Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Punk (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Emo Community Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226512)

iliketoplaydrums10111 08-19-2004 10:24 PM

Emo Community Thread

Read the official list below.

sup niggas?

AKid2 08-20-2004 12:15 AM

Anybody here like Underoath? I think they are pretty sweet.

BuddyBigsby 08-20-2004 12:25 AM

*helped with above list*

as for song recommendations, everyone go out and download one of the most amazing songs ever.

Portrait - Constellations of a Stargazing Iris

Screamo with a violinist.

BuddyBigsby 08-20-2004 12:26 AM

[QUOTE=AKid2]Anybody here like Underoath? I think they are pretty sweet.[/QUOTE]

Ah, the first of the ignorant. *draws sword*

iliketoplaydrums10111 08-20-2004 12:31 AM

boo

BuddyBigsby 08-20-2004 12:34 AM

[QUOTE=iliketoplaydrums10111]:lol:

Has anyone heard 18 visions last album?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but it's straight up rock. See my review of it in CD Reviews.

srt-4 08-20-2004 01:38 AM

well, if you are looking for specific songs, some of my favorites after having listened to some of dfelon's recommendations are:

Hot Cross - Patience and Prudence
Between Minutes and Miles
Finger Redux
Pretty Picture of a Broken Face
Fortune Teller

Saetia - Notres Langues Nous Trompent
Venus and Bacchus

Planes Mistaken for Stars - Thunder in the Night Forever
Copper and Stars
Emo Diaries
The Past Two

BuddyBigsby 08-20-2004 01:53 AM

Ahem. "An Open Letter", anyone?

shane italian 08-20-2004 01:57 AM

Song Of Zarathustra "Tame"
Pg99 "Your Face Is A Rape Scene"
The Paper Chase "I Did A Terrible Thing"

hybridofsound 08-20-2004 04:20 AM

Can anybody suggest some The (International) Noise Conspiricy for me to download? Ago they're hardcore, well I think I haven't heard anything by them to actually know.

shane italian 08-20-2004 04:30 AM

[QUOTE=hybridofsound]Can anybody suggest some The (International) Noise Conspiricy for me to download? Ago they're hardcore, well I think I haven't heard anything by them to actually know.[/QUOTE]Not hardcore. Indie...post-punk...something along those Swedish lines.

hybridofsound 08-20-2004 04:37 AM

I see. Any songs? I don't really feel like making a thread.

shane italian 08-20-2004 04:50 AM

Hmm...I could give you the two I know of from my Punk-o-Rama comps.
"Up For Sale"
"Smash It Up"

GloryFaded 08-20-2004 09:16 AM

[QUOTE=hybridofsound]Can anybody suggest some The (International) Noise Conspiricy for me to download? Ago they're hardcore, well I think I haven't heard anything by them to actually know.[/QUOTE]

A new Morning,Changing Weather

XemoXmoshXpitX 08-20-2004 09:18 AM

Is Blindside considered screamo? I am going to see them today, but I've only heard one of their songs, so I wouldn't know.

Also: Someone sticky this! There have been too many emo threads floating around in several forums.

iliketoplaydrums10111 08-20-2004 10:35 AM

I hope this thread is mod endorsed so it doesn't turn into flames/spam

sink sink 08-20-2004 09:22 PM

...I'll just comment a bit on the list posted up there

I Hate Myself - yay!
Amanda Woodward - Good, plus it's French, so it's kinda sexy ;)
Circle Takes the Square - Crazy good
The Kite-Flying Society - They only have a few songs and then broke up, right? Too bad.
Cowboys Became Folk Heroes - They also only have a few songs, hopefully they'll be making more music soon. I hope they don't end up like the afore mentioned band.

And I would add Portraits of Past and maybe Stop It!!, but I don't think they're really considered emo/screamo.

sink sink 08-20-2004 09:29 PM

And I learned about a lot of these bands from [url]http://www.ihatemusic.org[/url] (well, I guess it's a forum now). Sadly, the site is dead now, but it might come back someday. Until then you can hang out in the Soulseek chatroom of the same name: ihatemusic.org

srt-4 08-21-2004 12:04 AM

[QUOTE=XemoXmoshXpitX]Is Blindside considered screamo? I am going to see them today, but I've only heard one of their songs, so I wouldn't know.
[/QUOTE]

i would also like to know what genre blindside is exactly. i of course know they aren't emo/scream, but i dont' know what they are. my guess would be post-hardcore? i have asked on here before, but never got a good answer.

BuddyBigsby 08-21-2004 01:44 AM

Blindside are pretty much just rock now. Used to be hardcore.

BuddyBigsby 08-21-2004 01:46 AM

[QUOTE=sink sink]The Kite-Flying Society - They only have a few songs and then broke up, right? Too bad.
Cowboys Became Folk Heroes - They also only have a few songs, hopefully they'll be making more music soon. I hope they don't end up like the afore mentioned band.
[/QUOTE]

Actually, I asked some guy from Florida (where KFS reside) about them and he said they're still together, just that they've been quiet. Apparently their new stuff isn't that great though. I heard they also did a split or something with Cowboys.

Happymeal 08-21-2004 06:14 AM

Anyone here know The Fall Of Troy? They're kinda ATDI-ish but I don't know if they're emo/screamo

br3ad_man 08-21-2004 06:52 AM

Ok, can someone help me here. Some people call Brand New emo. DFelon reckons there pop-punk. How can they be emo when they sound nothing like bands such as Circle Takes The Square. How can they be pop-punk when they sound nothing like Simple Plan, Good Charlotte or Green Day?

Kif said they were "Alternative Emo" once, that seems like a reasonable classification to me.

GloryFaded 08-21-2004 09:41 AM

Why can't people just call Brand New emo! Cause that's what they are! Just because they don't sound like circle takes the square doesn't mean their not emo. Most people who have listened to any Brand New Album all the way though would agree there emo.You can call them 'alternative emo' if you want but the key word in that sentance is emo, hence thats what they are.

BuddyBigsby 08-21-2004 12:24 PM

[QUOTE=GloryFaded]Why can't people just call Brand New emo! Cause that's what they are! Just because they don't sound like circle takes the square doesn't mean their not emo. Most people who have listened to any Brand New Album all the way though would agree there emo.You can call them 'alternative emo' if you want but the key word in that sentance is emo, hence thats what they are.[/QUOTE]

Brad, read this.

No, they are not emo. Bottom line. Do you even know where emo came from? Can you trace the path of the genre to bands like Brand New? No, you can not. Emo started out as Emotional Hardcore with bands like Rites of Spring, Antioch Arrow, etc. Go listen to those bands now. The only thing that has changed about emo since those bands is that it has gotten heavier. Emo sounds nothing like Brand New, Taking Back Sunday, or any of that. It is not poppy. If there's one thing emo is not, it is poppy.

I'm not sure why bands like Brand New get called emo, but my guess is that when Sunny Day Real Estate came out, people started calling them emo. But they weren't. They were what's considered Post-Emo Indie Rock. I usually say Post-Emo for short (so as not to confuse it with Indie). After SDRE happened, a million clones popped up and a few years later we have bands like Brand New. The music has changed since SDRE, but the false label remains. Have you even heard Circle Takes the Square? Give them a listen. [url]www.hxcmp3.com/circle_takes_the_square[/url]

sink sink 08-21-2004 01:58 PM

[QUOTE=BuddyBigsby]Actually, I asked some guy from Florida (where KFS reside) about them and he said they're still together, just that they've been quiet. Apparently their new stuff isn't that great though. I heard they also did a split or something with Cowboys.[/QUOTE]
Ah, thanks.

hums_like_a_TELECASTER 08-21-2004 07:18 PM

omg, you guys, are just lame, you have NO clue what screamo or emo is, and underoath IS SCREAMO! morons, i'll give a list of good emo/screamo bands,

Screamo:
Hidden In Plain View
Finch
Underoath

Emo:
brand new
the early november
straylight run
taking back sunday
Coheed & cambria
Matchbook romance

thats not all, im just not in the mood to think right now, but thats just to give you some examples

hums_like_a_TELECASTER 08-21-2004 07:25 PM

Oh and madison for a screamo band, they are amazing, but i suggest you all listen to the bands i have on the list so you'll smarten up

[url]www.purevolume.com/hiddeninplainview[/url]
[url]www.purevolume.com/finch[/url]
[url]www.purevolume.com/madison[/url]
[url]www.purevolume.com/takingbacksunday[/url]
[url]www.purevolume.com/underoath[/url]

download straylight's music at: [url]www.straylightrun.com[/url]

and you can listen to hiddeninplainview/theearlynovember/finch at:
[url]www.drivethrurecords.com[/url]

Happymeal 08-21-2004 09:36 PM

Can't find emo cd's anywhere.. And I don't download mp3(this laptop sucks). Did they release their albums(Rites Of Spring, Indian Summer, etc etc..haven't listened to them yet) only on vinyl?

Hey DFelon, have you heard of The Fall Of Troy?? They're nothing groundbreaking really, but they have a tight sound("Ghostship Part Four" is ATDi-ish). [url]www.purevolume.com/thefalloftroy[/url] In what category do they fit in?? Sorry to bother you and all.. but no one else here seems to notice them..

alkaline1832 08-21-2004 09:58 PM

Alkaline Trio
Tuesday