon 07-04-2005 11:20 AM

I don't think it would be possible for me to do this. I might think about it later when I have more time.

Kif 07-04-2005 11:27 AM

I changed my list round so many times. I had [i]White Trash, Two Heebs And A Bean[/i] in there at one time, but had to bump it out :(

Angry Balled Fists! 07-04-2005 11:28 AM

Haha, same. I had Pump up the valuum and Stranger than Fiction in mine at one point...

Twat_Out_Of_Hell 07-04-2005 12:07 PM

NOFX- White Trash, Two Heebs And A Bean

NOFX- So Long And Thanks For All The Shoes

Rise Against- Revolutions Per Minute

Bad Religion- Suffer

Lightyear- Chris Gentleman's Hairdresser

Descendents- Everything Sucks

Stiff Little Fingers- Inflammable Material

NOFX- Punk In Drublic

Bouncing Souls- How I Spent My Summer Vacation

Captain Everything- It's Not Rocket Science

Leftover Crack- Mediocre Generica

The Filaments- What's Next?

Leftover Crack- F'uck World Trade

NOFX- Ribbed

Lightyear- Call Of The Weasel Clan

Bouncing Souls- Hopeless Romantic

Dead Kennedys- Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables

Bad Religion- No control

The Vandals- Hitler Bad, Vandals Good

I'm sorry, i honestly cannot narrow that down at all. I tried and couldn't. And there's more that i could put up. Sorry :(

I will try and narrow it down and edit in descriptions tomorrow

cbmartinez 07-04-2005 12:09 PM

[B]1. Poison The Well- You Come Before You[/B]
The first five CDs on my list I can say honestly changed my life and not one changed it more than [I]You Come Before You[/I]. My first and favorite Poison The Well album, as far as I'm concerned this album is a moden day masterpiece. The Cd has a perfect mix of beauty and brutality and thanks to the eerie jam sessions placed between each of the tracks, the album flows perfectly. This album has scared me, made me cry and gotten me thrashing and will always hold the number one spot.

[B]2. Converge- Jane Doe[/B]
Again, this album to me is musical perfection. Who could ever thought such chaos could be so beautiful? From the fu[B][I][/I][/B]cking explosive grind intro of "Concubine" to the epic 12 minute album closer "Jane Doe," [I]Jane Doe[/I] holds your attention. The production is perfect, the intstruments are insanely technical and Bannon's unholy shrieks are mindblowing. [I]Jane Doe[/I] gives [I]You Come Before You[/I] a run for it's money but lands at second.

[B]3. Thurdsay- Full Collapse[/B]
Full Collapse opened a whole new world of music to me. It showed me what beauty and emotion really are. The album is complete in every way. And to this day Thursday remains to be one of the few bands that uses screaming productively, as an output of extreme emotion. This album changed my life in so many ways.

[B]4. Thrice- The Illusion Of Safety[/B]
Every song on this Cd is incredible. Teppei's guitar work is mindblowing and Dustin's emotional sreams truly bring the songs to life. Songs range from the soft melodies of "Trust" to the start stop dissonance of "Kill Me Quickly." And of course "Deadbolt." An extremely solid album.

[B]5. Sytem Of A Down- Mesmerize[/B]
Toxicity used to hold this spot, but [I]Mesmerize [/I] won me over. Serj and Daron's playful lyrics and breathtaking harmonies make this CD SOAD's best effort. Sure, sometimes I miss the brutal metal craziness of Toxicty but [I]Mesmerize[/I] is truly the perfect direction for SOAD.

[B]6. Chevelle- Wonder What's Next[/B]
Chevelle get a ridiculous amount of **** for being simplistic and while this is true, they sure did create a hell of an album with WWN. This album is ****ing heavy and the dark feel of tracks like "Grab Thy Hand" just enhance this. It's a shame so many people won't give this album a chance, it's truly fantastic.

[B]7. The Starting Line- Say It Like You Mean It[/B]
There's nothing really life changing about this one, just an amazing album. Every song is good, the leads are catchy, the harmonies are incredible. It's just good, catchy pop-punk and I can listen to it over and over without getting bored.

[B]8. Saves The Day- Through Being Cool[/B]
Just another fantastic upbeat pop-punk album. The lyrics are clever, the choruses are impossible to forget, and Chris' vocals soar. Again, not one bad song.

[B]9. The Blood Brothers- This Adultery Is Ripe[/B]
By far the Blood Brothers best effort. This CD takes the line between genius and insanity and dances back and forth over it. The lyrics paint graphic scenes of childbirth, surgery gone wrong and other frightening scenarios. Truly a spazzy masterpiece.

[B]10. Rancid- ...And Out Come The Wolves[/B]
My first and favorite punk album. Every song is full of raw guitars, speedy bass and Armstrong's gritty signature vocals. From the in your face speed of "Maxwell Murder" to the catchy choruses of "Ruby Soho," this album has it all.

[B]HM: Hopesfall- The Satellite Years[/B]

Angry Balled Fists! 07-04-2005 01:34 PM

Good job Chris...

Nice to see AOCTW too :p

cbmartinez 07-04-2005 01:37 PM

Yeah, I wish I could play the "Maxwell Murder" solo. :upset:

Angry Balled Fists! 07-04-2005 01:39 PM

haha...

As soon as i listened to it, i literally went straight to the computer and got tabs for almost every song on it..

cbmartinez 07-04-2005 01:43 PM

Same, I can still play every song. I remember playing the intro to "Journey To The End Of The East Bay" over and over for an hour and a half until I got it down.

Firecracker 07-04-2005 01:44 PM

I'll be back with this when i've worked it out.

Angry Balled Fists! 07-04-2005 01:45 PM

[QUOTE=cbmartinez]Same, I can still play every song. I remember playing the intro to "Journey To The End Of The East Bay" over and over for an hour and a half until I got it down.[/QUOTE]

I wish i played Bass for that line itself...

hey, you're not cory! 07-04-2005 02:28 PM

[b]Honorable Mentions:[/b] Thursday - [i]Full Collapse[/i], Vendetta Red - [i]Between the Never and the Now[/i], At the Drive-In - [i]Vaya[/i], Armor for Sleep - [i]What To Do When You Are Dead[/i] and Fall Out Boy - [i]From Under the Cork Tree[/i]

[b]10.[/b] Straylight Run - [i]Straylight Run[/i]

I bought this cd without ever hearing the band and was very sketchy about it. But as soon as I heard John Nolan amazing voice singing over nothing but a piano in "The Perfect Ending" I knew I was in for something. Every song on this cd is beautiful and they lyrics are perfect. I even like "Tool Sheds and Hot Tubs". John Nolan is one of the best song writers I've ever heard and this cd showcases his amazing talents beautifully.

[b]Favorite tracks:[/b] "Existentialism on Prom Night", "The Tension and the Terror", "Sympathy for the Martyr"

[b]9.[/b] The Academy Is... - [i]Almost Here[/i]

A perfect pop cd full of catchy chrouses, sing-a-long verses, brilliant lyrics and just all around awesomeness. Of all the pop-punk bands to emerge from the Chicago scene in recent years these guys are the best and they've perfected that sound on this cd. William Beckett is a great songwriter and lyricist as well. These guys are going to be huge.

[b]Favorite Tracks:[/b] "Black Mamba", "The Phrase That Pays", and "Skeptics and True Believers"

[b]8.[/b] Monday in London - [i]The Red Machine[/i]

Thursday meets Coheed and Cambria. Full of really interesting guitar riffs and catchy music that is still heavy and makes its presense felt. The best part of this cd though is the singer. His voice can do so many different things and he really knows how to use it. The lyrics are also very interesting and fit the mood of the music well. This cd is perfect all around and I regret putting off listening to it for so long. Definitly one of the absolute best bands to come from this new "emo" wave. RIP Monday in London.

[b]Favorite tracks:[/b] "The New You", "The Queen, the Meek and Their Disease", and "A Good Friend, a Worse Enemy"

[b]7.[/b] Underoath - [i]They're Only Chasing Safety[/i]

Hands down the best cd of 2004 in my opinion. The 8 songs on here that Underoath wrote are 8 of the best songs I've ever had the pleasure of hearing. Even the interlude is so perfect it gives me chills. The lyrics are incredible. The choruses are soaring and will be stuck in your head for days. Spencer's scream is incredible. Aaron's ability to sing and drum is also superb. They may have drastically changed their sound but in my opinion it was definitly for the better. The only weak point of the cd is the last song (written by Aaron Marsh of Copeland) but it even kicks a[size=2]ss[/size] at the end.

[b]Favorite Tracks:[/b] "Reinventing Your Exit", "Its Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door", "Down, Set, Go"

[b]5 b.[/b]Coheed and Cambria - [i]In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3[/i]
The second effort by Co&Ca is a different sound but it definitly works for them. They take a turn towards the more progressive side of the band and pull it off perfectly. The music differs from extremely poppy ("Blood Red Summer") to fast and heavy ("Velorium Camper" songs). Claudio's voice is even better on this cd than the first one and the guitars are complex and the drumming is excellent. Everytime you listen to it you hear something new.

[b]Favorite Tracks:[/b] "In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3", "Velorium Camper III: Al the Killer", "A Favor House Atlantic"

[b]5 a.[/b] Coheed and Cambria - [i]The Second Stage Turbine Blade[/i]

Co&Ca's debut album is a mix of emo, metal, and prog rock that comes together to make musical perfection. Every song on this cd is brilliant in its own way and each one is very different from the last with something unique to offer. The vocals and guitars are too good for words to describe. The rhythm section rounds it out as the backbone of all the craziness thats going on. The lyrics are insanely catchy and you'll be singing them for days. This is why I love music.

[b]Favorite tracks:[/b] "Junesong Provision", "Neverender", "Delirium Trigger"

[b]4.[/b] At the Drive-In - [i]Relationship of Command[/i]

I could've put any of ATDI's last three releases ([i]Relationship of Command, IN/Casino/Out,[/i] or [i]Vaya[/i]) in this spot as I love them all about equally. However I chose this one as I probably enjoy listening to it the most. This is my favorite band ever and this cd is just them doing what they've always done and making it available for you to sing along to while you listen to it. Every aspect of this cd is pure brilliance. Vocally, lyrically, the guitars, the bass lines, the drums, all of it is better than your favorite bands.

[b]Favorite tracks:[/b] "One Armed Scissor", "Enfilade", "Invalid Litter Dept."

[b]3.[/b] Piebald - [i]We Are the Only Friends We Have[/i]

This band should be everyone's favorite. They are great at writing fun songs that anyone can enjoy. This cd is just them at their best. Every single track is just perfect. I listened to this cd for about 3 monthes straight and even now it still doesn't get old.

[b]Favorite tracks:[/b] "American Hearts", "Karate Chops for Everyone But Us", "The Stalker"

[b]2.[/b] Brand New - [i]Deja Entendu[/i]

What can I say about this cd that hasn't already been said before. Its fantastic and it makes me feel miserable and happy at the same time. Jesse can write songs and his lyrics are the best in the pop punk universe. The songs are catchy and at the same time dark and moody. There is nothing bad about this cd and it deserves all the mainstream attention that it got if not more. They shot for something totally different with this release and nailed it, not only did they out do [i]Your Favorite Weapon[/i] they out did every other cd that was released in 2003.

[b]Favorite tracks:[/b] "Okay, I Believe You, But My Tommy Gun Don't", "The Quiet Things The No One Ever Knows", "Sic Transit Gloria...Glory Fades"

[b]1.[/b] Taking Back Sunday - [i]Tell All Your Friends[/i]

Well there you have it. This cd combines catchy pop music with fantastic duel vocals and the best songwriting I've ever heard. I've yet to listen to this cd and find a flaw...and I've listened to it quite a few times. They more or less brought in this new era of "emo" music and this cd single handedly changed my views and tastes on music. Every time I hear it I can't help but sing along with every single word and throw my hair around and just enjoy it. Its brilliant.

[b]Favorite tracks:[/b] "Theres No 'I' in Team", "Cute Without the 'E' (Cut From the Team)", "Timberwolves at New Jersey"

Sorry, I couldn't pick between the Coheed cds :upset:

Kif 07-04-2005 02:40 PM

I so wanted to include [i]Almost Here[/i] and [i]Relationship Of Command[/i] on mine :(

Untitled 07-04-2005 02:42 PM

I dunno my list, but it would have in it somewhere

Blink182- Dude Ranch
Taking Back Sunday- Tell All Your Friends
Brand New - Deja Entendu
Greenday - Nimrod.

cobert 07-04-2005 06:28 PM

Here it goes....

[B]10. Green Day- Dookie[/B]
Back in 1994/1995, i had a very, very limited mind when it came to music. Actually, i didnt know any bands names or any song titles, i just knew a fwe songs that i liked. I discovered not to long after that most of them were frmo this CD. Dookie was the album that got me into music in the first place, so i hold this in a special place.

Best Track- Having a Blast

[B]9.Brand New- Deja Entendu[/B]
I didnt like Your favorite weapon. It was mostly boring, save a few tracks. But with Deja Entendu, Brand new Grew up and made a great album, filled with emotion. As soon as i first heard 'im sinking like a stone in the sea', i knew this album would be different. Soon enough, i was filled with pansy-juice after hearing such sad songs like guernica and mellowed out acoustic songs like "Play crack the sky".

Best Track- Sic Transit Gloria....Glroy Fades

[B]8.The Mars Volta- Frances the Mute[/B]
Ive never been to big on overly wierd music, but the mars volta have found some way to get into my head. This is the perfect album for long drives....everything except the radio-friendly "the widow" is over 10 minutes long. The cryptic lyrics and rbitching guitar work keeps me coming back trying to find out what the **** cedric and omar were thinking when they came up with this stuff.

Best Track- l'via l'viaquez

[B]7.Thursday- Waiting[/B]
This CD was a sign of greater things to come. Though only 9 songs, they were almost all good in one way or the other, from the catchy "Ian Curtis" to the depressing, haunting song about suicide, "Porcelain".

Best Track- Porcelain, or streaks in the sky.

[B]6. The Mars Volta- De-loused In the Comatorium[/B]
This is the CD that got me into the mars volta. Actually, i first discovered them through ATD-I, then i got the song "televators" and needed more. I went out and immediately ordered this from my record store, and I wasnt dissapointed. The buildup through "Son et lumiere" bursts into "Inertiac ESP', and the album is non-stop awesome, up until the greatest closing track ever made...."Take the Veil....Cerpin Taxt".

Best Track- Take the Veil....Cerpin Taxt

[B]5. At the Drive-In- Relationship of Command[/B]
This is an instant classic. From the first time i downloaded "One Armed Scissor" i loved it. ROC finds harmony between rhythm and pure chaos (rhythm would later become sparta, and chaos the mars volta). Songs such as the eerie "Invalid Litter Department" and the spaz-tastic "Arcarsenal" are great, and "Quarantined" has one of the best intros ive ever heard.

Best Track- Pattern Against User

[B]4.Coheed and Cambria- In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3[/B]
A phone ringing followed by footsteps and a womans voice answering with "hello"....and so it began. IKSOSE:3 is an epic albu in every respect. After the phone is answered, a short orchestral piece plays, leading into the classic 8-title track. From there, the album ranges from dark and heavy (The camper velorium III: Al the Killer) to poppy and fun (Blood Red Summer, Three Evils), and closes with coheeds only song that oculd be considered a "slow song", titled 'the light and the glass'.

Best Track- The Crowing

[B]3.Thursday- Full collapse[/B]
This album is near perfection. Thursday have displayed their evolution since the album "waiting", and that they have mastered the art of dueling guitars. The guitars are so perfectly layered, in fact, the album almost seems as if it was recorded underwater. Every line of lyrics seems like it could go beneath some myspace-whores scene picture, which sounds like an insult, but honestly....theyre amazing. The verse to "Cross out the eyes" ('We can rise, on the wings of the dove....') is always ringing in my ears, and the chant of "Im falling down" at the end of 'How long is the night?' gives me goosebumps. The surprising thing is....ive never heard anything from this band when i bought this album, it was just out of curiosity.

Best Track- I honestly cant pick, every song is equally awesome.

[B]2.Coheed and Cambria- The Second Stage Turbine Blade[/B]
Back in 2003, me and my sister both had the chorus to 'A Favor House Atlantic' ringing in our heads while on the way to the mall. Me and my mom left her to go buy the album, and its name was still unclear to us. We got back in the car, turned it on....and were both dissapointed. No 'bye bye beaitiful' or 'good eye sniper' sounding songs. At home, i took the album and gave it a shot. It began with a semi-boring piano piece, then going into a lame-a'ss blues-esque guitar piece and high-pitched singing.. Later in the album, i heard terrible, terrible screaming in 'Hearshot Kid Disaster', and more lameness in an attempt to be heavy in the song "neverender". Right after i had to hear another piano piece at the end of the way-too-long fadeout to "Godsend Conspirator", i went downstairs and poured a huge glass of Dr. Pepper (best drink ever made), and sat down and started to watch a hill-billy filled episode of cops. Then it dawned on me.....'Holy S'hit, that album was awesome'.

Best Track- 33, or Time Consumer

Heres the big one

DRUM ROLL

DRUM ROLL

DRUM ROLL

DRUM ROLL

DRUM ROLL

DRUM ROLL

DRUM ROLL

DRUM ROLL

DRUM ROLL

[B]1.Taking Back Sunday- Tell All Your Friends[/B]
Beautiful. Its just Beautiful. Every song is perfectly written, the vocals are perfect, the bridges are amazing, and....i dont even know where im going with this. This album is mind-blowingly good. It has the perfect blend of pop and the new-age emo, a genre it helped popularize (In the process bringing in tons of retarded scenesters and tons of clones). It makes me feel so happy and somewhat depressed all at once with songs that start out slow and have absolutely chaotic train-wreck endings, like "Timberwolves At New Jersey" or "Ghost Man on Third", not to mention just about every breakdown in any TBS song is insanely catchy. Actually, forget me calling 'Take the Veil' by the mars volta the best album-ender ever, "Head Club" fromt his album ties it, maybe it even beats it. Tell All Your Friends is what formed my taste in music, and is the reason i bought every album i buy anymore, which is something im very thankful for.

Best Track- Great Romances of the 20th century OR cute without the 'e' OR Timberwolves at New jersey.

I had trouble putting IKSOSE all the way back at 4th.

Ganondorf 07-05-2005 01:06 AM

5.The Academy Is....Almost Here - Everyone on these forums said hw brilliant this band was, so I thought I'd check them out, and yeah, they're d[I]am[/I]n good :thumb: Basically all the songs are brilliant, with great hooks and generally an upbeat feel to them. Black Mamba is awesome.

4.Taking Back Sunday - Tell All Your Friends - Got into this band through Brand New, but in reality, they're pretty different. The dueling vocals give it a cool dynamic, and generally the songs are just really well written. The lyrics are also pretty cool, if not a bit cliched now. Songs like Timberwolves In New Jersey are instant classics.

3.RHCP - Californication - This album is just bada[I]s[/I]s, with a lot of the more undderated songs such as This Velvt Glove and Emit Remers being my favoourites. The bass on this album is really good, and me being a bass player, it is pretty inspirational. You can just feel how John's re-emergence really gave this band a new life and energy. A great album, that makes you feel like you're in the Scar Tissue video, crusin; in the desert. :cool:

2. Kanye West - The College Dropout - I never thought I'd like a rap album this much, but this album is just brilliant. The lyrical matter is more than just 'money ho's an' rims', and has the udnerlying theme of Kanye criticizng the American education system. It is still very fun however, and guest stars such as Mos Def, Jay-Z and Common give it a lot of varitey.

1. Brand New - Deja Entendu - When I first heard this album, I was like 'oh shi, this sucks', but after I listened to it again, I realised how great it was. The lyrics are really cool, and I love how they can switch between the high tempo songs such as Glory Fades and Gurenica and to slower, more poigniant songs such as Me vs Elvis vs Maradona.

incoobus 07-05-2005 07:45 AM

some of my favorite artists are elton john and elliot smith, but my to 10 "pop- punk"albums are(if you consider this bands pop punk, but i dont know about genra's any more, dont buy into them)- they suck-....... sum 41- chuck, (good charlotte- the chronicles of life and death, simple plan- still not getting any...)--dont care what anybody says. afi- sing of sorrow, taking back sunday-tell all your friends, motion city soundtrack- commit this to memory and i am the movie, brand new- deja entendu,. thats all i can come up with....im drunk. most of the bands the people named above me are not "pop punk" they're either hard core or emo<YO> don vito

Surtr 07-05-2005 09:39 AM

I'll give top 3, as I'm to lazy this morning to do 10.

[B]3.Taking Back Sunday-Tell All Your Friends[/B]
Great album. Almost every song is written great, with the exception of Head Club, and are fun to sing along with. I love the way that they have multiple lyrics going at the same time.

[B]2.Blink 182-Enema Of The State[/B]
Catchiest album EVER! All these songs will be stuck in your head for years to come, as they are stuck in mine. Although some song's such as All The Small Thing's were heavily overplayed it's still a great album. I get a few odd looks when me and a friend or two will be walking around school singing some of these songs but whatever!

[B]1.Blink 182-Dude Ranch[/B]
Every single song on this album is ace! From begining to end I sing along with this album, including the occasional part where it just fit's to whip out your air guitar! This is pretty much the last album where Tom show's his true abilities. The drumming is slightly repetitive but it's fit's with the music really well, couldn't imagine any other kind of drumming with these songs.

Ganondorf 07-05-2005 10:02 AM

[QUOTE=RevengeOnTheNumber2]I'll give top 3, as I'm to lazy this morning to do 10.

[B]3.Taking Back Sunday-Tell All Your Friends[/B]
Great album. Almost every song is written great, with the exception of Head Club, and are fun to sing along with. [B]I love the way that they have multiple lyrics going at the same time.[/B]
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's reaalllllyyy cool. :thumb: